Menhaz Zaman, 23, Markham, Toronto, Suspect in Quadruple Homicide - Markham Family Murders

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

afitzy

Former Member
Reaction score
The four people found dead in a Markham home over the weekend came from three generations of what appeared to be a happy family, friends said Tuesday, as they mourned the victims of what police called a quadruple homicide.

The dead were identified by friends as Malesa Zaman, her father Moniruz Zaman, mother Momtaz Zaman, and grandmother. Police haven’t named the victims, nor have they said what relationship exists between them or Menhaz Zaman, a 23-year-old who has been charged with four counts of first-degree murder.

Robin Islam, who called himself a long-time friend of the Zamans, said the young man who has been charged was the son of Moniruz and Momtaz Zaman. Islam said the family was a social one and enjoyed spending time with friends.

“They were always very happy, nice and decent family,” the 45-year-old said. “We’d sit in the same corner and we’d talk, we’d go to family barbecues.”

Man charged with 1st-degree murder after 4 people found dead in Markham home

York Regional Police say a 23-year-old man has been charged with four counts of first-degree murder after four people were found dead in a Markham home on Sunday.

Police said officers were called to a home on Castlemore Avenue, near Mingay Avenue and southwest of Major MacKenzie Drive East and Markham Road, just before 3 p.m. with a report multiple people may have been injured.

A man at the front door of the home was taken into custody after officers arrived and police said they found three women and a man dead inside.

4 members of same family found dead in Markham home remembered by friends, co-workers

Markham quadruple murder suspect writes about killing family in chat group

Religion motivating factor in alleged Markham murders: Friends

Quotes from article:
"Not much is known about Menhaz Zaman, the alleged Markham massacre murderer".

"The 23-year-old was a veteran of an online video game called VoidPerfect World and was known well by those he played with".

"The Toronto Sun spoke to some of his online pals who said Zaman had recently became an atheist, and grew increasingly hostile towards the religion of Islam".

“He never spoke ill of anyone until about 2-3 weeks ago he became very aggressive towards the Islam religion,” Zaman’s close online friend and game moderator said.

js-racist.jpg

“His character was named ‘Allah’ at one point and because he was my friend I told him to stop kindly but he didn’t stop.”

"Reports of the offensive language regarding the “religion (Islam) and its people,” from Zaman’s alleged Discord account got to a point where he was banned from the server on July 11".

“I never took him seriously because he is always joking about everything,” the moderator said.

A different moderator told the Sun his sudden hostility towards Islam was “because of terrorism and immoral acts in the name of religion.”

march-comment.jpg

Zaman has been described by his online friends as a ‘troll’ — someone who makes inflammatory remarks online to get a rise out of people.

And while he had made alarming remarks in the past, he privately messaged one online pal back in March saying “I’m going to kill my parents.”

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/markham-homicides-victims-zaman-fundraiser-1.5230358

Quote from article:
"Ammara Riaz, a former tenant of the family, said that all four lived in their Markham home with 23-year-old Menhaz Zaman, who has been charged with four counts of first-degree murder in connection with the deaths".

"York Regional Police have said only that the victims were three women and a man. Their identities will be released by investigators once post-mortem examinations are completed, police said".

"Toronto-based Beck Taxi said in a statement that Moniruz, Menhaz's father, worked as a driver for the company and had been employed since 2011".

"It's an extremely shocking and sad time," said Beck Taxi spokesperson Kristine Hubbard.

"We're devastated to hear about what has happened and our thoughts are with their family and friends."

"Robin Islam, who described himself as a longtime family friend, told The Canadian Press on Tuesday that Moniruz and his wife came to Canada from Bangladesh in the 1980s seeking a better life. The couple celebrated their 25th wedding anniversary last month, Islam said".

"The family was social and enjoyed spending time with friends, he added".

"They were always very happy, nice and decent family," the 45-year-old Islam said. "We'd sit in the same corner and we'd talk, we'd go to family barbecues."

The four people found dead in a Markham home over the weekend came from three generations of what appeared to be a happy family, friends said Tuesday, as they mourned the victims of what police called a quadruple homicide.

The dead were identified by friends as Malesa Zaman, her father Moniruz Zaman, mother Momtaz Zaman, and grandmother. Police haven’t named the victims, nor have they said what relationship exists between them or Menhaz Zaman, a 23-year-old who has been charged with four counts of first-degree murder.

Sharing details of mass killings on social media, online gaming sites ‘an emerging trend’: experts

Quotes from article:
"Cybersecurity expert Daniel Tobok said he wasn’t surprised when he heard that quadruple homicide suspect Menhaz Zaman allegedly shared the details of the killings in on an online gaming chat group, called Perfect World, before and after the murders".

“There’s been an emerging trend in the past five to seven years,” said Tobok.

“What we’re seeing today is, with a lot of the social media platforms, a gateway — [to] have a new way to communicate your message, have a lot of viewers either commenting or being a part of that.”

"Tobok adds that the world of gaming has ‘exploded’ over the past few years, and even though most of the online chatter is about gameplay, people have started using it as a platform to discuss more heinous activities".

"Psychologist Oren Amitay said social media or gaming can provide mass killers with an audience they may not find in their everyday lives".

“If you know one friend who validates you or shares your experience, that’s nothing compared to supposedly having thousands of friends or followers giving you that validation,” said Amitay".

Last edited:
Another family annihilation set of murders.

Anyway, another "perfectly nice guy" goes ballistic. Apparently, he had been lying to his family for three years about going to university and shared pictures of the crime on a discord server:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/menhaz-zaman-discord-chat-messages-images-1.5229187

He went to the mall and gym instead of going to university. He pretended for three years, after dropping out after the first year.

From the article:

He wrote that he became depressed during his year at university, "became an atheist, and ultimately created this plan."

"I did this bc [because] I dont want my parents to feel the shame of having a son like me," the user Menhaz wrote in the messages.

I knew the victims via other Bangladeshi immigrants in Toronto. I myself am also an atheist, since my teenage years, but have quite religious sisters, mom, elders, etc.

After dropping out of York University Mechanical Engineering program, MZ was unable to tell his parents. If he did, they would have guided him to an easier program, even if it was a college degree.

During the multi-year deception, MZ was somehow manipulated into a hate group called "ex-muslims" who also tried to recruit me.

They share same FB stuff as the worst anti-muslim personalities of European far-right. But they add the twist that they can verify all the contents, because they were muslims.

I didn't comment earlier on this thread, but there would have been another NZ style massacre in Norway, in a mosque with exact same name, but during Eid prayers. The guy got the date wrong.

Sept 25 2020
MANDEL: 'I just slaughtered my entire family' -- son pleads guilty to killing spree | Toronto Sun
''In a Newmarket court Thursday, his lawyer Adele Monaco said Zaman, 24, pleaded guilty to one count of second-degree murder for the slaying of his mother Momotaz Begum, 50, and to three counts of first-degree murder for the killings of his grandmother Firoza Begum, 70, sister Malesa Zaman, 21, and father Moniruz Zaman, 59.

“Mr. Zaman will be sentenced on October 26,” Monaco said in an emailed statement. “I will be making submissions at that time.”

Oct 26 2020 rbbm
Markham man who pleaded guilty to murdering family shouldn’t be eligible for parole for 40 years: lawyers
''During Monday’s hearing, assistant Crown attorney Kevin Stewart said the Crown and the defence were submitting a joint recommendation that Zaman serve life in prison with a 25-year period of parole ineligibility for the first-degree murders of Begum, Moniruz and Malesa. He said Menhaz should have a further 15 years of parole ineligibility for the second-degree murder of Momtaz, noting there were issues in determining if her murder was planned and deliberate.

If the recommendation is accepted by the court, Menhaz would be eligible for parole when he’s 64 years old.
In referencing the agreed statement of facts, he highlighted how Begam and Momtaz were murdered first. He said Menhaz sat in the house, played video games and napped after their deaths before he killed Moniruz and Malesa.

“A home is supposed to be a place of safety, of security, of sanctity,” Stewart said.

“It’s beyond belief a young man can do this to his whole family.”

Stewart also asked for probation and DNA orders should Menhaz be released from prison.

Justice Michelle Fuerst said she would deliver her sentence on Nov. 2.''

i just wonder- how could he actually kill 4 adults-?
you would think that they would have fought back- how were they killed?
Oct 27 2020 rbbm.
image.jpg

The grim discovery was made after police officers were led to the home by users of an online gaming platform.

'I am sorry': Markham, Ont. man apologizes in court for killing four family members last summer
''According to an agreed statement of facts presented in court at an earlier date, Zaman killed his mother first at 3 p.m. and then his grandmother about an hour later. He then sat around playing video games and napping while waiting for his father and sister to return from their jobs. He killed his sister around 11 p.m. and his father about an hour after that.

Autopsies revealed he had struck each of them on the head, with most likely a crow bar, and when they fell to the floor, he cut their throats,” the agreed statement of facts said.''

Nov 6 2020
Markham man who slaughtered entire family sentenced to life in prison, no parole for 40 years - CityNews Toronto
victims-markham.jpg

The victims of the Markham homicide identified by a source as the father, mother, grandmother, and sister of the suspect. FACEBOOK

''A 24-year-old man who slaughtered his entire family before they discovered his double life has been sentenced to life in prison and will not be eligible for parole for a period of 40 years.

The sentencing of Menhaz Zaman was initially scheduled for Monday but was delayed due to videoconferencing problems.''

''All counts come with an automatic life sentence, and both defence and Crown lawyers were seeking the 40-year period of parole ineligibility.''

OMG!!!

This story is absolutely whack! I just watched the Peacock documentary on this case and was blown away. If anyone has even the slightest curiosity about what happened, I highly recommend this show.

So sad and heartbreaking for family and friends of the four victims.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
missylaforme
Back