Found Deceased MD - Rachel Morin, 37, left for walk on Ma & Pa Trail 6pm, car found at Williams St entrance, Bel Air, 5 Aug 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder when the last time anyone (other than family) last saw her that day?

JMO
To answer my own question:
[..]
On the afternoon of her death Rachel Morin, 37, stopped at Glow – The Bronzing Studio on Red Pump Road in Bel Air for her daily spray tan at 2 p.m.
[..]
After touching up her tan, Morin told salon workers she was heading off to the gym.
[..]
The Post has since discovered the couple went to a Planet Fitness, where Morin is a Black Card holder who can use any of the company’s facilities.
[..]

I'm sure the gym has an exact time on cctv when she arrived and left.

JMO

I'm not expecting any movement in the case towards an arrest until DNA evidence is processed, which may take some time.

JMO
True. Even then it has to be the DNA of someone on file. If they don’t get a direct match that way, they must start the tedious process of trying to collect samples from POI’s and also searching genealogy databases for familial matches.

Agree. Do you think LE initially proceeded on the "Nothing to worry about here, folks" theory bc of the state of her body; the condition/circumstances of the crime scene. In other words, rage which might indicate this was personal and she knew her attacker? If she was a victim of SA I think that helps to clear the BF.

Just jmo
I’m always a little uncomfortable when an LE Agency announces there no threat to the public after an horrific crime and there has been no arrest, warrant issued, or POI identified. Many times they do know who the perpetrator is but don’t have enough evidence to charge them and can make such statements with confidence. However, unfortunately, sometimes it’s political. They don’t want to panic the public or shed a bad light on a city or town. This is more common in tourist areas.
The fact is, LE cannot guarantee anyone’s safety. It’s up to each and everyone of us to be aware of our surroundings, to take precautions, and to avoid dangerous situations as much as possible. However, it is also the responsibility of LE to provide information to the public which would help them make good decisions based on this knowledge.

I think she was probably hit in the head and knocked down first, then dragged off the trail under the bridge. That would explain why no one saw anything if it was quick. No scream. And not visible from the trail.

The whole killer putting their hands over the victims mouth and dragging them away only happens in the movies. In real life the victim is usually incapacitated in some way first for something like this.
Sorry. It doesn’t only happen in the movies. These days when people are commonly wearing earbuds and listening to music or podcasts, it is very easy to sneak up on someone from behind without their realizing it.

I find a few things interesting here but not that they mean anything. So if they went to Planet Fitness together why would they say they were unable to confirm if he went to his home gym that day as well, what is the point? And I’ve done plenty of spray tans over the years for just weddings/events (which you certainly don’t need to do daily as they last half to full week)and the #1 thing they tell you is not to swear or shower so again nothing to do with anything but you normally wouldn’t do a spray tan and then go straight to the gym. And then walking again later that night. I am by no means a fitness buff but it just seems odd they’d say he might have been to two gyms and she’s doing gym and walking trail alone all while she has 5 kids to watch. I know oldest is said to be 18 but I’m curious how young the others are?
I was going to make the same comments regarding the spray tanning, that makes zero sense to me. In addition to five kids, don't forget she also owned a cleaning business, maybe she had workers and didn't do the work herself?

I'm thinking that any ring camera or other camera by the entrance may not have captured the perp. It's possible the perp was IN the park already, not someone who followed her in. I think we can assume the perp was familiar with the tunnels before the attack and knew how to disappear without being on the trail near the site.

Total hunch and speculation.

jmo
Or entered on the RT24 side where there may not be any cameras. Google Maps

"On the afternoon of her death Rachel Morin, 37, stopped at Glow – The Bronzing Studio on Red Pump Road in Bel Air for her daily spray tan at 2 p.m."

The boyfriend "Tobin confirmed in a now-deleted Facebook comment they went to the gym together.

The Post has since discovered the couple went to a Planet Fitness."

"Tobin...also revealed in a now-deleted comment he dropped her off at her home shortly before 5 p.m.

Morin then went to the hiking trail and was last spotted sometime between the hours of 6 and 7:30 p.m."

People are saying he was home with her kids. So did he go back to her house after dropping her off around 5?

Last edited:
IMO this was a SA proceeded by a murder and the condominiums are an important part of this case. It is right at the beginning of the trail. Anyone from those condominiums could have been watching for a SA victim and saw her alone and followed her onto the trail. They could have seen her there before and become obsessed with her and waited until this moment with her coming to the trail alone to SA her. This is just something that was in my thoughts.

JMO

I don’t think the new BF has anything to gain seeing RM gone. If he was with the children then I would assume things were going well. However what are the baby daddy’s records? Custody’s hearings, child support? Just questions…….I personally don’t think he had anything to do with it. If the report that she was on dating sites is correct, then she could have put out there that she runs this trail.

Agree. She was attractive, and the relationship, new. Absolutely nothing to gain in eliminating her.

Not sure where the message is coming from that police are downplaying that this is a public-safety issue. Are they panicking the public? No. But LE is urging people to be careful.

Just a sampling of news coverage, bbm.

"Not knowing whether this was a targeted event specific to Rachel, we are going to say, ‘yes, be aware, be thinking there could be somebody out here and this is a random event’," Harford County Sheriff Jeffery Gahler told WBALTV."

https://www.aol.com/rachel-morin--raises-35k-074726244.html

"Detectives cannot say whether Morin was the victim of a targeted attack or a random act of violence.

As a result, local law-enforcement officials have increased their patrols in the area."

"People who use the popular trail are being urged to stay safe and be aware of their surroundings while detectives work on the case."

'"I also know many of you are nervous to spend time on the trail, concerned that there might be someone in our midst preying on women," he said.

"Please know that as your Sheriff, but also as a husband and father of two daughters, I understand your fears.'"

I don’t think the new BF has anything to gain seeing RM gone. If he was with the children then I would assume things were going well. However what are the baby daddy’s records? Custody’s hearings, child support? Just questions…….I personally don’t think he had anything to do with it. If the report that she was on dating sites is correct, then she could have put out there that she runs this trail.
bbm
3 baby-daddys and their families (ie. grandparents of the children) I would have on my list.

bbm
3 baby-daddys and their families (ie. grandparents of the children) I would have on my list.
If a family or estranged family member were to attack her, would they pick a public park? And then leave her like that?

Possible, I suppose, but that sounds like a stranger attack to me.

I hope DNA provides the evidence LE needs to pinpoint the perp.

jmo

IMO this was a SA proceeded by a murder and the condominiums are an important part of this case. It is right at the beginning of the trail. Anyone from those condominiums could have been watching for a SA victim and saw her alone and followed her onto the trail. They could have seen her there before and become obsessed with her and waited until this moment with her coming to the trail alone to SA her. This is just something that was in my thoughts.

JMO

Welcome! Great post. It is very important to remember this trail goes through a residential area. Which unfortunately, creates many potential suspects.

Ok I’m not one that works out, gym, jogging, etc I get a work out gardening, cutting grass and maintaining the house.

For the ones that do work out is it normal, common to go jogging/ running/ walking after a work out at the gym?

TIA

Ok I’m not one that works out, gym, jogging, etc I get a work out gardening, cutting grass and maintaining the house.

For the ones that do work out is it normal, common to go jogging/ running/ walking after a work out at the gym?

TIA
From my observation, she looks like a person with a lot of energy and who likes to be on the go. Maybe there are different areas she works out with different routines - weight lifting at the gym and running in the park, for example.

jmo

TIA
I do this very thing, almost every day. I am diligent about getting my rings on my Apple Watch closed, and in order to burn enough calories I need to walk about 3 miles, plus get some other type of workout. I am not nearly as fit as she was, though.

TIA
If you hate treadmills and have the opportunity to get your cardio outside, then yes. I much prefer to do weights at the gym then get cardio outside in nature.

TIA
Yeah it is. I try to stay fit and personally prefer cardio before the workout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lbw0021