MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #9

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Simple question to answer. He saw them get on their bikes and start pedaling away from the house. Predators aren't successful all of the time. He must have seen them leave the property and had a 50/50 guess as to what direction they were headed.

He quickly pulled into DR's driveway and shutoff the lights to the vehicle. Next he maneuvered himself to the ditch, to potentially abduct them on their way to Tom Thumb, however he couldn't get in position fast enough and that would be the rustling Trevor heard. With time now on his side, and knowing the boys had to bike the same way back to their house, he had ample time for the ambush.

It's no different than Jared's case. He was out patrolling which predators are known to do. He missed on his first chance (rustling noises) and was able to setup for their return. With Jared's case he was just successful the first time.

I respect your thinking. However, given the nature of the area where the abduction occurred, it it extremely unlikely that it happened that way, IMO. If the man was patrolling the neighborhood and went into DR's driveway while the boys were on their way to the store, the boys would almost certainly have seen them.

If you have not already done so, I suggest driving by the abduction scene. From the Wetterling home, the view to DR's driveway is very clear. As dark as itvesd that night, any sort of lights would have stood out.

It's possible the perp saw the boys on the way to the store, but if he was in a car, he mist likely would have parked or driving in the area of Baker Street. All my opinion if course.

<modsnip> Dark 4 door blue cars were spotted at all abduction sites.

"On March 9, 1986, the police department received a report of a possible attempted child abduction. While walking near G&T Foods, a 12-year-old boy was asked if he wanted a ride, then asked if he wanted to go to &#8220;toyland&#8221;. The boy said &#8220;no&#8221; to both questions and continued walking. The suspect&#8217;s car was described as and old blue four-door, square in size."
http://www.joybaker.com/?s=blue+car

Jared's perp was driving a dark blue car, not light blue.

"The car used in the Cold Spring assault was described as being a dark blue, newer model four-door car similar to a Chevrolet Celebrity with light blue cloth seats, dark leather trim, automatic transmission (with shifter on the steering wheel) console and luggage rack. The back seat doors had child safety locks. There was also a portable police scanner (that resembled a big walkie talkie) sitting on the console between the front seats."
http://saintautumn.wordpress.com/2012/07/01/the-jacob-wetterling-abduction/

A couple of points about the cars. Dan says he saw a dark colored car, perhaps blue. Jared's perp was reported to be driving a light blue car. It was a four door.

Do you have proof that an area has more? The priests alone are a huge concentration.

The blue car---- where are the tracks?

Hm..Could DR have heard about it as he was a teacher in the area where Jared was taken? Hm hmhm

I am only going by all that Websleuths turned up in regards to pedophiles in the area. And the only person who saw the blue car on DR's driveway was DR who is also the only POI. The cops also stated that all tire tracks were accounted for which means no unknown car in driveway. It also means that DR lied about the blue car. Why would DR lie about a car in his driveway? Why would he state that it was a dark blue car? If he is lying he is guilty in my opinion.

And Findtim...I am agreeing with law enforcement's idea that DR is responsible and am looking at all the evidence which still points to him in my opinion.

The Wetterlings lived in a cul-de-sac, which is not in view from DR's driveway.

I respect your thinking. However, given the nature of the area where the abduction occurred, it it extremely unlikely that it happened that way, IMO. If the man was patrolling the neighborhood and went into DR's driveway while the boys were on their way to the store, the boys would almost certainly have seen them.

If you have not already done so, I suggest driving by the abduction scene. From the Wetterling home, the view to DR's driveway is very clear. As dark as itvesd that night, any sort of lights would have stood out.

It's possible the perp saw the boys on the way to the store, but if he was in a car, he mist likely would have parked or driving in the area of Baker Street. All my opinion if course.

How many of the priests at St. Johns had vehicles? My guess is not many.

It's quite plausible the blue car drove on ungrooved parts of the driveway. Remember, LE never took track samples from up near the house.

DR had no recorded history of ever being considered a pervert. I attended ROCORI Middle School, you didn't. Never, and I've spoken to many other people who went to RMS, has anyone ever considered DR a pervert or a pedophile. He was never seen in the boys shower rooms or bathrooms, places you would expect a Jerry Sandusky type person to be.

Your failure to analyze DR's complete history is the most compelling argument against your assertion that he's a suspect. Find me another case in any other abduction of a pre-teen boy where the perpetrator didn't show tendencies towards pedophilia? I'll await your submission.

Ted Bundy appeared very likeable and 'normal' to his co-workers and others close to him. He was a serial killer, remember? He went outside his close circle to perpetrate his crimes. Not uncommon, I could go on about others.

He is not the only POI. There were 3 POI's from the 1996 release.

"May 16, 1996: Search warrants authorities thought were sealed are released to the public. The warrants reveal three potential suspects authorities considered early in the investigation: A then 60-year-old St. Joseph-area man who confessed to the kidnapping one month after it occurred. The man was later eliminated as a suspect and moved to a nursing home because he suffered from Alzheimer’s disease. A St. Cloud State University student who was committed to a mental institution one week after Jacob’s abduction. The man later was eliminated as a suspect and killed himself in another state. A Paynesville-area man who fit the description of a man suspected of abducting and sexually assaulting a Cold Spring boy. Authorities searched his home three months after the Cold Spring abduction. Police then said that the man wasn’t a top suspect in the St. Joseph abduction, but at least one paragraph in the search warrant was blocked out."

I am only going by all that Websleuths turned up in regards to pedophiles in the area. And the only person who saw the blue car on DR's driveway was DR who is also the only POI. The cops also stated that all tire tracks were accounted for which means no unknown car in driveway. It also means that DR lied about the blue car. Why would DR lie about a car in his driveway? Why would he state that it was a dark blue car? If he is lying he is guilty in my opinion.

And Findtim...I am agreeing with law enforcement's idea that DR is responsible and am looking at all the evidence which still points to him in my opinion.

It's quite plausible the blue car drove on ungrooved parts of the driveway. Remember, LE never took track samples from up near the house.

DR had no recorded history of ever being considered a pervert. I attended ROCORI Middle School, you didn't. Never, and I've spoken to many other people who went to RMS, has anyone ever considered DR a pervert or a pedophile. He was never seen in the boys shower rooms or bathrooms, places you would expect a Jerry Sandusky type person to be.

Your failure to analyze DR's complete history is the most compelling argument against your assertion that he's a suspect. Find me another case in any other abduction of a pre-teen boy where the perpetrator didn't show tendencies towards pedophilia? I'll await your submission.

many priests at SJU had/have cars. Even the restricted ones.
Here's a story about a restricted priest going to Denny's alone:
http://www.behindthepinecurtain.com/wordpress/?s=priests+went+to+the+cities

Here is one about priests traveling to gay bars in the cities and bragging about it.
http://www.behindthepinecurtain.com/wordpress/decades-of-abuse-and-secrecy-at-st-johns-abbey/

The Wetterlings lived in a cul-de-sac, which is not in view from DR's driveway.

You can see flashlights coming from the Wetterling neighborhood in the dark. It is not far away and if he was outside, it would have been easy to see them. Google earth the area and you'll see a straight line of sight from DR farm to Wetterling neighborhood. DR driveway is on a slight incline on the way in and goes down after it reaches the woodpile.

I asked for pedophiles, not serial killers. Bundy also had tendencies and was caught not once, but twice.

Ted Bundy appeared very likeable and 'normal' to his co-workers and others close to him. He was a serial killer, remember? He went outside his close circle to perpetrate his crimes. Not uncommon, I could go on about others.

Google earth data is 25 years old and not relevant to 1989. And yes, it is far away, DR's driveway is nearly 1/4 long with a GIANT tree row in front of it. No chance he could see flashlight bobbing away.

You can see flashlights coming from the Wetterling neighborhood in the dark. It is not far away and if he was outside, it would have been easy to see them. Google earth the area and you'll see a straight line of sight from DR farm to Wetterling neighborhood.

Where is your proof that this area has a higher number? Circumstantial evidence is the same as your opinion.

Jared's abductor didn't wear a mask because he didn't have time to put one on. Plus, he was in a highly residential area, one that would lend suspicion to someone wearing a mask. His taking of Jared was completely happenstance and he needed to move quickly to secure Jared.

This same predator that abducted Jacob (IMO) happened upon them as well while out patrolling. He knew they would have to come back the same way and was able to park the vehicle, secure his face and wait. All these patterns are the same throughout the Paynesville/Cold Spring/St Joseph abductions. They were all happenstance with different time frames to prepare.

A blue 4 door car is consistant at all of these abduction sites. You seem to ignore this with your fascination with pinning DR at the site, even though he's a credible witness with ZERO history of child predation.

This makes no sense. If out patrolling would they park on an unknown driveway that appears like it could be a dirt road not knowing who would be driving down at any time and possibly getting caught? So you are saying this guy not only guesses which direction the kids are riding to/from but also taking a huge risk being on an unknown driveway. If same guy, why did he need a mask this time if he didn't know the kids and especially in the dark? And Jared was alone when he was assaulted, the Paynesville kids were not. Jacob certainly was not alone. Different MOs in my opinion.

Google earth data is 25 years old and not relevant to 1989. And yes, it is far away, DR's driveway is nearly 1/4 long with a GIANT tree row in front of it. No chance he could see flashlight bobbing away.

Wow, no chance if he was standing on his driveway or in the street? Sorry but you are not being realistic. Look at the pictures. He was probably outside when he spotted the flashlights.

Standing on the highest point of the DR driveway ( about halfway) and facing the street, the Wetterling neighborhood is on the left and the large group of trees are on your right as is the woodpile. There is a field in between. You should check it out.

I live in the area and have been to the Rasier farm before. You can't see anything from there house.

Standing on the highest point of the DR driveway ( about halfway) and facing the street, the Wetterling neighborhood is on the left and the large group of trees are on your right as is the woodpile. There is a field in between. You should check it out.

How doesn't it make any sense? The abductor took a far greater risk grabbing Jared on a much heavier trafficked road. I can tell you've never been to where Jared was abducted.

This makes no sense. If out patrolling would they park on an unknown driveway that appears like it could be a dirt road not knowing who would be driving down at any time and possibly getting caught? So you are saying this guy not only guesses which direction the kids are riding to/from but also taking a huge risk being on an unknown driveway. If same guy, why did he need a mask this time if he didn't know the kids and especially in the dark? And Jared was alone when he was assaulted, the Paynesville kids were not. Jacob certainly was not alone. Different MOs in my opinion.

Unfortunately that is where you're mistaken. People closer to the witnesses believe he's not. Jared and Patty, both who've forgotten more about these cases than anyone of us will ever know, both think all abductions are interconnected. And I'm not going to repost that, I posted their quotes earlier.

I am only going by all that Websleuths turned up in regards to pedophiles in the area.

"On March 9, 1986, the police department received a report of a possible attempted child abduction. While walking near G&T Foods, a 12-year-old boy was asked if he wanted a ride, then asked if he wanted to go to &#8220;toyland&#8221;. The boy said &#8220;no&#8221; to both questions and continued walking. The suspect&#8217;s car was described as and old blue four-door, square in size."

"The car used in the Cold Spring assault was described as being a dark blue, newer model four-door car similar to a Chevrolet Celebrity with light blue cloth seats, dark leather trim, automatic transmission (with shifter on the steering wheel) console and luggage rack. The back seat doors had child safety locks. There was also a portable police scanner (that resembled a big walkie talkie) sitting on the console between the front seats."

<modsnip> I will double check the news articles from 1989, but going from memory I believe that the Cold Spring case the car was described as light blue. If I'm wrong I will admit it.

However, one glaring difference between the cars is something you just pointed out. The 1986 case you reference here says the car was older. By all accounts, the blue car used in Jareds 1989 case was a newer car. If the 86 case car was "older" in 1986, it was certainly more old come 1989.

<modsnip> Below is a link to 3 articles that were printed in newspapers in 1989. One is from the St. Cloud Times, and two are from the Cold Spring Record. As you can see, the Times article refers to Jared's abductor's car as "blue." The two Cold Spring articles differ, in that one describes the car as light blue, and one describes the car as dark blue. Also, the 1987 abduction link you posted says it was an older car. These articles linked here say Jared's abductor's car was new or newer.

IMO, no one here is misrepresenting facts on purpose, they are just stating what they have read in media.

I have added the 3 newspaper scans to my photobucket sent to me by ELOC, who went to our local library and paid for scans of the archived articles. They are in the album right after the footprint pictures and are numbered J10, J11 and J12. Descriptions are under photos.

http://s100.photobucket.com/user/shergal1/library/?sort=4&page=1

How do you know LE never took prints from up by the house?

Perverts are secret in what they do. And boys do not like to talk about things that may be considered to be strange.

Pervs don't have to be going into the showers, but men have to go to the bathroom, so I imagine he did use bathrooms during the day.

We don't know if LE considers he did it. We just know he is a POI. Maybe LE thinks he knows who did it.

Findtim-In order for the perp to take advantage of these boys being alone in the dark, they had to have been outside and the flashlights had to have been visible. Who said DR was in the house that night? If DR was the perp, do you think he would tell the truth? This is all just speculation and using the facts that we have at hand while trying to figure out a logical scenario and how it happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michelemelton03