MI MI - Saginaw, BlkMale 15-20, UP9891, shotgun wound to face, mohawk, clothes, necklaces, Oct’88

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

MadMcGoo

Staff member
Reaction score
C07BFC6C-8C6C-41F4-BA47-0A13B5C224E8.jpeg 978CCB65-0E35-487C-A2AC-FF1BB6234DAE.jpeg 8439D6B0-9524-433F-A4ED-726191AA8A79.jpeg
NCMEC Number: 1184554
ME/C Case Number: 020448-88

Date Body Found: October 8, 1988
Location Found: Saginaw, Michigan
Sex: Male
Race / Ethnicity: Black / African American
Estimated Age Group: Adult - Pre 30
Estimated Age Range (Years): 15-20
Estimated PMI: Hours
Measured Height: 5' 7" (67 inches)
Measured Weight: 165 lbs
Hair Color: Black; Short-faded on sides and had a slight "saggital crest" mohawk
Facial Hair Description: Very light mustache
Eye Color: Brown
Scars/marks: He had some birthmarks located on his abdomen and several keloid scars on both knees and right shoulder.
Clothing: Green/yellow short sleeve T-Shirt, black jeans, white low cut Nike Air tennis shoes with blue and white laces, two gold chain necklaces.

Circumstances of Recovery: On October 8, 1988, Saginaw Police responded to the call of an unidentified body in the northeastern part of the city. When they arrived on scene, inside a house in the 400 block of Caroll, they found the body of a young African-American man who had died only hours prior from a shotgun wound to his face.

He is believed to have been 15 or 16 when he died. A thorough investigation by the SPD revealed that the young man was likely from the Detroit area. The Saginaw Police has now partnered with Othram, Inc. to use advanced DNA testing and forensic genealogy to establish an identification of, or to find nearest kin to the deceased.

Anyone with informationt is encouraged to contact the Saginaw Police Department at (989) 759-1235.

The Saginaw Police Department has provided a few more details to help explain why they think the young man might have ties to Detroit:

"Investigators have shared an update today that the young man may have attended either Martin Luther King High School or John Cooley High School in Detroit, MI prior to and/or during 1988. While Detroit is one possible city, other locations are not being ruled out at this time."

Source: Who is Saginaw John Doe (1988)?.

Please help spread the word. We are hoping to fully fund the case by next month so we can start DNA testing.

I wish either school had yearbooks on classmates.com for 1988. Cooley has 1985 and that’s as close as it gets. Not that I’m any good at matching recons to yearbook photos, but others are!

Aight, I have returned.
Sorry for taking this long. Life got in the way, as it sometimes does.
I tried to find matches that were fairly generic for a match.
NamUs lists 0 exclusions.

So, my suggestion for this John Doe is this young lad.
Nathaniel Reed
Original

He was 16 years old
Weighed: 140 lbs (aprox)
He was from: Detroit, Michigan
Height: 5'6''

Other things that makes me think it could be him:
Light moustache
His ears are very close to his head, like the sketch made of him.

He is listed as disappearing on the 9th november 1988.
I know this is after the date John Doe was found, but on occasion, people jumble up the dates of "reported missing" and "last seen". There is not much information available on his case, which makes it even harder to get an idea about if this is the case or not.

Links:
Nathaniel Reed
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Nathaniel Reed – The Charley Project

Second suggestion is this young lad here:

Original
myron_timell_traylor_2.jpg
traylor_myron4.jpg

This young man, Myron Timell Traylor
He disappeared at age 13 from Arizona in July 1988, so that is a distance away.
He was 5'5''-5'6'' tall
weighed a aprox 116 lbs at the time

Similar hairline, his hair could easily be cut on the sides for a mohawk look. He could have ran away. Who knows.
His ears is a striking feature though, and all the drawings appear to depict them in a somewhat unique fashion.

So the story surrounding this, the short version is:
Myron and his mother were walking to his grandmother's house. Myron and his mother separated as Myron stopped to get a drink at a fast food restaurant in the area of 16th Street and Southern in Phoenix, Arizona. Myron has not been seen since.

The long more detailed version can be found at charlie project.
Myron Timell Traylor – The Charley Project

I realize this is a .....stretch, but his ears stood out to me.

Links: 40DMAZ - Myron Timell Traylor
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Last edited:
considering the shared border between Michigan and Ontario, here are some Canadian missing black males I found; no pictures though :^( super frustrating
Ian Lewis - DLC June 25 '88, Toronto, was 20 y/o, 5'6", 119lbs, dark complexion. Told his brother he wanted to go to Jamaica. At the time, was wearing black pants, a white tshirt, white high-top shoes, a peaked hat (like a military/newsboy hat??). has a scar above his right eye.
John Edwards - DLC June 21 '86, Toronto, was 17, 6'0" (so taller than this UID but not out of the question), 154lbs. Was despondent at the time. Has scars on his right hand and left upper bicep (vs our UID w/ scar on right shoulder).

I'm curious as to why there are no exclusions
.. if @othram is working on it from a genealogical standpoint that means there is dna yes?

So michigan didn't try and exclude anyone at all before handing it off?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlanta_2_Philly
Back