MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"

-George Santayana

I was re-reading posts from Oct 2013 and looking at the great work of Tracker. And I have this question

Do you think it is possible that the tire track that Tracker stated believes belongs to a 50's style tire, could actually be the front tire of a three tire golf cart.

Typically the front tire has that style of tread.
A golf cart would be light in weight.
If it were electric it would be nearly silent in operation.
There would be no doors to open/close.
There would be no engine to start.

Just throwing ideas out there.

Does anyone have any evidence that an article from a 1987 issue of the Paynesville Press mentioned five other cases of assaults on young boys? <modsnip>

If you thought a group of thieves was on your property at night and stealing INEXPENSIVE items, would you turn on the light to scare them away or walk outside in the dark with the a group of thieves?

Dan Rassier per Joy's blog:
"He&#8217;s concerned that people are stealing wood, so he decides to investigate further and heads downstairs. He leaves the light off and steps outside."

Why did Dan mention this seemingly unimportant detail (not turning on the light)? Was he trying to hide from the police or pretend that he was still asleep?

I found this article in the archives of the Cold Spring Record, from February 7, 1989. I apologize for the poor quality of the scan.

A few new bits of info about Jared's abductor that I don't recall seeing before:
* Big nose
* Dark, rough skin
* Dark hair

By all accounts, Jared's abductor was driving a nearly new, or new, 4 door car. From Garber's book we know that the FBI arrested a man in connection to Jared's abduction. From the book we also know the man that was arrested had recently parted with the car he owned at the time of Jared's abduction, and that fibers from the back seat were similar to fibers from Jared's coat.

Some have speculated that the man arrested was Duane Allen Hart. But, could DAH, a man with multiple DWI's, afford a newer car?? Could he afford the insurance on a newer car, or even be insured at all? Seems very unlikely to me.

Could it have been a stolen car? And who was the man arrested in connection with Jared's abduction according to Garber? DAH? Or someone else?

Could it have been a stolen car? And who was the man arrested in connection with Jared's abduction according to Garber? DAH? Or someone else?

I don't think so, because it was said that a suspect was developed, and they found the car that the man owned at the time. Garber says he does not recall the name of the man arrested, and cannot recall whether it was DAH.

It could have been his mother's car? In his mother's obit, he was listed first with the same last name as her. Then other children with a different last name. Could he have been a child from a different relationship or adopted and therefore favored?

from the one old pic we have of DAH, he has dark hair and a rough complexion. And from the court document for involuntary commitment he is described as a very dangerous sexual predator. I am leaning towards him for Jared. Is he the same person who took Jacob? Not sure.

See attached article from January 30, 1990. The 1987 assaults are referenced here, in the article "Belgrade Man Arrested….".

Thanks, ELOC, I knew I'd seen that article in some paper.

Wow, according to that article a man came forward who DAH had molested "27 years ago" - DAH was born in 1947, so he was only 16 when he molested that male. I think he had plenty of earlier sex offenses and they just hadn't discovered them all yet in 1990.

It could have been his mother's car? In his mother's obit, he was listed first with the same last name as her. Then other children with a different last name. Could he have been a child from a different relationship or adopted and therefore favored?

The other children are a married daughter, her husband and their children

from the one old pic we have of DAH, he has dark hair and a rough complexion. And from the court document for involuntary commitment he is described as a very dangerous sexual predator. I am leaning towards him for Jared. Is he the same person who took Jacob? Not sure.

IIRC, Jared was approached by the perp and was asked for directions. Jared said that he looked at line ups that included DAH. But , no recognition, apparently.

From the obit of DAH mother, she had a menial job. The husband/father was not even listed so it appears that he was not someone that was loved or appreciated in the family, I am guessing the mother had no means of having a car. And it is possible that she did not know how to drive.

DAH worked menial jobs and spent money on booze and drugs. Doesn't leave much for a car, does it?

I'm not sure about DAH being Jared's abductor, if Jared never recognized him in police line ups, because he would have seen his abductor's face when the man stopped to ask for directions. Also, I don't think DAH would have had that big fear of being recognized either. Not like say, a teacher at a local school, or a priest, or a counselor - anyone well known in the community would.

IIRC, Jared was approached by the perp and was asked for directions. Jared said that he looked at line ups that included DAH. But , no recognition, apparently.

From the obit of DAH mother, she had a menial job. The husband/father was not even listed so it appears that he was not someone that was loved or appreciated in the family, I am guessing the mother had no means of having a car. And it is possible that she did not know how to drive.

DAH worked menial jobs and spent money on booze and drugs. Doesn't leave much for a car, does it?

DAH became a foster child of a Paynesville man at the age of 15. Hart was kicked out of the St. Cloud Children's Home and another foster home before the Paynesville man became his foster father. So it's possible, maybe even likely that Hart was not even in his mother's life in 1989.

Thanks, ELOC, I knew I'd seen that article in some paper.

Wow, according to that article a man came forward who DAH had molested "27 years ago" - DAH was born in 1947, so he was only 16 when he molested that male. I think he had plenty of earlier sex offenses and they just hadn't discovered them all yet in 1990.

Actually, this makes perfect sense!!!

Hart was expelled from a special education course at Paynesville High School when he was 16 or 17, according to his foster father at the time. The foster father didn't learn until years afterward that it was for sexual misconduct with another boy.

Here is a better view from current maps of the location of the woods and the Schreifels' property.

AbductionArea.jpg

Close-up of Urban Schreifel's property - note the neatly tilled garden.

Close-upSchreifelsLand.jpg

So the boys probably said they were in front of Schreifels' home because there was just woods on the East side of the road back in 1989. The Rassier farm is so far back and behind trees, that the boys may have just thought of that as farm fields.

Hmmmmm…...I wonder if this could be the woods that the boy scouts were camping in the night before Jacob's abduction? The presence of a group of young boys may have "excited" a pedophile if they knew the boys were there. That could also explain the next night why someone might have been exploring that side of the road, and hence the "noise that shouldn't be there" that Aaron Larson heard??

So i keep thinking about Jared and how his attacker said that he was running late for an appointment at The Red Carpet.

The phrasing of this seems peculiar to me, why would anyone phrase it as an appointment at a bar/nightclub?

So I did some google searches for The Red Carpet in St. Cloud in 1989 and I stumbled upon a movie released in October of 1989 titled Catch Me if You Can.

This movie was filmed in location in St. Cloud and it does have a scene at The Red Carpet.

A search for the movie brought me to Youtube. The film is up in entirety on Youtube.

Here is the link to the beginning of the scene at The Red Carpet.

http://youtu.be/oUZokQ971f8?t=38m50s

Has this been discussed before? I tried doing a search but didn't find anything.

s

Duane Allen Hart is a Fixated Preferential Child Molester (like Jerry Sandusky).
http://www1.csbsju.edu/uspp/CrimPsych/CPSG-6.htm
He is a sicko who buys children toys and booze (grooms them). Then he molests them. He isn't the type of monster that murders or "disappears" children according to FBI's profile (created from collecting data for decades). He is listed as a dangerous sexual predator because he is a repeat sex offender, not because he is psychopathic or homicidal.
http://mn.fndacase.com/research/wfrmDocViewer.aspx/xq/fac.19960220_0003.mn.htm/qx

Pensfan
verified psychiatric mental health nurse

I found this article in the archives of the Cold Spring Record, from February 7, 1989. I apologize for the poor quality of the scan.

A few new bits of info about Jared's abductor that I don't recall seeing before:
* Big nose
* Dark, rough skin
* Dark hair

By all accounts, Jared's abductor was driving a nearly new, or new, 4 door car. From Garber's book we know that the FBI arrested a man in connection to Jared's abduction. From the book we also know the man that was arrested had recently parted with the car he owned at the time of Jared's abduction, and that fibers from the back seat were similar to fibers from Jared's coat.

Some have speculated that the man arrested was Duane Allen Hart. But, could DAH, a man with multiple DWI's, afford a newer car?? Could he afford the insurance on a newer car, or even be insured at all? Seems very unlikely to me.
What was the date of arrest for Jared's abductor/molestor (from Garber's book)? tia

So i keep thinking about Jared and how his attacker said that he was running late for an appointment at The Red Carpet.

The phrasing of this seems peculiar to me, why would anyone phrase it as an appointment at a bar/nightclub?

So I did some google searches for The Red Carpet in St. Cloud in 1989 and I stumbled upon a movie released in October of 1989 titled Catch Me if You Can.

This movie was filmed in location in St. Cloud and it does have a scene at The Red Carpet.

A search for the movie brought me to Youtube. The film is up in entirety on Youtube.

Here is the link to the beginning of the scene at The Red Carpet.

http://youtu.be/oUZokQ971f8?t=38m50s

Has this been discussed before? I tried doing a search but didn't find anything.

I love that movie. We have it on old VHS and I keep meaning to get it on DVD. It's fun to watch because I recognize so many places around town. It was the first movie Steven Sommers directed. (He went on to do The Mummy and other more famous movies.)

It would be interesting if the abductor was involved with or acting in the movie. I'll have to check the case and see who is listed as actors and if any of the names sound like any we have discussed.

It could have been someone who had an appt. to interview for a job at The Carpet also. That statement has always seemed strange to me also. Why would you tell a boy you had just assaulted where you were going next? Unless his purpose was to mislead about where he was really going?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crazythunder