GUILTY MN - Daunte Wright, 20, fatally shot by police during traffic stop, Brooklyn Center, Apr 2021 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Agree...her initial reaction was not maybe trying CPR or for her fellow officers...she is rolling on the ground saying she is going to prison. That really told me something.

Prosecutor Erin Eldridge probed Potter about the moments after the shooting and asked her why she didn't try to save Wright's life or notify any other officers over the radio about the shooting, causing Potter to break down into tears.

Youre right. Killed unjustly would have been more appropriate. In any case justice prevailed and 12 people agreed with me. Deo Gratis.

RSBM

No one was murdered in this case and that was not the charge filed against the defendant. But, I agree... justice for all those unjustly murdered and all those wrongly convicted.

jmo

What a mess. And, hopefully a message - to departments to tighten up on training and discipline, and to actually try to save the lives of the people they shoot.

He was standing quietly while the male officer fumbled with the cuffs. He took off running when she inserted herself into the situation, touching him. It was a mess from the get-go...started over rookie training, and then this officer's sloppiness made it all go to pot.

With all that, I hope that she is safe in prison, and I hope she gets a chance to do good again in her life.

She was in hyper training mode IMO.
I picked up on that as they ran Daunte’s name sitting in the patrol car. That stupid remark about the Wright brothers and she “didn’t mean the flying ones”.
Btw, officer Luckey was being kind,calm and keeping it real with Daunte. I liked Luckeys style. We need more like him.
Was KP showing off ? Did she want to score an arrest that day with her trainee?
Hindsight, she brought all the chaos.

MOO

She was in hyper training mode IMO.
I picked up on that as they ran Daunte’s name sitting in the patrol car. That stupid remark about the Wright brothers and she “didn’t mean the flying ones”.
Btw, officer Luckey was being kind,calm and keeping it real with Daunte. I liked Luckeys style. We need more like him.
Was KP showing off ? Did she want to score an arrest that day with her trainee?
Hindsight, she brought all the chaos.

MOO

Exactly what I thought, that she was overreacting having a trainee with her.

Agree...her initial reaction was not maybe trying CPR or for her fellow officers...she is rolling on the ground saying she is going to prison. That really told me something.
Yes! She immediately knew she had shot him with her gun instead of her taser but she did not immediately know the extent of his injuries--especially since the car took off. One would expect a cop of 26 years to immediately rush to the scene of the crash to check on the person she had just shot and render aid to him and the other crash victims---not start rolling on the ground and babbling about going to prison.

I try to emphasize patients when thinking of how I or someone else should react. When I was in media covering local LE, they had a standoff with a guy who shot and killed himself and one of the officers that I knew to be a pro screamed “call 911”. That was odd but he later told me that he didn’t understand the comment either. When things happen in an instant like that it really is hard to start with the “well I would have....”.

Outing myself with a very unpopular opinion. I am not in agreement with this verdict, not saying that I matter in this context, but i have to speak up. I usually remain quiet as i do not like to cause tension and ruffle feathers. But, we are on a dangerous path... LE will feel less and less comfortable intervening and rightly so. What does that mean for our communities? I work with LE often when they bring pts to us in the ER to assess. They do so much good, which is hardly ever talked about and appreciated. But one grave mistake, but still a mistake, is punished to this extent? We all make mistakes as it is human. And the likelihood of making mistakes and making more substantial mistakes increases with stress. She was in a very stressful situation, especially having a new recruit with her. This shouldn't have happened, but it did. I am certain that she didn't get up that morning planning to use her gun instead of her taser. Maybe there is more to this that i am not aware of. I hope so in a way, because i can't wrap my head around this decision.

And BTW, i would feel identical about this case/outcome if the LE officer was African-American and the victim Caucasian.

Sorry, guys, i know this will upset some. Not my intention, but i had to vent my feelings tonight. Forgive me.

Outing myself with a very unpopular opinion. I am not in agreement with this verdict, not saying that I matter in this context, but i have to speak up. I usually remain quiet as i do not like to cause tension and ruffle feathers. But, we are on a dangerous path... LE will feel less and less comfortable intervening and rightly so. What does that mean for our communities? I work with LE often when they bring pts to us in the ER to assess. They do so much good, which is hardly ever talked about and appreciated. But one grave mistake, but still a mistake, is punished to this extent? We all make mistakes as it is human. And the likelihood of making mistakes and making more substantial mistakes increases with stress. She was in a very stressful situation, especially having a new recruit with her. This shouldn't have happened, but it did. I am certain that she didn't get up that morning planning to use her gun instead of her taser. Maybe there is more to this that i am not aware of. I hope so in a way, because i can't wrap my head around this decision.

And BTW, i would feel identical about this case/outcome if the LE officer was African-American and the victim Caucasian.

Sorry, guys, i know this will upset some. Not my intention, but i had to vent my feelings tonight. Forgive me.
I totally agree with you and see no need to be forgiven for your opinion.

Wouldn't surprised to see this particular verdict overturned on appeal in 1-2 years. The prosecution was spinning completely new legal theories of recklessness on close that simply do not comport with longstanding Minnesotan case law and the jury instructions (wrongly IMHO) didn't include anything about recklessness on the 2nd degree manslaughter charge when the Noor trial from 2 years ago included a lot more guidance:

The Noor instructions:

[The State must prove] the defendant...caused the death...by culpable negligence, whereby the defendant...created an unreasonable risk and consciously took a chance of causing death or great bodily harm....

"Culpable negligence" is intentional conduct that the defendant...may not have intended to be harmful, but that an ordinary and reasonably prudent person would recognize as involving a strong probability of injury to others. Culpable negligence...is gross negligence coupled with an element of recklessness.

"Recklessness" is a conscious disregard of a substantial and unjustifiable risk of death or great bodily harm to others. This means the defendant...consciously committed an act: 1) that created a risk; 2) the risk was substantial; 3) there was no adequate reason for taking the risk; 4) the defendant...was aware of the risk; and 5) the defendant...disregarded it. The defendant...need not have intended, however, to cause harm.

The jury instructions here left out the entire recklessness section and the 5-step analysis:

Second, the Defendant caused the death of Daunte Wright by culpable negligence, whereby the Defendant created an unreasonable risk and consciously took a chance of causing death or great bodily harm.

“Culpable negligence” is intentional conduct that the Defendant may not have intended to be harmful but that an ordinary and reasonably prudent person would recognize as involving a strong probability of injury to others.

It is not necessary for the State to prove any intent on the part of the Defendant to kill anyone...."

So in contrast, rather than having to prove conscious action and awareness of a risk (as required by longstanding Minnesotan case law), the jury instruction reads just as requiring any kind of act that a reasonable person could believe might cause injury.

I thought she may have gotten bail. I wonder how heavy sentencing will be ? 20-25 ??

No, 15 years is the cap, the sentences cannot be stacked consecutively. The prosecution is going for aggravated sentencing, but likely won't ask for more than 10 years, and there are also mitigating circumstances applicable which the defense is sure to bring up.

Look here (p.45 onwards) for a list of potential aggravating en mitigating circumstances:

https://mn.gov/msgc-stat/documents/2016 Guidelines/2016 MN Sentencing Guidelines and Commentary.pdf

Depending on how the judge rules on the aggravating en mitigating circumstances the final sentence will be in a range of 5-10 years, but all in all I don't expect the sentence to deviate much from the presumptive sentence of 7 years. For comparison, Mohamed Noor got 12,5 years for third degree murder in the shooting of Justine Diamond.

So in contrast, rather than having to prove conscious action and awareness of a risk (as required by longstanding Minnesotan case law), the jury instruction reads just as requiring any kind of act that a reasonable person could believe might cause injury.

It still said "consciously took a chance of causing death or great bodily harm." Which to me does say she had to be conscious of the risk. But she clearly was not conscious of it, she had no idea she had a gun in her hand. They could argue that a taser alone created that kind of risk, because she fired into a potentially moving car, then it should be guilty, but they didn't spend a lot of time talking about that.

Good to see you on this thread!
Interesting behavior of KP when verdict read.
No tears. Taking her jewelry off.
She got it right on the body cam. She knew straight away she was going to do some time. Her lawyer was horrible. I think the idiot-use of force- road they went down was so obvious and CRUEL with all the victim blaming.
Juries do not like that IMO.

MOO

Kim Potter has been a police officer for 26 years. She trained new recruits. When you carry a taser and a gun your police organization should stress that you practice both functions with same amount of focus or muscle memory takes over during stress.

I would hazard a guess that most officers train with a gun about 80 percent of the time. The taser is an afterthought. So pulling a kid over for having an air freshener on his rearview mirror who ultimately had an outstanding warrant makes me wonder why neutralizing a individual is paramount to subduing them, especially if they are not posing a threat to you or the public.

Many people feel for this officer because they think she is being made an example of. In reality she is the wake up call to all the cops who have skated on killing people. American cops are primed to kill more than any other police force in the world. And we all know why.

No, 15 years is the cap, the sentences cannot be stacked consecutively. The prosecution is going for aggravated sentencing, but likely won't ask for more than 10 years, and there are also mitigating circumstances applicable which the defense is sure to bring up.

Look here (p.45 onwards) for a list of potential aggravating en mitigating circumstances:

https://mn.gov/msgc-stat/documents/2016 Guidelines/2016 MN Sentencing Guidelines and Commentary.pdf

Depending on how the judge rules on the aggravating en mitigating circumstances the final sentence will be in a range of 5-10 years, but all in all I don't expect the sentence to deviate much from the presumptive sentence of 7 years. For comparison, Mohamed Noor got 12,5 years for third degree murder in the shooting of Justine Diamond.
Just FYI.

The former Minneapolis police officer who fatally shot a woman while responding to her 911 call in 2017 was resentenced Thursday to 4 years and 9 months in prison after Minnesota's highest court threw out his third-degree murder conviction last month.

Mohamed Noor was originally sentenced to 12.5 years in prison for shooting and killing Justine Ruszczyk in July 2017. Last month, the Minnesota Supreme Court vacated Noor's third-degree murder conviction, ruling there was insufficient evidence to sustain the conviction and ordering Noor be sentenced on his conviction for second-degree manslaughter, a lesser charge.

Minnesota court vacates ex-cop Mohamed Noor's 3rd-degree murder conviction
The new sentence is at the top of the range of state sentencing guidelines, which provide for a punishment of 41 to 57 months for someone with no prior criminal record. Noor's attorney had asked the court to impose a sentence of 41 months, while prosecutors sought the maximum sentence for the remaining second-degree manslaughter conviction.

Noor will receive credit for the 908 days he's already served, the judge said Thursday. According to Minnesota law, he is required to serve two-thirds of his sentence before he will be eligible for supervised release.

Mohamed Noor, ex-cop who fatally shot woman, resentenced to 4 years and 9 months in prison - CNN

EXPLAINER: What will judge weigh in sentencing Kim Potter?

WHAT SENTENCE IS POSSIBLE?

Under Minnesota statutes, Potter, who is white, will be sentenced only on the most serious charge of first-degree manslaughter. That’s because both of the charges against her stem from one act, with one victim.

The max for that charge is 15 years. But state sentencing guidelines call for much less. For someone with no criminal history, like Potter, the guidelines range from just more than six years to about 8 1/2 years, with the presumptive sentence being slightly over seven years.

Prosecutors have said they'd seek a sentence above the guideline range, while the defense said they would seek no prison time. In order for Judge Regina Chu to issue a sentence that's outside the guideline range, she would first have to find either mitigating or aggravating factors. Both sides are expected to file written arguments.

POSSIBLE AGGRAVATING FACTORS

Prosecutors say aggravating factors in Potter's case include that she caused a greater-than-normal danger to the safety of other people when she fired into the car, including danger to her fellow officers, to Wright’s passenger and to the couple whose car was struck by Wright’s after the shooting. They also alleged she abused her authority as a police officer.

POSSIBLE MITIGATING FACTORS

Defense attorney Paul Engh said the defense would be seeking a “dispositional departure” from sentencing guidelines.

Under state statutes, a mitigated dispositional departure occurs when guidelines recommend a prison sentence, but a judge allows the sentence to be “stayed" — meaning the defendant doesn't go to prison. Instead, the defendant is put on probation, home monitoring, or possibly sent to the local jail, said Marsh Halberg, a Minneapolis attorney who is not connected to the case. A defendant would be sent to prison to if conditions set by the court are violated.

Thank you all for these thoughtful insights...I always say I have the smartest folks on WS ! Not to sound stupid but with service revolver and taser now on belts there should be alot of training going forward on ID'ing by touch what you are grabbing.......this is sad all the way around

I have been going on about this in a couple of posts upthread.. about where did the reckless use of a firearm suddenly come into the prosecution's closing arguments, and then I realized it came straight from the judge's instructions to the jury. It seems KP was convicted of 'first degree' manslaughter because she had committed a misdemeanor, that of reckless use of a firearm? But yet.. when was it proven during trial that KP was guilty of reckless use of a firearm? I feel like I'm missing a big chunk of information, or something. imo.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rah1991
Back