Found Deceased MD - Rachel Morin, 37, left for walk on Ma & Pa Trail 6pm, car found at Williams St entrance, Bel Air, 5 Aug 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If this guy is a former search and rescue volunteer, he should know better than providing details and giving opinions.
"But the former national park search and rescue officer has extensive experience tracking down missing people".

This link says "officer". <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
just read it. IMO

The following comment from the Sheriff is interesting .... with all the calls for video and photo and anything folks can contribute ... and the statement that they don't have a solid suspect ... stressing that he doesn't think there is a threat is well ... telling. Don't you think? MOO

“We don’t have one solid suspect in this case,” Gahler said in an interview. While the sheriff advised residents to be cautious and pay attention to their surroundings, he stressed that he did not think there was a threat to the broader Bel Air community.
The Baltimore Banner Updated August 8, 2023
IMO, HUGE statement/tacit statement from LE. LE must have an idea who murdered her and are just chasing down the details.

So I think crime of opportunity or random crime are no longer suspected.

I hope her family gets closure soon.

JMO

Last edited:
IMO, HUGE statement/tacit statement from LE. LE must have an idea who murdered her and are just chasing down the details.

So I think crime of opportunity or random crime are no longer suspected.

I hope her family gets closure soon.

JMO
LE said the same thing in the Madeline Kingsbury case. But I thought I saw a headline tonight that said in this case, it could be a random perpetrator? Was that an old statement from early on? On my phone or I would link directly.

I looked back to earlier reports after Rachel was reported missing.

"Rachel Morin, 37, was last seen on Saturday, August 5, around 6:00 p.m., when she left to walk on the Ma and Pa Trail.
At 1:07 p.m., the Harford County Sheriff's Office received a 911 call that a woman's body had been found off the Ma and Pa Trail."

So before 1:07pm when the guy and his daughter found her, there was no telling what could have happened.
Abduction, medical event, visiting/staying over at a friend in the neighbourhood of the trail, not contacting her bf for whatever reason.....several possibilities.

So why did this former search guy (with supposedly experience in missing person cases) immediately and only figure she was hidden and "tucked away" ?

It's bothering me. Maybe all his previous experience was with murders so he assumed? Maybe

In any case I hope LE does have info, and even a suspect, whoever that may be.

So sorry for her children and loved ones.

He appeared to be under the influence of something with very constricted pupils in the video. I can't believe LE would want him giving out some of the detailed information as he did. JMO

Edited as I meant constricted, not dilated**
ehhhh it’s a stretch to say under the influence based on eyes alone. I wouldn’t even try to speculate on that. opiates tend to be the culprits for that matter and he’s rather animated. He’s…interesting to say the least, but speculating on substances isn’t likely going to fly here IMO

Last edited:
My impression of the man, and his stepdaughter, who quickly located the body by looking in "tucked away" body locations is that the former SAR officer suspected that it was a homicide, and that guided his search area ... looking in culverts.

Previous searches would have included the assumption that she had an accident. Volunteers weren't looking in places where a murderer would hide a body.

The stepdaughter found the body.

“The former national park search and rescue officer has extensive experience tracking down missing people. “I told my stepdaughter, I said look, she’s not going to be laying out in the open,” he said, “She's going to be tucked away.” ...

Gabriszeski’s stepdaughter located the body in about an hour. They say the deadly discovery was made in a tunnel drain, not far from the trail’s Williams Street entrance.

I saw a terrible mess,” he said, “There's not going to be an open casket ...” He says Morin’s body was found in a pool of blood and had suffered severe head trauma ... my daughter said that there was a big rock down there that was all caked in blood.”

same link

just read it. IMO
OMG, my personal prejudices .... can't help myself here. Though my impression is, the TV team on scene and in the studio had the same thoughts, otherwise I couldn't explain these close ups of the man's face. IMO

Last edited:
Agreed. Totally inappropriate comments. The internet can be a dark place.

I think some people want very badly to believe that some person she knew did this to her...because that means if you don't let the wrong people in your life, you are safe...and this won't happen to you or your loved ones. The alternative is that a stranger may have been out hunting that day, and may have prayed upon the smallest most venerable individual they came across...and in that scenario no one is safe...and some people don't like the anxiety that alternative provokes in them.

People seem to be ignoring the obvious...she was very petite (5'2" 100 lbs), alone, and wearing running clothes that probably made it easy to tell that she was likely not carrying a concealed self-defense weapon on her person. These are things that a potential predator may be looking for in deciding which target they are going to select. Predators are generally looking for a victim that will be less difficult for them to control.

JMO

Great post. I strongly believe this was a crime of opportunity. In addition to the factors you mention about personal safety, I think there is now such a strong interest in true crime that people want bragging rights for feeling like they have "solved" a case. There's a guy repeatedly posting comments on the official FB page of the police telling them to look at and interview the boyfriend.

Gee thanks, Sherlock Holmes, I'm sure the police would never have thought of that without your brilliant help!

P.S. Great username. Care for a cigarette?

Maybe he was in shock. His daughters friend was found, by his daughter and from what LE are saying it seems obvious she was murdered. Having to deal with that and then having cameras shoved in your face and being hounded by the media when things are still raw? All of us on this website have seen SO many instances where people acted "strange" when really, they were just reacting to trauma.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member