MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In his book "Famous Crimes of Minnesota", Michael Burgan devotes 5 pages to Jacob's case. Nothing new in there, so pass on it if you're hoping for that. However the book will be of interest to Minnesotans and crime history buffs alike. Published July 2013, available on Amazon.com

The section about Jacob is entitled "An Unsolved Mystery". He presents a reasonably accurate summary of the abduction circumstances, and discusses DR as a POI at some length. Detective Ned Neddermeyer's is discussed, saying "One angle he began to investigate is was that the abductor might work around children, as a bus driver perhaps, or a teacher.

Anyone have any info on a part time bus driver in the area that was a suspect, or that had committed an abduction, taking a boy to the quarry pit near St Cloud? I have a name, but cannot post it here because I can't find it anywhere online or any record of it.

I've never thought about how a three wheeler could have been used in the abduction.

I think a 3 wheeler tire would be much more aggressive. Looks like a turf tire to me - maybe an electric golf cart? That would explain a "silent" get away.

Three wheeler's and golf carts (before the newer side by side ATV's) became more common on farms around the early 80's. Later replaced by four wheel ATV's and side by sides for their utility value less cost than a pickup for around the farm use.

I would encourage her efforts if I could believe what she writes,

Chelsea Hoffman writes as well. She is going to put out a book on Hannah Anderson. Is there truth in it? Sure, I bet there will be some. How do we know what is true?

There are video inteviews of DR but people jump all over those.

Joy interviews DR and everyone is fawning over them.

Why? When they are filled,with inaccruracies.

I have a unique way of looking at blogs and media sites. I use the old adage that "In every rumor is a grain of truth"...and that's what we all do here...look for that grain of truth. :)

Pondering, since you live in the neighborhood, do you know anything about DAH?

Do you know anything about the 1987 situation with the boys?

Have you heard any talk about anything related to these situations?

Just to clarify, I don't live in the "neighborhood." Just near by. No I don't know anything ..still need to research that. Nor hear any talk. (BUT, that doesent mean there hasent been any.. I just haven't heard it. )

I moved to the area in early 1989. (not from this area) And sadly, when JW was abducted, I didn't follow the case close. (here and there newspaper/tv reports)Awhile ago, became interested and researching a few missing persons cases. Sorry, wish I had more to offer.

I think a 3 wheeler tire would be much more aggressive. Looks like a turf tire to me - maybe an electric golf cart? That would explain a "silent" get away.

It would be so hard to control a child on one of those...nothing enclosed to keep him inside the vehicle. He'd have to hold him on his lap and restrain him while driving away. Of course he could have used something to sedate him I suppose

human...I see you're having difficulty with Joy's blog. I have challenged you on that. Even though you might say it's 'sensational' in its presentation, it's also pertinent and timely, and it has put Jacob back into the light of discussion + research. From what I've seen, you cut a wide swathe on WS and posters are deferential to you. I just wonder why you're so suspicious + discerning? Joy has placed herself front + center....given her name, her face is posted on her website along with her husband, she is exposed. Certainly, if she was getting close to the truth, would she not be at risk? Yes, she lives in Paynesville near DAH(previously) somewhere but doesn't this make it even riskier for her. I think she has a genuine concern for Jacob and is pursuing the truth while at the same time trying to build a career as a writer. Noone else has established a blog for Jacob(JWFoundation notwithstanding)....I think she is a valuable resource now as well you are as you were there when it all happened. I just don't see the 'Nancy Grace' aspect to it.

The misinformation. Incorrect information. I listed it on here who knows where. When I see misinformation a couple of times, then my radar goes up. Then all information becomes suspect. If I can't trust a couple of things to be true that I know are false, how can I trust the things that I do not know?

I only have questioning . If something does not make sense, there is a reason. For instance, it made no sense that LE did not know about the 1987 attacks.

That raised my eyebrows a tad. In fact, that is not a true statement at all.

This is about children. People want to make money and a name for themselves such as Nancy Grace. What her motives are, who knows.

Joy is in no danger from anyone. Why would she be? DAH is locked up in an incredibly secure facility.

Diane Muelbauer interviewed people who claim others are the perps. These supposed perps are out and about. There are even more witnesses that she knows about such as Ben.

All I care about is that these children are not forgotten.

I have followed some other missing children cases on here, and some of the children have not been mentioned again for a couple of years even though they are missing.

There have been other blogs about Jacob on the web. They come and they go.

I just hope they are truthful. I see things on here posted as facts sometimes. The incorrect information gets corrected.

To some of us, this is not a story or a puzzle. It is gut wrenching , life changing reality

In his book "Famous Crimes of Minnesota", Michael Burgan devotes 5 pages to Jacob's case. Nothing new in there, so pass on it if you're hoping for that. However the book will be of interest to Minnesotans and crime history buffs alike. Published July 2013, available on Amazon.com

The section about Jacob is entitled "An Unsolved Mystery". He presents a reasonably accurate summary of the abduction circumstances, and discusses DR as a POI at some length. Detective Ned Neddermeyer's is discussed, saying "One angle he began to investigate is was that the abductor might work around children, as a bus driver perhaps, or a teacher.

Anyone have any info on a part time bus driver in the area that was a suspect, or that had committed an abduction, taking a boy to the quarry pit near St Cloud? I have a name, but cannot post it here because I can't find it anywhere online or any record of it.

I know of,that also. How did you get that information?

There must be a newspaper reference to it somewhere . JBrown, are you willing to research this one?

Sure, I can research it if you give me the area where it happened and the time frame.

I think Joy is putting herself at risk. Look at all the possible people who could be the perpetrator, related to, close friends with or working with the perpetrator. She is opening herself up to criticism of motives, possible stalking and harassment by anonymous or not so anonymous people on the internet. I think she is brave and she is trying to help more than hurt. You are right though, human. If someone posts a larger factual error on a case, I tend to take that person's word a little less and question other things they say. But I have been known to make the same mistakes so it is tough to judge everyone.

notebook, if you were 11 years old and threatened with a gun by a mean, yelling adult with a mask, I think you would do anything that person asked. I don't see them having to restrain or sedate Jacob if he was on a 3 wheeler or an open type vehicle.

notebook, if you were 11 years old and threatened with a gun by a mean, yelling adult with a mask, I think you would do anything that person asked. I don't see them having to restrain or sedate Jacob if he was on a 3 wheeler or an open type vehicle.

The footprints show resistance, so I think he is a fighter.

Still, three wheels are different than four. Would't LE be asking for that obvious info?

Sure, I can research it if you give me the area where it happened and the time frame.

I think Joy is putting herself at risk. Look at all the possible people who could be the perpetrator, related to, close friends with or working with the perpetrator. She is opening herself up to criticism of motives, possible stalking and harassment by anonymous or not so anonymous people on the internet. I think she is brave and she is trying to help more than hurt. You are right though, human. If someone posts a larger factual error on a case, I tend to take that person's word a little less and question other things they say. But I have been known to make the same mistakes so it is tough to judge everyone.

Great. ELOC, can you get J looking in the right direction? I thought it was two different people. One a bus driver and one a quarry owner. I am going on memory and am checking the brain files. Not making a lot progress.

If only I knew some of this stuff was important at the time

Wow. I have spent the last several days reading through all of Jacob's threads and the various links etc.. provided. While I vaguely remember hearing about this case years ago, it wasn't until I was reading the Johnny Gosch (growing up in Iowa, I remember the Gosch case very well and it became somewhat of a cautionary tale to kids) thread where a few references to Jacob were made that I decided to check out out.

I must say that Jacob's abduction is perhaps one of the most chilling things I have read. To be abducted while with two friends who were helpless to do anything...scary. The brazen actions by the abductor are part of what makes this story so disturbing.

Not sure I am offering anything new here, but I want to share my initial thoughts/impressions/questions:

1. I am not entirely convinced that the same person who abducted Jared is the same person who took Jacob. Really, the similarity lies in the perp saying "don't look back or I'll shoot." Wouldn't that be a pretty common thing for someone to say to instill fear? It could very well be the same person, but not sure why so many are convinced it was.....

2. I am also not buying the theory that Jacob was abducted by some sex trafficking ring. It doesn't make much sense why such a group would be scouring the MN countryside at such an hour on a Sunday night looking for kids? Plus, if it was a sex trafficking/pedophile ring, why didn't the perp take the other two boys? I don't mean to sound crass here, but wouldn't three young boys be like a jackpot? If the perp truly had a gun and a car nearby, he could have easily gotten the three boys to go with him (especially if the theory that there were more than on person involved hold any water) and even if a boy got away, so what? Would the perp be in anymore of a difficult situation as he was by letting them go? They still would have had to run home, call the police, etc.. It just seems to me that if this was some huge pedophile ring, that three young, nice looking boys would have been VERY appealing.

3. Are we even sure that the perp had a REAL gun? I know Aaron stated he saw something shiny, but that could have been anything. In the dark, how easy would it have been to say you have a gun even if you didn't. The fact that he made the other boys run away before taking Jacob makes me think he possibly did not truly have a gun.

4. Because of the location and time, I also do not think that this was just some random pedophile. I truly think it was someone very familiar with the area and very familiar with the boys.

5. It seems the consensus by most is that the perp targeted Jacob--that Jacob was the one who he wanted. By all accounts, it certainly appears that he WAS the target. If he was then that kind of blows the random perp theory out of the water because the perp asked the boys for their AGES to, as many feel, identify which one was Jacob. If that is the case, then he HAD to know of Jacob previously to know his age.

Overall, from everything I have read and gathered, I feel that the POI that the LE has focused on for several years now is probably somehow involved. I know people have said "well, why would a guy kidnap a kid at the end of his own driveway?" Well, it obviously worked, if he is indeed involved, did it not? There was ample time for him to have hid Jacob. Obviously, the abductor KNEW he could get away quickly with Jacob because he let the other two boys go. If it was just some random pedophile, how would he have known how far the two boys had to run to get help?

Again, these are just my initial impressions. It truly is a baffling case and hard to believe it has not been solved. Someone truly did get away with the perfect crime, despite how brazen the act was.

Yea, we all make mistakes. I have said what I think about the "mistakes". Saying LE did not know about 1987 is not a mistake.

I just hope,the info is accurate and people correct the errors so that misinformation does not perpetuate itself. I think moat people have read some of the more odd, shall we say, comments out there.

One of the people who has huge courage is Jared.

Makes you wonder if the perp is anywhere around there as it seems he was not worried that Jared would spot him anywhere.

He may have been from there but was moving on.

I guess Kevin was brave in his own way eventually.

Quick question I was hoping one of the regulars might be able to answer.

Has it ever been confirmed that DR and the Wetterlings, in particular Jacob, or Aaron for that matter, actually knew or recognized one another?

Quick question I was hoping one of the regulars might be able to answer.

Has it ever been confirmed that DR and the Wetterlings, in particular Jacob, or Aaron for that matter, actually knew or recognized one another?

I don't believe so, JerseyJo. Patty Wetterling has stated in interviews that she and Jerry knew DR's parents and that they were "good people" - but it seemed like no one knew much about DR - maybe he wasn't as sociable as his folks? I have no idea if the boys knew DR at all.

Not that I know of.

DR said that he had never talked to the Wetterlings until when? The number I am thinking is after the digging?

Aaron would know, but has he ever said if the boys knew him?

Yes, Patty ran into DR at a health club and asked if they could talk and DR said, sure why not - it's been 20 years that we haven't talked. I think it was in 2010 after the digging at his farm, or close to that time. She said they talked for about an hour and she asked him if maybe it had been a prank that had gone wrong. (He was a known prankster and it was near Halloween.)

Yes, Patty ran into DR at a health club and asked if they could talk and DR said, sure why not - it's been 20 years that we haven't talked. I think it was in 2010 after the digging at his farm, or close to that time. She said they talked for about an hour and she asked him if maybe it had been a prank that had gone wrong. (He was a known prankster and it was near Halloween.)

I actually never heard the theory that Jacob's abduction could have been part of a prank. But since it was near Halloween, is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suebrina