GUILTY MN - Daunte Wright, 20, fatally shot by police during traffic stop, Brooklyn Center, Apr 2021 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
i think some of the argument will be the "collateral" damage to the elderly couple. Had they not pulled Wright over that would probably not have happened.

Also the poor girlfriend! …I mean not only did she see Daunte die…she rode in a runaway car that crashed hurting more people..had to tell Daunte’s mom on phone he had been shot …LE ordered her out of the car and CUFFED her & put her in their police car.

Talk about PTSD….smh

MOO

agree the "girlfriend" has damage too. The victim impact statements on both sides will be moving but from what I saw of Chu today she is going with the letter of the law and doubt moving up or down on sentence guidelines is doubtful. Of course there will be an appeal. Gray just kept shaking his head and seemed really unhinged...I guess when it took so long and the jury question really gave him hope for hung jury...I think most of us thought that was a real possibility. Little did anyone including him now it was just agreeing on Man1 that was the problem.

Insane . She is smiling???
Wonder if the judge Chu will see this ?!
I did not
Big smile for just being convicted on two counts of manslaughter...
As she listens to the jury being polled she is taking off her necklace? Getting ready? I guess she knows the drill. Wow she is one strange lady. Gray pleading for her release...devout Catholic needs to attend Christmas Mass. She can watch on TV.

the booking photo is vastly different from the video of her reaction as the verdicts were read. I tend to agree with others who speculated she knew the verdict was coming and it was as suspected and with that comes a sense of relief.

I feel sorry for all involved, Daunte, who will never have an opportunity to change the path he appeared to have been on, KP, as her life is changed forever, Daunte's loved ones who lost all the potential of who he could have become.

Just a sad sad situation. I feel ok with the verdict tho. As I mentioned at the beginning of trial, I do think KP is extremely remorseful. I don't think she set out to end a life that day. But she did.

Last edited:
I almost think she is relieved. I also think she is very medicated and slightly out of touch with reality. In some way I think she saw this coming.

I agree. her attorneys appeared a bit more shocked than her, I think she knew this was a very possible outcome and Magen had accepted that. She immediately started removing things like her earrings, as they’d be taken off anyway, before her attorneys even tried to bring up bond / release conditions until sentencing. And as far as the smile in the mugshot goes, for all we know the person taking her photo made a joke about how if she ever imagined “being on this side of the camera” or something. I try not to form too many opinions based off photos like this alone because without knowing more context I find it hard to conclude anything remotely accurate I don’t think her smiling in these photos means she is happy or anything like that, but it is a bit odd as I’m sure she knew these images would be shared and seen publicly all over.

I agree. her attorneys appeared a bit more shocked than her, I think she knew this was a very possible outcome and Magen had accepted that. She immediately started removing things like her earrings, as they’d be taken off anyway, before her attorneys even tried to bring up bond / release conditions until sentencing. And as far as the smile in the mugshot goes, for all we know the person taking her photo made a joke about how if she ever imagined “being on this side of the camera” or something. I try not to form too many opinions based off photos like this alone because without knowing more context I find it hard to conclude anything remotely accurate I don’t think her smiling in these photos means she is happy or anything like that, but it is a bit odd as I’m sure she knew these images would be shared and seen publicly all over.

Photos show Kim Potter's reaction to guilty verdict in Daunte Wright trial

Yes, her attorney looks more shocked.

"As the verdict was read, she stood silently," CNN's Adrienne Broaddus said. "She did not cry, from what I saw from our vantage point, when the first count was read, the first-degree manslaughter. She looked down. When a guilty verdict was read on the second count, she closed her eyes."

But Potter's legal team appeared to have an emotional response to the guilty verdict, with photos showing one of her attorneys, Earl Gray, burying his head in his hands after the jury was excused.

cb030b37fe879379e91e8498dfd4acdf

As for her smiling photo, she is too experienced to accidentally smile for a photo millions will see. She made sure to look serious in her original mugshot and coolly calmly took off her jewlery.

I think she is smiling deliberately to show how discusted, angry and devastated with the verdict she really is.

Last edited:

"As the verdict was read, she stood silently," CNN's Adrienne Broaddus said. "She did not cry, from what I saw from our vantage point, when the first count was read, the first-degree manslaughter. She looked down. When a guilty verdict was read on the second count, she closed her eyes."

But Potter's legal team appeared to have an emotional response to the guilty verdict, with photos showing one of her attorneys, Earl Gray, burying his head in his hands after the jury was excused.

As for her smiling photo, she is too experienced to accidentally smile for a photo millions will see. She made sure to look serious in her original mugshot and coolly calmly took off her jewlery.

I think she is smiling deliberately to show how discusted, angry and devastated with the verdict she really is.
People keep saying how sorry she is for what happened but I feel like she is sorry for how her life has fallen apart more than anything else.

Legal experts say Kim Potter's testimony backfired, allowing prosecutors to make her look negligent and secure a guilty verdict

Dr. Ziv Cohen, clinical assistant professor of psychiatry at Weill Cornell Medical College, told Insider it was strategic for Potter's defense team to call her to the stand last before resting its case.

'This case is not about whether the defendant is sorry'

According to Cohen, Potter's testimony was successful in making her look remorseful, but the prosecution gained ground when Eldridge hammered Potter with questions about what she did after the shooting.

Eldridge probed Potter about the moments after the shooting and asked her why she didn't try to save Wright's life or notify any other officers over the radio about the shooting, causing Potter to break down into tears.

Cohen said this portion of Potter's testimony put her defense in a "tough position" because it "supports this argument of culpable negligence."

"It's clever on the part of the prosecution that they have both of these charges so that if the jury feels uncomfortable convicting her of recklessness, they may still come back with a guilty verdict on the lesser charge of culpable negligence," Cohen said.

Ayesha Bell Hardaway, an associate professor of law at Case Western Reserve University, said the prosecution landed points with the jury because it showed Potter "made a host of different errors on that particular day," supporting the culpable negligence charge.

That included showing evidence that Potter didn't test her Taser as required on the morning of the day she shot Wright.

"The one thing the prosecution did a good job in is is differentiating for the jury that even though she genuinely thinks that this was a mistake, even though she genuinely acknowledged that and is actually quite remorseful, that is still culpable. That's still criminal," Barhoma said.

Maybe her true personality finally surfaced …not the yellow sweater sporting flowered blouse whilst faux crying.
I’m never surprised as to what visual package the defense floats out. I think Grey had old school tactics that may have worked many years ago. His speaking voice & bravado toward judge Chu was beyond exhausting…and that dramatic throw down on the desk…come on.

MOO

People keep saying how sorry she is for what happened but I feel like she is sorry for how her life has fallen apart more than anything else.
Agree...her initial reaction was not maybe trying CPR or for her fellow officers...she is rolling on the ground saying she is going to prison. That really told me something.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rah1991
Back