MI - 4 students killed, 6 injured, Oxford High School shooting, 30 Nov 2021 *Arrest incl parents* #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADMIN NOTE:

No gun control discussion folks. It is not allowed at WS because it leads to bickering over the pros and cons, feelings get hurt, and nothing that is said at Websleuths will ever change anything in that regard.

Thanks for your understanding.

Ethan Crumbley is not affluent, not getting the connection other than both have crappy parents. Couches parents did everything they could to protect their son, the Crumbley’s ran and left their son to fend for himself.
According to the video in the post following yours, the ex who couldn’t get Crumbley to pay $67 a week in child support says he bought Ethan any thing he wanted.
She says he makes six figures, so at least $100,000 a year is doing ok, if not affluent. She would know from court ordered income statements for child support.

FFxSkm1WYAITgPl

Statement from the attorneys ahead of the arraignment.

https://twitter.com/mikerreports/status/1467138371344637953

In light of what we know about the meeting with the parents though, I can’t help but wonder what the school would have done if I hadn’t picked him up.

Would they have made good on their threats or would they have given him another chance because it was his first “offense”?

I have a feeling that school resources and the over all school situation may be key factors. For example, my children have gone to the following two schools:

- School A "Bubbleville": School was in a high income socio economic bubble. Very involved parents kept problems to a minimum. The district offered higher wages- and therefore had their pick of highly capable teachers, administrators, councilers etc. They also had the resources to both quickly assign extra staff to assist a student- but also to take very quick action against persistent problem students.

- School B "Working Worldville: 85% students are from recently immigrated families . District is not wealthy. Most of the staff are great. The abilities of the councilers, however are not nearly the same.

There are no "multi disciplinary intervention" teams on stand by to address behavior problems. Traditional big families have met modern divorce rates. There are a lot of overwhelmed single parents and a lot of badly supervised children.

The school tolerates things that "Bubbleville" never would. The kid who brought the gun to school is gone fast and for good. Knives are given second, or third chances. So are bullies, persistent fighters, discipline problems and thieves. The alternative school is filled and Workingworld staff feel that exposure to the alternative school can worsen problems when they come back.

In the end, problem people who would have received individual attention in Bubbleville are given far less attention in Workingworldville. There are just far more problems and far less resources.

Last edited:
According to the video in the post following yours, the ex who couldn’t get Crumbley to pay $67 a week in child support says he bought Ethan any thing he wanted.
She says he makes six figures, so at least $100,000 a year is doing ok, if not affluent. She would know from court ordered income statements for child support.
I guess it depends on how you define affluent , the Couche’s were mega millionaires wealthy and argued that the son’s affluent lifestyle contributed to him not knowing that driving intoxicated was wrong. They used their mega wealth to protect him. I think the two families had very different lifestyles MOO

I have worked at many schools, where going through a metal detector is the norm. With security who also wands kids as well. It can be done. And is done at a lot of schools, for the last 25 years.

However, these are usually schools in gang areas, or schools already targeted for high risk volatile students. Working in these schools, you don't even have a pair of scissors in your desk. I have seen pens and pencils used as weapons, so kids had crayon pencils to write with.

Do all schools need to go to that? I believe that teaching school should be considered a high risk job, and there should be a lot of proactive measures to increase school safety, but, as usual, no one is proactive, everything is reactive.
You may be surprised at the schools in low crime rural areas like Maine and Carroll Co. VA who pro actively installed metal detectors because they noticed school shootings are not happening because of gangs in high crime areas.
A lot more is invested in metal detectors than mental health services.
This 2019 article breaks down the rising statistics in depression, anxiety, and suicide in school kids.

Mental Health Trails Metal Detectors in School Safety Dollars

More than half of lifetime mental illnesses begin before age 14, according to NAMI, yet the average person waits 10 years after the first symptoms occur before getting treatment.

School shootings are considered both a symptom and a cause of teens’ deteriorating mental health.

More than 221,000 kids experienced gun violence at their schools since the Columbine High School shooting in 1999, according to an analysis by the Washington Post. And last year was the deadliest on record.

Gunmen killed 56 people in U.S. school shootings in 2018, including eight students and two teachers at Santa Fe High School in Texas. It was the second-deadliest shooting that year behind one at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, in which a gunman killed 17 people in February.

Nationwide, more than a hundred others were wounded by gunfire in 2018, including 13 in Santa Fe and 17 in Parkland. The incidents launched a high-profile debate about how far to go with gun control, but they also ignited a new conversation about students’ emotional needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member