MI - 4 students killed, 6 injured, shooting at Oxford High School, 30 Nov 2021 *Arrest incl parents*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if the sheriff did know though, the idea of holding a press conference to announce charges before you know for a fact the suspects are in custody, just seems like a massive error.

I can't think of any good reason why you would do something like that.

Why rush?

I totally agree. Much more powerful to say the parents are in custody and they are charged with these crimes...

Two different and unrelated situations are being conflated.

The quote from the letter was referring to an incident of vandalisim earlier in November. It was not related to the shootings.

I have seen nothing that shows the school was aware of rumors about possible shootings.

IMO, if students had knowledge that there might be shootings, I do place some blame on them. Not in a legal way, but they should feel some guilt and resolve to do differently in the future.

The parents apparently knew their son was capable of such a horrific act. Knowing that, they bought him a gun anyway. They taught him to use it. They urged him to not get caught looking up ammo on his phone. They didn't lock up the gun. They didn't warn the school. They didn't search his backpack. They refused to take him home.

The students who stayed home should not be blamed. The school was aware of the rumors and had assured everyone that it was safe. They posted a letter:

"We are aware of the numerous rumors that have been circulating throughout our building this week. Student interpretations of social media posts and false information have exacerbated the overall concern. We want our parents and students to know there has been no threat to our building nor our students."

Some Students Stayed Home Ahead of Oxford School Shooting Due to Online Threats (newsweek.com)

Those that chose to stay home out of fear and lack of trust in the school should not be blamed in any way.

Is the school liable? They obviously knew there was a problem. I'm not sure if they knew EC was the source of the rumors. But they certainly should have suspected when they found his disturbing drawing.

MOO

So help me out please, didn't I read up thread that the parents actually left their residence on the night of the murders? And that the only contact was via Zoom to set the arraignment date/time. So in essence no one really knew where they were; DA, attorneys, Sheriff. Now that they didn't show, the emergency warrant ran bank records, etc. to find out the withdrawals, and pings before phones turned off? I'm not sure waiting until they were located would do much in terms of if the charges were announced or not. Thanks.

They were very clearly in a vehicle during arraignment (they were on Zoom).

The end result was that this young man (originally from Malaysia, but heading from Minnesota to upper NY state to futher his graduate studies in graphic design) was an amazing guest. He played video games with our sons and we had wonderful discussions. He ended up working at IBM, where my husband worked. We kept in contact for 1o years or so.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could get back to trusting people? Of course I won't now because I've read too many stories here on WS!!

Respectfully snipped for brevity

You would never have agreed to this had you seen the Criminal Minds episode Safe Haven. LOL

To begin with, I was kind of giving them some slack thinking of how shattering this must be. To have a relative, let alone son, being accused of this must be devastating but they shouldn’t really try to run.

They used to live in Washington right? Might they have fled there since they know the area? It's about 24 hours driving. Once they get through N. Dakota they could take back roads through Montana and into Washington.

Though I feel they are holed up somewhere much closer, and hopefully found and apprehended in the next day or two, if they don't surrender.

Respectfully snipped for brevity

You would never have agreed to this had you seen the Criminal Minds episode Safe Haven. LOL

I just looked up a description of the episode: "The BAU team is on the trail of a serial killer targeting families throughout the Midwest."

eeek! No doubt I wouldn't have agreed! :eek:

I wonder the last time they have had contact with anyone? The last time they were seen in the area? Trying to figure out how far they could have gotten in all directions since that time.

Do they have more guns? Could they be planning a murder suicide as a last resort? I hope not, I want to see their walk of shame, arraignment, trial and clink, clink, clink.

They probably have a burner phone now. They'll need to go into gas stations to pay with cash so they could have/can pick one up there.

Just still pondering this whole excruciating situation.

In my quarter century of teaching 13-14 year old children, anytime we had a student who threatened self-harm, the parents or guardians would become frantic, beseech us to help them, rush their child to get mental health, and when a psych evaluation was deemed necessary they would permit it.

I recall students who were removed from school by ambulance. That was the worst-case scenario because even as we would try to shield the child’s identity, it was obvious to the other students. Well, no, the worst-case scenario would be an actual suicide, and thankfully that never happened.

In other instances where the child was threatening others, either verbally or in the student’s notebook, (or on social
media once that was invented), the parents would occasionally become defensive. They would claim their child was joking or just being imaginative.

However, I don’t recall any instance in which the parents actively enabled violence and then either joked about it or were nonchalant. Definitely no parents or guardians that just took off and left the child alone in jail.

I’m still so shocked.

I hadn’t read JC called 911 stating his gun was missing.

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates/oxford-school-shooting-ethan-crumbley-parents-charged-involuntary-manslaughter/

…..The parents resisted the idea of making Ethan leave school and failed to inspect his backpack and ask him if he had the gun with him, the prosecutor claimed. Ethan eventually returned to class.

After news of the shooting broke, the prosecutor said Jennifer sent a message to Ethan at 1:22 pm, reading, "Ethan. Don't do it." Almost 15 minutes later, James called 911 and reported a gun missing from his house, telling first responders he believed his son was the active shooter at the high school, according to McDonald. …

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bwitzke