MI - Neurosurgeon Dr. Devon Hoover, 53, found fatally shot during welfare check, Detroit, Apr 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Detroit neurosurgeon shot twice in the head from behind, autopsy finds

Detroit Police are asking tipsters to pass along information anonymously at http://detroitrewards.tv, and to include the case number, 2304230294. Tips may also be phoned in to Crime Stoppers of Michigan at (800) SPEAK-UP (773-2587

Also from the link to DetroitNews you've kindly posted:

"The abrasions indicate that he was face-down with his left lower face against a firm surface for at least one of the gunshot wounds, and that his body was dragged in the prone position after his death."

"Fingernail clippings and samples for a ra** kit were obtained and retained," the report said.

Oh, I find myself sickened by the crushing pain this man endured at the hands of his killer. jmhoo

Is it normal to have a rape kit?

I'm pretty sure rectal, oral, and (with females) vaginal swabs are a routine part of any autopsy, even if foul play was not suspected.

Anecdote: One of those "Cold Case" programs was about an elderly woman who had some kind of delivery route, and was found dead not long after she didn't make her scheduled deliveries. The autopsy showed no evidence of rape (bruising, etc.) but it DID reveal motile sperm in her vagina, which was puzzling to her family and friends because she had been widowed for many years and was not known to be dating anyone, nor did his profile show up on any known database, and as of the air date, no man ever came forward to say he'd been with her shortly before her death. The most likely conclusion was that she was secretly dating a man who was married or otherwise partnered, and paid him a visit (or vice versa) shortly before she headed to work.

It's such a horrific thing to consider, isn't it?

It's doubtful the killer left DNA but the good doctor still could have been raped with an object. I suspect there was the presence of blood that prompted the test. This was a vicious attack that's difficult to learn that Devon knew his killer.

The police have not said how well they may have known one another. I'm not convinced this person arrived at his door and was shown hospitality by the owner. This crime seems well-planned. Who executes a man by shooting them up-close behind the ear? The MOB used to be known for doing that. Who shoots a man with contact to the back of the head? Either this person was furious about something, is a serial killer or maybe a hired hit.

There almost has to be some type of trickery involved. Do the Police know where Devon was located when he was shot? The ME explained that Devon's face was pressed against a "firm" surface when at least one shot was fired. Maybe it was the shot behind his ear and the killer was holding his face firmly pressed against an object; not necessarily a hard surface such as concrete though.

Only tragic thoughts of my own

It's such a horrific thing to consider, isn't it?

It's doubtful the killer left DNA but the good doctor still could have been raped with an object. I suspect there was the presence of blood that prompted the test. This was a vicious attack that's difficult to learn that Devon knew his killer.

The police have not said how well they may have known one another. I'm not convinced this person arrived at his door and was shown hospitality by the owner. This crime seems well-planned. Who executes a man by shooting them up-close behind the ear? The MOB used to be known for doing that. Who shoots a man with contact to the back of the head? Either this person was furious about something, is a serial killer or maybe a hired hit.

There almost has to be some type of trickery involved. Do the Police know where Devon was located when he was shot? The ME explained that Devon's face was pressed against a "firm" surface when at least one shot was fired. Maybe it was the shot behind his ear and the killer was holding his face firmly pressed against an object; not necessarily a hard surface such as concrete though.

Only tragic thoughts of my own
May have been blood in the room where he was shot -- if that's the case, LE knows where it happened. Reports said that LE knew quickly that something serious had happened, causing them to do a search all the way into the crawl space in the attic. So maybe they did see blood in a room. Since Dr. Hoover was essentially naked there could have been consensual or non-consensual sexual activity. JMO.

I believe he was shot in the back of the head which tells me he knew someone enough to trust that person who apparently stood behind him in order to shoot him in the back of the head. Don't think the killer was a stranger.
But could easily have been a hookup, someone he didn’t know before this. Know enough to trust? That’s a different matter.

But could easily have been a hookup, someone he didn’t know before this. Know enough to trust? That’s a different matter.
well I guess it could have been a hook up- someone he brought home, but trusted that person enough to turn his back away from that person. I would presume if there was a hookup with someone he brought to his home, there was a certain level of trust-- that the person would not harm him

Was the victim in a relationship at the time of the murder?

Was he online dating?

There must have been a blood trail to the crawl space if he was dragged as reported.

Interesting that he was found covered. He was hidden away to start with, why the need to cover him?

Was the victim in a relationship at the time of the murder?

Was he online dating?

There must have been a blood trail to the crawl space if he was dragged as reported.

Interesting that he was found covered. He was hidden away to start with, why the need to cover him?

We need a verified contact to help us with these questions. It seems his closest friends are being silent while investigators continue working.

The home is over 13,000 sq ft including a finished basement. It is in one of those basement windows where the breakin occurred after his death and before burial in IN. The broken window was quickly shown in a MSM video when the family arrived following Devon's funeral service.

From researching photos of the famous Benjamin Siegel mansion in which he lived, the "attic" is actually the 3rd floor that originally served as the servant's quarters for the original owner.

The 3rd floor has its own set of stairs leading down into the kitchen. The third floor has a ballroom that was converted from a portion of the original 3rd floor living space. The 3rd floor also has a door that exits onto a patio that has a speaker for piping music while, perhaps, star gazing. (Click on the last two links for more images.)

This is an odd set of circumstances since the Police are tight lipped. We don't officially know what make, model or color vehicle the good doctor drove that was located abandoned by the killer.

A Peek Into Detroit's Benjamin Siegel House

This case makes me feel so sad- This man was such a good and decent person in addition to being a good doctor (neurosurgeon). His death was brutal and torturous and I hope and pray the killer is found sooner than later. I hope the reward is increased as well.
I agree. This is a heartbreaking case. He was the kind of person who lived to improve others lives. RIP Dr. Hoover. You made a real difference in peoples lives. :(

I had an interesting browse through everyone who got locked up since the 27th. At least 3 or 4 could be likely suspects, but who knows? I eliminated the people who got picked up for shoplifting and embezzling, but all the rest? Could be any one of them, imo. Maybe it was an employee who embezzled from Dr. Hoover?

Hoping we hear some specifics soon.
How do we know that a family member could have done it. In most cases itz either the partner secutry or accountant's, that normally do that type of thing

Sounds very personal.
Someone angry about a surgery on themselves or a relative ?
An injustice collector upset over the amount they had to pay after insurance ?
Did he have a significant other ?
I'm assuming his house had security cameras.
Still no poi or suspect named/arrested, though.

Rest in peace, Devon.
To me it sounds like that it was either malpratrice for making mistake doing his job, or kne of his staff members

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Now, why would the news take a photo from July of 2022 in google maps and present it as if it's modern day history? This SS is what I see when following the google link you've kindly provided. I must've walked past it on maps a half dozen times when searching for a driveway or alleyway.

View attachment 420455

Journalistic bad habits!! When I saw this photo with the "old" items...it reminded me of the picture that they ALWAYS use in update articles of Lori Vallow--they always show the photo with the initial female lawyer she had when she was returned to idaho. Every time I saw that picture, I would cringe because it was just "old news".

I would think it very normal to have a rape kit, especially given the circumstances. Had there been an event prior to the murder, whether consensual or not, the evidence would be extremely valuable in determining what might have gone on, and as well who the perpetrator might have been. I also think that there is a lot we just don't know, as is the case with many mysterious situations such as this.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yoshimi
Back