MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely Jared has been aware of DR as a POI. One would think Jared would have identified DR's voice and/or mannerisms, yet, to my knowledge, Jared has not suggested DR as his abductor.

As to DR abducting Josh G as he was running, are we to believe he abducted Josh w/o a vehicle?

Surely Jared has been aware of DR as a POI. One would think Jared would have identified DR's voice and/or mannerisms, yet, to my knowledge, Jared has not suggested DR as his abductor.

As to DR abducting Josh G as he was running, are we to believe he abducted Josh w/o a vehicle?

IMO, Jacob's case was different. I have never thought DR was associated with either Jared's case of Josh G's. case.

Isn't it possible that another car drove in there before Kevin? I don't think it's that odd that the tire prints would have been in almost the same spot, you usually drive in the same area as everyone else on a road. (There would have been at least 2 sets of tire prints anyway if Kevin drove all the way in and then back out.) Jacob's shoe print could have been digging into the driveway from when he resisted getting into the abductor's car. What if Kevin then drove through afterwards and drove over the abductor's tire prints? I think there are still several scenarios possible here. Jacob could have just been forcibly picked up at that spot and carried towards the wood pile and through or along the edge of the woods (by someone familiar with the area) back to a road near the DelWin ballroom. And put in a car left back there.

I don't see ANY abductor (DR or otherwise) stopping and making a print with Jacob's shoe. The abductor's own shoes would have left a print as he walked up to do that. (And Kevin wouldn't have driven through yet - unless the abductor was waiting with Jacob behind the log pile hoping someone would drive into the driveway?) If the abductor was someone there visiting DR, he could have knocked Jacob out and stashed him somewhere and moved him later. IMO, the prints on the road are not enough evidence to rule in or out any scenario.

Shergal,

It is very possible that Kevin completely contaminated the scene, and that's all I'll say. But I have to say that driveway does look pretty revealing, and in the videos the sheriff and patty seemed confident they could at that point (in 2004) rule any vehicle used out.

Has anyone looked at the video of the plaster casts of footprints?

Are they of the perp or Jacob?

Has anyone looked at the video of the plaster casts of footprints?

Are they of the perp or Jacob?

I thought they might be of both? But not sure. We were only told the final "digging in" footprint was Jacob's. I did make some screen caps from the video of prints at various angles, haven't had time to sharpen them up yet.

"We are all behind you, Jacob. We want you to know how much we care. Jacob, you have brought us all closer together. We will not forget you"

St. Cloud Times editor John Bodette, October 28, 1989

BCA Effort Underway to ID Dozens of Human Remains
There is a renewed effort on identifying the 171 remains of missing found in Minnesota now with increased funding. Video and story at link.

http://kstp.com/news/stories/s3050958.shtml

The Missing from MN:
https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/bca/bc...ative/Pages/missing-unidentified-persons.aspx

Here is an update about one of the missing people on that list - missing since 1989 from Maple Grove. Looks like another case that was close to "home".

http://kstp.com/news/stories/s3440542.shtml

The amount of publicity Jacob's case received vs that of Amy's is astounding. They were only a few months apart.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The amount of publicity Jacob's case received vs that of Amy's is astounding. They were only a few months apart.

Patty Wetterling is just very publically involved in her sons abduction. That is nearly impossible for other parents in cases like this. What she has done has helped find kids who go missing, prevent kids from going missing, and making the public much more aware of possible dangers.

I understand and agree, Sas. Jacob's case was the first missing persons situation that I recall ever being hugely publicized. It seems now that it is the standard approach, if you will. Both are heartbreaking.

Patty Wetterling is just very publically involved in her sons abduction. That is nearly impossible for other parents in cases like this. What she has done has helped find kids who go missing, prevent kids from going missing, and making the public much more aware of possible dangers.

Plus, in Amy's case, the family was never cleared. (In no way am I accusing her family.) Jacob's was clearly a non-family abduction.

No 1. I'm thinking when DR walked Jacob back in the dead brown grass on the side of the driveway, that DR told Jacob to stop and take of his right shoe, he then went up and planted the print revealing every detail of the bottom of the shoe.

No 2. Like I had said in a previous post when Kevin comes into the driveway, when DR would have Jacob back in the farm already, it pissed him off but also gave him the idea to frame kevin for the abduction.

RBBM.

Nope. I would have been able to see that, even in the photograph. I have been doing this for over 40 years. I can't be fooled that easily. I can read things you don't even know to look for. Google print "pressure releases".

So the footprint was planted as if he was taken by a vehicle. I always said that we are dealing with very intelligent person in this case. And considering the footprint is found backwards from the point of abduction into the rassiers driveway, can anyone else on foot in town be responsible besides DR?

I can picture DR telling Jacob to twist his foot into the ground at that point in the driveway, he then lifts him up and backsteps into the grass.

I have tracked ex-military people who knew they were being followed that did not even think of concealing their prints. I would say the probability of an abductor attempting to create a false print field to be too low to calculate. That person would need to be a forensic expert.

As I noted, the print was deeper at the toe than at the heal with mounding on the sides meaning that Jacob was leaning forward, but not pushing off hard. Other than getting into the back of a vehicle, what other reason would he have for leaning forward? You are getting into a vehicle like an adult where you turn and sit down. My kids dove in and this would be even more applicable if he was told to lay down on the back seat, or if there was an associate grabbing his arm and pulling Jacob in.

Actually it was family friend Vern Iverson, and San Francisco's David Collins, that orchestrated the media blitz that followed Jacob's abduction. Collins primarily was involved in the distribution of mass mailings, and Iverson recruited the media.

Interestingly, it was actually Jerry Wetterling who took the lead early on after Jacob's abduction. Patty was certainly a factor as well, and has been the "face" of Jacob's case the last 24 1/2 years.

I have tracked ex-military people who knew they were being followed that did not even think of concealing their prints. I would say the probability of an abductor attempting to create a false print field to be too low to calculate. That person would need to be a forensic expert.

As I noted, the print was deeper at the toe than at the heal with mounding on the sides meaning that Jacob was leaning forward, but not pushing off hard. Other than getting into the back of a vehicle, what other reason would he have for leaning forward? You are getting into a vehicle like an adult where you turn and sit down. My kids dove in and this would be even more applicable if he was told to lay down on the back seat, or if there was an associate grabbing his arm and pulling Jacob in.

With all due respect, it looks as if the tire tracks do not stop or show any change other than driving straight through. Are you saying that another car drove the exact same route that Kevin did and that he overrode every tire track of Jacob's abductor all the way up and around and back down the driveway? This is impossible... I say if a vehicle was used it was a vehicle on DRs property, therefore the tire tracks would not stand out as being unusual. There is an incline down towards the DR home, possible vehicle was not even turned on or was turned on (no lights) and took 60 seconds to disappear into an outbuilding on DR property The driveway may not be visible from the road at that point and I'm sure the homeowner is aware of that. Plus isn't the field to the right of the driveway a corn field? It may have still been high in October. Any locals care to weigh in on that?

Also, it just occurred to me that DR took a bunch of boxes (musical instrument cases) out the very next morning when he was told to go around the crime scene in his car (after lifting up the crime scene tape and contaminating the scene.) Let's say DR did this, cleaned up some evidence overnight while cops were away from scene...I think the only thing that stayed at the scene in the early morning hours was the yellow crime scene tape and no cop. Perhaps DR knew that since cops didn't enter his house that night, they may be going in the next day during daylight and he needed to get rid of evidence (Jacob). Maybe Jacob was in that trunk hiding under instrument boxes as DR drove out of his driveway? Maybe he unloaded the instrument boxes and the trunk with Jacob's body into a storage area in the school? Surely, this would be a smart thing to do and reasonable to think the home and property would be searched the very next day since they weren't at night. When it became clear they were focusing on another suspect who drove away, he brought the chest back to the farm and disposed of Jacob in the firepit as much as he could before his parents came home. He certainly had plenty of time with nobody considering him a POI at the time. Did cops have cadaver dogs at the school when they pulled DR out of class and searched his car or was it just a visual search?

I don't believe Jared has said the DR did not commit his crime either which I find even more interesting. I don't think the 2 cases are related but I would have thought Jared would have come out and said that DR definitely wasn't the guy, especially early on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member