MI - 4 students killed, 6 injured, shooting at Oxford High School, 30 Nov 2021 *Arrest incl parents*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Having a drawing with the words help me, a gun, someone shot and bleeding is an obvious cry for help and it’s not just grabbing a student to search them for no reason. The drawing itself is enough probable cause. By your reasoning no child would ever be put in detention or suffer any consequences if the parents don’t agree. I think the school has liability in their decision to put him back into the classroom

Apparently, the local prosecutor didn't have the evidence to show the school was culpable in the murders. They did, however, gather enough evidence to reveal the parents and their son were.

Definitely. And also parents should not be buying guns for teens who are going through a rough time. And when said teen expresses violent thoughts about others, the parents WHO ARE THE ONLY ONES PRESENT WHO KNEW HE HAD A GUN, Didn’t ask about it. Or take their son Home until they could find a therapist. It’s beyond negligent.

I fully agree with your statement. I do not think a teen should own a gun especially a troubled one.
But, I thought we weren't allowed to discuss gun control on this forum so I didn't mention it.

i support the prosecutor's decision to charge the parents. i suspect that means we can sleuth them which might help understand what the dynamics of the family are. it's been reported that neither of the parents nor the kid are talking with LE. i sorta hope they remain quiet through the whole process and i hope they all are behind bars for as long as possible. MOO.

There should be options besides send him home or back to class. There was a detention room for in school suspensions when I went to high school. He could have been supervised without being in a normal classroom.

when my son was in HS he made an off the cuff remark to his GF that he should kill himself. She reported it to the school counselor who called me and had me take him to the hospital for an immediate evaluation. Our local hospital has an office specifically to deal with issues like this. The office is not marked and you would never know it was there if no one told you where it was. He couldn’t return to school until he was determined to not be a threat.

I would not be surprised if the school is sued and loses.

Uh oh

Parents of Michigan shooter Ethan Crumbley, 15, go on the RUN after being charged with manslaughter for his school rampage that left four dead: Prosecutors reveal they bought the 9mm handgun for him for CHRISTMAS

Parents of Michigan school shooter Ethan Crumbley charged with manslaughter | Daily Mail Online
from your link:

The prosecutor revealed that James, who - like his wife - had a prior criminal history, bought the murder weapon from a retailer with his son there on November 26. He stored the 9mm handgun in an unlocked drawer in his bedroom, McDonald said.

So now their own butts are in a legal sling they basically completely bail on their minor child who clearly has some issues and is in custody for murder, by going on the lam?

There are no adequate words for these people that can be used here. :mad::eek:

I want to know more about their previous criminal records. I am betting all kinds of money that mom is a "I demand to speak to the manager" regularly sort.

According to online records in Duval County, Florida, James and Jennifer Crumbley were charged with DUI on Feb. 12, 2005, pleaded no contest and were fined $652 each.

James was also busted by the Atlantic Beach Police Department for driving with a suspended license and having an improper tag. He paid a fine of more than $200.

A few years earlier in 2003, Jennifer was accused of writing a worthless check for $150, but the misdemeanor case was later dismissed. She committed the same offense in 2004 and was fined $240, according to the records.
Ethan Crumbley's parents had their own run-ins with law in Florida

Has there been any concrete proof reported that he was bullied?
I mean this with the utmost respect, because I understand the point of your question. But hasn’t every kid been bullied?
We need to equip kids not to be victims and to manage their anger appropriately. Blaming “bullying” is insane to me because even brutal bullying is no excuse for shooting up a school.
Also, on a side note, I hope his parents pay civilly and criminally for giving him access to ammunition and guns. In some of these cases I empathize with parents, but I can’t find any reason for empathy here.

School staff are typically advocates for children. They would have been thinking about what was best for Ethan. They would have worried about him, not just seen him as a threat. That is what is hard to understand if a person has never worked in schools, with LE or other professions where you work with children.

They didn't want to just throw him out, remember, he didn't have a disciplinary record. Maybe the counselor or someone advocated for keeping him at school. I don't know how to explain how school staff have a "heart" for children. The public hears about a kid with "bad" behavior, and thinks, throw them out! Easy! But that's not how school staff think. I had students that moved, or were expelled, and I worried about them for a long time. Teachers typically don't want to get rid of kids and wash their hands of them. If he had a long history of behavior problems, it would have been easier.

As it turns out, it was a mistake to put this boy's well being above that of others. It's a balance and the school erred on the side of his well being, IMO.

He should not have been returned to the classroom. They failed to see the seriousness of his drawing and notes. They perhaps saw it as a isolated or first time offense, I don't know. At the least, if that classroom teacher didn't feel safe, he should not have been returned.

But the parents had the power and responsibility to stop all this in the first place.

For all, we know he was a well-behaved kid until recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rah1991