Found Deceased MD - Rachel Morin, 37, left for walk on Ma & Pa Trail 6pm, car found at Williams St entrance, Bel Air, 5 Aug 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Baltimore Banner posted a new article
From this article:
  • Morin’s boyfriend gave phone, DNA sample to investigators, according to source
  • A spokeswoman for the sheriff’s office said there were no updates on the case Thursday.
  • On Wednesday, Sheriff Jeff Gahler said that 10 investigators were working around the clock to solve the case. Sheriff’s deputies had received more than 100 tips in the case, but Gahler pleaded with people to send in more, even if the information seemed inconsequential.
  • Rebekah Morin also posted that the family walked the trail Wednesday evening “in silent remembrance of Rachel” and posted photos of her and her siblings on trees along the trail.

From this article:
  • Morin’s boyfriend gave phone, DNA sample to investigators, according to source
  • A spokeswoman for the sheriff’s office said there were no updates on the case Thursday.
  • On Wednesday, Sheriff Jeff Gahler said that 10 investigators were working around the clock to solve the case. Sheriff’s deputies had received more than 100 tips in the case, but Gahler pleaded with people to send in more, even if the information seemed inconsequential.
  • Rebekah Morin also posted that the family walked the trail Wednesday evening “in silent remembrance of Rachel” and posted photos of her and her siblings on trees along the trail.
Thanks for the summary.

I'd love to know if she routinely jogged there without her phone. Did she have an Apple Watch to at least have some contact with the outside world? I just can't imagine going anywhere without my phone these days, even if I felt a walk was safe and I didn't need it for an hour.

EDITED: I may have misread. He gave HIS phone, or HER phone, to police? My comment above was based on my assumption that he gave her phone and his DNA, but now am thinking it meant he gave his phone. So I think we have yet to learn where her phone is, right?

Maryland sheriff denies man’s claims about seeing missing mother’s body​

A Maryland sheriff has denied the claims made by a man who insisted that he saw the body of 37-year-old Rachel Morin on the day she was found.

Michael Gabriszeski, 49, claimed that he and his stepdaughter came across Morin’s body on Sunday when they joined the search for the missing mother-of-five, who had vanished on Saturday after going for a jog on the Ma and Pa Trail in Bel Air.

Mr Gabriszeski gave graphic accounts of what he claimed he saw to multiple outlets, describing the scene as a “terrible mess”.

The Harford County Sheriff’s Office told The Independent that Mr Gabriszeski was not even “within eyesight of the crime scene” when the body was found.

The Harford County Sheriff’s Office told The Independent that Mr Gabriszeski was not even “within eyesight of the crime scene” when the body was found.

MG might not have been within eyesight of the crime scene "when the body was found" but I think he was within eyesight of the body shortly thereafter the body was found by his daughter.

Just a twist of the words IMO

Thanks for the summary.

I'd love to know if she routinely jogged there without her phone. Did she have an Apple Watch to at least have some contact with the outside world? I just can't imagine going anywhere without my phone these days, even if I felt a walk was safe and I didn't need it for an hour.

EDITED: I may have misread. He gave HIS phone, or HER phone, to police? My comment above was based on my assumption that he gave her phone and his DNA, but now am thinking it meant he gave his phone. So I think we have yet to learn where her phone is, right?

From article: Source close to Tobin said that he had voluntarily given his phone and a DNA sample to investigators.

Call me skeptical, but I don't believe in psychic abilities and/or "visions" that allow certain individuals to locate crime scenes and/or evidence expeditiously. What I do believe...is that people may sometimes come into possession of important information that lead them to want to quickly help LE...and that information may sometimes get passed on to a "psychic" eager to take credit. It sometimes helps the business/credibility of the psychic, and prevents the individual from having to explain to LE where the information they acquired actually came from.

JMO
Especially if thats their specialty and they are attached to the area or victim. It is a lot. It is too much. But who knows what going on with him. It woukd be a big twist to me if he was involved.

MG might not have been within eyesight of the crime scene "when the body was found" but I think he was within eyesight of the body shortly thereafter the body was found by his daughter.

He knows way more than somebody should know about a crime scene.

His account is just too detailed for him not to have been there. Jmo

Last edited:

Thanks for this.

They both are telling the truth.

Jmo

Words matter.

Jmo

Thanks for this.

They both are telling the truth.

Jmo

Words matter.

Jmo
I suspect only a complete lunatic would lie to the media and include such graphic details.
I don't see any reason to assume MG is such, so it's pretty wild LE would be expressly trying to contradict what he's said.
Especially if, eventually, the details surrounding her MOD and COD turn out to be exactly what MG has already stated.

I'm guessing the actual person that called her body in to 911 would be able to confirm or refute the story and I haven't heard anything on that front.

What a twisted case this is. Sad for the Morin family and her BF, that's for sure.

jmo

Call me skeptical, but I don't believe in psychic abilities and/or "visions" that allow certain individuals to locate crime scenes and/or evidence expeditiously. What I do believe...is that people may sometimes come into possession of important information that lead them to want to quickly help LE...and that information may sometimes get passed on to a "psychic" eager to take credit. It sometimes helps the business/credibility of the psychic, and prevents the individual from having to explain to LE where the information they acquired actually came from.

JMO
Since he claims that he’s never been on that trail, and claims the tunnels were something he kept seeing in his mind, it does make me think that he HAS been there, but that his knowledge of the tunnels is something he wouldn’t admit because hypothetically speaking, perhaps they are known locations for drug deals or other illicit activities after dark.

I suspect only a complete lunatic would lie to the media and include such graphic details.
I don't see any reason to assume MG is such, so it's pretty wild LE would be expressly trying to contradict what he's said.
Especially if, eventually, the details surrounding her MOD and COD turn out to be exactly what MG has already stated.

I'm guessing the actual person that called her body in to 911 would be able to confirm or refute the story and I haven't heard anything on that front.

What a twisted case this is. Sad for the Morin family and her BF, that's for sure.

jmo
I don't get why his daughter hasn't been interviewed since she was the one who called 911 or the bf she was with?

I believe this is the link for the article for anyone who wants to access. It is behind a paywall
JMO
I don’t think it was behind a paywall, though I did get a pop up window asking me to subscribe - I just clicked the “x” on the pop up window and was then able to read the full article. YMMV

I don’t think it was behind a paywall, though I did get a pop up window asking me to subscribe - I just clicked the “x” on the pop up window and was then able to read the full article. YMMV
Thanks @NervousNellie. I am glad you were able to access. This was my message :
“You've reached your free story limit for this month.” JMO

Since apparently his step-daughter (and Rachel's friend, allegedly) was named as the caller to 911, it does seem incredibly likely that this man sadly saw exactly what he's telling the media he saw.

That being said, if LE knew that he saw her laying there deceased, wouldn't they have told him to keep those details to himself, to protect the integrity of the investigation? If they did tell him that, and he opted to be interviewed anyway, he'd be facing some charges. If they never did tell him that, then what appears to be damage control by them (telling the media he never saw anything) makes plenty of sense.

I really do wish he would have never granted a single interview, for the family's sake
I'm wondering if these were paid interviews.

The victim appeared to be very physically fit - I think she would have fought back mightily unless she was immediately rendered unconscious.
MG "the tracker"reported there was a blood trail from the path to where the victim was found. If true, perhaps Rachel was taken off guard( wearing earbuds while running?) and maybe was struck in the side of the face /temple with blunt force from the rock rendering her unconscious. Then whomever did that, has to drag her off the trail down to the drain - bash her face in some more -strip her naked then get out of there with probably blood on them - unseen. You may be right about about a woman - less suspicious for sure and would not raise alarm bells - . As of now though I don't see it being a woman, but that means nothing.

It's such a brazen act, during an early evening hour on a well traveled trail. Very risky unless it was just a crime of opportunity where in that moment in time, randomly, she happened to be in space with no people and the perp was too - so they took advantage of the opportunity.
Parks and trails unfortunately do attract the predators/offenders waiting for their moment. And those lulls do occur.
ALl just IMO
If the killer was a woman, then she could have used a stun gun. Then picked up the rock and killed her and taken her clothes off to humiliate her, but also to make it look like a sexual assault. The killer could have been one of her girlfriends.

It's interesting that MG is referred to as a former "national park search and rescue officer". Did he refer to himself that way or was that just how the reporter described him? Usually those who are employed by the NPS would call themselves "rangers" rather than officers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Let the light shine