Found Deceased MD - Rachel Morin, 37, left for walk on Ma & Pa Trail 6pm, car found at Williams St entrance, Bel Air, 5 Aug 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it really that simple or easy to close down a social media account, especially when the account owner is deceased? I thought there was some legal process, but even then it would take a while, no super-quick closing?
One page was removed, the other is still open - Log into Facebook
It was more than a week, before it was closed, Someone else may know the exact timing.

Emergency Requests
In responding to a matter involving imminent harm to a child or risk of death or serious physical injury to any person and requiring disclosure of information without delay, a law enforcement official may submit a request through the Law Enforcement Online Request System at facebook.com/records.

Important note: We will not review or respond to messages sent to this email address by non-law enforcement officials. Users aware of an emergency situation should immediately and directly contact local law enforcement officials.

Remember though, this is only one person's unverified account of the scene. What may be a 15-20 ft trail to one person might be dispersed drops to another (maybe the blood was dropped by/off of the weapon if that weapon was carried to another spot) or it could be just as the responder speculated: she was attacked just outside the tunnel (this would still be off of the path) and then moved into the actual tunnel to conceal her. We just don't know.

jmo
Ahhh- attacked outside the culvert, then drug there to hide the body. I can be a bit thick at times ;)

Whatever happened did not happen in the wide open path imo. It happened where there was at least some cover. (And, upthread we talked about this a bit. Personally I think it makes sense that it was a grab and drag)

jmo
Yes that makes sense, my post targeted the fact no one heard anything? Perhaps someone did, but they aren't blabbing about it to the media.

How did the perp get Rachel off the trail to the tunnel without her screaming or fighting? Would she have cooperated and remained silent? It's not just a couple yards to the drainage culverts.

Could he have come up behind her and held a rag over her nose that contained something to knock her out quickly? If she had earbuds in and was not aware of her surroundings someone could have easily snuck up on her from behind in a blitz attack.

Yes that makes sense, my post targeted the fact no one heard anything? Perhaps someone did, but they aren't blabbing about it to the media.

I def recommend searching for that video which walks this trail at the same time of night that RM walked it. I found it very informative. There is a lot of noise from traffic where she was found.

jmo

The MG (the one who was in the media giving interviews) guy knows those trails very well. Even he's been dismissed as just some attention-seeker, the guy said so much AND apparently knew where to find her, which in itself is too weird. I'm not dismissing that guy just yet.
I don't think so :)
The poor guy seemed to be in shock.
And who can blame him?

JMO

The MG (the one who was in the media giving interviews) guy knows those trails very well. Even he's been dismissed as just some attention-seeker, the guy said so much AND apparently knew where to find her, which in itself is too weird. I'm not dismissing that guy just yet.

But, in his defense, if he (and his family) know the trail so well it wouldn't be a stretch for any of them to think to check areas where one might look to conceal a crime. In other words, the storm drain tunnels. She might have been found so quickly precisely because she was lucky enough to have someone so familiar with the trails looking for her.

jmo

The descriptor "trail" could mean many things. Could be footprints or droplets? If footprints, then yes - droplets I would say no, unless the perp himself were injured and bleeding (which would be GREAT).

I watched a video of someone who walked the various trails in the park today. The amount of ways one can enter that park was surprising. Many trail offshoots too. Do we know that Rachel entered through the Williams Street side?

Yes, according to a commenter on the HCSO fb page, they saw her at the Williams Street entrance around 6:45.

The descriptor "trail" could mean many things. Could be footprints or droplets? If footprints, then yes - droplets I would say no, unless the perp himself were injured and bleeding (which would be GREAT).

I watched a video of someone who walked the various trails in the park today. The amount of ways one can enter that park was surprising. Many trail offshoots too. Do we know that Rachel entered through the Williams Street side?

I didn't see this post (that you watched the video) until it was quoted. Sorry. The BBM part, yes!

Not necessarily, although that's possible too. I just know that head wounds can bleed profusely and was wondering if anyone else thought the perp would have enough blood on him/her to create the trail. MOO
If someone was assaulting her and she was on the ground, maybe she grabbed the rock and hit the perp first. That person could be injured and if they are I am betting they are out of the public eye and are acting very differently this past week until their wounds heal. Just my opinion/thinking out loud.

I think there needs to be a gopro type camera/recorder that directly feeds to an online program that outdoors enthusiast can wear. One that regardless of if it is physcially destroyed the recording is kept and can't be deleted for a certain period of time. Like CCTV on the highways but for trails, sidewalks, parks, etc. Even if the actual camera/recorder is destroyed or taken the online service has the information. JMO

Out of interest; people have posted this very enlightening wikipedia page in this thread. List of people killed while running - Wikipedia
I went back and looked at all the cases in the past 10 years; of the 31 cases listed, 25 were perpetrated by a stranger, 5 were killed by a person known to them, and 6 cases are still unsolved.

Of the 5 killed by a known person (all women), 3 were killed by their husband (Constance McClain-Murray, Alexia Daval, Janell Mora), 1 was killed by a male neighbor (Laura Luelmo), and one was killed by a male where they were known to each other but police have not released how (Sydney Sutherland).
Great work. I love number crunching. So, 16% of the murders cited of women jogging were committed by someone known to the victim. (5 out of 31)

I was curious about those five cases,

Constance McClain-Murray was killed by her husband in a public park. This is the only case of the five that is potentially close to Rachel's situation. The husband followed his wife when she went on nightly walk/jog. They had been arguing about him texting another woman. She was not SA, but strangled. He "looked" for her that night, but didn't call LE to report her missing until the next morning. FWIW, she had only one arm and perhaps not capable of fighting him off.

Alexia Daval - this case is from France. She reportedly went jogging. Her husband beat her to death and burned the body. The location of her body was not on her jogging route.

Janell Mora - fled her abusive marriage with her children and filed for divorce. Her husband shot her while she was jogging and hid her body. He then called 911, confessed, and shot himself. He survived.

Laura Luelmo was killed by a neighbor in Spain. He hit her with a rock and forced her into his home and later dumped her elsewhere.

Sydney Sutherland's killer hit her with his truck while she was jogging. He then kidnapped, raped, and beat her to death. She was found buried in a shallow grave near his home.

Sources:

Harford County Sheriff's Office

#Update Earlier today (Friday) These individuals were identified and contact by Detectives. Thank you for all your help in sharing.

#Helpuslocate #rachelmorin
Detectives have been made aware of potential witnesses that may have observed Rachel Morin on the trail. These individuals were walking on the Ma and PA trail from the Rt. 24 tunnel toward the split in the trail that leads to the Williams Street trailhead between 6:00 pm and 7:30 pm. These witnesses were described as either being 3 men, 2 women and 2 dogs OR 2 men, 3 women and 2 dogs.

If this is you, please reach out to Sgt. Maddox at maddoxc@harfordsheriff.org.
Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member