MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The dogs lost the scent because the ground was so dry.
Also, I think it's possible DR could have buried evidence on his own property, especially knowing there were searches going on all around, it would have been risky taking the body away in a vehicle, but then again DR himself said that LE looked into the trunk of his car the morning after the abduction and saw boxes but unfortunately they didn't open them. I think it would have been a major risk taking a body off the property plus everyone thought the abductor got away in a car so DR could have felt a false sense of security in knowing that the police had been mislead and were looking elsewhere for Jacob.

One thing that gets me is....would DR be stupid enough to BURY Jacob right in plain site of where he was abducted from??? I think not. He's an intelligent man, from what it seems.
AND.....if a large search was conducted the days, weeks, months and years during Jacob's disappearance, wouldn't SOMEONE have noticed newly dug earth? Dirt?

they have a huge ash pile from the furnace that they use to heat the farmhouse.

I don't think anyone would notice an ash pile being disturbed.

Found this interesting since DR is a runner. These are all running trails designed by DR. Some lead from his farm to St. John's Abbey, and to a chapel at St. John's which is out in the woods on a lake there. One leads to a park and cemetery area behind St. Ben's college. One leads from his farm to Cold Spring school. Just shows how well he knows that whole area.
http://www.run.com/city.asp?dest=Saint+Joseph+MN

shergal:

Great sleuthing. Knew there had to be something to the comment made about a running trail.

The guy that came forward was a guy who was listening to his police scanner in the area. Turns out he heard the info over his scanner, and got to the scene before police did. He spoke with police when they arrived, then left. The police apparently never took this guy's name - but they have cleared him. I'd like to know how they cleared him? The guy apparently took so long to come forward fearing police would think him a suspect. But if he talked with police in 89 at the scene of the crime - and assuming he'd explained himself to them at the time, knowing he'd heard what was going on over his scanner, he would CERTAINLY have known what was going on, and that a child's life may have depended on his information!!

I'd like to know if:
- < this guy may have further contaminated the scene (new scent to confuse dogs)
- < foot prints? Tire tracks? Walking over other prints, destroying other potential clues??

Could this guy have known an abduction was about to go down, and been in the area specifically to mislead, and provide misleading tracks and prints?

I realize he was cleared, but how, and by whom? And when exactly?

I see the point of your theory, but I cant get beyond that, to me, the potential risk outweighs the potential gain (as far as the mislead/slash/red herring factor) However, the reprehensible people who commit these acts dont always make sense tho - ifat all, so I do see what you're saying.

Found this interesting since DR is a runner. These are all running trails designed by DR. Some lead from his farm to St. John's Abbey, and to a chapel at St. John's which is out in the woods on a lake there. One leads to a park and cemetery area behind St. Ben's college. One leads from his farm to Cold Spring school. Just shows how well he knows that whole area.
http://www.run.com/city.asp?dest=Saint+Joseph+MN

Thanks so much!!!!! Wow!

Interesting to note the settings where the abuse took place. I think it would be relatively easy, especially back then, to take a victim somewhere that was isolated.

- cabin
- car
- perhaps even a chapel in the woods

etc.

Maybe DR told one of the monks or priests that there was a cute little neighbor boy who was 11 years old. DR could have possibly had this person over to his house to stay while his parents were out of town. Or maybe DR confided in this priest or monk and told them he wanted to experience with a little boy so they helped him get someone to molest.

Interesting to note the settings where the abuse took place. I think it would be relatively easy, especially back then, to take a victim somewhere that was isolated.

- cabin
- car

etc.

yes, and everyone is involved in the cover ups, so hard to get any info on what really happened.

I hope more people come out and talk about all of these issues.

Maybe someone did and that's why there is the new search.

Maybe DR told one of the monks or priests that there was a cute little neighbor boy who was 11 years old. DR could have possibly had this person over to his house to stay while his parents were out of town. Or maybe DR confided in this priest or monk and told them he wanted to experience with a little boy so they helped him get someone to molest.

I think that DR's lifestyle indicates that there is something wrong somewhere.

I know people have said that adults may live with their parents to help out.

DR has a couple of good jobs, is attractive, is skilled with music.

So why was he living in the basement of his parent's home at the time of the abduction? And he has always lived there except for a couple of years.

Most adults want their own lives to bring home friends, etc.

It makes no sense to me whatsoever.

So far what is known is that there was only one person involved and that one person stepped out of the Rassier farm driveway and returned down that driveway with Jacob. It was just that simple IMO. I think the abductor did this all on his own and the footprints lead right to his (DR's) direction JMO.
As far as pedo priests are involved, there needs too be some kind of proof that there was more than one person involved.

OK. So now I can't find the video. This may mean something or not. But the former investigator said recently that "They wouldn't tell us what happened." Who are "they"?

OK. So now I can't find the video. This may mean something or not. But the former investigator said recently that "They wouldn't tell us what happened." Who are "they"?

please try to find it! I do not know what you are talking about and it really has my curiosity going.

I've tried to read everything before asking so as not to duplicate, but here goes.

Do we know how often the guy's ("DR's?") parents went out of town? Was this a once in a blue moon trip or did they frequently leave him alone on the farm? (He was/is a teacher, right?)

Did the two adult brothers visit the parents and DR on the farm often? And how far away did they live? Iow, would a pop-in visit be a likelihood?

Did the Wetterling kids - with or without the friend - make a habit of going to the Tom Thumb after dinner? (or in the evening?) Iow, was this a routine for them of sorts?

Did I understand correctly that the kids called the Wetterlings at their PTA event to ask permission to go? Mom said no and Dad said yes?

Were the KIDS the ones who arranged for a babysitter for the younger sister?

I guess Im trying to narrow down who knew that the boys would be leaving the house (and possibly where they were going and when)

TIA.

The "waste my time" comment is odd to me. Imo, if someone were not involved and merely an uncaring jerk, a normal person (particularly a kids' teacher) would probably want to make at least some minimal effort keep his jerkiness to himself. Iow, if he were not involved and only a jerk it seems like he'd just quietly not participate rather than make memorable, callous statements. (The jerk factor being evidenced by not being eager to help, seemingly didnt care about the search, didnt want to "waste time," didnt seem shocked or appalled that a child is missing and he is a teacher of children, etc)

IDK. *sigh*

Did anyone ask what he was removing in those boxes? If so, what was his response? Not saying he'd tell the truth one way or the other, just wondering what his answer was and if it even sounds plausible to any of us.

I've tried to read everything before asking so as not to duplicate, but here goes.

Do we know how often the guy's ("DR's?") parents went out of town? Was this a once in a blue moon trip or did they frequently leave him alone on the farm? (He was/is a teacher, right?)

No clue, all I know is DR's parents were away in Europe.

Did the two adult brothers visit the parents and DR on the farm often? And how far away did they live? Iow, would a pop-in visit be a likelihood?

No clue, but it seems DR was alone on the farm that night.

Did the Wetterling kids - with or without the friend - make a habit of going to the Tom Thumb after dinner? (or in the evening?) Iow, was this a routine for them of sorts?

This was their first time going on their bikes to the store after dark.

Did I understand correctly that the kids called the Wetterlings at their PTA event to ask permission to go? Mom said no and Dad said yes?

Yes, that's correct, the dad said they could go if they all wore reflective clothing and brought flashlights.

Were the KIDS the ones who arranged for a babysitter for the younger sister?

Yes.

Did anyone ask what he was removing in those boxes? If so, what was his response? Not saying he'd tell the truth one way or the other, just wondering what his answer was and if it even sounds plausible to any of us.

All I know is that he was transporting "big boxes", no clue what was inside them.

- cabin
- car

etc.

Well, it's a LONG walk around the lake through woods on a narrow dirt path to the Stella Maris Chapel. So I doubt anyone would drag a live abducted child there. Here is a map overview showing how far it is.
http://wiki.worldflicks.org/lake_sagatagan.html#coords=(45.575149617451224,-94.38787937164307)&z=15

Pictures and articles on history of Stella Maris Chapel at St. John's:
http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMGBQ_Stella_Maris_Chapel_Minnesota
http://cdm.csbsju.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/SJUArchives&CISOPTR=242

While looking for photos of the chapel I found an interesting resource to search through. "The Record" is the St. John's University paper and it's all online for years back in pdf form. I'm reading now to see how different actual reports back then were from what we've seen from the Times and Twin Cities papers.
http://cdm.csbsju.edu/cdm4/document.php?CISOROOT=/CSBArchNews&CISOPTR=36952&REC=13

I put an advanced search in there for "Jacob Wetterling" and came up with all these links. You can read the paper from back in 1989 on up and see exactly what was reported. I imagine it can also be used to search other terms such as "rassier", Josh Guimond" for those interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NaniMom