GUILTY MI - Susie Zhao, 33, professional poker player, found fatally burned, Detroit, 13 Jul 2020 *arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Police: Slain poker player Susie Q met suspect at motel

White Lake Township — A transient sex offender charged in the slaying of an Oakland County pro poker player apparently met her at a motel the night before her badly burned body was found, police said Wednesday.

Jeffery Bernard Morris, 60, of Pontiac was formally charged Tuesday from a hospital bed in the death of Susie Zhao, 33, whose body was discovered July 13 near a trail head at the Pontiac Lake Recreation area.

At a news conference, police said they have yet to find a motive in Zhao's slaying...

I would like to watch the police news conference video if there is a link.

Clearly this investigation is not over for LE and possibly the FBI as their interest in a single random act of violence by a homeless ex-con drifter would be expected to be low in their priorities. After committing murder, a convicted rapist apparently checked into the hospital with an unspecified medical issue. Was the hospital the safest place for Morris, given that the police would be looking for him? Or was Morris brought into the hospital after he was found injured/incapacitated? Police are vague here citing privacy. Maybe police want to learn from other jurisdictions, or Morris's associates in Florida, exactly what Morris has been living on since his release from prison. The details are a bit odd. Was the 2008 Audi proceeds of retail fraud? Not the most low key mode of transport while homeless/begging for help from friends who felt sorry for him. Friends kicked him out after discovering Morris was violent. Hmmm, friends didn't know Morris well but let him live with them for free...hinkey meter up.

Second thing that bugs me: if premeditated, then why? If police have yet to find a motive while at the same time ruling out gambling and card-playing as the motive (how could gambling be ruled out, it is an addiction, right)? Even with no money (both Zhao and Morris appear to be on their last dime), money to book into the motel was available. The meeting was important enough to scrape together cash that neither apparently had. Note, Zhao's car was confiscated due to unspecified motor violations so she must have been desperate for cash. Moo.

SUSIE ZHAO | STERLING HILLS, MI, United States | WSOP.com

JMO
I don’t think poker played a part in her death. She moved back home because she couldn’t afford to live in LA. Then Covid hit.

This bugs me every time I see it. There is no such place as Sterling Hills, Michigan. There is Sterling Heights that is in Macomb County. I found an apartment complex in Sterling Heights that is called Sterling Hills Apartments. It's probably not a big deal, but I wonder why Susie lists her home as Sterling Hills, MI when there is no such place? Her parents' home in White Lake Township is Oakland County (where I am).

A couple of articles say she stayed at the motel regularly. Both articles refer to statements made by White Lake Township Police Lt. Hild.

Detroit News
Investigators have learned Zhao had stayed at the same motel on several occasions prior to last month. Her relationship — if any — with Morris remains under investigation, Hild said.

WPXI.com
The pair apparently crossed paths at the Sherwood Motel in Waterford Township, a couple of miles from the home of Zhao’s mother. The victim, described as a carefree spirit by friends, had returned home to Michigan from Los Angeles in June, about a month before her death, to live with her mother.

She was a familiar face at the motel, however.

“It appears that she stayed there quite frequently,” Hiln said.

So, she may not have stayed with him?

I think they stayed together. Sadly, that’s partly because a bed sheet with potential bloodstains was found in Morris’ possession, and IMO the sheet will be from the motel (MOO).

I’d be interested to know who paid for the room and whether she usually had people over when she stayed there.

The motel is two miles from her parent’s home — so walking distance, which makes sense since her car was impounded.

And of course the question as to why move in with your parent, then stay frequently in a local motel?

Here’s a totally different story from the motel owner, saying they didn’t check in together

“The motel owner said Zhao checked in on July 9, checked out July 11 and Morris checked into the same room July 12.

Zhao’s remains were found the next day. The motel owner said they never saw Zhao and Morris together.”

Police release details in murder of woman found burned in White Lake Township

One of the article that BetteDavisEyes posted had this:

Clarkston District Judge Kelley Kostin denied bond Friday due to the severity of the crimes and set a probable cause for Aug. 18.

Here’s a totally different story from the motel owner, saying they didn’t check in together

“The motel owner said Zhao checked in on July 9, checked out July 11 and Morris checked into the same room July 12.

Zhao’s remains were found the next day. The motel owner said they never saw Zhao and Morris together.”

Police release details in murder of woman found burned in White Lake Township

Could this have been a chance encounter when or if Susie returned to the motel thinking that she might have left something in the room? I'm not clear on whether or not the two were acquainted :confused:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abberline vs Edmund Reid
Back