GUILTY MN - Eli Hart, 6, found deceased in mother’s trunk, Mound, 20 May 2022 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Can not really tell IF jury selection continues, but it does NOT say Voir Dire for today 2/2 - so can we ASSUME the jury has been selected?

Events & Orders of the Court
02/01/2023 Voir Dire (1:30 PM) (Judicial Officer Quam, Jay)
Result: Held On the Record

02/01/2023 Order Sealing Document Index # 86 (Judicial Officer: Quam, Jay )

02/01/2023 Juror Supplemental Questionnaire(s) Form 50 Index # 87

02/01/2023 Hearing Held In-Person

02/01/2023 Bail to stand as previously ordered

02/02/2023 Jury Trial (9:00 AM) (Judicial Officer Quam, Jay)

link:
https://pa.courts.state.mn.us/CaseDetail.aspx?CaseID=1629909564

Thursday, February 2nd:
*Trial continues with Jury Selection (?) (Day 4) (@ 1:30pm CT) - MN - Eli Hart 46) (Found deceased in mother's trunk, May 20, 2022, Mound) - *Julissa Angelica Genrich Thaler (28) “mother” arrested (5/21/22) & charged (5/23/22) with 2nd degree intentional murder (not premeditated) & firearm use or possession. Re-charged (1/13/23) with 1st degree premeditated murder (after turning down a peal deal for 2nd degree murder with intent/not premeditated). Bond is $2M, with conditions & no contact with witnesses. Bond reduction denied (10/7/22).
Trial began on 1/30/23 with jury selection. As of 1/31/23 7 jurors are seated. Judge Quam wants 12 jurors & 2 or 3 alternates.
Case & additional info from 5/23/22 thru 1/25/23 & Trial Day/Jury Selection Day 1-2 (1/30 to 1/31/23) reference post #98 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...unk-mound-mn-20-may-2022-arrest.624357/page-5

2/1/23 Wednesday, Trial/Jury Selection Day 3: Voir Dire. Order sealing document (#86). Juror supplemental questionnaire(s) Form 50 (#87). Bail to stand as previously ordered.
Jury trial continues on 2/2/23. Judge Quam has said he would like 14 or 15 jurors before opening statements, 12 who will ultimately deliberate & then either 2 or 3 alternates Judge Quam has said depending on how quickly the process goes, opening statements could begin as early as Friday. But more likely, on Monday, 2/6/23.

Feb. 1, 2023
[Minneapolis, MN) — Seven jurors have been selected for the trial of Julissa Thaler, who is accused of killing her six-year-old son. Thaler is facing life in prison. Jury selection resumes today, with opening statements tentatively set to start as soon as Friday.

I believe that is a False headline - jurors seated - but as far as I can tell - only 7 have been chosen & can find nothing for what happened yesterday, just selection resumes.
Anyone come up with an article on yesterday, 2/1 jury selection?

TIA!]

"While the majority of jurors have been seated, the prosecution and defense teams still must get to 12 — and two or three alternates.

At this pace, officials believe opening statements could start Friday, but if jury selection slows down, that timeline could be pushed back to Monday."

I am going to "assume" that jury selection is still going on. I have not found any articles on what happened yesterday - but I shall check later in the day & correct my notes IF jury trial has actually started today.

Friday, February 3rd:
*Trial continues with Jury Selection (?) (Day 5) (@ 9am CT) - MN - Eli Hart 46) (Found deceased in mother's trunk, May 20, 2022, Mound) - *Julissa Angelica Genrich Thaler (28) “mother” arrested (5/21/22) & charged (5/23/22) with 2nd degree intentional murder (not premeditated) & firearm use or possession. Re-charged (1/13/23) with 1st degree premeditated murder (after turning down a peal deal for 2nd degree murder with intent/not premeditated). Bond is $2M, with conditions & no contact with witnesses. Bond reduction denied (10/7/22).
Trial began on 1/30/23 with jury selection. As of 1/31/23 7 jurors are seated. Judge Quam wants 12 jurors & 2 or 3 alternates.
Case & additional info from 5/23/22 thru 1/25/23 & Trial Day/Jury Selection Day 1-3 (1/30 to 2/1/23) reference post #102 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...unk-mound-mn-20-may-2022-arrest.624357/page-5

2/2/23 Thursday, Trial/Jury Selection Day 4: No info available.
Jury trial continues on 2/3/23. Judge Quam has said he would like 14 or 15 jurors before opening statements, 12 who will ultimately deliberate & then either 2 or 3 alternates. Judge Quam has said depending on how quickly the process goes, opening statements could begin as early as Friday. But more likely, on Monday, 2/6/23.

Last edited:

In opening arguments, the state described 6-year-old Eli as "a friendly talkative outgoing kindergartener. He loved playing with cars and going fishing with his dad." But Assistant Hennepin County Attorney Britta Rapp told jurors that Eli's own mother cut his life short, and promised to provide evidence that will tie her to the killing.

Rapp said the prosecution will share surveillance video from the night before Eli's body was found, showing Thaler leaving her apartment with her son and loading a long object wrapped in a blanket into the trunk. Rapp told the panel police found Eli's body the next day wrapped in that same blanket, next to a shotgun with blood on it.

Prosecutors will also introduce evidence Thaler spent over a month shopping for that shotgun, allegedly telling a salesman who sold her ammo she wanted the type that would "blow the biggest hole in something. " Rapp also said jurors will hear about internet searches Thaler conducted on life insurance policies for her son, including one that read "How much does life insurance pay for a dead child?"

The most disturbing search, KARE 11's Lou Raguse Tweeted, was "How much blood can a 6-year-old lose?" Rapp told the jury this is evidence of premeditation that proves first-degree murder.

I can not access the articles you all posted - so went hunting for one that I could! :)

Feb. 3, 2023
MINNEAPOLIS (FOX 9) - Testimony in the first-degree murder trial of Julissa Thaler, the mother accused of killing her son, 6-year-old Eli Hart, began Friday, with Eli's father taking the stand.

Tory Hart, 28, testified saying Eli was popular with other kids, everyone loved him, and he was well known at Shirley Hills Primary School in Mound, where he went to school before he was killed.

I shall go ahead & post all the tweets.

Lou Raguse
@LouRaguse
I'm in the courtroom for opening statements in the 1st Degree Murder trial for Julissa Thaler for the death of her son Eli Hart.
Follow this thread for updates.

I will hold back on some of what I think are unnecessary details. This was absolutely gut wrenching.

For the state, prosecutor Britta Rapp gave the opening statement, beginning: "Eli Hart was only 6 years old. He was a friendly talkative outgoing kindergartener. He loved playing with cars and going fishing with his dad."

"But in May of 2022, Eli Hart’s life was tragically cut short by his own mother, this defendant. Julissa Thaler."

Rapp previewed a lot of the evidence the jury will see. They have Thaler on surveillance video leaving her apartment on May 19 at 11:27, the night before Eli's body was found.
The video shows Eli get into the car and Thaler loading a long object wrapped in a blanket in the trunk.

When police found Eli's body the next day, he was wrapped in that gray blanket next to a shotgun with blood on it.

Prosecutors have evidence Thaler spent a month shopping for a shotgun. They'll call the salesman who sold her ammo. He asked what type she was looking for, and her answer: She wanted the ammunition that would "blow the biggest hole in something."

The jury will see internet searches on Thaler's devices that include:
-months researching and applying for multiple life insurance policies for her son.
-"Can you take out multiple life insurance policies on someone"
-"How much does life insurance pay for a dead child?"

Then, the most disturbing internet search, "How much blood can a 6-year-old lose?"

This is the evidence of premeditation that prosecutors say proves 1st Degree Murder.

Again, holding back on the worst details, I will share that investigators found Eli's booster seat in a dumpster with a huge hole blown into it where a child's head would rest.

Then, the part that gutted me the most, they found Eli's backpack in a dumpster, streaked in blood, with his homework still inside.

All the DNA testing came back matching Eli.

Gas station surveillance video shows Thaler washing her hands in a pot hole puddle.

Eye witnesses saw her there discarding things.

Eli's blood was in Thaler's hair.

When it was defense attorney Rebecca Noothed's turn for opening statement, she began, "Julissa Thaler is not guilty of murdering her son. "

Noothed did not provide an alternate explanation for what happened to Eli. But she said the evidence will not prove intent or premeditation.

She said there is evidence Thaler was planning a life together with Eli (trips to Disney and Lutsen)

Thaler was concerned for their safety and bought two guns for protection, and life insurance for Eli and herself, Noothed said.

"There are no witnesses who heard her talk about killing, no witnesses who saw her pull the trigger – because she didn’t. evidence won’t show premeditation or intent," Noothed said.

Following opening statements, Eli's father took the stand. He is the state's "spark of life witness.

He looked devastated and spoke very quietly. He said that in March 2022 he filed a petition to get full custody of Eli, and Julissa opposed that and wanted full custody herself.

"He was everything to me. He completed my life. He just loved spending time with me and I loved spending time with him," Tory Hart testified.

link:

I can not access the articles you all posted - so went hunting for one that I could! :)

Feb. 3, 2023
MINNEAPOLIS (FOX 9) - Testimony in the first-degree murder trial of Julissa Thaler, the mother accused of killing her son, 6-year-old Eli Hart, began Friday, with Eli's father taking the stand.

Tory Hart, 28, testified saying Eli was popular with other kids, everyone loved him, and he was well known at Shirley Hills Primary School in Mound, where he went to school before he was killed.
SBM

Tory Hart explained Eli had health issues — he was born with a genetic disorder and had a few surgeries the first few months of life. He wore hearing aids, and a few minimal deformities, but was otherwise a normal kid, he said.

IMO
I didn't know that and makes me more sad. Glad he liked Shirley Hills too because I did too when I went there.

FYI she was arrested in Mound. Mound does not have LE and use Orono LE (minnetonka beach, spring park, mound and Orono - adjacent towns on lake minnetonka)

Last edited:
Could not follow his tweets - I hope I got them all....

Lou Raguse
@LouRaguse
Lots of reflection during the lunch break.

Defense attorneys by nature of their job have an obligation to provide a defense for their client.

This might be the case where I envy their job the least.

A very candid witness on the stand, Kathleen Thyr, who witnessed Thaler at a gas station early in the morning disposing of things from her car. Thyr saw the window smashed out and was suspicious of what Thaler was doing, throwing things into the woods and dumpster.

Thyr stopped to see if Thaler needed help, then Thaler "...turned around and looked right at me like your mom used to give you like you're in trouble, a scowl or upset or uptight 'mind your own business' look."

"That made us extremely nervous and scared to the bejesus. We thought, we’re going to skadattle and go work out," Thyr said.

She later saw Thaler again when she was stopped by police.

Defense attorney Leary points out Thaler wasn't trying to hide her identity.

Despite being one of the toughest ever cases to listen to, it is being handled in Judge Jay Quam's courtroom. He's the most empathetic judge in Hennepin Co., plus he creates an environment easy for reporters to cover the cases.

The first-chair defense attorney is Bryan Leary, who is very experienced, reputable, and in my personal opinion highly skilled.

As a testament to how at-ease Quam makes jurors feel -- I never see so many jurors raise their hands and ask the judge questions at the end of the day as in his courtroom.

An exhausting day of testimony is over in the Julissa Thaler trial. This image may stick with me forever. Little 6-year-old Eli Hart's backpack was thrown in the trash, his homework still inside. His dad testified that Eli loved going to school. Loved being social. Senseless.

Thaler.jpg

link:

Docket update:

Events & Orders of the Court:
02/03/2023 Jury Trial (9:00 AM) (Judicial Officer Quam, Jay)
Result: Held On the Record

02/03/2023 Hearing Held In-Person

02/03/2023 Bail to stand as previously ordered

02/06/2023 Jury Trial (9:00 AM) (Judicial Officer Quam, Jay)

link: https://pa.courts.state.mn.us/CaseDetail.aspx?CaseID=1629909564

Monday, February 6th:
*Trial continues (Day 2) (@ 9am CT) - MN - Eli Hart 46) (Found deceased in mother's trunk, May 20, 2022, Mound) - *Julissa Angelica Genrich Thaler (28/now 29-Her birthday today 2/6/23) “mother” arrested (5/21/22) & charged (5/23/22) with 2nd degree intentional murder (not premeditated) & firearm use or possession. Re-charged (1/13/23) with 1st degree premeditated murder (after turning down a peal deal for 2nd degree murder with intent/not premeditated). Bond is $2M, with conditions & no contact with witnesses. Bond reduction denied (10/7/22).
Trial began on 1/30/23 with jury selection & ended 2/2/23.
Trial began on 2/3/23. 12 jurors are seated. No info on alternates (2 or 3)

Case & additional info from 5/23/22 thru 1/25/23 & Trial Day/Jury Selection Day 1-3 (1/30 to 2/1/23) reference post #102 here:

2/2/23 Thursday, Trial/Jury Selection Day 4: Jury trial continues on 2/3/23. Judge Quam has said he would like 14 or 15 jurors before opening statements, 12 who will ultimately deliberate & then either 2 or 3 alternates Jury has been selected. Judge Quam said opening statements could begin as early as Friday, 2/3/23.
2/3/23 Friday, Trial Day 1: Opening Statements by Assistant Hennepin County Attorney Britta Rapp & defense attorney Rebecca Noothed.
State witnesses: Tory Hart, Eli’s father. Kathleen Thyr, who witnessed Thaler at a gas station early in the morning disposing of things from her car.
For more info see posts #111, 115 & 116 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-trunk-mound-20-may-2022-arrest.624357/page-6
State witnesses: Orono police officer Trent Wiebusch. Alma Vasquez, who works at the Shell gas station in Mound.
For more info see posts #116 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-trunk-mound-20-may-2022-arrest.624357/page-6
Trial continues on Monday, 2/6/23.

Kare 11 will have a report at 6 pm cst

IMO
Actual name is Lake Minnetonka Regional Park (aka Three Rivers Park District) and is in Minnetrista. The city has its own LE and is part of the Westonka School District (Shirley Hills is 1 of 2 elementary schools) and is in Hennepin County (Minneapolis is included in county)

The Shell gas station is at the edge of Mound and Minnetrista and is considered 3 points area. It is 4.5 miles to the park.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZogNCat
Back