Is the defense hoping for an ineffective counsel defense

• Yes

Votes: 59 16.1%
  • No

Votes: 209 56.9%
  • Maybe?

Votes: 99 27.0%

• Total voters
Here is Bill Sheaffer's take on today's events.
http://www.wftv.com/video/28101084/index.html
He says that less than 1% of convictions are overturned, and less than 1% for competence of counsel issues.

I was wondering if JB is secretly making a video for sale - Best Bloopers from the Courtroom- $19.95 plus shipping and handling.

I can only throw out a guess but from what I've seen of Baez after following this case for 3 years, he isn't doing his type of defense to get a mistrial. Imo he is truly inept at this kind of defense but he loves the lime light.
He puffs up like a peacock when he's questioning a witness. Heck he does that at sidebars. :D

He has had fools like Geraldo,48hrs and JVM stroking his ego on their shows, so he was under the misapprehension that his opinion counted for anything...

Just 2 things
1. Beaz does his little smiles when he questions the witness. Like he's one up on them or he just showed them. You know what I mean? Like he will ask a question, get the answer he wants then he does this look to the witness like ha ha I got you. He's very much immature or he is just used to doing DUI cases.

2. Why are they making Casey look like Elvira? That long hair etc... I would think a softer look would work better. The long hair thing makes her appear to be like the long island loleta. Like as if Casey is going to prove a point and grow her hair a mile long.... I mean cut it off already. (that's what the defense should tell her)
(I just have this vision of her brushing her long beautiful hair in jail at night, stroking it thinking how she can wreck more lives)

Keep in mind that no attorney wants an ineffective assistance of counsel relief on their record. Yes very few are granted.

So far DT is doing their job. Judge P is helping JB along. CM cannot interfere as JB is lead, he could try, but I would bet in the past he has and JB does not listen. There has to be a major legal mistake to get one granted, not just a bad personality and ridiculous defense. Just because an attorney is not an excellent attorney, or even close, does not constitute ineffective assistance of counsel. JB is just a bad attorney. He and KC share a lot of personality traits oddly enough, and his show while trying to "practice his craft."

Not to worry though, if KC goes to jail or gets the DP, she will be filing as soon as she can, usually after the Appeal to Court of Appeals, and the follow up to the Supreme Court. I am sure there are more icky attorneys waiting in the wings for that time just so their name can be attached to the case. Will it be granted? I see no reason so far. There are just as many rules, caselaw, etc... that apply to being able to have this granted, so, I am not worried. I think the other 6 (or ever how many there are) attorneys currently involved, and any that have passed through on the flame to fame and gone should worry about it more, as all would have to be bothered with it when the time comes.

Keep in mind that no attorney wants an ineffective assistance of counsel relief on their record. Yes very few are granted.

So far DT is doing their job. Judge P is helping JB along. CM cannot interfere as JB is lead, he could try, but I would bet in the past he has and JB does not listen. There has to be a major legal mistake to get one granted, not just a bad personality and ridiculous defense. Just because an attorney is not an excellent attorney, or even close, does not constitute ineffective assistance of counsel. JB is just a bad attorney. He and KC share a lot of personality traits oddly enough, and his show while trying to "practice his craft."

Not to worry though, if KC goes to jail or gets the DP, she will be filing as soon as she can, usually after the Appeal to Court of Appeals, and the follow up to the Supreme Court. I am sure there are more icky attorneys waiting in the wings for that time just so their name can be attached to the case. Will it be granted? I see no reason so far. There are just as many rules, caselaw, etc... that apply to being able to have this granted, so, I am not worried. I think the other 6 (or ever how many there are) attorneys currently involved, and any that have passed through on the flame to fame and gone should worry about it more, as all would have to be bothered with it when the time comes.

BUT cm does step up with jb...there are times that when HHJP has ruled cm will pip in with what his opinion is...he did that yesterday over this issue--while walking to podium to join jb ---- I refered to it as a "walking objection"....I do wish HHJP would call him on it...

BUT cm does step up with jb...there are times that when HHJP has ruled cm will pip in with what his opinion is...he did that yesterday over this issue--while walking to podium to join jb ---- I refered to it as a "walking objection"....I do wish HHJP would call him on it...

Yes Cm pipes in from time to time, he is also doing his job. They have to have the objections on record, and CM tries to clarify what JB just cannot get out straight.

Whether or not they are deliberately going for ineffective counsel, I don't know but if they are, I hope it is proven and they are all disbarred. I am thinking KC will file an appeal using ineffective counsel as grounds, and I will not be surprised if she wins. I also would not be surprised to see KC file *other* claims of inappropriate conduct against JB.

I think CM now wishes he had gotten out while he could. Now it's too late; all he can do is sit there and try not to let his true feelings show.

Might this case be the one that raises the bar in Florida? Meaning, will trial lawyers in Florida soon have to meet certain criteria before they can be lead counsel in a DP case? Right now it seems that if one has passed the bar they are good to go in any type of case including DP. For all attorneys, there is always a first time...their first DP case or their first major trial, I get that. Just seems there should be some higher standards required to protect not only the defendant who is innocent until proven guilty, but crime victims and taxpayers, and the integrity of our justice system.

:dunno: Long time lurker for a few years, first time posting. Especially after what I was able to catch yesterday, I ALMOST wonder if the DT wants JUSTICE FOR CAYLEE as much as we and the rest of the world do. I don't think the state would just drop this case in case of a mistrial and somehow I feel that appeals will not be granted or will be denied under any circumstance.

JB seems to be shooting himself in the foot and presenting ICA in the worst possible light. I don't believe I have ever seen a DT drop the ball as badly in any other case.

Maybe the DT has a conscience after all? :angel:

JB is BORING me to tears.. Sorry, I just had to say that. He doesn't make sense. I have no idea what he's getting at when he's questioning the detective (sorry, can't remember his name). It's like he's grasping for something, and he's failing terribly in my opinion.

I think we had it wrong all along. DT doesn't stand for Defense Team, but for Death Team.

I don't think JB would ever go that route. That would mean he would be throwing himself under the bus for KC. He wants to be the next big defense atty, and doing that would only hurt him. So I don't think so IMO.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQzYNoLANrg
And Justice for all Trailer
Just for kicks put it in your browser and watch. Big difference from the DF we are watching. Al P portrays a DF lawyer who knows just what justice is,

It does seem Jose Baez has realized he is defeated. Wait til CA gets on the stand...what a nightmare that will be.

Wow. I got a time out last week for giving my humourous opinion, and got smacked for it; I am not quite sure what I can say and what I can't.

Nah, he is just naturally inept. Like when he was crossing Yuri on the stand yesterday. And the jury just sat through a series of powerful videos showing the depths of Casey's deceit.
And then Baez goes up to Yuri, and with his smirk, he says " Don't you look at the jury when you testify because you have been trained as a professional " [ or something close to that wording]

YM: No, I look at them because they are the ones who are in charge of judging the evidence.

Baez : curtly answers " but you only look at them during the direct examination, not during the cross..."

YM: NO, I am looking at them right now....

Baez : [ wah wah]...but that's only because I said something about it...

WHAT KIND OF A CROSS EXAMINATION IS THAT AFTER THE POWERFUL ATTACK ON HIS CLIENTS CREDIBILITY HE JUST SUFFERED? He sounded like my kids when they were in elementary school and we were on a long car ride.

Nah, he is just naturally inept. Like when he was crossing Yuri on the stand yesterday. And the jury just sat through a series of powerful videos showing the depths of Casey's deceit.
And then Baez goes up to Yuri, and with his smirk, he says " Don't you look at the jury when you testify because you have been trained as a professional " [ or something close to that wording]

YM: No, I look at them because they are the ones who are in charge of judging the evidence.

Baez : curtly answers " but you only look at them during the direct examination, not during the cross..."

YM: NO, I am looking at them right now....

Baez : [ wah wah]...but that's only because I said something about it...

WHAT KIND OF A CROSS EXAMINATION IS THAT AFTER THE POWERFUL ATTACK ON HIS CLIENTS CREDIBILITY HE JUST SUFFERED? He sounded like my kids when they were in elementary school and we were on a long car ride.

That commentary was not intended to be a cross, that was intended to be a power play by JB.
Quintessential poor sportery-Sitting on the sidelines hating on Johnny Quarterback cause he's athletic, popular and dates all the cheerleaders. So to make themselves feel better about riding the Bench From Hell, they pick on YM over at that table and by the time he gets up, JB can no longer hold his tongue.
It's not JB trying to lose a case, it is chest-beating (all-be-it through a dapper suit).
JB felt he had to take YM/Johnny Quarterback down a notch-That's his tactic with quite of few of these darn upstanding and pious witnesses...That has nothing to do with the defense disputing evidence, on cross, that goes against JB's theory.
They'd better start disputing something, and they'd better think long and hard about what they are going to present as actual admissible evidence-other than putting a proven liar on the stand.

How smart is it to be viewed ineffective council anyway? That is something to hang your hat on there. /s. They have to use what they can and hope for the best, but nevertheless - it is clear to me that JB is ineffective.

He certainly is Broderick. I don't think he is planning on being a lawyer when this is over. His sights are set much higher. I predict it won't happen. And I also predict that if he did remain a lawyer, his door mat would grown mold from no action other than him tripping on it.

I selected "Maybe?" because while I do not think JB is trying intentionally to be grossly ignorant of law and related processes, I think it's quite possible that CM has told ICA that she has a very good shot at a mistrial due to ineffective council based on that ignorance. I guess I'm saying that CM is not ignorant to JB's ignorance.

:dunno: Long time lurker for a few years, first time posting. Especially after what I was able to catch yesterday, I ALMOST wonder if the DT wants JUSTICE FOR CAYLEE as much as we and the rest of the world do. I don't think the state would just drop this case in case of a mistrial and somehow I feel that appeals will not be granted or will be denied under any circumstance.

JB seems to be shooting himself in the foot and presenting ICA in the worst possible light. I don't believe I have ever seen a DT drop the ball as badly in any other case.

Maybe the DT has a conscience after all? :angel:

:welcome: Happy you decided to join and finally post with us. I look forward to your post :seeya: Im a little confused about whether the DT is trying there best or they are hoping to get a mistrial. Either way im hoping your right and appeals are all denied.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela
Back