Found Deceased MD - Rachel Morin, 37, left for walk on Ma & Pa Trail 6pm, car found at Williams St entrance, Bel Air, 5 Aug 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for that link! I'm reading contradictory information there. In his previous interview, where he said his daughter, a friend of Rachel, went to one tunnel and he the other, he said he kept telling LE to search the tunnels. Sounded to me like he knew they existed, and that there was more than one.

In the article above, he is quoted as saying (bolded by me below), which makes me shake my head:

HARFORD COUNTY, Md. (WBFF) — For Michael Gabriszeski, the Ma and Pa trail in Bel Air was uncharted territory.

“I had never walked it myself,” he said.

But the former national park search and rescue officer has extensive experience tracking down missing people.

Following reports 37-year-old Rachel Morin had left for a walk and never returned, Gabriszeski and his stepdaughter took off on a search rooted on instinct.

“I just kept seeing tunnels in my mind, I don’t know why, I just kept seeing tunnels,”
he said.

Despite Law enforcement swarming the area for almost a full day Sunday morning, Gabriszeski’s stepdaughter located the body in about an hour. They say the deadly discovery was made in a tunnel drain, not far from the trail’s Williams Street entrance.

“When I saw the tunnels, I got chills,” said Gabriszeski.

If he's never walked it, then how would he know about the tunnels?

If he's never walked it, then how would he know about the tunnels?
Right! Perhaps he'd heard of them. I imagine the one that pedestrians have to go through is a bit creepy. Did his daughter know of them? If he searched one and she the other, how did either know where they were?

And surely LE would have known about them, at least the major one leading under the highway, and I would think that'd have been on their radar as a possible crime spot, being creepy and dark even in daylight. Still surprised none of them looked there after not finding her in the first hours of their searches.

Article with more info….

This is a great article and video.
Lots of info - It shows the tunnel “ drain” where she was found which is said to be only about a quarter of a mile in. Michael G says there was a rock caked in blood with a pool of blood - head trauma. He speculates that the killer has close ties to her since it was so up close and personal.
Strange to me that he is giving the reporter a tour of the trail, giving her the details etc. LE must have its reasons imo for allowing him to be a loose cannon?

I am hoping that one of the 90 + tips is from someone on that trail that evening who saw/ heard some key things - from all descriptions it sounds like a very active area
imo

This is a great article and video.
Lots of info - It shows the tunnel “ drain” where she was found which is said to be only about a quarter of a mile in. Michael G says there was a rock caked in blood with a pool of blood - head trauma. He speculates that the killer has close ties to her since it was so up close and personal.
Strange to me that he is giving the reporter a tour of the trail, giving her the details etc. LE must have its reasons imo for allowing him to be a loose cannon?

I am hoping that one of the 90 + tips is from someone on that trail that evening who saw/ heard some key things - from all descriptions it sounds like a very active area
imo
from the link.
“I told my stepdaughter, I said look, she’s not going to be laying out in the open,” he said, “She's going to be tucked away.”

Not that I have any suspicions since I am still leaning to stalker/stranger, but how did this man assume Rachel was "tucked away"? Rachel was missing. She could have had a medical event, fainted, or whatever and be "out in the open" somewhere.
No one knew yet she was a victim of murder.

This man also just publicly disclosed the murder scene, probable COD, and the injuries.
LE usually does not do such. Did they agree?

from the link.
“I told my stepdaughter, I said look, she’s not going to be laying out in the open,” he said, “She's going to be tucked away.”
Not that I have any suspicions since I am still leaning to stalker/stranger, but how did this man assume Rachel was "tucked away"? Rachel was missing. She could have had a medical event, fainted, or whatever and be "out in the open" somewhere.

THia man also just publicly disclosed the murder scene, probable COD, and the injuries.

LE hasn't given the COD yet. Just that it's a homicide.

Not all murder victims are hidden either.

from the link.

This man also just publicly disclosed the murder scene, probable COD, and the injuries.

Exactly! How does he know that she didn't faint and hit her head on something and bleed out?

LE hasn't given the COD yet. Just that it's a homicide.

Not all murder victims are hidden either.
No they haven't. But this guy described her head injuries and the bloody rock. One can deduce how she died.
There are reasons LE doesn't disclose details, but this man is doing so.

And right, not all murder victims are hidden away.

I am older Generation but have always thought of trifling as the synonyms minor, insignificant, petty, minute, negligible : Thesaurus results for TRIFLING which I can't imagine ever using in this tragic case. Jmo

As described in posts above, he's using a slang meaning of it that's different. Closer in meaning to "it's a lowdown, shady, shameful thing that was done to her."

Edit to clarify....I'm not defending him, though. He should not be talking about the details he saw or knows.

Last edited:
Thanks for that link! I'm reading contradictory information there. In his previous interview, where he said his daughter, a friend of Rachel, went to one tunnel and he the other, he said he kept telling LE to search the tunnels. Sounded to me like he knew they existed, and that there was more than one.

In the article above, he is quoted as saying (bolded by me below), which makes me shake my head:

HARFORD COUNTY, Md. (WBFF) — For Michael Gabriszeski, the Ma and Pa trail in Bel Air was uncharted territory.

“I had never walked it myself,” he said.

But the former national park search and rescue officer has extensive experience tracking down missing people.

Following reports 37-year-old Rachel Morin had left for a walk and never returned, Gabriszeski and his stepdaughter took off on a search rooted on instinct.

“I just kept seeing tunnels in my mind, I don’t know why, I just kept seeing tunnels,”
he said.

Despite Law enforcement swarming the area for almost a full day Sunday morning, Gabriszeski’s stepdaughter located the body in about an hour. They say the deadly discovery was made in a tunnel drain, not far from the trail’s Williams Street entrance.

“When I saw the tunnels, I got chills,” said Gabriszeski.

Yes, conflicting info for sure. If he never walked the trails, how did he know where the tunnels were? He just kept “seeing tunnels in his mind”?

As a reminder,

Unless or until a person has been named BY LAW ENFORCEMENT as a person of interest or suspect in this case, you may not sleuth them or speculate negatively in regards to them. As of this post, there are no known suspects or persons of interest.

AUG 9, 2023
  • "We're collecting physical evidence. We're collecting electronic evidence," Col. William Davis/Harford County Sheriff's Office said. "We're out. We're talking to witnesses."
  • Investigators are urging the public to send photos or videos that were taken on or near the trail.
  • Mr Gahler said a team of ten investigators were working together “scouring every detail of the days, hour and seconds before Rachel died in order to put goether the pieces of a comprehensive timeline.”
  • The investigation includes interviews with the people closest to Morin, which authorities have already done.

My opinion at this time is that electronic devices and security cameras will be some of the best 'detectives' to bring justice for Rachel.
Not to mention the arduous 'legwork' of LE.

I'm so sorry for her hurting loved ones.
I don't know if 'closure' is even a real thing, it's a phrase used often and imo with the best of intentions.
Her poor young kids. :(

But swift and harsh justice for Rachel's killer, yes.
Someone needs to answer for taking this innocent life !
Omo.

from the link.

I've never see anything like this in a case before.

Article with more info….

If this guy is a former search and rescue volunteer, he should know better than providing details and giving opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Angelinazoomazooma