MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #9

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
All that im trying to do is point out that it would have been nearly impossible for DR to hide, or dispose of a body, on his own property, with such a small time window and so much human activity on his property.

Upon further thought, maybe he disposed of the body in the early am hours when the activity quieted down?

The wood furnace observation is plausible, but how much lime is needed to cover up the smell of burning flesh? I would assume that lots of lime would be needed? Should we also assume that DR had this mass of lime available in case of a "chance encounter" with an adolescent boy? Furthermore, what is the average size of a wood burning furnace? Are they large enough to hold an 11 year old boy?

I dont buy into the fire pit theory based on my assumption that there was a lot of activity at the scene of the crime for weeks after the abduction. The media, LE, FBI, National Guard and volunteer search parties were there. Surely, someone would want to check into what DR was burning so close to the crime scene.

I mean that he put him into the pit where the family disposed of ashes from the wood burning furnace. It probably was several feet deep.

The ash is a base which covers odors. He could have been put in quite deeply easily in an ash pile.

I imagine the wood burning furnace they have is huge. Probably an outdoor installation.

They are huge where I live and that is just for a home

The wood furnace observation is plausible, but how much lime is needed to cover up the smell of burning flesh? I would assume that lots of lime would be needed? Should we also assume that DR had this mass of lime available in case of a "chance encounter" with an adolescent boy? Furthermore, what is the average size of a wood burning furnace? Are they large enough to hold an 11 year old boy?

I dont buy into the fire pit theory based on my assumption that there was a lot of activity at the scene of the crime for weeks after the abduction. The media, LE, FBI, National Guard and volunteer search parties were there. Surely, someone would want to check into what DR was burning so close to the crime scene.

One problem I have about burning him in the wood burning furnace is there would have been smoke which would have sent up red flags since I remember the weather as being very warm, no need to have a huge wood burner going. It certainly would have drawn attention.

One problem I have about burning him in the wood burning furnace is there would have been smoke which would have sent up red flags since I remember the weather as being very warm, no need to have a huge wood burner going. It certainly would have drawn attention.

I cannot see him doing it then, but maybe eventually.

The farm was not searched was it?

Suggested reading:

[url="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159"]The Rules - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/url]

I have been trying to figure out how it could be found out who was arrested. Do you think that is public info? I imagine it is, but would the info still be available?

My father once told me that "tires don't burn black smoke at night". Growing up in MN, we had plenty of bonfires and burned tires (not something I condone)...no one called the police.

I am sure a wood burning furnace would incinerate the remains...especially after many years of use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My father once told me that "tires don't burn black smoke at night". Growing up in MN, we had plenty of bonfires and burned tires (not something I condone)...no one called the police.

I am sure a wood burning furnace would incinerate the remains...especially after many years of use.

Cadaver dogs have alerted on bodies 8 ft deep, as well as scatted skeletal remains, and have done so up to 35 yrs. Additionally, cadaver dogs have been used in archeological finds in Colonial times.

barksar.org

Cadaver dogs can scent through concrete. They can also scent through dirt from a burned area.

Cadaver dogs have alerted on bodies 8 ft deep, as well as scatted skeletal remains, and have done so up to 35 yrs. Additionally, cadaver dogs have been used in archeological finds in Colonial times.

barksar.org

Cadaver dogs can scent through concrete. They can also scent through dirt from a burned area.

Do you mean the dogs that were there in 2010?

I don't think,they had cadaver dogs in 89, did they?

WS is undergoing a software upgrade. Within the next week -- possibly the next few days -- you will notice we have a new look. You shouldn't experience navigation problems, but if you do, look for the tab which reads "FORUMS" at the top of the home page. Click that tab to get to the index of the various forums and sub-forums. Then navigate to "Missing but no Forgotten Discussion" --> "1980's Missing" --> "Jacob Wetterling".

If you normally use a bookmark to enter a particular sub-forum or thread, your link will still work.

Should you get really lost, send a pm to me or another mod and we'll guide you back. ;)

ENJOY!

:tyou:

ETA: If we run into bumps along the way, Kimster will post updates on her Twitter feed.

https://twitter.com/KimsterWS

barksar.org

Remains that have been incinerated? Not likely.

Apparently, dogs can also make mistakes. Most articles state the accuracy is around 60% at best. That leaves a lot to be desired, despite the fact that cadaver dogs are a plus.

Yes, they make mistakes in that they miss a lot.

Do they do a lot of false hits?

I'd assume they could falsely hit on buried animals.
If they're properly trained, cadaver dogs will only alert to the scent of human decomposition.

One exception might be porcine remains, which are sometimes used as a substitute for human remains or "pseudoscents" in training cadaver dogs.

ETA: Links

http://www.biologycorner.com/anatomy/senses/crimedogs.html

http://doglawreporter.blogspot.com/2012/04/training-cadaver-dogs-on-pig-remains.html

http://www.crime-scene-investigator.net/cadaverdogs.html#

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member