MN - George Floyd, unarmed man killed in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Live updates: Minneapolis protests over the death of George Floyd

It's past 10:30 at night in Minneapolis, but the protests show no sign of slowing -- if anything, they appear to be ratcheting up in intensity, with protesters setting a police precinct on fire.

Police had set up a fence around the precinct earlier, but it has since been pushed over and thousands of protesters are crowding around the precinct, climbing up the building and lighting its exterior on fire.

"The precinct is on fire. We don't know where the police are," said CNN National Correspondent Sara Sidner. "The fire alarm is going on inside ... People are cheering and more fireworks are going off as the police precinct is burning."

There is no sound of a siren in the background, and no sign of firefighters arriving -- a stark contrast to the protests last night, when multiple fire trucks arrived to put out fires.

"The police have made a calculated decision that they're not going enforce what we're seeing behind us," said CNN Correspondent Josh Campbell, who is also on the scene.

It may be because the police know their presence could further inflame tensions and make the situation escalate, Campbell added. "It's a dangerous and volatile situation here. I think the police know that."

And in Denver Colorado
https://nypost.com/2020/05/28/shots-fired-during-tense-george-floyd-protests-in-denver/

I lived through the Ferguson, MO riots a few years ago as I'm just a few miles from where the riots occurred. Business owners lost their businesses, people were injured. I wish the people that are rioting and destroying property would realize that this is not the answer. They could likely be arrested themselves. I completely understand the outrage but if more life is lost, what does that solve?

Ha well thanks my friends for the concern, but the well wishes need to go to the protesters themselves... hoping that even as things seem to escalate there are no casualties tonight! :(

This is such a dangerous scene with the fire, the debris and the safety of the hundreds of people - I pray no one there gets hurt.

Yesterday, I watched Mayor Frey, holding back tears, calling for the arresting officer to be charged.

That was yesterday. Today, still no charges and I can't even imagine how angry people must feel about this injustice.

Surely the autopsy report has been completed - even the independent one which was requested.

Today I watched the U.S. Attorney as well as the F.B.I. in charge of the investigation speak. I noted that the Attorney apologized to the media for the 2 hour delay of today's press conference.

Citizens do not understand the delay in charging the officer.

Still no charges and this is late Thursday night.

The Attorney and the F.B.I. explained that these investigations take time.

I don't recall an investigation being conducted before an arrest is made, and especially when the crime is captured on video (multiple videos).

This is only my opinion, however, there is a reason why everyone is so upset about no charges being laid.

Again, just my opinion. I truly can't understand this.

I pray no lives are lost tonight as it is a dangerous situation for everyone there.

Last edited:
I am crying thinking how this man spoke with such dignity using the words, "please officer, I can't breathe". When you are held down with your air cut off, the amount of desperation you feel to just breathe again is unspeakable. What a cruel thing to do to anybody who is defenseless. How many victims like George Floyd are no longer alive to protest? When bad cops are in charge of policing themselves, we see what happens.

I don't understand why the National Guard is not there.

To me, their presence could keep the crowd safe, as well as the firefighters.

Maybe I'm wrong about the National Guard being there but I think it would be good - even just to keep the people there safe.

ETA:
According to this news report, the National Guard is being mobilized now:
National Guard activated in Minneapolis after unrest

Last edited:
I don't want anyone to get hurt or die, but I get this. I get this outrage. We have protested peacefully for years and watched all of these officers get off on charges. People are angry. I'm a white woman and I am absolutely ticked off. This has got to end. The murder of unarmed black people must cease. This has turned into a war. I completely understand their frustration. If you listen to the live streams interviewing the protesters they will all tell you "We tried peaceful protests for years and they wouldn't listen." Will they listen now?

I don't want anyone to get hurt or die, but I get this. I get this outrage. We have protested peacefully for years and watched all of these officers get off on charges. People are angry. I'm a white woman and I am absolutely ticked off. This has got to end. The murder of unarmed black people must cease. This has turned into a war. I completely understand their frustration. If you listen to the live streams interviewing the protesters they will all tell you "We tried peaceful protests for years and they wouldn't listen." Will they listen now?
I'm not sure they will. They knew this was coming. They could have arrested the officers, upgraded the charges later if necessary, but it would have likely prevented much of tonight's events. I knew the second they didn't, that this would be the result.

This bolded statement. I’m in total agreement. Peaceful protest, like kneeling, has had no results and even backlash. I’m not for loss of life or property, but I get the anger. I’m angry.

Your post reminded me of @cujenn81 signature.

Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.- Benjamin Franklin”.

IMO it aligns perfectly with this thread/topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth