Media Links Only - No Discussion

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Stacy Peterson's friends, family dismiss significance of affidavit

Drew Peterson's lawyer says mention of other man supports defense's case

Stacy Peterson's friends and family Thursday waved off the significance of an affidavit made public this week, which said Stacy had told a fellow student she wanted out of her marriage to Drew one day before she disappeared.

"This is a tip of the iceberg," Pam Bosco, a spokeswoman for Stacy Peterson's family, said at a hastily assembled news conference in Bolingbrook. "There's a lot more under the water in this investigation."

<<<<<<<<<full article at link>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-stacy-peterson-webaug22,0,5152408.story?track=rss

Blagojevich may alter timing of hearsay bill

Law could change tenor of possible Peterson trial

Gov. Rod Blagojevich will likely send legislation back to lawmakers that could affect the possible prosecution of former Bolingbrook police Sgt. Drew Peterson after an oversight left out the measure's effective date, according to the bill's sponsor.

"The governor's likely going to do an amendatory veto, and the amendatory veto is going to make it clear that the bill is effective immediately," said Sen. A.J. Wilhelmi (D- Joliet). "It's unfortunate that this got left out, but we're making sure that the bill . . . is corrected."

The bill, pushed by Will County State's Atty. James Glasgow, would allow a judge to decide at a pretrial hearing whether hearsay testimony could be admitted into court if the prosecution could prove that the defendant made the witness disappear. The bill would apply only to first-degree murder cases.

But without an effective date written specifically into the bill, the law wouldn't take effect until July 1, 2009,...............

.....................snip.......................

According to the affidavit, Kurdenok advised Peterson that she should take cash with her and not use credit cards so she wouldn't be found.

"It tells everyone she was plotting this and she acted on it," Peterson said Thursday.

Reached by phone Thursday, Kurdenok declined to comment.

The affidavit was in support of the first search warrant for the Peterson home. Brodsky said he got it as part of discovery in a felony gun case pending against Peterson. His next court date is Aug. 28.

Stacy Peterson's friends and family Thursday waved off the affidavit's significance.

"A lot more interviews and information that we haven't seen or are privy to [are] part of this investigation of Stacy," said Pam Bosco, a spokeswoman for Stacy Peterson's family. "Drew Peterson is still the prime suspect of this potential homicide of Stacy Peterson."

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<full article at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-hearsay_22aug22,0,1786740.story?track=rss

Families of missing raise awareness
Wednesday, August 27, 2008 | 6:57 PM

BOLINGBROOK (WLS) -- The families of the Bradley sisters, Rachel Mellon and Stacy Peterson joined together to try and help other families prevent abductions of their loved ones.
Just after 6 p.m. Wednesday, 40 people gathered in Whistler Park in Bolingbrook and let balloons go in honor of Rachel, the Bolingbrook teen who went missing 12 years ago.
Although the families have been working and trying to keep the cases in the headlines, they say they welcome help from an out-of-state organization that has come trying to get the word out about missing persons.

<<<<<<<<<<full article at link>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=6355421

Missing persons group visits Bolingbrook
ABDUCTION PREVENTION DAY

August 28, 2008

BOLINGBROOK -- This week the mayor of Bolingbrook proclaimed Wednesday Abduction Prevention Day, just in time for a national group devoted to missing people to pay a visit.

Mayor Roger Claar made the proclamation right after paying tribute to the independence days of Pakistan and India. While reading the short statement during Tuesday's village board meeting, he dropped the names of Bolingbrook residents Rachel Mellon Skemp, who vanished in 1996, and Stacy Peterson, who disappeared in October.
Wednesday, the Community United Effort Center For Missing Persons stopped in Bolingbrook to raise awareness of the Skemp and Peterson cases during a 17-state tour.

<<<<<<<<full article at link>>>>>>>>>

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldnews/news/1131758,4_1_JO28_PETERSON_S1.article

Drew Peterson's trial date set on felony gun charges over modified ...
[SIZE=-1]Chicago Tribune - United States[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]By Erika Slife | Chicago Tribune reporter [/SIZE]

A Will County judge set a Dec. 8 trial date for former Bolingbrook Police Sgt. Drew Peterson, who faces felony gun charges stemming from the investigation of his wife's disappearance.

The trial could take up to two weeks, Judge Richard Schoenstedt said Thursday.
snip

Peterson is next scheduled to appear in court on Sept. 18 for a pretrial hearing.

Ex-Bolingbrook cop Drew Peterson might be too famous to stand trial in Will County, his attorneys said Thursday.

They said that as a result, they might seek to move his Dec. 8 trial on a felony weapons charge out of Will County.

Intense news coverage of the October 2007 disappearance of Peterson's fourth wife and the mysterious 2004 death of his third wife could make it tough for him to get a fair trial on the weapons charge, his lawyers said.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/peterson/1134035,CST-NWS-boling29.article

Bolingbrook Police Chief Trades Peterson Saga For Parks Job

Last Edited: Saturday, 30 Aug 2008, 4:47 PM CDT
Created: Saturday, 30 Aug 2008, 4:47 PM CDT

Bolingbrook, IL. -- Bolingbrook Police Chief Ray McGury is turning in his badge and taking up a new job: running the Naperville Park District.

................snip...............

There were tumultuous times during his tenure in Bolingbrook, most notably the criminal investigation of then-Sgt. Drew Peterson that began after the October 2007 disappearance of Peterson's fourth wife. Peterson retired from his police job within weeks of Stacy Peterson vanishing and has been named a suspect by investigators in her still-unsolved disappearance.

The high-profile case focused extensive attention on the department. McGury called it "one of the most difficult situations I've ever encountered in my career."

<<<<<<<<<<<full article at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/myfox/p...n=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

New police chief on tap

August 31, 2008

BOLINGBROOK -- The police department's second-in-command will take over when Chief Ray McGury leaves next month.

Deputy Chief Kevin McCarthy will be sworn in as chief Sept. 9 and assume leadership of the department three days later.

McGury, 48, a 20-year-veteran of the Naperville Police Department

.................snip.......................

In an interview last week McGury said he was not looking to leave the department, which has been a focus of the media since the October disappearance of Stacy Peterson, wife of former Bolingbrook police officer Drew Peterson. Joining the Park District was simply an opportunity that presented itself, McGury said.

...................snip.........................

He's also no stranger to high-pressure situations, having worked undercover on the Metropolitan Area Narcotics Squad.

In 1987, McCarthy was carrying a briefcase with $38,000 in marked bills, when one of three drug dealers he was buying a kilo of cocaine from became suspicious.

The dealer searched McCarthy and found he was wearing a wire, another started to beat him with a baseball bat while the third put a gun to his head.

MANS agent Martin Shifflet ran from his surveillance car and through several back yards to aid McCarthy inside the house. The dealer who was armed shot at Shifflet, but missed.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<full article at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldnews/news/1137330,4_1_JO31_CHIEF_S1.article

A woman abused by a police officer endures a life of secrecy and desperation, domestic violence experts say.

She feels she can't report the abuse to the police, because he is the police. She can't hide in a shelter; he knows where they are. In court, it's her word against that of a sworn officer.

"It's something that is just bubbling underneath the radar screen in this country, when it comes to police family violence," said Margaret Moore, director of the National Center for Women and Policing.

But when domestic violence cases involving police officers are propelled into the media glare—most prominently, in recent months, the allegations against former Bolingbrook Police Sgt. Drew Peterson, who denied them—experts believe that awareness can encourage lawmakers and police agencies to institute policies that help protect oft-hidden victims.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chicago/chi-police-domestic-abusesep03,0,7131209.story

'Fatal vows': Book digs in to Stacy Peterson's disappearance
'FATAL VOWS':

'There's something wrong with this'

September 7, 2008

................snip.......................

Around 2 p.m., Bychowski called Stacy's cell phone. The call went straight to voice mail, which struck Bychowski as odd. "When she's gone, she never turned her cell off, ever."

Bychowski did not hear from Stacy for the rest of the day. At about 8:30 a.m. the next morning - Monday, Oct. 29 - her doorbell rang. She expected it to be Stacy, who usually rang the bell and walked right in. This time, though, it was Peterson. He grabbed Bychowski by the arm and, saying he needed her, took her to his house. She didn't even have time to put on her shoes.

"I thought, 'Oh, my God. Oh, my God, what's wrong?' My heart is pounding, that kind of pounding when you get pulled over by the cops? ... 'What's wrong? What's wrong?' 'Just come, come.' He wouldn't tell me. I see that there's both cars in the driveway."

Once she was inside Peterson's house, he dropped what he must have thought was a bombshell, only Bychowski knew it was coming.

"He says, 'She left me,' " Bychowski said. "I go, 'Yeah.' ... I'm thinking, 'And?' 'Cause I know how unhappy she is, and I know she wants to leave him. I thought she left for sure.

"I said, 'Where are the kids?' And he says, 'They're upstairs.' "

With this revelation, she knew something was amiss. "He goes, 'I know this is really difficult for you. I know you thought she was your bud and all.' I'm like, 'Now what do I do?' I'm in the house alone with him, basically. And you know what else was odd? Everything was perfect. Like, we have the same flowers. They're always on her kitchen table. Gone. There's nothing on the kitchen table. No kids' placemats. No sippy cups. Nothing. Odd." Peterson then complained of Stacy looting their safe and going on a spending spree. He said she took $25,000 from their safe at home, Bychowski said, but Stacy had told Bychowski the week before that she had transferred $25,000 to pay off a home-equity line of credit so they would only have to divide up assets and not liabilities. "But he doesn't know that I know that," Bychowski said. "So I just said, 'Oh.' "

Peterson said Stacy also took passports and car and house titles and bought herself new clothes and a bikini. The list gave Bychowski further cause for concern.

"Well, I also know that she has a favorite bikini. She's not going to give that up. I know she has these fabulous bras that she bought herself as a treat after she had her liposuction. I said, 'She's not giving up those bras.' I know her. She had favorite bras. She's not giving up all those bras."

Bychowski was in disbelief. She figured Stacy would leave Peterson sooner or later, but she could not swallow that the young woman would abruptly depart without taking her children. When she got home and briefed her husband, she said he had a similar sense of dread.

"I said, 'Bob, the kids are there.' He sits up and he goes, 'OK, that's not right.' I said, 'You don't think I'm being a drama queen to tell you that I think that there's something wrong with this?' And he goes, 'One thing I know about her is, she'd never leave her kids.'

"My husband's not involved with a lot of stuff," Bychowski said, "but he knows her well enough to know those kids are always with her."

Soon after Bychowski returned home, Stacy's sister Cassandra and Bruce Zidarich were at her door.

<<<<<<<full article at link>>>>>>>>>

http://www.southtownstar.com/news/1148773,090708fatalvows.article

JOURNO INTRIGUED BY VANISHING WIVES

By Cindy Adams
Posted: 4:24 am
September 10, 2008

DREW Peterson. You know the name. He's hogged the telly news shows. With his lawyer. Saying no idea, absolutely can't imagine, what happened to his missus, who seems to have vanished into some really thick thin air.

.............snip.............

During the evening we were on the phone, Joseph Hosey tried calling Drew Peterson for his opinion of this book. No answer. The ex-cop was out. Who knows, maybe shopping for a fifth Mrs. Peterson. He is currently dating a lady two years Stacy's junior.

So, with authorities dredging rivers and canals for a body thus pegging this as a potential homicide, what's to be the end of this case?

"Drew gets arrested shortly. All's hush-hush off the record, but I hear he'll be picked up within the next few weeks. Wife No. 3's body was exhumed, re-examined, now ruled a homicide."

<<<<<<<<<full article at link>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.nypost.com/seven/09102008/gossip/cindy/journo_intrigued_by_vanishing_wives_128386.htm

Bikers to help raise funds for Stacy Peterson search effort

Bolingbrook, IL -
Motorcycle enthusiasts from around the Chicago area are expected to descend upon Romeoville Saturday, Sept. 13, to raise money to help in the search for missing Bolingbrook woman Stacy Peterson.

The group Friends of Stacy Peterson has organized a motorcycle poker run, which will lead bikers on a 75-mile route through the Joliet area and four of its area businesses. Participants will meet at Brunswick Zone, 735 N. Center Blvd., Romeoville, Saturday morning and head to Conrad’s Harley-Davidson in Joliet.

Carol Penning, event organizer and Peterson’s close friend, said participants will be given a poker card at each of the five stops, with the top three hands winning prizes.
<<<<<<<<<full article at link>>>>>>>>>

http://www.mysuburbanlife.com/carol...-raise-funds-for-Stacy-Peterson-search-effort

DREW PETERSON'S ATTORNEY QUESTIONS SECRET RECORDINGS THAT ALLEGEDLY INCRIMINATE HIS CLIENT.

Drew Peterson's attorney was smacked with a heavy revelation during a Thursday hearing for the embattled ex-cop's felony gun case.

Attorney Joel Brodsky called into question whether the state actually possessed recordings of overhears performed on his client, and learned from Judge Richard Schoenstedt that not only do they exist, but they are "extensive."

"Mr. Brodsky, you need to know that all these tapes, CDs DVDs, I have them," Schoenstedt said.

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldnews/news/1172852,4_1_JO19_PETERSON_S1.article

The author of an upcoming book about a former police officer suspected in the disappearance of his wife says the former officer took two lie detector tests.

Derek Armstrong won't say anything about the results of Drew Peterson's polygraph examinations until "Drew Peterson Exposed" is released next month. But in a news release, Armstrong says he insisted that Peterson take the examinations.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=6411195

Governor amends hearsay bill prompted by Stacy Peterson case
[SIZE=-1]Chicago Tribune - United States[/SIZE]
October 8, 2008

Gov. Rod Blagojevich sent a bill back to legislators Tuesday that could affect possible prosecution of former Bolingbrook police sergeant Drew Peterson in the disappearance of his wife, Stacy, or the death of his former wife Kathleen Savio.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyTheSleuth
Back