MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh? I am from Minnesota and we have talked about such charmers as the Hubers and DAH.

Actually, Minnesota has an incredibly high rate but it is thought because people report more than in other states.

I believe we are third in the US for alcoholism which is correlated with sexual assaults.

I think if you look at the voting record of Minnesota, conservative are not us, but there certainly are a lot of conservatives prosecuted for sex crimes.

The 6th district, which is mostly Stearns County, is indeed very conservative. The rest of the state, not so much. ;-) I'm not sure where you got your statistics on sex crimes being committed by "a lot of conservatives," or if that is just your opinion? But IMO, molesters come from various types of people.

What was tht guy who ran for Governor, was it? Jon somethng. The pedophile priests are conservative although not all Catholics that I know are conservative, so maybe some of the priests are not conservative?

The Catholic church in the last few years was conservative, but things seem to be changing with the new Pope and it was not true during the Vietnam era when some of the most outspoken were priests and nuns. Fether Berringer comes to mind and the Dorothy Day. Houses and Catholic Workers.

I was simoly responding to the comment that Minnesota is conservative which may be true for some areas. The writer implied conservatives do not do sex crimes. Of course they do. Just like you said. They come from everywhere.

I have been totally astounded by the amount of sex crimes in this state and the dysfunctional people living here. I pictured us as Lake Woebegone.

There were also those weird things at the Guthrie theater and of course, the sex abuse at Shattuck. Mind blowing

I'm from MN, and I would have to say rural MN is more conservative and the urban areas are more liberal. I live in an urban area. There are child molesters from all walks of life.

I was looking over Joy's blog and re-read some stuff. She came across an article from the Pioneer Press published in Nov 1989 which indicated the FBI was looking for 3 "suspicious vehicles" that were seen in the area of Jacob's abduction before or the day of the kidnapping. One in particluar was parked on 90th St and left when a neighbor approached:

(clipped by me from http://www.joybaker.com/category/jacob/ "The Suspcious Cars" blogpost)

"The first car is older. It is maroon – the color of a Minnesota State Trooper’s uniform – and has rectangular or square tail lights, and appears similar to a 1976 Pontiac Catalina. Like the other cars, its rear end was jacked up.

FBI agents said the car was seen on 90th Avenue near the Wetterling home about six weeks before Jacob’s abduction and again a week before he was kidnapped at gunpoint. On two occasions, the car was seen parked at night on 90th Avenue, but it left when a resident approached. The driver was seen once during daylight and a composite drawing was made based on that sighting."

the other two were a car that looked like a red Gremlin and a red-orange station wagon. Kevin was driving a Pontiac Grand Prix. They didn't get his info down, so they must have thought his car was commonly seen around town? Why then would he not know that DR's driveway was not a road.
This case is so confusing.

I don't see how these 2 guys they are pointing to in Paynesville could have anything to do with Jacob. Jacob's abduction was a crime of opportunity. If those guys or 1 of them noticed boys in the store, how did they know where they were going? They didn't know them and the area where they live is one way in and out. How could they guess that these boys would be passing DR's driveway on their way home? Plus they would have had to hide their car somewhere and go up DR's driveway not knowing if someone would come out at any minute. And if they hid their car, WHY would they take Jacob up the driveway. There is no evidence of another car. Plus there is having black pantyhose available and a coat on a warm night.

Any sleuthers care to show me how this would work? From the time the boys left the house to the time Jacob was abducted was around 45-60 minutes max. The first 20 were spent riding to the store. No cars passed them on the way there that weren't accounted for and zero cars passed them on the way home. 20-40 minutes to plan and execute the abduction at the last minute.

I'm from MN, and I would have to say rural MN is more conservative and the urban areas are more liberal. I live in an urban area. There are child molesters from all walks of life.

I was looking over Joy's blog and re-read some stuff. She came across an article from the Pioneer Press published in Nov 1989 which indicated the FBI was looking for 3 "suspicious vehicles" that were seen in the area of Jacob's abduction before or the day of the kidnapping. One in particluar was parked on 90th St and left when a neighbor approached:

(clipped by me from http://www.joybaker.com/category/jacob/ "The Suspcious Cars" blogpost)

"The first car is older. It is maroon – the color of a Minnesota State Trooper’s uniform – and has rectangular or square tail lights, and appears similar to a 1976 Pontiac Catalina. Like the other cars, its rear end was jacked up.

FBI agents said the car was seen on 90th Avenue near the Wetterling home about six weeks before Jacob’s abduction and again a week before he was kidnapped at gunpoint. On two occasions, the car was seen parked at night on 90th Avenue, but it left when a resident approached. The driver was seen once during daylight and a composite drawing was made based on that sighting."

Where is the composite drawing of the driver and what make/model/color was that particular car?

the composite sketch is on Joy's blog post titled "the suspicious cars" from my link above. The first paragraph that I quoted indicated it was a maroon Pontiac Catalina.

However, on the blog Kevin's girlfriend claims the car he was driving was hers, a grand prix. This kind of car looks a lot like a Catalina and the 1977 and 76 Grang Prix models had the small back "opera" window and white top. Headlights were square in a row to look rectangular. Tail lights were rectangular.

I don't see how these 2 guys they are pointing to in Paynesville could have anything to do with Jacob. Jacob's abduction was a crime of opportunity. If those guys or 1 of them noticed boys in the store, how did they know where they were going? They didn't know them and the area where they live is one way in and out. How could they guess that these boys would be passing DR's driveway on their way home? Plus they would have had to hide their car somewhere and go up DR's driveway not knowing if someone would come out at any minute. And if they hid their car, WHY would they take Jacob up the driveway. There is no evidence of another car. Plus there is having black pantyhose available and a coat on a warm night.

Any sleuthers care to show me how this would work? From the time the boys left the house to the time Jacob was abducted was around 45-60 minutes max. The first 20 were spent riding to the store. No cars passed them on the way there that weren't accounted for and zero cars passed them on the way home. 20-40 minutes to plan and execute the abduction at the last minute.

All we can do is agree with you because we dont have those answers, its too convincing. Another thing we rarely include or discuss though is the fact that trevor heard a rustling in the weeds on the way to the store, was it just a deer or possibly the abductor, imo its DR.

Kevin said the car he was driving was tan/silver. He also said his brother and sister in law were in a "jacked up ford truck". FBI says the 3 suspcious vehicles were "jacked up" in the rear". DR says he saw an "amber colored Monte Carlo" (similar to a grand prix)driving like a "bat out of Hell" and a small dark compact car. Joy asked Kevin if he had been driving crazy in DR's driveway, and he said no.

If Kevin's car looked like the suspicious vehicle seen parked in Jacob's neighborhood a few weeks before the abduction, a similar car was seen in DR's driveway the day of the abduction, and he admitted to driving in the driveway, how did they dismiss Kevin's story so quickly? MOO. He also got to the abduction site before the police? Odd.

All we can do is agree with you because we dont have those answers, its too convincing. Another thing we rarely include or discuss though is the fact that trevor heard a rustling in the weeds on the way to the store, was it just a deer or possibly the abductor, imo its DR.

Just to clarify, I believe it was Aaron that heard the noise.

Just to clarify, I believe it was Aaron that heard the noise.

What's your theory on what happened that night. I think DR did it and have an idea of how I think it went down. It works timewise and it makes sense. What is your theory and why do you discount DR as the perpetrator.

If Kevin's car looked like the suspicious vehicle seen parked in Jacob's neighborhood a few weeks before the abduction, a similar car was seen in DR's driveway the day of the abduction, and he admitted to driving in the driveway, how did they dismiss Kevin's story so quickly? MOO. He also got to the abduction site before the police? Odd.

He was with a group of people who likely confirmed his story. Simple. And he got to the abduction site before the cops because the cops went to Jacob's neighbor's house 1st to interview kids. Stupidly, nobody secured the crime scene immediately and Kevin was able to drive through.

I think human predators operate the same way animal predators operate. One tried and true method is to observe the target and try to anticipate the route the target will be taking. Then, along that projected route, determine the best "attack" spot. Sometimes the prey will take a different route, and the predator will go home hungry.

We do not know that no other cars passed the boys . I doubt they would have paid much attention if a car passed them earlier. A predator driving around St Joseph may have noticed them going to the store and figured they would be going back the way they came soon. We have no idea where they were spotted but they predator needed a spot where he could conceal himself and, more importantly, where he could conceal his vehicle IF HE HAD ONE.

Since the route was generally level, clear and with development up to Dale st, the perp may have had limited choices where to make his move. He may not have been certain the boys would pass that spot.

It is possible that the perp left a car at or near the Del-Win. It was about 1/2 mile away (just a guess). A bit of a walk but it would take less than 10 minutes and a car leaving that area wouldn't attract any attention.

I know one of the boys heard "sounds" in the area where the abduction occurred on the way to the store, but it seems unlikely that any predator was "lying in wait" at the time.

Police and FBI have ruled out a car being involved. No one listens to DRs stories about all the cars driving crazy because he made them up. If people were drivingcrazy there would be gravel thrown all over and obvious tracks. No car.

I don't have a lot of faith in Joy Baker. She had been talking with DR for months and has ruled him out. There are rumors that the 2 are related, don't know if it's true or not but she is definately a Dan fan.

Police and FBI have ruled out a car being involved. No one listens to DRs stories about all the cars driving crazy because he made them up. If people were drivingcrazy there would be gravel thrown all over and obvious tracks. No car.

I don't have a lot of faith in Joy Baker. She had been talking with DR for months and has ruled him out. There are rumors that the 2 are related, don't know if it's true or not but she is definately a Dan fan.

We must be leary of what DR did to Joy Baker. He contacted her and now she's on his side. Human posted some psychology about this a few pages back, if he is the abductor, it makes sense.

Any reference to the FBI going on record as ruling out a "car being involved"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michelemelton03