GUILTY MI - Renisha McBride, 19, shot while trying to get help, Detroit, Nov 2013

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thank you AnaTeresa for that information.

So, since Wafer's counsel might have made wrong tactical choices, it's not enough to overturn his conviction on appeal. Good to know

Yeah I don't see how he can blame his legal council for this (unless they convinced him that changing his story would work, and any reasonable person would have realized it would NOT be a good idea!).

I also doubt if he can even afford to appeal unless he gets backing from gun owners or a gun rights organization. Seems to me he is NOT getting a lot of support from gun owners, in Zimmerman's case he received a tremendous amount of financial support from everyday folks that donated to his defense fund (including me).

Also folks keep harping about the castle doctrine and staying inside the house, there are in fact many reasons why a person may become alarmed and go outside and end up engaging a threat in self defense. His problem goes beyond just opening the door.

The court will appoint an attorney for his appeal. He doesn't need money to fight that, is my belief. His financial support will be the State of Michigan.

I'll not comment on GZ, don't want to derail this thread...for I have very strong opinions of that one..

what other "tactical decision" could they have made than to say that her actions caused him to react like he did?

im surprised people still dont understand the point of the defense saying it was because of what renisha had done earlier that night that caused her to be at his home and act the way he claims she did. it is literally the only defense they had. and even if someone disagrees with its validity, i dont understand how people can still claim to not understand it or say that it was a mistake for the defense to go that route.

there are cases where what the victim was doing prior to the incident is not relevant, this is not one of those cases. we are trying to understand the behavoir of a person who is extremely intoxicated, high, and has just hit her head in a car accident after which for over 3 1/2 hour she cannot be accounted for. suggesting that those factors should be considered when determining if she may have acted irrationally once she reached his house is not "trashing the victim", it is absolutely reasonable and necessary, the defense team would have been neglectful if they had not brought it up.

ultimately it was rejected by the jury that she acted the way he described, i think they were probably right. i believe she was banging at both doors, may have tried a window or banged on a window, could have even stepped on the AC unit... but i dont think she was banging so hard that the house was shaking and so hard that it made him feel like someone was coming thru the door any second. it did not sound believable to me.

so the more i think about this case the less i am surprised by the verdict, if you think he exaggerated or just lied about the level of noise/banging/fear, and you are troubled by the way his statements evolved and the testimony he gave regarding those issues, it isnt a big jump to say he is discredited altogether and find for 2nd degree.

The court will appoint an attorney for his appeal. He doesn't need money to fight that, is my belief. His financial support will be the State of Michigan.

I'll not comment on GZ, don't want to derail this thread...for I have very strong opinions of that one..

Yes, he will get an appointed attorney for any appeals of right. If the attorney doesn't feel there are any viable issues in the case, s/he will file an Anders brief, which basically states that there's no way for it to go forward. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anders_v._California).

That said, he is still able to hire private counsel to pursue an appeal on issues he feels should be addressed, or handle the matter himself.

so the more i think about this case the less i am surprised by the verdict, if you think he exaggerated or just lied about the level of noise/banging/fear, and you are troubled by the way his statements evolved and the testimony he gave regarding those issues, it isnt a big jump to say he is discredited altogether and find for 2nd degree.

The fact is his story changed, at first he "accidentally fired and didn't realize the weapon was loaded" and then later he "fired in self defense".

While I feel bad for the guy, while I realize he never set out to cause any harm, the fact is legally he messed up BIG TIME and that assured his conviction.

I absolutely do NOT think he should spend years in jail though, I don't think that is "fair or just" at all.

The tactical decision to change his testimony from accidental shooting to SD is where they went wrong, IMO. They should have stayed that course. When jurors hear the defense trashing the victim, they shut down. I know I do...

Wafer knew nothing about an accident, being drunk or smoking weed where Renisha is concerned. If a man who has his weapon in hand is that fearful of frantic knocking at his door, he should have not had a weapon. He had the upper hand.

I never will understand how someone with a weapon is fearful? It was Renisha who had to be fearful of his piss and vinegar, he was angry thinking the pesky teens with paintball guns was at it again.

Owning a weapon comes with great responsibility. He failed miserably..

Good lesson here is just because one can, doesn't mean they should..

The fact is his story changed, at first he "accidentally fired and didn't realize the weapon was loaded" and then later he "fired in self defense".

While I feel bad for the guy, while I realize he never set out to cause any harm, the fact is legally he messed up BIG TIME and that assured his conviction.

I absolutely do NOT think he should spend years in jail though, I don't think that is "fair or just" at all.

BBM

He rolled the dice and lost. This is the outcome of it. When you (general you) decide to take it to trial, you have to face the consequences.

Maybe he'll get a minimum to maximum and not spend the rest of his days in prison, until he dies. Maybe he could get out in a few years with good behavior. He would have to do 2/3 of his sentence to be eligible for parole, if that is what he gets sentenced to.

Renisha also had her whole life ahead of her. She had a good job and is a typical teen who parties on the weekend. I know I've done it. Had this man called for assistance by dialing 911, there is no doubt in my mind that Renisha would have been arrested for leaving the scene of an accident, DUI, public intox.., etc...at least she'd be alive...

Don't victim bash in here. I will TO you, quickly. Knock it off.

Salem

August 8, 2014 at 2:08 pm
Wafer closely watched in general population cell after guilty verdict
Oralandar Brand-Williams
The Detroit News

Detroit— Theodore Wafer, the 55-year-old Dearborn Heights homeowner convicted in the shooting death of 19-year-old Detroiter Renisha McBride, is being held in a general population cell at the Wayne County Jail but is being watched closely, officials said.

“Wafer is in a housing unit at Division III under very close observation. He is not in isolation,” said Dennis Niemiec, a spokesman for the Wayne County Sheriff’s Office which oversees the jail.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140808/METRO01/308080089#ixzz39pLA5pyy

The jury has returned a verdict of guilty of second degree murder/voluntary manslaughter and weapons charges in the trial of Detroit homeowner Theodore Wafer for the front porch shooting death of Renisha McBride in the early morning hours of November 2, 2013. Trial Judge Hathaway has ordered Wafer imprisoned immediately, pending sentencing.

UPDATE: Sentencing scheduled for Aug. 21 to Aug. 25 time frame.

Wafer’s legal defense against the charge was self-defense. The guilty verdict necessarily means that the jury unanimously agreed that the prosecution had disproved Wafer’s claim of self-defense beyond a reasonable doubt. The two strongest arguments counter to self-defense were:

“Accident” and “I didn’t know the gun was loaded”

(1) Wafer’s early and repeated references to the shooting as an “accident,” including his claims that he was unaware the shotgun was loaded, only to later claim the shooting was an act of “self-defense.”

“Accident” and “self-defense” are logically inconsistent arguments. “Self-defense” is an inherently intentionally act–I see a threat, I respond to the threat. “Accident” is by definition something we do not intend. When a defendant argues one, they generally lose the other–sometimes as a matter of law, often just in terms of the credibility of their narrative of innocence with the jury. The prosecution in this trial also requested and received a jury instruction on prior false exculpatory statements as consciousness of guilt evidence, and that certainly could not have helped the jury lean towards self-defense if they believed Wafer’s early claims of “accident” were an effort to escape legal jeopardy.

Unlocking and Opening the Steel Front Door

(2) Wafer’s decision to unlock and open the steel front door of his home. McBride never, in FACT, threatened entry–whatever she might have done to the screen door, there remained the steel door to get through. Had that steel door been substantively damaged or had there been any evidence to suggest an actual entry was imminent, I think Wafer would have been fine. Absent that, however, the jury likely expected him to hunker down and wait until entry was imminent before using deadly force–and certainly not to unlock and open that very steel door that was keeping the “intruders” outside.

more
http://legalinsurrection.com/2014/08/guilty-verdict-in-detroit-front-porch-murder-trial/

:confused: as to why it matters

I find it very interesting that we have not heard a word from any of Theodore Wafer's family throughout this whole trial !!
I believe he has older siblings in the Michigan / Detroit area. I know he inherited the house when one or both of his parents passed. So far I have seen no family support or comments. ODD , to say the least.
An ex-girlfriend from the mid 90's didn't have nice things to say about him , aside from stating that he repaid her for legal fees when he was accused of stalking her.
Maybe we will hear from co-workers or friends when it comes to pre-sentence reports. But up until now Mr. Wafer has left a very small footprint.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...e-wafer-the-man-who-shot-renisha-mcbride.html

Many sources specify she had recently gotten a temporary job at Ford (and the guy she talked to on the phone that night was ANOTHER temp worker). She was not a Ford employee.

Huh? Whether a temp worker or not, if GM signed her paycheck, she was employed by them..

Would you have a link to show that Renisha was a temporary worker?

Huh? Whether a temp worker or not, if GM signed her paycheck, she was employed by them..

Temporary workers are paid by the temp AGENCY (that typically takes 60% of the hourly rate). Contract workers are typically paid directly from the employer (with an actual contract).

I find it very interesting that we have not heard a word from any of Theodore Wafer's family throughout this whole trial !!
I believe he has older siblings in the Michigan / Detroit area. I know he inherited the house when one or both of his parents passed. So far I have seen no family support or comments. ODD , to say the least.
An ex-girlfriend from the mid 90's didn't have nice things to say about him , aside from stating that he repaid her for legal fees when he was accused of stalking her.
Maybe we will hear from co-workers or friends when it comes to pre-sentence reports. But up until now Mr. Wafer has left a very small footprint.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...e-wafer-the-man-who-shot-renisha-mcbride.html

The Wafer family will probably speak at his sentencing hearing. They will ask for leniency, is my belief

Temporary workers are paid by the temp AGENCY (that typically takes 60% of the hourly rate). Contract workers are typically paid directly from the employer (with an actual contract).

Yes, I know the difference and some temporary workers go on to be full time employees..sometimes this is a way to get one's foot inside the door..

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gamzie
Back