GUILTY MN - George Floyd, 46, died, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #18 - Chauvin Closing & Deliberations #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADMIN NOTE:

Please stay on topic by discussing the trial without introducing the peripheral matters of riots and protests, BLM, all the extraneous chatter about racial inequities and other social justice issues.

We acknowledge, we understand how critical this trial is in relation to those issues, but we need to stay focused on this case and the trial itself. Yes there is overlap with those important issues, but the thread is specifically dedicated to discussing the George Floyd case and the Derek Chauvin trial and not all those other matters.

If members wish to generally speculate on how such issues may have influenced either the victim or the accused, that's fine, but please don't bring in specifics related to all those other matters and derail the thread with social justice issues that will not be resolved in this discussion.

Thanks !!

ADMIN NOTE:

Members have been previously advised not to trash the witnesses. They are not there for our enjoyment or entertainment and there is no need to publicly disparage them or belittle them.

Keep it classy folks !!

Thank you.

What do people think about the closings? I think both are going to be pretty short and sweet...especially Nelson. I think it highly possible the jury will have the case by lunch time. Unless of course Mr. Nelson comes in with some issues with the jury over the weekend. All things being equal I guess the last two jurors selected will be let go? Or are they held somewhere in case someone gets sick etc. I think they will be let go...again risky.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/court_rules/cr/id/26/#26.02

Subd. 9.Alternate Jurors.
The court may impanel alternate jurors. An alternate juror who does not replace a principal juror must be discharged when the jury retires to consider its verdict. If a juror becomes unable to serve, an alternate juror must replace that juror. Alternate jurors replace jurors in the order the alternates were drawn. No additional peremptory challenges are allowed for alternate jurors. If a juror becomes unable or disqualified to perform a juror's duties after the jury has retired to consider its verdict, a mistrial must be declared unless the parties agree under Rule 26.01, subd. 1(4) that the jury consist of a lesser number than that selected for the trial.

(Amended effective September 1, 2011.)

Subd. 20.Jury Deliberations and Verdict.
(1) Materials Allowed in Jury Room. The court must permit received exhibits or copies, except depositions and audio or video material, into the jury room. The court may permit a copy of jury instructions into the jury room.

(2) Requests to Review Evidence. The court may allow the jury to review specific evidence.

(a) If the jury requests review of specific evidence during deliberations, the court may permit review of that evidence after notice to the parties and an opportunity to be heard.

(b) Any jury review of depositions, or audio or video material, must occur in open court. The court must instruct the jury to suspend deliberations during the review.

(c) The prosecutor, defense counsel, and the defendant must be present for the proceedings described in paragraphs (a) and (b), but the defendant may personally waive the right to be present.

(d) The court need not submit evidence beyond what the jury requested but may submit additional evidence on the same issue to avoid giving undue prominence to the requested evidence.

(3) Additional Instructions. If the jury asks for additional instruction on the law during deliberation, the court must give notice to the parties. The court's response must be given in the courtroom.

(a) The court may give additional instructions.

(b) The court may reread portions of the original instructions.

(c) The court may tell the jury that the request deals with matters not in evidence or not related to the law of the case.

(d) The court may tell the jury that the request is a factual matter that the jury, not the judge, must determine.

(e) The court need not give instructions beyond the jury's request, but may do so to avoid giving undue prominence to the requested instructions.

(f) The court may give additional instructions without a jury request during deliberations. The court must give notice to the parties of its intent to give additional instructions.

(4) Deadlocked Jury. The jury may be discharged without a verdict if the court finds there is no reasonable probability of agreement.

(5) Polling the Jury.

(a) When a verdict is returned, or the jury answered special interrogatories related to an aggravated sentence, and before the jury is discharged, either party may request that the jury be polled. The court must poll the jury on request. The court may poll the jury on its own initiative.

(b) The poll must be done by the court or the court's clerk. Each juror must be asked individually whether the announced verdict or finding is that juror's verdict or finding.

(c) If a juror indicates the announced verdict or finding is not that juror's verdict or finding, the court may return the jury to deliberations or discharge the jury.

(6) Verdict Impeachment. A defendant may move the court for a hearing to impeach the verdict. Juror affidavits are not admissible to impeach a verdict. At an impeachment hearing, jurors must be examined under oath and their testimony recorded. Minn. R. Evid. 606(b) governs the admissibility of evidence at an impeachment hearing.

(7) Partial Verdicts. The court may accept a partial verdict if the jury has reached a verdict on fewer than all of the charges and is unable to reach a verdict on the rest.

(b) The court need not submit evidence beyond what the jury requested but may submit additional evidence on the same issue to avoid giving undue prominence to the requested evidence.

(Amended effective September 1, 2011; amended effective August 1, 2012; amended effective March 1, 2020.)

Latest Media

New York Times - 13 Key Moments That Shaped the Trial of Derek Chauvin
(e.d. EXCELLENT review with many trial snippets embedded in article)

AP News - Attorneys at Chauvin trial in Floyd death make final pitch

CNN - George Floyd: Closing arguments in Derek Chauvin's trial will contrast the prosecution's concise case with a more complex defense - CNN

For the prosecution, that means drilling home their concise argument that Floyd's death on May 25, 2020, was exactly what it appeared to be on bystander video. What looked to the naked eye like an uncaring police officer using his knees to suffocate a non-resisting Black man really was just that, they have argued.
"You can believe your eyes that it's a homicide," prosecuting attorney Jerry Blackwell said in opening statements.
The defense's goal throughout the trial has been to complicate that story. What looked like excessive force was actually an appropriate restraint; what looked like a suffocation was actually Floyd's drug overdose and underlying heart issues; what looked like an officer's heartlessness was actually concern about a hostile mob of agitators, the defense has argued.

New York Times - ‘God Knows What’s Going to Happen’: Minneapolis Braces for Verdict in Floyd’s Death

National Review - Derek Chauvin Trial — How Jury Should Decide | National Review

Judge Cahill will advise the jury that there is a five-part test for whether an act meets this standard of recklessness. The state must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that (1) Chauvin’s actions created a risk; (2) the risk was substantial; (3) there was no adequate reason for taking the risk; (4) Chauvin was aware of the risk; and (5) he disregarded the risk. But the judge will admonish the jurors that the state need not prove that Chauvin intended to cause Floyd harm..... When Chauvin opted against the hobble, he used a restraint method that was arguably more severe. That is not de-escalation.

Last edited:
Monday marks the beginning of the end in regards to the trial of former Minneapolis Police officer Derek Chauvin, who is accused of killing George Floyd last year by kneeling on his neck for more than 9 minutes. The defense and prosecution have each rested their cases and both sides are set to deliver their closing arguments Monday.

Closing Arguments In Derek Chauvin Trial Set To Begin Monday

Monday, April 19th:
*Trial continues-Closing Arguments (Day 15) (@ 9am Trial CT) - MN – George Perry Floyd, Jr. (46) (May 25, 2020, Minneapolis, arrested for forgery & killed in police custody) - *Derek Michael Chauvin (44/now 45) police officer who held his knee on Floyd’s neck for 8 minutes & 46 seconds (Note: on 10/14/20 this has been changed to 9 minutes & 29 seconds) (& non responsive for 2 minutes & 53 seconds before officer took his knee off his neck; from 8:19pm to 8:28pm his knee was on Floyd’s neck; has been fired (5/26/20) & arrested & charged (5/29/20) with 3rd degree murder & 2nd degree manslaughter. Charges changed (6/3/20) to 2nd degree murder-unintentional-while committing a felony, 3rd degree murder-perpetrating eminently dangerous act (3rd degree charge was dismissed on 10/22/20 & reinstated on 3/11/21) & evincing depraved mind & 2nd degree manslaughter-culpable negligence creating unreasonable risk. $500K bond, reset (6/8/20) @ $1.25M & $1M with conditions. Posted non-cash $1M bond (10/7/20) & has been released from jail.
Trial began on 3/8/21 with jury selection. Jury selection ran through March 23, 2021. Trial with opening statements & the commencement of the State’s case began on March 29, 2021. Experts anticipate the trial could last 2-4 weeks. Jurors: 12 & 2 alternates (9 women & 5 men). Jurors will be sequestered during deliberations. None of the other officers will be testifying at Chauvin’s trial. The State rested their case on 4/13/21 & had 38 witnesses. Defense started their case on 4/13/21 & rested their case on 4/15/21 & 7 witnesses.
Closing arguments will begin Monday, 4/19/21. The jury will be sequestered then.
Jurors’ info & incidents Judge will allow against Chauvin reference post #8 here:
MN - George Floyd, 46, died in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #14 - Chauvin Trial Day 11

Bond conditions & court info 12/19/20 thru 3/23/21 & jury selection (3/9 thru 3/23) & Day 1 to 13 of Trial (3/29 to 4/14/21) reference post #9 here:
MN - George Floyd, 46, died in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #17 - Chauvin Trial Day 14

4/15/21 Thursday, Trial Day 14: Each morning of the trial the Judge as set aside 9am CT/10am ET for any motions/issues with attorneys.
Motion hearing: Chauvin will NOT testify. Invoking his 5th amendment privilege against self-incrimination. Jury not in courtroom for this process. Judge Cahill debriefing with Chauvin about his decision not to testify. Pointing out it is absolutely Chauvin's right to invoke his 5th Amendment privilege. Defense will rest in front of the jury. State with help from Hennepin Co Medical Examiner, Dr. Andrew Baker found some blood testing work that seems to shed new light on carbon monoxide levels in Floyd at time of death. Defense expert Dr. Fowler hinted CO might have played role in Floyd's death. Nelson's argument is that the State had Fowler's report back in February. Sounds like Baker (State ME) was listening yesterday & "found" test results that were not handed over to either the State or the Defense. Defense attorney Eric Nelson says this "new" blood evidence that has surfaced overnight in relation to Floyd CO levels should NOT be presented to the jury. Nelson says he will argue for a mistrial if the jury sees these test results taken at time of Floyd original autopsy. Judge Cahill says Dr. Fowler’s report released in February gave the state ample notice. Dr. Tobin will not testify as to those lab results, if there's anything he wish to add about CO as far as environmental factors, but he if he even hints that there are test results, the jury has not heard about, it's going to be a mistrial, pure & simple. ..but it seems odd that Hennepin County Medical Center, when they're asked to turn over all their records that they don't include records that maybe are just buried a little deeper.”
Defense rests their case.
State’s Rebuttal witness: Blackwell on direct. Dr. Martin Tobin, pulmunologis & criticial care. Testified about carbon monoxide to rebut Dr. Fowler's testimony yesterday. "If (Floyd's) hemoglobin is saturated at 98%, the maximum amount of carbon monoxide would be 2%." Cross by Nelson. Blackwell says the State rests their case.
This is the first time following trials that the judge is saying that all the exhibits will be on a computer and they will not have to come back into the courtroom. Judge sends jurors home until Monday, 4/19/21 for closing arguments & final jury instructions. Starts at 9am.
Prosecution confirms their closing arguments lineup. Steve Schleicher to deliver closing arguments. Jerry Blackwell will handle rebuttal. Meaning the final voice this jury will hear from aside from Judge, will be Blackwell.
*Charged (722/20) with 6 counts of aiding & abetting taxes-false or fraudulent returns-filed with commissioner & 3 counts of aiding & abetting taxes-failure to file return, report, document. Omnibus hearing on 6/30/21.

What do people think about the closings? I think both are going to be pretty short and sweet...especially Nelson. I think it highly possible the jury will have the case by lunch time. Unless of course Mr. Nelson comes in with some issues with the jury over the weekend. All things being equal I guess the last two jurors selected will be let go? Or are they held somewhere in case someone gets sick etc. I think they will be let go...again risky.
I'm expecting protracted and grinding my teeth already in anticipation.

Has the judge set a time limit for each closing? If so, each side will go as long as he ruled.

I'm looking forward to both closings.

Jmho

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/court_rules/cr/id/26/#26.02

Subd. 12.Order of Jury Trial.
a. The jury is selected and sworn.

b. The court may deliver preliminary jury instructions.

c. The prosecutor may make an opening statement limited to the facts the prosecutor expects to prove.

d. The defendant may make an opening statement after the prosecutor's opening statement, or make an opening statement at the beginning of the defendant's case. The defendant's statement must be limited to the defense and the facts the defendant expects to offer supporting that defense.

e. The prosecutor presents evidence in support of the state's case.

f. The defendant may offer evidence in defense.

g. The prosecutor may rebut the defense evidence, and, the defense may rebut the prosecutor's evidence. In the interests of justice, the court may allow any party to reopen that party's case to offer additional evidence.

--------------------HERE WE ARE-----------------

h. The prosecutor may make a closing argument.

i. The defendant may make a closing argument.

j. The prosecutor may make a rebuttal argument limited to a direct response to the defendant's closing argument.

k. On motion, the court may allow a defense rebuttal if the court finds the prosecution has made a misstatement of law or fact or an inflammatory or prejudicial statement in rebuttal. Rebuttal must be limited to a direct response to the misstatement of law or fact or the inflammatory or prejudicial statement.

l. Outside the jury's presence, the court must allow the parties to object to the other party's argument and request curative instructions. The parties may also object and seek curative instructions before or during argument.

m. The court instructs the jury.

n. The jury deliberates and, if possible, renders a verdict.

---

Footnotes of this subd...

"Rule 26.03, subd. 12 (Order of Jury Trial) substantially continues the order of trial under existing practice. See Minnesota Statutes, section 546.11. The order of closing argument, under sections "h," "i," "j," and "k" of this rule reflects a change. The prosecution argues first, then the defense. The prosecution is then automatically entitled to rebuttal argument. However, this argument must be true rebuttal and is limited to directly responding to matters raised in the defendant's closing argument. Allowance of the rebuttal argument to the prosecution should result in a more efficient and less confusing presentation to the jury. The prosecution will need to address only those defenses actually raised by the defendant rather than guessing, perhaps wrongly, about those defenses. In the event that the prosecution engages in improper rebuttal, paragraph "k" of the rule provides, upon motion, for a limited right of rebuttal to the defendant to address misstatements of law or fact and any inflammatory or prejudicial statements. The court has the inherent power and duty to assure that any rebuttal or surrebuttal arguments stay within the limits of the rule and do not simply repeat matters from the earlier arguments or address matters not raised in earlier arguments. It is the responsibility of the court to ensure that final argument to the jury is kept within proper bounds. ABA Standards for Criminal Justice: Prosecution Function and Defense Function, standards 3-5.8 and 4-7.7 (3d ed. 1993). If the argument is sufficiently improper, the trial judge should intervene, even without objection from opposing counsel. See State v. Salitros, 499 N.W.2d 815, 817 (Minn. 1993); State v. White, 295 Minn. 217, 223, 203 N.W.2d 852, 857 (1973)."

I just want to take this opportunity to thank you @dixiegirl and all moderators and forum administrators for your amazing and skillful work . I'm really grateful. Thank you all.
ETA and not forgetting the wonderful and consistent great work of our @Niner on every thread here, always. Thanks, sincerely @Niner

Last edited:
I still do not understand why, after approval by the court, that the prosecution did not bring in that Chauvin was lauded and got recognition for turning a suspect on his side. To show that he knew.

Anyone .. can you think of why they didn't bring in after fighting for it and winning that they could?

As MOO so much depends on him knowing about turning on his side in recovery etc etc etc.

Has the judge set a time limit for each closing? If so, each side will go as long as he ruled.

I'm looking forward to both closings.

Jmho
i have not heard a time limit but usually judge will ask what they need and if both about the same plan for that. Judge Cahill is pretty no nonsense so I don't think he wants long protracted closing. To be honest I just don't see this case as complex in terms of evidence ...only complex thing for jury may be difference between 2nd murder and 3rd and i expect STate to hammer that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RowTheBoat