ME - Lewiston, Mass Shooting, Multiple Scenes - Oct 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have a link but earlier today on CNN, they reported he had been in a "military" hospital for 2 weeks during the summer. That may have been a VA hospital. I think they said it was in central NY.
Here are all the VA facilities in NYS

His appearance in the surveillance photo (where he is wielding the gun) looks a lot thinner, almost gaunt, compared to his DL photo. I wonder if he's lost weight with whatever issues have been going on in his life lately. Or could just be the angle ....

Katie Card said her brother-in-law was allowed to check himself out of the facility voluntarily after a couple of weeks. Since then, she said he has been quiet and continued to think he heard voices. “He thought he heard voices at multiple places out in public,” she said by text.

The shooting is completely out of character with what she knows of him, she added. “He’s hard working. He’s always been quiet, and so kind. This is just an acute episode, it is not who he is.”

Katie Card implored her brother-in-law to turn himself in. “We just want him to know we love him and we can get through it,” she said, her voice breaking. “But he has to turn himself in. We are praying for all the families. Our hearts are breaking for all of them.”

Bob Violette, 76

Violette was a longtime bowling instructor who was teaching youth league voters at Just-In-Time when the shooting started, according to CBS News.
Maine mass shooting victim Bob Violette.

Maine mass shooting victim Bob Violette.facebook
He was a retired Sears mechanic who bowled at the venue most mornings during the week and was in a couples league with his wife, Lucy, the Lewiston Sun Journal said.

Violette was also recently inducted into the Maine Bowling Hall of Fame.

“For as long as I can remember, there wasn’t a kid that he wouldn’t help,” co-worker Brandon Dubuc told CBS. “He was just always a warm presence.”

Tricia Asselin, 53

Asselin, a part-time worker at Just-In-Time, was not working and bowling for fun Wednesday night when the shooter stormed in, her family told CNN.

“What I’m told is that when it all started happening, she ran up to the counter and started to call 911, and that’s when she was shot,” her brother, DJ Johnson told the outlet. “That was just her. She wasn’t going to run. She was going to try and help.

Maine mass shooting victim Trcua Asselin.

Maine mass shooting victim Tricia Asselin.facebook

“She and I talked probably three or four times a week and we texted every day,” he said. “Her son was her entire life. From the day he was born to yesterday. She did everything for him … he was her world.”

Asselin was “the rock of the family” and “kept everyone on an even keel,” Johnson said.

“If there was an argument going on, she would be the one to calm everyone down. If somebody was having a bad day, she would be right on the phone to talk to you about it.”

Joseph Walker

Walker was the bar manager at Schemengees Bar and was on duty when the gunman opened fire, just minutes after leaving the bowling alley about four miles away.

His father, Leroy Walker, confirmed that he was among the victims.

“He died as a hero, because he picked up a butcher knife… and he tried to go after the gunman,” the grieving father told NBC’s Lester Holt. “The gunman shot him twice through the stomach.”

When asked if knowing about his son’s brave final act helped ease his grief, Leroy brought his hands to his head and said, “It made it worse!”

Joseph Walker and his wife

Schemengees Bar and Gille manager Joseph Walker. Facebook/Joseph Walker

Steven Vozzella

Vozzella was participating in a cornhole tournament for deaf adults when the shooting broke out at Schemengees — with his family confirming he was among the dead, CNN said.

Maine mass shooting victim Steven Vozzella.

Maine mass shooting victim Steven Vozzella.Facebook/Megan Vozzella
According to social media, Vozzella is also deaf, and married his wife, Megan, just last year.

Bryan MacFarlane, 40

MacFarlane, a member of Lewiston’s deaf community, was taking part in the tournament after recently moving back to his native Maine, his family told CNN.

His sister, Keri Brooks, told the outlet her brother was one of the first deaf people to earn his commercial truck driver’s license in Vermont.

“Many states don’t let deaf drive trucks so I’m very proud of him for achieving that,” she said.

She said he drove a rig for several years.

“I grew up in Maine and the deaf community is a tight-knit community,” Brooks said. “Not only was my brother slain but my friends were too.”

Bill Bracket

Bracket was also attending the cornhole tournament at the time of the shooting, his family told ABC.

“I’ll never forget the laughs I had you in when I was trying to learn some sign language at cornhole,” Nick Perry, a friend of the dead man, said in a Facebook Post on Thursday.

Maine mass shooting victim Bill Brackett.

Maine mass shooting victim Bill Brackett
more at link:

I don't have a link but earlier today on CNN, they reported he had been in a "military" hospital for 2 weeks during the summer. That may have been a VA hospital. I think they said it was in central NY.
There is a VA hospital in Syracuse, NY (which would be Central NY) that offers behavioral health treatment: Mental health care | Veterans Affairs

Interestingly enough, this VA health center is where my father recently got his new, high-powered hearing aids. He frequently doesn't wear them because they work too well; he says that he can hear himself chew and he almost whispers now when he talks because he says his voice echoes in his head.

Katie Card said her brother-in-law was allowed to check himself out of the facility voluntarily after a couple of weeks. Since then, she said he has been quiet and continued to think he heard voices. “He thought he heard voices at multiple places out in public,” she said by text.

The shooting is completely out of character with what she knows of him, she added. “He’s hard working. He’s always been quiet, and so kind. This is just an acute episode, it is not who he is.”

Katie Card implored her brother-in-law to turn himself in. “We just want him to know we love him and we can get through it,” she said, her voice breaking. “But he has to turn himself in. We are praying for all the families. Our hearts are breaking for all of them.”

Still waters run deep.

Well, it’s who he is now!!

ScreenHunter-467-728x381.png

There is a significant amount of police activity at the last known address of the suspect in the Lewiston mass shooting that occurred last night. It is unclear if he is at the residence, but the FBI is reportedly at his house and demanding that someone open the door

<modsnip: Not an approved source>

Last edited by a moderator:
Neighbors told WJAR Card lives in West Bowdoin.

WJAR's Dan Jaehnig was one of a handful of journalists who were outside the house Thursday afternoon. He said people who live nearby told him Card's family is well-known in the area and owns a lot of property.

As far as you can see, everything around here is their land. They're farmers. They're really good people," said Richard Goddard.
I've been here 44 years, I know everyone. I mean, it's a small community. I mean, the Cards are really good people," Goddard added. "They're hardworking, farming people, and this whole thing is absolutely mind-blowing."
Several other neighbors refused to comment out of loyalty to the family.

A few others said they are scared.

"I knew he was back around last year because I saw his brother and talked to him while he was hunting," Goddard said of Card. "Other than that, he's been in the military the last 20 years as far as I knew."

The Coast Guard is now using a response vessel dispatched from Boothbay Harbor, Maine, and a fixed-wing aircraft from Cape Cod, Massachusetts, to search the waterways for Card, who is believed to be in a 15-foot lake boat. The search is focused on the northern shore of the waterway.

According to a Maine law enforcement bulletin seen by CBS News, Card has a 2022 Yamaha motorcycle and a 2019 Sea-Doo green boat registered in his name, in addition to the white Subaru. It’s not clear if the Sea-Doo boat is the same boat that Card is believed to be in.

He would have had to go home right after this happened if he did, surely LE has been monitoring his home. How far was the dumped car from his home?
About 10 miles (17 minutes drive) from Papermill Trail in Lisbon (near boat launch where his vehicle was found) to the home where LE is on Meadow Rd in Bowdoin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hawk53