MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are other prints in one of the first videos recently posted on here. They show plaster casts being made.

Thanks human, would you mind reposting the link? I totally missed it unless you're talking about the video I looked at. I'll look again and see if I can see them. In either case, would you agree those prints are not as pronounced as JEW's? I could clearly see the latter in the video in a walking progression down the road, left-right.

If Jacob was trying to use his weight plus gravity to get away from the abductor he would have been pressing hard down into the ground. This may have been just before he was either picked up and tossed in the car, or picked up and carried off somewhere (to a car or other area). (JMO)

Hi Shergal,

Excellent observation, but I'm not sure the physics works that way. If JEW collapsed or dropped as in a struggle, it would momentarily decrease his gravitational acceleration. When he reached his lowest point to the ground, it might deepen the print by a very small amount. Only by accelerating upward would it really increase the depth of the print.

On the other hand, if in a struggle and he pushed at some angle to gravity, the print would be smudged. It does appear to be a clean print, at least in the toe section of the print.

Taking the final alternative, he could have pushed upward against resistance, but this seems unlikely to me.

~ mvh

Thank you cGorg,
Some followups:
1. The link to the full 12 minute 911 tape is apparently gone. Does anyone have a current link to that?
2. What Rassier vehicles were on the Rassier property the night of the abduction. Make/Model/Year ?
Thanks in advance again,
~ svh

The audio link to the 911 call is no longer online. But here is the transcript originally made by our poster JBrown324320. (I have separated the 911 operator and Merle/Trevor so it is easier to read.)

Here is the transcript of the 911 call.

911 emergency
This is Merlin Jerzak from *advertiser censored* Kiwi Court in St Joe, right in the Township. I am right now next door to my neighbor’s, at my neighbors, the Jerry Wetterling family. Some of their boys went down to Tom Thumb to pick up a movie and on their way back, someone stopped them and uh, we believe that they have one of the boys because one of the boys did not come back with them.
Ok, were they picked up in a vehicle?
Pardon I can’t hear you?
Were they picked up in a vehicle?
Just a second, I will ask (asks boys). They didn’t see a vehicle. This person appeared on the road, uh, when they were bicycling back home.
OK, and they don’t know where their brother and friend is at?
They don’t know where their brother and friend is at.
OK, so we are missing two people?
Just missing one.
One? OK. Did they see the individuals at all?
Yes they did (asks the boys). He had a mask on.
He had a mask on?
Right.
The other dispatch right now is dispatching a squad to where you are at right now, OK? In the meantime I just want to get as much information as I can. What is your name again sir?
My name is Merlin Jerzak (spells name).
OK, what is your home phone number Merlin? I have where you are at and everything.
(Gives home phone #), but I am at my neighbor’s…
and that’s Dr. Jerry Wetterling?
That is Dr Jerry Wetterling.
How old is the individual that has not returned?
(asks boys how old Jacob is). Eleven.
Ok, Jacob, it’s Jacob, right?
Yes, Jacob, Jacob Wetterling.
OK, what was Jacob last seen wearing?
(asks the boys). Just a minute. OK. He was wearing a red hockey jacket that had “police department” on it. And it has his name on it.
Police department written on back?
(asks boys to confirm) Police department on back. In white letters.
In white letters. Where was the last contact made?
Pardon?
Where was the last time they seen Jacob? Where were they at about?
(asks boys) It was, uh, right at the, uh, Urban Schriefels, uh, house.
OK, give me an idea where that is.
Do you know where Dr. Cotton’s office is? Yes, it’s, uh, about approximately a quarter of a mile up, ah, South from the clinic.
OK, it would be about a quarter of a mile up South of? Dr. Cotton and child clinic. Hang on a second, OK? (relays all info gathered to dispatch party: male party did have a mask on … 11 year old Jacob. wearing red hockey jacket with white lettering on back, “police department” across the back).
Was Jacob riding a bike?
(asks boys). Yeah, he was riding his ten speed bike.
(operator relays info over scanner: no vehicle was seen, party approached them on foot, was riding bike, not known where bicycle is at this time. He made contact with individual approximately 1/2 mile south of Dr. Cotton’s dental clinic on 95th Ave. Where are the boys at this time? XXXX Kiwi Ct. - gives address and directions to Wetterling’s house.)
Can you? Merlin?
Yeah.
Give me information on this guy with the mask? I want color, anything those kids can remember.
OK by the way, I don’t have a house number on my house.
You are at the neighbors place though right?
I am at the Wetterlings. I have a fire number. My fire number is *advertiser censored* and theirs is, uh. I am right next door, and mine is *advertiser censored*.
Do the Wetterling’s have a house number on there?
No they don’t, but they are right next door to mine. Um, I think that my best bet is to let Trevor get on the phone here and he can describe to you what he saw and this type of thing.
OK, hang on just a second (talks about fire numbers and location) OK, I am ready.
OK, I will put Trevor on and he can, he can answer your questions.
OK.
We have him pretty well calmed down here.
OK. Hello? Trevor?
Yeah.
You are talking to the sheriff’s office, ok?
Mmhmm.
I want you to give me anything you can recall about this male party that approached you guys, ok?
Well, he was, he was like, kind of, he was like a man. He was kind of like…
He was large?
Sort of.
OK.
He had like, uh, kind of like looks like these nylon things, as a mask.
Do you know what color it was?
Black.
A black mask? Do you know what color jacket he had on?
I think it was black too.
Ok. Did you notice any jeans or anything?
Yeah, just a second (asking others inaudible)
Trevor, do you know what happened to your friend’s bicycle?
Um no, we don’t know.
Nobody knows what happened to that?
Cause we had to just like run off into the woods.
OK, you guys ran off into the woods but nobody knows what happened to Jacob, right?
Yeah.
OK. Can you think of anything else? Did the guy have…
What?
Did the guy have like a deep voice or anything like that you could remember?
(Trevor asks others) It was like he had a cold.
OK, can you tell me, how big, compared to your dad or somebody how big would you say this guy was.
He was about the size of Merle, the guy you were just talking to.
OK, same height, same weight?
Yeah.
OK. Do you remember, and he had on a black mask and a black jacket. Do you know if the jacket was leather or nylon, did it have anything written on it?
We couldn’t tell because it was so dark.
OK. Can I talk to Merlin again real quick? Thank you.
Yes?
Merlin, how big are you?
(laughs) OK, uh I am about 195 pounds and 5’10”.
I know that’s hard for kids to pinpoint, but I have to try to figure out who he looks like. I am keeping you guys on hold because I am trying to talk to the officers at the same time, OK? So hang on just a second. (describes perpetrator over dispatch radio mask, approximately 195 pounds, 5’10” wearing a black mask and a black jacket).
Your number is Adam John, right? AJ?
Pardon?
Your fire number is AJ XX?
Right. (Merlin talks to boys - did the guy tell you guys to run into the woods?)
Where are the woods at that the kids ran into?
OK, it is a little bit to the south of Urban Schriefel’s, um, house. And, um ah, it runs for about a quarter of a mile west.
OK, I am hoping if Jacob would have ran into the woods or something if would have gotten lost or something. Do they know if he actually had contact with Jacob or anything like that?
Yes, they just told me that the guy had a hold of Jacob and told them to run into the woods.
Told the other two boys to run into the woods. Did they see any weapons at all or anything like that? Guns? Knives?
He had a pistol.
(operator relays info to police radio individual did have some type of hand gun). Can I talk to Trevor again?
Yes, hold on.
OK.
Hello?
Trevor, did you see the gun the individual had?
Um, we couldn’t really see it, but we just, we sort of fell?? / felt it?? (Can't hear last part)
OK, did he threaten you..? (Cut off) OK, do you guys see squad cars outside the residence?
Um, what?
There should be a squad…, can I talk to Merlin again?
Yeah, I think the squad is at my house.
Is it far? OK, can you guys open up the door and yell out to them.
Yeah.
OK I will tell them to go…, are you north or which direction are you from where the spot is?
Um, South. Hold on.
Merlin? (relays info about address on police radio).
I got officer Bechtold in the house.
OK. He is going to finish off the call from that end now, OK? More than likely we will be coming out with some dogs and stuff, OK?
OK, good. Thank you very much.
OK.

(Dr. Cotton's office was originally at the end of 95th/16th when you turned south from Minnesota Street to go toward the abduction spot. It is now a block further west.)

Thanks human, would you mind reposting the link? I totally missed it unless you're talking about the video I looked at. I'll look again and see if I can see them. In either case, would you agree those prints are not as pronounced as JEW's? I could clearly see the latter in the video in a walking progression down the road, left-right.

I do not know how to find it easily, but it would be in the discussion after the latest info .Maybe a couple of pages back?

I do not know how to find it easily, but it would be in the discussion after the latest info .Maybe a couple of pages back?

Thanks human, I did find it. I can see the prints and they do look fainter than JEW's. I'm thinking this is because of an unusual combination of footwear and physiology. I'll hold that thought until there is more info to support it, but it seems like the simplest explanation so far. JEW was wearing what I think were hard "rubber-like" high tops and, given his age, may have still had a small foot. This would concentrate his weight in a smaller area with footwear that doesn't "give" as easily. If you've ever seen high heel marks on a dirt road, a very light girl can leave very distinct marks. It's all about area and pressure, imo.

The audio link to the 911 call is no longer online. But here is the transcript originally made by our poster JBrown324320. (I have separated the 911 operator and Merle/Trevor so it is easier to read.)

Thank you so much for taking the time to format all that and post. I have so many questions!

I see the dogs must have arrived fairly soon. I'm wondering if we have a more exact time for their arrival? Also, and it may sound like a weird question, but does anyone know what time the first helicopter reached the vicinity of the Rassier property? I would guess it was somewhere between 100 and 1000 feet, but who knows? I'm also curious about the police searching along the wood pile. I wonder what made them go that way?

I've asked around about NG helicopters and I'm told it was likely what they called a UH-1 Huey. Seemingly irrelevant but I think it actually could be. Maybe a State police helicopter got there first, dunno.

I think based on the driveway alone, we've got two simplest choices: a conditioned runner or Kevin & Co. I think the runner requires one or two extra assumptions, but I think that can change when we look beyond the initial abduction moment. Still new to this case so please bear with me.

~ svh

btw, someone asked about where I heard that the scent went beyond the tracks. Apparently an LE person slipped this out in one of the news stories that was posted way back earlier in these threads, between parts 1 and 4. He said the tracks stopped and the scent went a little further, or words to that effect. This is still, imo, a crucial thing to verify. Was the dog circling (just means he was trying to reacquire the scent) or was it forward progression? Was it lateral to the driveway?

I've created a photobucket account (under shergal1) that is public and solely for this board, so that anyone here can go look at pictures. I made screen captures of the various footprints and casts made from that video with the faded Jacob pic on it. You can click on the pics and zoom in so they can be larger than I can make them here on WS (without blowing margins). ;)

There are several shots of Jacob's footprint, plus some others near his. Trackergd had noted there were horse hoof prints on some of those pics, so some may be from after Steve Mund made the casts.

There are also 3 articles there about the Huber Trial that I got from a paid subscription, and thus have no link. So I made them into photos so I could link to them here.

You should just be able to click here and view library. And zoom in on individual pictures by clicking on them.

http://s100.photobucket.com/user/shergal1/library/?sort=4&page=1

Good point. Knowing that the source has a penchant for hidden meaning - do the numbers on the plate represent something significant?? Inmate number? Years? Map coordinates? etc?

Mugshots.com ID: 20898028
Name: DELBERT EDWIN HUBER
DOB: 6/21/1930
OID Number: 238867
Current

It is DH OID number from mugshots.com
Stands for Offender Identification

Thank you so much for taking the time to format all that and post. I have so many questions!

I see the dogs must have arrived fairly soon. I'm wondering if we have a more exact time for their arrival? Also, and it may sound like a weird question, but does anyone know what time the first helicopter reached the vicinity of the Rassier property? I would guess it was somewhere between 100 and 1000 feet, but who knows? I'm also curious about the police searching along the wood pile. I wonder what made them go that way?

I've asked around about NG helicopters and I'm told it was likely what they called a UH-1 Huey. Seemingly irrelevant but I think it actually could be. Maybe a State police helicopter got there first, dunno.

I think based on the driveway alone, we've got two simplest choices: a conditioned runner or Kevin & Co. I think the runner requires one or two extra assumptions, but I think that can change when we look beyond the initial abduction moment. Still new to this case so please bear with me.

~ svh

btw, someone asked about where I heard that the scent went beyond the tracks. Apparently an LE person slipped this out in one of the news stories that was posted way back earlier in these threads, between parts 1 and 4. He said the tracks stopped and the scent went a little further, or words to that effect. This is still, imo, a crucial thing to verify. Was the dog circling (just means he was trying to reacquire the scent) or was it forward progression? Was it lateral to the driveway?

We have a timeline here (made by cGorg) and open to change, but it gives times we do know for sure so far. I believe the helicopters got there at 10 pm, they rerouted a state police one, I believe.

(This can be found on the FIRST page of every thread, BTW. It also contains case facts and our who's who.)
MN MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, 22 Oct 1989 ***CASE FACTS***NO DISCUSSION*** - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

I guess that didn't have much in it for helicopter time, but hopefully ELOC will post, he has the correct time of helicopter arrival, I think.

I've created a photobucket account (under shergal1) that is public and solely for this board, so that anyone here can go look at pictures. I made screen captures of the various footprints and casts made from that video with the faded Jacob pic on it. You can click on the pics and zoom in so they can be larger than I can make them here on WS (without blowing margins). ;)

There are several shots of Jacob's footprint, plus some others near his. Trackergd had noted there were horse hoof prints on some of those pics, so some may be from after Steve Mund made the casts.

There are also 3 articles there about the Huber Trial that I got from a paid subscription, and thus have no link. So I made them into photos so I could link to them here

You should just be able to click here and view library. And zoom in on individual pictures by clicking on them.

Wow sher. Excellent! The footprints are really weird. They make no sense

Shergal, WOW, thank you! Given that this is all of, like, 9 posts for me, this is the proverbial no comment moment. Oh, okay, a little ;-)

I'm going to try to catch up on the threads and see what is known about Kevin & Co. For now, I'll just note what I see as most likely, anyway:

1. There were not less than 3 people present at the moment of JEW's last print.
2. JEW was lifted vertically to a height exceeding what he himself could reach.
3 JEW was cooperating but not willing.
4. A car was present and the car doors were never opened.
5. The hoof prints and other markers all show a temporal ordering suggesting their relative impression times.

Maybe that's all wrong, but that is what I see. That is my first impression. So, I have a conundrum. And it is a somber moment when the crime scene first reveals a psychological feature of the victim.

~ mvh

ELOCsoul, was this your timeline?

9:45-10-Kevin + girlfriend(and friends hear scanner + see police cars go by). Since they live relatively close(not verified yet) they make it to the abduction site prior to LE, drive ALL the way through DR's farmstead driveway. Smokey does not bark(explanation anywhere for this?) Kevin drives to Tom Thumb, sees 'medical cop', then notices LE squad car at Cotton Dentist office, talks to him, cop says 'we know about the bikes'

Is this Officer Kevin was talking about the one for which no record could be found? Were there witnesses at Tom Thumb that saw Kevin there? Was the "medical cop" ever found? Thanks in advance
~ svh

Sigrun, I thought I read somewhere that it was the girlfriends mother whose house Kevin was at along with the girlfriends brother and wife, the lived on Minnesota Ave not far from Tom Thumb and Kevin actually had an apartment above or beside Kay's Restaurant.

Sorry Kay's kitchen not restaurant

Sigrun, I thought I read somewhere that it was the girlfriends mother whose house Kevin was at along with the girlfriends brother and wife, the lived on Minnesota Ave not far from Tom Thumb and Kevin actually had an apartment above or beside Kay's Restaurant.

Thank you, and that makes this very strange to me. Yes, exactly who was at the house? What are their full names (if we can ask that)? My first impression may be wrong, but it sure did leap out at me. What exactly is Kevin & Cos. alibi?

We should be looking for a runner or a pickup truck or open top car, imo.

~ svh

Does anyone know the route the boys took? Did it take them all the way up to Minnesota St (couldn't find an avenue)? Or did they cut across via Baker? Would Kevin et al know what neighborhood these boys originated from? Looking for the Kay's restaurant address now, thanks again,

~ svh

There are also 3 articles there about the Huber Trial that I got from a paid subscription, and thus have no link. So I made them into photos so I could link to them here.

There is no footprints of the perpetrator entering a vehicle. Its only of a person walking behind Jacob and then pulling him back into the ditch and into the farm. If a vehicle is involved the footprints I'm looking for have to exist and they aren't there. DR had been aware of "lovers lane" all his life, he knew to make it look like Jacob was taken from there in a vehicle.

Did you mean Kay's Kitchen? If so, that is apparently where the boy whose jacket was ripped off was attacked, but I haven't found the street address yet.

~ svh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members