Miley Cyrus - what the heck happened?

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So is this what it's really about? Not that she tried to do a striptease/lapdance/vulgar display, just that she's not good enough therefore nobody wants to see it. Is this why nobody bags on Lady Gaga then for what she does?

BTW, I agree that if you have talent, there is no need to go out of your way to make yourself seen.

I don't pretend to speak for the masses, only myself. She's talentless. That's the issue for me.

I'll agree with Linda7NJ on talentless.

I personally don't like Gaga either, but at least her performances are "performed", not looking like a 6 year old practicing to be a cheerleader some day.

I'm not a big fan of a lot of pop stars, but at least they all had something that made them that way. Very few was singing ability. Most were either good performers, or good song writers, or good music writers. Few have all the qualities.

This poor kid has none. It was awful. The sex gig was nothing new, it was just awful. Kicking a leg up like a 50 year old in aerobics class with it dangling there is not performing. (I can say that, that is how it looks when I kick my leg up. Not to be viewed by others, only at home.) Add in the old dude in black and white stripes with a sort of jail bait/pedophelia/rape song, and some druggy bears too, and it just got worse. So if you are high, you can have sex without consequences? Or you want sex even if you don't and should expect it because you are high? I still don't see any real message, or any art at all.

Nothing about it was good. Nothing. It was bad, bad, bad. Just means I criticize art when it is artless. I did not like it being forced into my daily routine. Had I paid to see a concert like this I would demand my money back.

I don't pretend to speak for the masses, only myself. She's talentless. That's the issue for me.

ITA,didn't read much of the thread but to me that's the issue,I honestly had no idea prior to this how talent-less this girl actually is,just look at the part of the performance when 2Chainz comes in with his dancers,they blew Miley away immediately,I felt sorry for her because they made her look even worse.
No,I have absolutely nothing against woman embracing their sexuality or being provocative,But Miley was none of that.I'm very worried about her being the next Lindsey Lohan or Amanda Bines,her behavior was like the unpopular girl at the party getting way too drunk and frantically trying to gain acceptance IMO

I've noticed that, several times, this lewd woman has been referred to as a "kid" and a "child". She's a raunchy woman, an adult. I'm curious why she is often put in the "child" category.

It seems to me that by describing her as a child, it's easier to suggest that whatever she does is not her decision, but rather the decision of adults around her. The *advertiser censored* stunt can only be her idea because she's the adult and she's old enough to make her own decisions.

I've noticed that, several times, this lewd woman has been referred to as a "kid" and a "child". She's a raunchy woman, an adult. I'm curious why she is often put in the "child" category.

It seems to me that by describing her as a child, it's easier to suggest that whatever she does is not her decision, but rather the decision of adults around her. The *advertiser censored* stunt can only be her idea because she's the adult and she's old enough to make her own decisions.

Good point.

I use it because the performance resembled that of a child having a tantrum, only with the sex act added.

It was the outcry of an angry young woman thinking she is making a statement, being cool. It was sad, and it is sad if no one she knows sees that and tries to help her.

Come to think of it,maybe there is a deeper meaning to that performance after all.Because hasn't the industry been the big pedobear that's been raping Miley all along?And doesn't she act just like a little girl that's been abused and will never have a healthy relationship with her own sexuality? I do feel really sad for her.

Come to think of it,maybe there is a deeper meaning to that performance after all.Because hasn't the industry been the big pedobear that's been raping Miley all along?And doesn't she act just like a little girl that's been abused and will never have a healthy relationship with her own sexuality? I do feel really sad for her.

This is the part I did get. But it did not make it a good performance.

I feel sorry for all child stars that are exploited, but it starts at home. The child cannot make that decision. That is why my earlier post about when will that hit her and how damaging will it be? We haven't seen it fair well for many, but there are a few that made it without the heavy partying. I think they were before the partying got glamorized, so now, even MC thinks that partying is glamorous. It must be difficult to have all that money, all the famous connections, but never have a self.

I think I've put my finger (sorry) on what is so disturbing about it, besides being an apparent homage to pedophila. I didn't see it - I don't have a working TV and if I did I wouldn't be a cable subscriber so wouldn't get MTV. I did see still pictures and it's clear a lot of work went into the staging and costuming (if not the performance which apparently was not good), so several people thought this is what people wanted to see. It shows what our culture has become. Put this together with things you hear in the news such as average IQ points down 10 points in the last 100 years, poor physical health of more than half of people, less than 40% of adults having a full time job, and you see where our culture is headed. I'd much rather be alive during the "classic" period of a culture rather than the "decandent" period. Alas, I was born in 1967 so I came on the scene just a few years after the peak. Fictional character Rhett Butler said there is more money to be made in tearing down a civilization than there is building one up. He implied but didn't say "...if you're willing to do unsavory things which I certainly am!"

What is her "it factor"? What makes her special? Her striking ability to make a complete fool of herself? A horrible role model for others her age? The fact that she somehow is given the spotlight despite the fact she has no talent at all?
She may be able to buy her own way into the spotlight for now because she does have some wealth, but I doubt she will be able to maintain it if she continues to perform the way she did the other night.

It factor:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-it-factor.htm

She definitely has something that draws people to her. Over 300 posts here on one performance she gave, everyone giving their opinion on her, etc. It's been like that since she was 14. Disney and Nick have tried to replicate her success with so many other girls, and it hasn't worked. How many other girls on those networks got record labels too...how many albums have they sold? How big were their concert tours? No comparison.

I don't understand the whole buying her way into the spotlight. She's sold millions of albums, had three hit movies, a hit TV show, was the face of a $1 billion brand, has had many Top 10 Hot 100 hits, etc. She was a phenomenon and is still very successful. People buy her stuff, and people are interested in what she does/say. American Idol is filled with talented people who flop after the show, because the public is just not interested in them or their music.

That's a great point, and respectfully made. I'd also add in the adult male public with the industry - there have been posts online for years now counting the days till she was "legal" (the same gross remarks and behavior went on around other female child stars too - Britney, the Olsen twins, etc).

Another fact everyone seems to ignore - Miley didn't just climb up out of the audience Kanye West style, to do her thing unscripted.

No, the performance was rehearsed, rehearsed, then rehearsed some more. There would have been a dress rehearsal too, which the VMA bosses obviously watched and gave the tick of approval.

I'm assuming a lot of these VMA bosses are old white guys who love the idea of a 21 year old grinding around in flesh tone latex.

Where's the condemnation for them? They are the ones who broadcasted the performance and probably paid handsomely for it.

:dunno:

I think that's exactly what the pedobear was about.

She's not a stupid girl, she knew exactly what she was doing.

She even warned everyone, thereby ensuring the highest viewing audience in years.

Who's taking advantage of who?

You go Miley.

:p

The title of this thread - Miley Cyrus...what happened? Here's what happened. She realized she's not that talented and has to become a circus act to get attention. Seriously, did you hear her sing? Has she written songs? Her dancing consisted of marching around and posing with lewd gestures. She's grown up and has a difficult time competing with real talent. GaGa is a performance artist, sure, but she can at least write and sing and has artistic vision that goes beyond just crude.

I do not think Miley intended for this reaction. Yes, she definitely wanted people to talk about the performance, but she became a laughing stock. This is a girl that desperately wants to be seen as sexy, but instead, people were ripping her body apart. Twitter trends and memes about her butt all over the Internet. Despite the confident, "I don't give a crap" image she likes to give out, I think she's very insecure.

The title of this thread - Miley Cyrus...what happened? Here's what happened. She realized she's not that talented and has to become a circus act to get attention. Seriously, did you hear her sing? Has she written songs? Her dancing consisted of marching around and posing with lewd gestures. She's grown up and has a difficult time competing with real talent. GaGa is a performance artist, sure, but she can at least write and sing and has artistic vision that goes beyond just crude.

So....did you turn the telly off, or torment yourself by watching the entire thing? :lol:

So....did you turn the telly off, or torment yourself by watching the entire thing? :lol:

I've watched it on YouTube a few times. I think it's hilarious. I wish I had been able to watch it live on TV. I think I might make it part of my morning routine, it will put me in a great mood.

Oh, you're brave for bringing up the cultural appropriation issue. Given the wider atmosphere lately, plus how contentious the thread already is, I wasn't gonna touch that with a ten foot foam finger! :lol:

I swear, any topic at all, eventually becomes a race issue with Americans.

How on earth did someone manage to write that twaddle re. Miley and MLK?

Huh?

:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads