MI - 4 students killed, 6 injured, shooting at Oxford High School, 30 Nov 2021 *Arrest incl parents*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The negligence of the parents far, far outweighs any mistakes the school may have made. They were with him in the school that morning. They saw what he drew and wrote. They left without him. IMO

True, but the school has the power to INSIST he is suspended and NOT return until he receives therapy. The parents cannot just leave him there and claim no responsibility either. They could have called authorities at this point.
We need to know what happened in that meeting.

The school's concern was for Ethan's well being, in addition to the school's safety. If parent's refused to take him home, which it is stated was the case, how could they have expelled him? To where? With who? I do agree that best practices would be that he would have been placed in in-school suspension, or "safe school" as it was called at my last school. But the school's responsibility here pales in comparison to the parent's.

They should have expelled him.

School told parents he needed to get counseling ASAP. Parents failed to ask son where gun was. They didn't want to take their son with them when they left the school.

Later, Mom texted to son "Ethan, don't do it". Later, after shooting, father called 911, said he thought his son did it with his gun. Gun was stored unlocked in a drawer in parents bedroom.

His mom texted him not to do it and didn't think to call the school and alert them that he could be doing something like this??

I wondered about that, as the middle school I taught at did search student's backpacks. (Backpacks were actually not allowed in classrooms, but this was a high school.) But why didn't the parents look in his backpack? After seeing his drawing and words, why weren't they concerned? In that meeting and in general, the parents had the power and the responsibility.

I would be interested to know if there is some law or policy that backpacks cannot be searched.

Wondering if further investigation will result in charges against the school system …. Wow. Are schools not allowed to search students stuff at all these days? Even after a disturbing drawing like that?

Yes, there's always RED FLAGS, but it's important fellow students report to the school or to the police. But they must feel safe enough to do so. Schools and authorities need to listen.
Definitely. And also parents should not be buying guns for teens who are going through a rough time. And when said teen expresses violent thoughts about others, the parents WHO ARE THE ONLY ONES PRESENT WHO KNEW HE HAD A GUN, Didn’t ask about it. Or take their son Home until they could find a therapist. It’s beyond negligent.

At that point in time, they probably didn't have justification for that. Drawing pictures and writing scary words on paper may not be enough to justify expulsion. He made no direct threat to anyone at the school.

They had no idea he was carrying a gun in his backpack, however, his parents probably suspected he had it. They had just bought it for him.

I agree. This was a matter for police, way too serious to be handled by just the school officials.

The fact that school administration did not insist upon in searching his backpack is a school safety 101 mistake. They also should have refused to allow parents to leave him at school. Ban him from campus and trespass him if parents refused.

I hold the school district, the parents, and the shooter responsible for this horrific tragedy. Every adult involved except the teacher who immediately turned over the picture of the drawing failed to protect the students.

Wondering if further investigation will result in charges against the school system …. Wow. Are schools not allowed to search students stuff at all these days? Even after a disturbing drawing like that?

He should have been searched if he was indeed caught making death threats to other schoolmates.
At what point should a school involve the police regarding death threats?

I agree. This was a matter for police, way too serious to be handled by just the school officials.

The fact that school administration did not insist upon in searching his backpack is a school safety 101 mistake. They also should have refused to allow parents to leave him at school. Ban him from campus and trespass him if parents refused.

I hold the school district, the parents, and the shooter responsible for this horrific tragedy. Every adult involved except the teacher who immediately turned over the picture of the drawing failed to protect the students.

I wonder what laws govern this school district that would allow bag search?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth