Found Deceased ME - Gerry Largay, 66, Appalachian Trail, 21 July 2013

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I just watched it too. I just knew she would be found at the end, but no it didn't happen so I jumped on the internet and found our thread. Now to go back and catch up reading.
Prayers to her and her family that she can be found soon.

My youngest son saw Gerry's story on North Woods and was eager to give me a new case and see if she had a thread. We are both sad to see there have been no new developments. For me, it seems hard to believe that nothing was found during the searches. I can understand the coverage the under growth can give but she only had so far to travel. I would think a slip mark or piece of clothing, how about a cell ping? something. jmo
I love to hike. Nothing scares me except other random humans I come across. I admire her fortitude to do something she had wanted to accomplish.
praying something turns up.

That was a good article. There is something to be said imo that this is the first case in Maine of a missing hiker to go unsolved.

I'm still envious of her doing this alone. It has to be gorgeous anytime of day in those mountains. After seeing the North Woods episode, some of those drop offs high up looked deadly. I still think if she slipped there she would've been found by now though. Those searchers really canvassed the areas she would've been in. Imo

Be on the lookout: Four who were subject of Maine searches in 2013 still missing

Geraldine Largay. Cecil Worster. Renald Poulin. Si “Tobi” Lam.

They are the four people who vanished in Maine in 2013 and who, despite extensive efforts to find them, remain missing as the new year unfolds.

[snip]

Largay, 66, of Brentwood, Tenn., disappeared in July while hiking the Appalachian Trail in Franklin County, according to the Maine Warden Service.

She was last seen by hikers July 21 and was reported missing July 24. A massive search involving several Maine agencies and hundreds of volunteers ensued. The search was scaled back on Aug. 4. Ground and aerial searches conducted since then failed to turn up any sign of the woman.

Largay is described as 5 feet, 5 inches tall, 115 pounds, with brown hair and brown eyes. An experienced hiker known as “Inchworm” on the trails, she was last seen wearing a red pullover shirt, tan shorts, a blue hat and a black-and-green backpack.

After her disappearance, both the Maine Warden Service and the Largay family were seeking any information from hikers or others with specific information related to Largay and her journey on the AT, especially information related to the dates between July 21-23.

Although Largay's family has offered a $15,000 reward for anyone able to locate her, the hiker remains missing.

bangordailynews.com/2014/01/13/news/state/be-on-the-lookout-four-who-were-subject-of-searches-in-maine-in-2013-still-missing/

Gerry, You are not forgotten. As a Maine girl, this case touched my heart. Gerry lived her dream and I wish she would have made it to Katahdin. I will always remember her free spirit, her determination, and her love for the trail.

I've always been so disappointed searches were called off so quickly (or so it seems from media here in Maine) and that I see nor hear nothing on the news, not even back in late summertime. I check now and then, wondering what ever happened, hoping something came up that I missed. Going to read these articles. It was what, 2 days of unknown… she was an experienced hiker. They've found SO many before, I still feel like they should have been able to find her and that something different went wrong than just going off the trail.

I always hoped we'd hear that great story of how she was lost or hurt and survived weeks on the land until found.

I've always been so disappointed searches were called off so quickly (or so it seems from media here in Maine) and that I see nor hear nothing on the news, not even back in late summertime. I check now and then, wondering what ever happened, hoping something came up that I missed. Going to read these articles. It was what, 2 days of unknown… she was an experienced hiker. They've found SO many before, I still feel like they should have been able to find her and that something different went wrong than just going off the trail.

I always hoped we'd hear that great story of how she was lost or hurt and survived weeks on the land until found.

It sounds like your local news had less than some nearby areas did. The media coverage in NH and MA was extensive and they searched hard for at least two weeks.

That's it though, just the first week or two and then there was nothing about it without searching online, which usually came up with nothing new. I recall hearing/seeing the report of calling off the searches and bam, it was over.

That's it though, just the first week or two and then there was nothing about it without searching online, which usually came up with nothing new. I recall hearing/seeing the report of calling off the searches and bam, it was over.

Unfortunately with a hiker, by that time they almost certainly aren't alive any more :(

I know… I just feel like the amt of time from when she was last heard from, last seen to when it was called in… Coverable for a search. I've always wondered if there was more to this, but we will never know unless she did fall and get hurt or get lost out of range of cellphone pinging and all other hikers and someday somebody finds remains.

Oh this woman's spirit shines through in her photos, then you hear what she was accomplishing and the familial support... you can't help but admire and adore her and her family!

Great detailed summation of events, maybe same as somebody posted before but a different source. Sorry if it duplicates. (I know I just popped in here, I was thinking of her tonight and googling, then realized there was probably a thread here) http://thephoenix.com/boston/news/155248-major-maine-and-national-mystery/?page=3#TOPCONTENT

I need to watch the show posted above, I've not seen it!

***btw, last night's local news... seems they've found bigfoot (an angry yeti) in Litchfield, ME*** :shocked2:

I know… I just feel like the amt of time from when she was last heard from, last seen to when it was called in… Coverable for a search. I've always wondered if there was more to this, but we will never know unless she did fall and get hurt or get lost out of range of cellphone pinging and all other hikers and someday somebody finds remains.

Oh this woman's spirit shines through in her photos, then you hear what she was accomplishing and the familial support... you can't help but admire and adore her and her family!

Yes, she was an amazing woman, wasn't she?

As far as I can tell from the reports, they did search as well as they could in the area you're talking about. Some parts of it are very rugged though. I have some friends who are rock climbers who were asked to help with the search in the area they were climbing -- not a formal search, but keep their eyes open. But two days' travel in potentially any direction is a circle 20-40 miles across. I know they tried to search the entire area, but they had to have missed ravines and such.

It's so sad. I feel so bad for her family.

I agree, it does seem they covered an amazing amt of area from all I've read. I'm just frustrated for all of them I think. :( I love the stories of people who always keep their eyes open though, sure does give hope not only to finding answers regarding Geraldine, but all the missing and unsolved.

Sigh. Still missing.

http://bangordailynews.com/2014/01/...es-in-maine-in-2013-still-missing/?ref=search

They are the four people who vanished in Maine in 2013 and who, despite extensive efforts to find them, remain missing as the new year unfolds.

Another 14 missing-person cases are listed on the Maine State Police website, the oldest dating back to 1971. Several more cases with Maine ties are listed in the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System, a national centralized repository and resource center for missing persons and unidentified remains records.

In all, at least 36 people with ties to Maine are listed as missing.

Although Largay’s family has offered a $15,000 reward for anyone able to locate her, the hiker remains missing.

The Appalachian Long Distance Hikers Association is planning a week long search for Gerry Largay beginning May 27, 2014.

http://aldha.org/new.html

Best wishes for a safe search and and a thanks in advance to all the volunteers.

It has bothered me all winter where Inchworm could be; praying for answers to come to light.

A repeat of the original search for Gerry is on North Woods Law right now.

http://www.wsmv.com/story/25715033/still-no-sign-of-missing-brentwood-woman-on-appalachian-trail

he 24-year-old reporter was so moved by Largay's story, wondering where she was and what could have happened to her, that she packed her bags last week and headed to Maine to helpsearch for the woman.

"We split into two teams of about six, and we had the two teams search the different parts of the mountain," Pace said.

Pace joined about 20 volunteers from the Appalachian Long Distance Hikers Association. Each day, from dawn to dusk, the group combed miles of streams and dense brush north of where Largay was last seen for any sign she'd been there.

"Like a blue hat, her backpack. She had some sort of pink jacket with her," Pace said. "One person would walk the trail, and two people on either side of the trail would go out maybe 50 yards and just search the area starting from the top down."

Unfortunately, there has been no sign of woman.

http://www.centralmaine.com/2014/07...er-geraldine-largay-searchers-still-in-limbo/

Largay’s family and friends have remained in limbo during the past year.

David Fox, a friend of and spokesman for the family, said George Largay, who is in the process of moving to a new home in Brentwood, and the rest of his family continue to grapple with the emotional weight of what happened.

“This is a rough stretch for him on the anniversary,” Fox said. “They are really kind of holding each other close and really relying on their faith right now.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klaus28
Back