Found Deceased MD - Rachel Morin, 37, left for walk on Ma & Pa Trail 6pm, car found at Williams St entrance, Bel Air, 5 Aug 2023 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There was talk of Rachel being "distracted" her last week alive. I wonder if she was distracted in a *good* way? She was in a new relationship and probably happy and in love! I know how new relationships can sometimes consume all your thoughts and time. Could this be why she was "distracted"?

"Ms Woltz, who hired Morin’s cleaning services, also said that she seemed distracted during the week before her death."
It was reported quite widely earlier in the case that RM’s baby niece had died a week before she went missing. I suspect it might have been that was distracting, imo.

You have to know whether or not such figures are self-reported. I used to work in a job that required me to have our customers record their heights and weights--self-reported--, and I've seen hundreds of people, from all walks of life, do it. I learned something surprising by doing this. Most people--both men and women--tend to be honest about their weights. Most women tend to be honest about their heights. However, most men who are less than 6' tall, will exaggerate their heights by 2 or 3 inches (occasionally more). And by "most", I mean that at least 85% of men in that demographic, of all races, do this. Since I knew how tall I was, I could compare the height of a customer to my height, and get a good estimate of his. So I can tell you confidently, that if a man self-reports his height, the figure is very likely to be untrustworthy, if his actual height is less than 6 feet. Apparently, a great many men are insecure about their heights, and want desperately to be "tall".

Men who were 6 feet tall, or taller, rarely, in my experience, exaggerated their heights. (I will have to say, that people shrink as they pass through middle age, and a couple of my relatives, who were once about 6'2", still claim to be, even though they're not.....:))
That was interesting, thanks for sharing.

There was talk of Rachel being "distracted" her last week alive. I wonder if she was distracted in a *good* way? She was in a new relationship and probably happy and in love! I know how new relationships can sometimes consume all your thoughts and time. Could this be why she was "distracted"?

"Ms Woltz, who hired Morin’s cleaning services, also said that she seemed distracted during the week before her death."
I believe she was distracted due to jer baby niece's recent death.

Re: California related home invasion:

Jewelry and watches are two of the most commonly stolen items in a home invasion, followed by wallets and cash, prescription drugs and electronics.
LE stated there was no sexual assault, yet he removed his shirt. A wild guess: Maybe he planned to use shirt to wrap up smaller stolen items for ease of carrying out of house. MOO

Jewelry and watches are two of the most commonly stolen items in a home invasion, followed by wallets and cash, prescription drugs and electronics.
LE stated there was no sexual assault, yet he removed his shirt. A wild guess: Maybe he planned to use shirt to wrap up smaller stolen items for ease of carrying out of house. MOO
And what was he planning to put in the shoes he was carrying, lol? None of it will make sense until LAPD tells us what really happened.

Random thought—I understand the suspect is thought to be in his 20’s. Rachel’s oldest child is reportedly 18. Could the two be associated in any way? Another random possibility— could the suspect be an associate of one of Rachel’s exes? He may have happened to see or meet her and became fixated/ obsessed.

I do realize it’s more likely to be a totally random crime, but thought I’d throw that out there, in case it hadn’t been mentioned before.

Last edited:
Most burglaries happen during the day when people are known to be gone. I remember someone telling me they would look at obituaries to see when funerals were happening and hit the homes of people who would be gone for sure during a block time period. This person wants to steal your stuff and get out. In many cases they are not violent. They’re thieves. Unless they come across cash, grandpa’s watch or grandma’s wedding ring isn’t worth much. Garage & outbuilding tools are hot, as an example.

When someone breaks into your home or invades it at night, this is a different type of criminal. They are taking their chances that you are likely home & are prepared to harm you, to come in contact with you. They’re fine with assault and stealing your stuff. imo

Random thought—I understand the suspect is thought to be in his 20’s. Rachel’s oldest son is reportedly 18. Could the two be associated in any way? Another random possibility— could the suspect be an associate of one of Rachel’s exes? He may have happened to see or meet her and became fixated/ obsessed.

I do realize it’s more likely to be a totally random crime, but thought I’d throw that out there, in case it hadn’t been mentioned before.
Daughter, not son.

Wow! Very nice showing.

Rachel Morin Walk of Remembrance at Ma and Pa Trail @wjz

Nice way to not only pay respects but to send a message to perpetrators out there that there is strength in numbers. And while this person got away (for now) with what he did, "we are here in a show of force to let anyone out there even considering something similar know, this won't happen again on our watch."

jmo

Last edited:

Is this general information pulled from the internet or do we know if he stole some of these items? TIA

Random thought—I understand the suspect is thought to be in his 20’s. Rachel’s oldest child is reportedly 18. Could the two be associated in any way? Another random possibility— could the suspect be an associate of one of Rachel’s exes? He may have happened to see or meet her and became fixated/ obsessed.

I still like @otto and @PommyMommy thoughts that even if he had stalked her prior, he may have saw her at the gym and watched her daily routine. But in this case the gym should have surveillance footage. Maybe LE has it and we just don't know yet.

jmo

Maybe when suspect entered the home he cut his hand or arm on broken glass that he smashed out to get in through a window. Took his shirt off and wrapped hand. Blood was left at scene so they took a sample to get his DNA. Sneakers off so he did not leave tread marks ??? All jmo

Most burglaries happen during the day when people are known to be gone. I remember someone telling me they would look at obituaries to see when funerals were happening and hit the homes of people who would be gone for sure during a block time period. This person wants to steal your stuff and get out. In many cases they are not violent. They’re thieves. Unless they come across cash, grandpa’s watch or grandma’s wedding ring isn’t worth much. Garage & outbuilding tools are hot, as an example.

When someone breaks into your home or invades it at night, this is a different type of criminal. They are taking their chances that you are likely home & are prepared to harm you, to come in contact with you. They’re fine with assault and stealing your stuff. imo
While this might typically have been the case, in my own fairly affluent community, home invasion burglaries are happening with increased frequency in the evening hours, and when residents are home. Apparently, word has spread that some local business owners choose to take the day's receipts home rather than depositing them into the drop box at a commercial bank for counting/deposit. Savvy thieves follow these business owners home after they close their businesses, learn their habits, and take advantage.

You can often tell when a home invasion burglary has these characteristics because LE reassures the community that the victim was "targeted" and that the risk is not widespread.

However, once successful in a few homes in a community, the thieves move on to the neighbors - committing car prowls, thefts of packages delivered to porches (they follow the delivery trucks dropping late evening deliveries), and home invasions.

Many of my neighbors have installed security cameras and motion activated floodlights and all of us keep an eye on each other's porches and call or text neighbors if we notice a package that hasn't been taken in or a garage door that has been left open.

But, as you say, the type of criminal that will enter the home knowing residents are home is a different type of criminal as they are willing to risk an encounter that spells danger to both resident and thief. And knowing they are doing so, they tend to be armed for that eventuality.

Thieves have become bold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member