Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! I found some more information thorough old articles:

-The witness says she saw a man with the boy, but he did not match the description of the abductor.
-"The caller, who sounded upset, then abruptly said he had to go and hung up without explanation, according to a Stearns County investigator"
-"The phone booth was at Illinois state highways 24 and 47, a major crossroads for interstate traffic."
"Zorn said the boy who resembed Wetterling had a mole on his left cheek, just like Wetterling's, but had a very short, badly cut crewcut, as though someone cut his hair at home, Gayon said."
"The man with the boy was described as white, very stocky with a receding hairline, wearing a white T-shirt, Gayon said."
-Someone at another convience story in Forrest also had a possible sighting: "A clerk at the Quick Stop convenience store in Forrest also said she thought she saw a boy matching Jacob's description in town the same day."

Where did you find these articles? It's interesting how different journalists focus on different information than others.

Since I last posted, I have probably spent at least 6 hours looking at tire patterns.

Snow
Mud and Snow
Commercial (truck, bus etc)
ATV
Motorcycle
Turf
Garden Tractor
Skip Loader
Forestry
Construction
Aircraft
Sand

The only tire I have found that came close was a Japanese tire made for the small cab over mini trucks.

What I can tell you, it is NOT a common pattern.

I'm not giving up.... :)

Still checking with older tire shops and junk yards.

Where did you find these articles? It's interesting how different journalists focus on different information than others.

Through my college, I have access to an newspaper archive database. It's called Access World News. It brings up 1532 newspaper articles about Jacob's case. However, it only has articles from '89 from two Minnesota papers, as many don't have archives going that far back.

Here's a quote from Patty about the selection:
http://missing87975.yuku.com/topic/2457#.Um5h_Wdl86K

Question from SEASEA62: Patty, what was the positioning of the boys when this happened? Was your son closest to the kidnapper?

Patty Wetterling: They were biking. So no, no one was closer. He looked at their faces before selecting Jacob.

Question from jojo: What do you think about the gunman asking them their ages before he let the other 2 go?

Court TV Host: Also, Jacob and his friend Aaron were the same age but Aaron was allowed to go -- what might that mean?

Patty Wetterling: It might have been part of his selection process. If the motive is sexual, many people get fixated on a certain age, or if he was stalking Jacob, maybe it would be used to determine which one was Jacob. I think Aaron has struggled with those questions -- was it supposed to be him? It's a very difficult question to live with, but I simply don't know.

Were there any custody disputes regarding the other two boys? Any chance a PI or hired gun grabbed the wrong boy and then realizing the mistake, got rid of the evidence to avoid a kidnapping charge?

Were there any custody disputes regarding the other two boys? Any chance a PI or hired gun grabbed the wrong boy and then realizing the mistake, got rid of the evidence to avoid a kidnapping charge?

Tracker, one of the boys was Jacob's brother and the other boy Aaron I am pretty sure came from married parents.

Since I last posted, I have probably spent at least 6 hours looking at tire patterns.

Snow
Mud and Snow
Commercial (truck, bus etc)
ATV
Motorcycle
Turf
Garden Tractor
Skip Loader
Forestry
Construction
Aircraft
Sand

The only tire I have found that came close was a Japanese tire made for the small cab over mini trucks.

What I can tell you, it is NOT a common pattern.

I'm not giving up.... :)

Still checking with older tire shops and junk yards.

Tracker: I wanted to be sure you saw this video from my post 361 on tires:

Also Tracker - check out the 2nd video around :32 on - I think that may be your 3 wheeler, they have several shots of LE driving all over both the road and DR's driveway with 3 wheelers, looking in the ditches.

Part 1:
http://www.kare11.com/news/news_arti...5911&catid=396

Part 2:
http://www.kare11.com/news/news_arti...storyid=875817

Kudos to Jared for participating in Joy's blog and even responding to comments. I wish he'd visit us here on WS!!

Eileen: Thanks so much for that news site, it led me to these article that tells all about Duane Allen Hart. He was not from Paynesville, he was from Belgrade, MN. (Probably why we had so much trouble doing searches for him using Paynesville.) He was the man who sexually abused two boys (15 and 11) in 1987 and then he molested the younger boy again in 1989. He was a laborer and a truck driver (truck, not bus). He was charged in Kandiyohi County District Court in Willmar. The article says "Hart matches the general description provided in sketches of suspects in Jacob and Jared's cases." "Hart matches the general description provided in sketches of suspects in the Wetterling case, according to FBI spokesman Byron Gigler, who said authorities received a tip about Hart several weeks ago from Paynesville residents. "They said this is someone we should take a look at," Gigler said.

I can't link to the entire article, because you have to subscribe to read it all. But you can find it in archives here: St. Paul Pioneer Press (MN) - January 26, 1990, or at the site Eileen posted above.

So LE DID interview Hart in regard to Jacob and Jared's cases. And they knew (back then, anyway) about the 1987 assaults.

Eileen: Thanks so much for that news site, it led me to these article that tells all about Duane Allen Hart. He was not from Paynesville, he was from Belgrade, MN. (Probably why we had so much trouble doing searches for him using Paynesville.) He was the man who sexually abused two boys (15 and 11) in 1987 and then he molested the younger boy again in 1989. He was a laborer and a truck driver (truck, not bus). He was charged in Kandiyohi County District Court in Willmar. The article says "Hart matches the general description provided in sketches of suspects in Jacob and Jared's cases." "Hart matches the general description provided in sketches of suspects in the Wetterling case, according to FBI spokesman Byron Gigler, who said authorities received a tip about Hart several weeks ago from Paynesville residents. "They said this is someone we should take a look at," Gigler said.

I can't link to the entire article, because you have to subscribe to read it all. But you can find it in archives here: St. Paul Pioneer Press (MN) - January 26, 1990, or at the site Eileen posted above.

So LE DID interview Hart in regard to Jacob and Jared's cases. And they knew (back then, anyway) about the 1987 assaults.

Yes - I've posted a couple times about Hart being a suspect in Jared's and Jacob's cases, but was cleared. However, the 1987 cases that Hart was charged with, I do not believe are the same cases with the black mask etc. Hart's MO was different, his victims were typically repeat victims and acquaintances.

10-14-2013, 10:21 PM
ELOCsoul

More Early Info & More on Duane Allen Hart
Re-reading some articles and picking up a little more info -

1/10/90 St Cloud Times - LE has narrowed their focus to a handful of suspects although none are a prime suspect. A strong lead was developed "when investigators found a sure link between the kidnapping and sexual assault of a 12 year old Cold Spring boy, and Jacob's abduction." A database of more than 5,000 Minnesotan sex offenders was compiled and those on the list investigated.

1/25/90 St Cloud Times - In this story about Duane Allen Hart's arrest, there are additional comments from DAH's foster father. He said Hart was expelled from special education at Paynesville HS for sexual misconduct with another boy. His stepfather goes on to say "You see, I never got it from him that he'd done something like that. He never said anything like that. If he wouuld have he wouldn't have been running loose. I'd have turned him in. He knows that. I don't care if he is our foster boy, if he's pulling something like that, he should be arrested." Those comments are in stark contrast to DAH's mother, who you may remember said her son was innocent of the charges.

1/28/90 St. Cloud Times - "Duane Allen Hart, 42, was a suspect in Jacob's abduction from the beginning, but was brushed aside as investigators zeroed in on other men who more closely fit the profile." Numerous other sex offenders have been arrested as a result of of tips passed on to LE agencies.

Here is an excerpt from the 1/30/90 Paynesville Press. Kandiyohi County is centered around Willmar, is south of Belgrade and just west of Paynesville:

"Duane Hart, a Paynesville native, was arrested last week near Belgrade and charged in Kandiyohi County for molesting boys. The arrest stemmed from investigations by the Jacob Wetterling Task Force, but Kandiyohi County Sheriff Larry Kleinhuizen said that last Friday charges against Hart were not connected with the Jacob Wetterling abduction. According to Byron Gigler, an FBI spokesman, there remains no known connection between Hart and the Wetterling case.

Kleinhuizen said the incidents of fondling the boys date to 1987 and the fall of 1989 and occurred in northeastern Kandoyohi County. Hart allegedly offered boys presents to lure them and on one occasion offered a boy $5.

Hart was arrested at Kay Farms near Brooten.

Shergal and Elosoul, I did a criminal check on the MN database and didn't find anything with the name you gave me.

However, I searched some more on the Paynesville Press and found more articles with some more info. Shergal, DAH was born and raised in Paynesville and moved to Belgrade. I must not have put that on my post when I found the article.

What I found all from the Paynesville Press:

04/1/1986: Possible attempted child abduction. a 12 year old boy was walking near G & T Foods (224 James St Paynesville, 2 blocks from elementary school) and was asked if he wanted a ride or if he wanted to go to "toyland". He said no to both questions and kept walking. Suspects car was an old blue 4 door square in size.

12/9/86: An article warning parents of 2 incidents with 13 year old boys- one in August (1986) and one on November 30 (1986). Both were attacked from behind and verbally threatened. The second victim was sexually assaulted.

05/26/87: A father of a victim sent a letter to the editor saying someone is molesting boys in the 6th through 10th grades and his son was one of them. He said his son was being picked on at school because other students found out. The father asked why isn't the police or the community doing anything. I have the names, but I will keep them.

12/11/90: An article about Patty Wetterling talking to school children written by Linda Stellig titled "Wetterling Urge Children to Speak Out".
Clipped by me, "After Jacob's abduction, one boy came forward and told how he had been abused by one man. After he talked to authorities, they found that the same man had molested more than 80 kids." WHO ABUSED MORE THAN 80 KIDS? (my thought)

ELOSoul, I have that same article and in it it indicates that someone came forward to indicate that he was molested by DAH more than 27 years ago. It looks like he has been doing it for some time. And from what you posted in light blue, he was expelled from Paynesville HS for sexual misconduct. Sometimes people who molest for a long time graduate to kidnapping. I am going to go back to my old posts and review his record and crimes.

ELOSoul, I have that same article and in it it indicates that someone came forward to indicate that he was molested by DAH more than 27 years ago. It looks like he has been doing it for some time. And from what you posted in light blue, he was expelled from Paynesville HS for sexual misconduct. Sometimes people who molest for a long time graduate to kidnapping. I am going to go back to my old posts and review his record and crimes.

He had multiple DWI's, and several documented hospitalizations. I don't like DAH for either Jared's or Jacob's abductions. I think he was pretty clearly on LE's radar and they checked him out. I just don't think he would be sophisticated enough to cover up his crimes, and if he had a portable police scanner, that would have come to light after Jared's abduction.

I think everyone should definitely re-read the commitment details for DAH that human found in thread 5. They found him dangerous physically and sexually towards children and committed him because he refused treatment for pedophilia and chemical addiction.

clipped by me from the link below:
In 1990 Hart pleaded guilty to six counts of criminal sexual conduct (ranging from second to fourth degree) involving four juvenile male victims. The evidence at the commitment hearing showed that one victim estimated that Hart sexually attacked him five or six times a week for six years. Hart used bribes, chemicals, threats, social isolation, and religious preaching to victimize this juvenile. Other victims also testified as to numerous sexual contacts, most of which did not result in convictions. Two brothers estimated that Hart sexually assaulted them between 400 and 750 times over a four- or five-year period. The hearing also included expert testimony. A court-appointed examiner, Dr. Harry Hoberman, and respondent's expert, Dr. Douglas Fox, recommended that Hart be committed to the Minnesota Security Hospital. A second court-appointed examiner, Dr. John Austin, recommended against commitment. These experts provided extensive testimony on the relevant commitment factors.

Hart committed hundreds of sexual assaults on at least ten young boys. He is a patterned sex offender whose victims are boys ages eight to fifteen. Hart repeatedly fondled, performed oral sex or made boys perform it on him, and performed anal intercourse. He used isolation, bribes, threats, force, and alcohol to commit these acts. Hart was often under the influence of chemicals during these assaults. Hart has refused treatment, has no relapse prevention plan, and minimizes his role in his sexual misconduct. Hart's problems are longstanding; he began drinking heavily at age six and was placed in residential treatment at age nine, where he was forcibly sodomized.

http://mn.findacase.com/research/wfrmDocViewer.aspx/xq/fac.19960220_0003.mn.htm/qx

DAH would have been 42 years old at the time Jacob was abducted. The one pic I have of him from the 60's is average height, average weight with dark hair. I wonder why he was ruled out. He was not in prison or committed at the time of Jacob's abduction.

DAH would have been 42 years old at the time Jacob was abducted. The one pic I have of him from the 60's is average height, average weight with dark hair. I wonder why he was ruled out. He was not in prison or committed at the time of Jacob's abduction.

Jbrown.....is it possible for you to post that pic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frankiterranova