Is the defense hoping for an ineffective counsel defense

• Yes

Votes: 59 16.1%
  • No

Votes: 209 56.9%
  • Maybe?

Votes: 99 27.0%

• Total voters
I can certainly see why you would think that, however I think it really is just sheer incompetence at work here. I am surprised at how seemingly ineffectual her defense is. I did think that maybe jose was maintaining a facade of being slightly clueless, and thought he might dazzle us all at trial, but no, he'a just clueless full stop.

The DT has put on a brilliant defense and is absolutely going to get ICA cleared of all charges...in "JBWorld".:crazy:

IF I didn't think Casey is guilty and deserves LWOP or the DS, I would be APPALLED that no image consultant worked with her for months. She could have been taught to be demure, to not shake her head. They could have held mock trials and watched her " tics" and coached her out of them. People do it every day for tons of money.
She could have had a flattering soft hair cut, feminine clothing, soft makeup. All the things that have been done for other Monster Mommies..
But no one did a thing for this <modsnip>. Is that ineffective counsel or did she insist on being raw and abrasive? I guess we will never know the truth because it would come from either Baez or ICA and we know, when their mouths are moving, they are lying.

In any case, she has a lead defense attorney which SHE chose, who is totally inept, and she LOOKS like she would kill anyone in the court room at a moment's notice.. Glowering and pouting and almost blowing steam out her ears.

A totally indefensible person in so many aspects, from cursory glance to the knowledge of the case facts.. Just OMG, what a destruction of a totally dysfunctional family unit, beginning with poor little Caylee's life of neglect and abuse at the hands of her mother. Casey no more wanted that child than my dogs want a pet cat!!!

Baez could care less about Casey and it shows in the shoddy defense, the zero grooming and coaching, and the dismissive way he's handled her, her family and the law itself over the years. His motivation is in making the most out of this high profile case and a desire to maximize the drama for ongoing profit once this is done. I think he's pretty over being a lawyer altogether and it kinda shows.

Poor representation for sure, but think that's because putting on a good defense is not what he's about. And Mason? Who knows....

Interesting question! Thanks for the thread.

I voted no in this poll because I really believe that the defense is trying its collective best. I don't think that KC can claim ineffective defense when she has four lawyers, two of which are death penalty lawyers. I think KC is the one running this bus into the ditch!

I voted no. I don't think they are trying to present an inadequate defense. But that doesn't mean it won't happen.

No...they just can't help it. They have an impossible case, the world's most unsympathetic client, and no feasible defense, not to mention less than stellar lawyering skills...so this is what is it.

Exactly! Baez is merely inexperienced and probably not too smart as well.

As for Casey's looks and demeanor in the courtroom, what else should we expect? Leopards don't change their spots.

This jury won't be judging her on her looks, her clothes or what her facial expressions are. Scott Peterson looked like a movie star and was always dressed like a Philadelphia lawyer. He sat there like a stone throughout his trial, with no expression whatsoever even while looking at his wife's autopsy photos. Yet the jury convicted him and he is sitting on death row.

I voted no. Nobody will convince me that this defense team would be smart enough to come up with such a smart idea.

I voted no. Nobody will convince me that this defense team would be smart enough to come up with such a smart idea.

How smart is it to be viewed ineffective council anyway? That is something to hang your hat on there. /s. They have to use what they can and hope for the best, but nevertheless - it is clear to me that JB is ineffective.

I totally agree with that! :rocker: <modsnip>... All the good lawyers left, I suppose when they found out about the income taxes...now that's a whammy there...:dunno::laughitup::laughitup:

I totally agree with that! :rocker: Dumb, dumber and dumbest... All the good lawyers left, I suppose when they found out about the income taxes...now that's a whammy there...:dunno::laughitup::laughitup:

Maybe the got a whiff of the psychological reports and ran.

I don't think the defense is purposely trying for ineffective counsel. We are seeing JBs inexperience and arrogance. JB pushes that envelope. After seeing JMP continually reminding and scolding JB, I've come to the conclusion JB just doesn't have a clue and that he's well over his head in this case. So, no, I think ICA has what she has. I JMP would ask ICA at every opportune time if she is satisfied with her defense, just so she could not file an appeal for ineffective counsel. I have not heard him ask her this in quite a while.

I think JB was quite smitten with the victim as he perceived her. She has a hold over men in many instances, albeit many have turned around. Not that I say anything went beyond the line, except for him getting admonished by hugging her too much in the jail.

I think JB was quite smitten with the victim as he perceived her. She has a hold over men in many instances, albeit many have turned around. Not that I say anything went beyond the line, except for him getting admonished by hugging her too much in the jail.
If that's the case then he must finally be over her 'cause he's doing his best to get her killed now!

I am sorry, but it is really hard to defend 31 days. Casey carried on a huge charade and her lies and lies built on top of lies are really something that not even the best lawyer could overcome. When Cindy gave her testimony re: each of those 31 days, that pretty much sealed her fate. Casey is and isn't just another child killer. She is in the respect that she shows no remorse. She isn't for the fact she was able to carry this on for SO LONG because her parents were in such deep denial and didn't want to believe their child killed her baby.
I don't know what we expect from JB. I think he is doing the best with what he has. Which is jack squat.
What I would like to know, is instead of picking JB apart (which I have done along with many others) is give some sort of intelligent, constructive ideas on what he could/should do. I mean, what the heck CAN HE DO other than blame someone else and throw spaghetti at the wall?
I mean, it is SO OBVIOUS that ICA is guilty. What is he supposed to do? He is a defense lawyer. If she has admitted her child drowned, he has to do something to try to get her off of Murder 1.
Let's come up with some real tangible means for him to defend her. Because right now, all I am reading is that he is inept, he is out of his league, he is this, he is that. While I agree with all of that, I don't really think there is much he can do with a client like Miss Casey.

If that's the case then he must finally be over her 'cause he's doing his best to get her killed now!

I wouldn't go that far. I think he is just ill prepared and inexperienced to defend a true psychopath. The defense is mind boggling, because on one hand it is trying to deal with the penalty phase and we aren't there yet, and on the other hand it appears convoluted to the point of bad fiction. Anyway, he has to use the tools and information vs. the evidence given to him. This defense is also peculiar because it seems to cover up other crimes, and an accident is far different than intentional. He would have been better off if she had given him something like "she" had an accident, but that is not the cards he was dealt. ICA seems incapable of taking any responsibility for anything. Goodness, even the defense of handing your daughter to someone that sexually abused you falls flat in any normal person's mind. All in all, ICA's creative mind writing ability is much better when she can do it one on one with folks than when it is up in front of many people being handled by someone other than herself. She was so good at lying, a professional, but nobody buys the lies when told through a third party.

No. JB's enormous ego would never allow him to use ineffective council as a defense, IMO.

He signed on for the fame and fortune he thought would come his way. He is in WAY over his head and I think there's a good possibility that this case could have to be re-tried because of ineffective council. But not because he's doing it on purpose.

And just for fun and because it can't be watched enough, catch HHJP's reaction to JB's ineptness here at @ 8:55. My very favorite moment in the proceedings to date. :floorlaugh:

ETA link:

http://www.wftv.com/video/28048674/index.html

No. JB's enormous ego would never allow him to use ineffective council as a defense, IMO.

He signed on for the fame and fortune he thought would come his way. He is in WAY over his head and I think there's a good possibility that this case could have to be re-tried because of ineffective council. But not because he's doing it on purpose.

And just for fun and because it can't be watched enough, catch HHJP's reaction to JB's ineptness here at @ 8:55. My very favorite moment in the proceedings to date. :floorlaugh:

ETA link:

http://www.wftv.com/video/28048674/index.html

Thanks for the link, and I just watched that again. Incredulous comes to mind.

It is possible. But, acting this dumb in such a public case, and making so many mistakes, would ruin his career. More so than a guilty verdict. So I don't think his stupidity is on purpose, I just think he's a really bad lawyer.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela
Back