Found Deceased MD - Rachel Morin, 37, left for walk on Ma & Pa Trail 6pm, car found at Williams St entrance, Bel Air, 5 Aug 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Those are all points, but the obvious is that the most recent statistics in the US (2021 is the most recent I've found on numerous sites) say that women were murdered by someone they know 76%-88% of the time (some relationships are unknown so they're a gray area). Here's one source.
I don't disagree with that statistic. However, the women you cite are overwhelmingly being killed by the people they know in private residences...not in public parks during daylight hours. IMO the location where the crime took place says something important about the likely identity of the killer.

If the killer has the opportunity to kill in a private residence or vehicle and dispose of the body at their leisure in the dark of night, then I would argue that they probably have little desire to forgo that easy option in favor of committing the murder in a public park during daylight hours.

JMO

Do tunnels typically have drains? I am trying to think what that would look like.... It would be a safety hazard in the dark?
That tunnel is a smaller one on a different part of the trail (miles away, you have to drive there, it does not connect). The tunnel where he is claiming he found her is actually an overpass. There is no drainage, there is lighting in the tunnel, but I still need to take my sunglasses off when I walk through.

Is the park close to or next to a neighborhood or houses/businesses? Just contemplating availability of doorbell cam/CCTV video.
There are apartments and houses along the trail, but I would say are not close enough to have cameras and they all back up to the trail, so it would have to be backdoors.

Something just doesn't sit right with me regarding the guy that found her body. To tell the police to search the tunnels, before her body was found in the very same tunnel is really odd. I think I would be looking closer at him to see where he was at the time of her disappearance. Rachel was known to him, through his daughter. Perhaps he had an obsession.

JMO

Mr Gabriszeski said he told police to search tunnels that exist around the Ma and Pa Trail because he had a bad feeling about them.

“I kept telling them to search the tunnels because I had a feeling about those tunnels,” Mr Gabriszeski said.

“I walked forward to search the one tunnel, and they searched the one, and that’s where they found her.”

Mr Gabriszeski reported Morin’s body to the police around 1.30pm on Sunday. The Bel Air mother was found in a tunnel off of a trail.

Also from the same article
““[I hope] they can get the investigation on and, hopefully, catch the person who did this trifling act,” Mr Gabriszeski said.”
Trifling ? What does that even mean? I googled and I am still at a loss to how that word works with this circumstance. JMO

““[I hope] they can get the investigation on and, hopefully, catch the person who did this trifling act,” Mr Gabriszeski said.”
Trifling ? What does that even mean? I googled and I am still at a loss to how that word works with this circumstance. JMO

In modern slang parlance as he is using it, trifling means something like "lowdown, sneaky, shady, suspicious" possibly even connotation of "senseless" thing.

i think he either used the word thinking it had another meaning, or… he’s using it as the Urban Dictionary defines a slang use:

sneaky, shady, untrustworthy, suspicious

From Urban Dictionary: trifling

Attachments

• AAA3AAB9-B5E4-427C-BC0B-D9EFA4BDBF36.jpeg
    AAA3AAB9-B5E4-427C-BC0B-D9EFA4BDBF36.jpeg
    89.3 KB · Views: 2
There is a YT video titled, "The MA & PA Trail. Great beginner place to ride."

There appears to be at least one drain/tunnel/culvert just to the north of the pedestrian tunnel that goes under MD 24...and then possibly another smaller one a bit further north. When the volunteer searcher mentioned "tunnels" in the news clip it made me curious. Perhaps there are even more of these going under the highway that are not necessarily visible from the trail itself.

See the above referenced video at the following marks: 3:10, 3:34, and 4:05.

JMO

i think he either used the word thinking it had another meaning, or… he’s using it as the Urban Dictionary defines a slang use:

sneaky, shady, untrustworthy, suspicious

From Urban Dictionary: trifling
Thanks I did see that meaning. It just seemed so “off“ to me - you have just found a murdered woman who your daughter knew - how about horrific or something along those lines. Probably nothing but I found it dismissive/underwhelming. Imo

This guy is talking to the local media and giving details about the crime scene.

Article with more info….

The following comment from the Sheriff is interesting .... with all the calls for video and photo and anything folks can contribute ... and the statement that they don't have a solid suspect ... stressing that he doesn't think there is a threat is well ... telling. Don't you think? MOO

“We don’t have one solid suspect in this case,” Gahler said in an interview. While the sheriff advised residents to be cautious and pay attention to their surroundings, he stressed that he did not think there was a threat to the broader Bel Air community.
The Baltimore Banner Updated August 8, 2023
Yes... we have heard that before, while all along, they had a perp in sight.
JMO

Article with more info….

Thanks for that link! I'm reading contradictory information there. In his previous interview, where he said his daughter, a friend of Rachel, went to one tunnel and he the other, he said he kept telling LE to search the tunnels. Sounded to me like he knew they existed, and that there was more than one.

In the article above, he is quoted as saying (bolded by me below), which makes me shake my head:

HARFORD COUNTY, Md. (WBFF) — For Michael Gabriszeski, the Ma and Pa trail in Bel Air was uncharted territory.

“I had never walked it myself,” he said.

But the former national park search and rescue officer has extensive experience tracking down missing people.

Following reports 37-year-old Rachel Morin had left for a walk and never returned, Gabriszeski and his stepdaughter took off on a search rooted on instinct.

“I just kept seeing tunnels in my mind, I don’t know why, I just kept seeing tunnels,”
he said.

Despite Law enforcement swarming the area for almost a full day Sunday morning, Gabriszeski’s stepdaughter located the body in about an hour. They say the deadly discovery was made in a tunnel drain, not far from the trail’s Williams Street entrance.

“When I saw the tunnels, I got chills,” said Gabriszeski.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adr5879