Found Deceased MD - Rachel Morin, 37, left for walk on Ma & Pa Trail 6pm, car found at Williams St entrance, Bel Air, 5 Aug 2023 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anybody about the two missing women near Denver, CO? Melissa Whitsitt and Svetlana Ustimenko, on August 11 and August 13, six miles apart, both missing in hiking land.

Having driven across America (when I was much younger) I immediately thought of the RM killer. East Coast to California, it's most likely going to be via Colorado if you're going by road, though granted you could also go via Oklahoma/Arizona. It just made me think of RM...

It also reminded me of a film I watched about a guy who delivers used cars to buyers on the other side of the States; apparently it's a thing. Used car sales are unregulated and this would be a decent way for a crook who can't work anywhere that does an ID/background check to make money, and is a reason to be travelling such long distances.

Baltimore to Los Angeles via Denver would take the I-70 from Denver. The I-70 is about 15 miles from where Melissa Whitsitt and Svetlana Ustimenko went missing. They went missing 6 and 8 days (respectively) after Rachel Morin's murder. Rachel Morin was also very close to an Interstate highway, and so was Mariam Sylla, the lady missing from the DC greenbelt a week before RM's murder.

Looking at these two women in Colorado, they aren't facially dissimilar to each other or to RM, IMO.

Something to think about.

Attachments

• mw-su-colorado.jpg
    mw-su-colorado.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot 2023-08-29 at 12.27.47.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-29 at 12.27.47.png
    907.7 KB · Views: 28
Drug trafficker would be my no. 1 "occupation" or purpose for the RM suspect going coast-to-coast.

A quick Google brings up one case which was prosecuted in Maryland, of a person who trafficked drugs from California via Maryland to the North East:

"Along with a co-conspirator, Avalos supplied narcotics to fellow co-conspirators who then shipped narcotics from the west coast to the east coast of the United States. A New York based co-conspirator supplied co-conspirators in Maryland, Washington D.C., and the Northern Virginia areas. Avalos regularly traveled to the New York area to collect money from accomplices and other narcotic customers."

Google gave two other example cases of coast-to-coast drug trafficking:
  • In 2020, the DEA arrested a drug trafficking organization that was transporting methamphetamine from California to the Northeast US. The organization was responsible for distributing over 100 kilograms of methamphetamine.
  • In 2021, the DEA seized over 2,000 kilograms of cocaine in the Boston area. The cocaine was traced back to California.

If he is wearing his usual easy access attack outfit - no shirt, just sweatpants, why would he not also take off his gold (appearing) necklace, when it could be ripped from him by a fighting victim, or break off, get caught on bushes etc. imo, speculation.
rbbm Aug 29 '23
1693328414242.png
''The Harford County Sheriffs Office is requesting assistance in identifying the below depicted individual in relation to the homicide of Rachel Hannah Morin, which occurred on August 5, 2023.Harford County Sheriff's Office
She was running alone on the popular trail around the time of her killing.

A DNA sample pulled from the murder site was linked to a home invasion and assault of a young girl in Los Angeles in March, police have said.

“Serial killers all start somewhere. What he did in Los Angeles was certainly, I believe, in that direction,” Gahler told Fox News Monday. “I believe it was his intention to inflict more serious physical harm.”

''Despite the DNA breakthrough, police don’t have the suspect’s identity – and have no idea where he might be.

“He could still be laying his head here in our county, or he could have fled anywhere in the country or even the world,” Gahler told the outlet.

Police have released video of the suspect, who is described as a Hispanic man about 5-feet-9 and 160 pounds.''

Last edited:
The decision whether to hike alone as a woman is so tough. I've done it frequently, even after dark (which happens to be my favorite time to hike). It made me nervous when I started to see the same people -- natural, since we were all the "after work" crowd, but it also means someone can learn your routine.

A well populated trail means different things to different people. My definition is a trail where I could at all times visually see two independent people (one might be an attacker, but chances are low both would be, meaning the other person is a deterrent or at the very least a witness). The trail I am referring to above almost always met that definition. And I was rarely concerned for my safety on that trail (other than being conscious of the concern someone could learn my routine). I was very concerned about the walk from my car to the trail head, though (and for good reason, I read once about an attempted rape of a girl heading to the trail -- neighbors intervened).

Another trail I like I think is populated in a "somebody would find me if I had a medical emergency" sort of way, but not in a deterrent sort of way. Though this trail has mostly cliffs on each side making it an unappealing choice for a sexual assault and not ideal for a lie in wait attack, and I think its location makes it less likely to attract someone looking for a target (there are many other trails in the area better for that).

So I've given thought to it, but on balance still do it. I also have a personal alarm that I'm going to try to remember to always bring. You activate it by just pulling it off your waistband.

I don't see any clear facial features on that video.
I shouldn’t have used the word clear. :)
But you can see a profile. I believe advanced police photo/video techniques should be able to refine the picture. I imagine that they are already working on a sketch based on techniques they have, techniques which we do not have access to. My inexpert opinion.
Why haven’t they released this? I don’t know, but LE always has reasons we can never imagine.

I believe the LE video on FB was posted earlier on this thread.
If you watch the LE press conference on YouTube during which LE shared the video live, you can slow the video down using the YouTube tools.
Around 6 seconds into the video footage you can see the suspect’s profile at a couple of different angles.

I wish LAPD would screenshot his profile and feature it on the Wanted posters. That would be helpful.

"The sheriff investigating the brutal murder of Rachel Morin has warned the suspect - who has been tied to a March home invasion and rape of a girl in Los Angeles - could be a serial killer who could be preparing to strike again."

"The sheriff investigating the brutal murder of Rachel Morin has warned the suspect - who has been tied to a March home invasion and rape of a girl in Los Angeles - could be a serial killer who could be preparing to strike again."

Do we think there's something behind them saying this? Obviously he's a serial criminal, but there seems to be real emphasis on his becoming a serial killer. I wonder what they know.

Wait. Now it's a rape? Is that confirmed? Thought LE had stated the assault wasn't sexual in nature. Why had LAPD not released this video back in March when they said it occurred?

Wait. Now it's a rape? Is that confirmed? Thought LE had stated the assault wasn't sexual in nature. Why had LAPD not released this video back in March when they said it occurred?
Jesus. I really hope we don't blame this poor victim any more than she has been already. Nobody knows what they'd do in that situation.

AUG 28, 2023
Rebekah Morin, whose sister Rachel was found dead near a hiking trail in Maryland, says she doesn’t understand why someone hasn’t come forward to identify the suspect.

[...]

“This guy is going to do it again. It could be your sister, your mother, your daughter,” Rebekah said. “I’m really hoping that somebody comes forward soon. Somebody is brave enough to do what’s right.”

[...]

Rebekah told “Banfield” that Rachel’s children are sad, angry and “don’t really understand.”

“They really love their mother. They pray for her to come back. It’s been really hard on all of them,” Rebekah said.

[...]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member