MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #14

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In a local letter to the editor published on Nov. 6, 2009 in the St. Joseph Newsleader, a writer wrote in to say she had concerns about a boy scout leader who had been arrested in Burnsville, MN. Partial letter (snipped for brevity) below.

"I read the Pioneer Press this week, ...regarding Peter Stibal's capture, and bail being held at $500,000. ...I was very sorry for the boys who said their Cub Master had sexually abused them. I began aching for them, and the healing they would need from their families, and the strength that will take.

Then, ...I was tallying up similarities in the story, that also coincided with Jacob Wetterling, and his disappearance. Peter Stibal had molested boys as young as 11... Peter Stibal has a cabin in Stearns County on Big Lake where he was alone with boys to molest them. This is in proximaty to St. Joseph... Peter Stibal, would have been 24 years old when Jacob went missing the night of 10/22/1989...

It said in the article Peter Stibal was an Eagle Scout of troup No. 650, and I'm just wondering where he was the night Jacob went missing? Perhaps he had service opportunities with children while earning his merit badges. Perhaps he met Jacob during one of these opportunities, and then planned to watch him - get to know his routine. I am very concerned this is a suspect, authorities should inquire as to Stibal's address and employment and volunteer positions he held, and uncover his wherabouts the night Jacob went missing - perhaps these questions may reveal long awaited answers for the Wetterling family and their friends."

(PS is mentioned in our who's who.)

In a local letter to the editor published on Nov. 6, 2009 in the St. Joseph Newsleader, a writer wrote in to say she had concerns about a boy scout leader who had been arrested in Burnsville, MN. Partial letter (snipped for brevity) below.

"I read the Pioneer Press this week, ...regarding Peter Stibal's capture, and bail being held at $500,000. ...I was very sorry for the boys who said their Cub Master had sexually abused them. I began aching for them, and the healing they would need from their families, and the strength that will take.

Then, ...I was tallying up similarities in the story, that also coincided with Jacob Wetterling, and his disappearance. Peter Stibal had molested boys as young as 11... Peter Stibal has a cabin in Stearns County on Big Lake where he was alone with boys to molest them. This is in proximaty to St. Joseph... Peter Stibal, would have been 24 years old when Jacob went missing the night of 10/22/1989...

It said in the article Peter Stibal was an Eagle Scout of troup No. 650, and I'm just wondering where he was the night Jacob went missing? Perhaps he had service opportunities with children while earning his merit badges. Perhaps he met Jacob during one of these opportunities, and then planned to watch him - get to know his routine. I am very concerned this is a suspect, authorities should inquire as to Stibal's address and employment and volunteer positions he held, and uncover his wherabouts the night Jacob went missing - perhaps these questions may reveal long awaited answers for the Wetterling family and their friends."

My first thought is it seems like the writer is reaching a bit. My second thought is, DR was named a POI a year after this article.

Who is the perp? ?..whats the evidence against him? ? and what is this chest someone mentioned with blood on it..? ? ?

I think that us a great lead. If DR had Jacob's blood on a chest it would have already been figured out. Time to start from the beginning and look elsewhere. There were tire tracks and who knows if they were Kevins really.

Interesting the Stibal family had a cabin in Paymesville and it looks like some Stibals may still live there

I think that us a great lead. If DR had Jacob's blood on a chest it would have already been figured out. Time to start from the beginning and look elsewhere. There were tire tracks and who knows if they were Kevins really.

Seems as if LE ruled him out though. Or decided he was already going to prison for enough stuff?

There is a little truth in every lie. Would the Bahner boys have been at this party and not in the woods across from DRs? You would have at least thought the cops would have tried to find out who bought the beer...even though a keggar was not their priority.....maybe they did......

Interesting the Stibal family had a cabin in Paymesville and it looks like some Stibals may still live there
I did a little research a while back, I think it is his parents that own the cabin, but I believe they live in the metro area.

There is a little truth in every lie. Would the Bahner boys have been at this party and not in the woods across from DRs? You would have at least thought the cops would have tried to find out who bought the beer...even though a keggar was not their priority.....maybe they did......

I'm not sure if the Bahners would hang around high school kids from Apollo, but you never know. Maybe if they thought they could get free beer. :) LE has probably looked at all of this, but we have no way of knowing.

I'm not sure if the Bahners would hang around high school kids from Apollo, but you never know. Maybe if they thought they could get free beer. :) LE has probably looked at all of this, but we have no way of knowing.
I was thinking one of them was still in high school at the time. Is Apollo public or private?

RBBM: Concerning the part that I bolded, about LE looking into it... That's been a problem for me; in kind of an 'overall' way, concerning this whole investigation. A lot of things that we end up looking back at, because of the circumstances of only a certain amount of information available, and no resolution at all; somewhat frequently, I think to myself, that something maybe should be considered, then I think to myself that 'well, certainly, LE would have looked into that at the time; and since, it doesn't seem to be an issue, then, they probably found that there wasn't any reason for concern' - however, I've gotten to a point, that, with so much that could have, should have been looked at, that, as far as we know it never was, and in some instances, we know that whatever LE did, it really wasn't sufficient; I personally think that to some extent, it's not safe to assume that LE had (at least sufficiently) looked into something at the time; and that if it looks 'Now' like something that should have been looked into; then, there's a good chance that, maybe it never was, and/or, at least not sufficiently. This is among the things that make trying to figure something out about this case, so aggravating. And, unfortunately, LE's attitude to not share Anything with the public about what has or has not been considered, ruled in/ruled out, etc... is really a hindrance to any one else, ever being able to make any headway.

00F0F_8Ut2gWp9TIf_600x450.jpg

footprints.jpg

00x0x_ep3b2qKwZXb_600x450.jpg

There is a similarity to be found here with the activity left behind of exiting or entering a vehicle. I think Jacob was put into a vehicle, was it DR's or Kevins?

Here's a site that could be helpful just in general for IDing sex offenders in MN. These are all convicted offenders, and photos might be useful for comparing facial types.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/MN-Predatory-Sex-Offender-Wall-of-Shame/287629097976113

Something that I kind of wonder about; I wonder if there's any kind of underground networking between sex-offenders. I basically assume that there is between certain ones who know each other, and maybe, some networking could occur when any one, two or three who know each other, bring in others, that they happen to know individually. It'd be kind of hard to say; and it's kind of hard to imagine how they'd get to know each other, but, certainly not impossible; also, considering, since any number of them have spent time in prison or whatever kind of institution and met others. Makes you wonder if there's someone out there who knows who Jacob's abductor is, or, even maybe has a pretty good idea, but, isn't willing to give him up. Just a possibility.

I'm also wondering about this in 1989 terms; I'm pretty sure today that with the internet, that there are groups on the internet, and every once in a while you hear about a whole group being busted. At the same time, it just occurred to me; it wouldn't be impossible, if someone now on the internet would have been among a group from 1989 or the '90's who had some inside information on who took Jacob. Not impossible; but, who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frankiterranova