Found Deceased MI - Brendan Santo 18, visitor, Michigan State University campus, East Lansing, 29 Oct 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
East Lansing – Michigan State University is set to place a steel safety barrier along a half-mile stretch of the Red Cedar River after the drowning death of visiting 18-year-old student last fall.

The university installed temporary fencing along a portion of the river where it runs through the East Lansing campus after the body of Grand Valley State University student Brendan Santo was found in the river in January, nearly three months after he was last seen while visiting campus, the Lansing State Journal reported...

EAST LANSING, Mich. – Michigan State University is set to place a steel safety barrier along a half-mile stretch of the Red Cedar River after the drowning death of visiting 18-year-old student last fall.

The university installed temporary fencing along a portion of the river where it runs through the East Lansing campus after the body of Grand Valley State University student Brendan Santo was found in the river in January, nearly three months after he was last seen while visiting campus, the Lansing State Journal reported.

Family and friends of Santo, who was from the Detroit suburb of Rochester Hills, started a petition calling for barriers, lighting and warning signs. The section where the new barrier is being built has steep banks down to the river...

East Lansing – Michigan State University is set to place a steel safety barrier along a half-mile stretch of the Red Cedar River after the drowning death of visiting 18-year-old student last fall.

The university installed temporary fencing along a portion of the river where it runs through the East Lansing campus after the body of Grand Valley State University student Brendan Santo was found in the river in January, nearly three months after he was last seen while visiting campus, the Lansing State Journal reportft high, 1/2 mile long and has an estimated cost of nearly $650,000. So much for the so-called river view MSU campus is known for plus possible tuition will increase to pay for the fence.

The university installed temporary fencing along a portion of the river where it runs through the East Lansing campus after the body of Grand Valley State University student Brendan Santo was found in the river in January, nearly three months after he was last seen while visiting campus, the Lansing State Journal reported...
4ft high steel barrier stretching 1/2 mile and costs 650k? So much for the river view MSU campus is known for. Maybe a tuition increase to pay for it too. This also makes me think they still don't know where he fell in since a 4 foot high, 1/2 mile steel barricade needs to be installed...or are they just trying to make students feel extra, extra safe?

4ft high steel barrier stretching 1/2 mile and costs 650k? So much for the river view MSU campus is known for. Maybe a tuition increase to pay for it too. This also makes me think they still don't know where he fell in since a 4 foot high, 1/2 mile steel barricade needs to be installed...or are they just trying to make students feel extra, extra safe? ^^bbm
The section where the new barrier is being built has steep banks down to the river. 2,200 ft of steep banks is hardly a view to miss compared to the safety of students and visitors. I'm sure a call to MSU Infrastructure Planning and Facilities (IPF) can satisfy OP's funding concerns -- didn't take much for the Trustees to raise funds for this project.

IPF communications and learning manager Fred Woodhams said the temporary fencing is 2,200 linear feet and located behind the Kellogg Center spanning to Beal Street and the intersection with West Circle Drive.

“We’re constantly evaluating improvements to campus to further safety and security of the community and guests,” Woodhams said. “We’ve been having conversations about the particular space near the Red Cedar river that was mentioned in that petition.”

The installation of the temporary fencing began Jan. 26 and was completed Feb. 7.

Woodhams said designs are in the works for a permanent fencing solution that take into account the aesthetic character of that stretch of the river. Permanent fencing is expected to be completed during the summer.

“The banks along that part of the river are steep and so we wanted to ensure the safety of all of the campus community and any visitors to campus,” Woodhams said.

Since it was posted last month, the petition has received over 20,580 signatures.

Last edited:

Beginning July 5, and lasting through late August, temporary fencing on the sidewalk and traffic lanes along the Red Cedar river near the Kellogg Center, Michigan Avenue and Beal Street entrances will be replaced with permanent fencing.

After the body of a missing Grand Valley State University student, Brendan Santo, was found on Jan. 21 in the Red Cedar River, a Change.org petition, titled "Make MSU's Red Cedar River Areas Safe," gained traction and garnered over 22,000 signatures.

Beginning July 5, and lasting through late August, temporary fencing on the sidewalk and traffic lanes along the Red Cedar river near the Kellogg Center, Michigan Avenue and Beal Street entrances will be replaced with permanent fencing.

After the body of a missing Grand Valley State University student, Brendan Santo, was found on Jan. 21 in the Red Cedar River, a Change.org petition, titled "Make MSU's Red Cedar River Areas Safe," gained traction and garnered over 22,000 signatures.
There's already a lot of fence where there was sidewalk adjacent to the river except for around Brody. It's just as likely someone pushed him vs he fell in himself. There are no eyewitnesses or camera footage... supposedly.

Last edited:
I was a college student 1968-1972+.
SBM. As someone born in the 1990's, can I just say I am incredibly jealous you got to experience college at that time? I feel like it would've been a dream, a true dream. Really feel like I was born in the wrong time & place sometimes because I daydream about being in school or just living in general in the 60s. Please message me if you have stories from this time to tell about what life was like; I'd genuinely very much love to hear them.

Praying that Brendan will be found before the end of 2021.

Prayer-of-St.-Brendan-the-Navigator-Irish-Patron-of-Sailors.png

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bloocheez
Back