MN MN - Joshua Guimond, 20, Collegeville, 9 Nov 2002

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
if you have read any of the monk files from court or the monk info from behindthepinecurtain.com, monks would brag about driving to Minneapolis and pick up men at gay bars over the weekend. They would also brag about having the largest "posse" of students. If you were a student, it was an honor to be in this group because they are respected members of the school and church. Victims were shared between the monks. I have posted about this before SAS. Remember? I don't think with this past behavior the monks would be "in for the night" on a weekend?

and this one:
"Abbey spokesman the Rev. Columba Stewart said Friday that Bennett doesn't remember whether the incident with Gair took place. "Because of his use of alcohol at that time he honestly doesn't remember," he said. "It's not a 'denial.' ... He just can't speak for what he may have been doing at that time because of the alcohol."

Stewart said that Bennett received treatment for using prescription drugs years later. Bennett is on restriction.

Throughout the 1960s, some students and young monks were exposed to a deviant subculture on a campus that aspired to be a pure and holy place.

Abbey monks who had taken vows of celibacy confided sexual fantasies to each other and talked of weekend partying at gay bars in Minneapolis.

It seemed, thought Brother Timothy Pembroke, that there was nobody in charge who was willing to confront the behavior.

Many nights, after evening prayers and dinner, Pembroke said he played bridge with other monks and wound up listening to conversations laced with sexual innuendo.

"It would just be flippant remarks about so and so, 'What a nice butt,' " Pembroke said. "The more outrageous the better. ... The way they dressed, the way they fluttered." They chided him for not taking part, jokingly calling him "Butch."

http://www.bishop-accountability.or...arTribune_BehindThe_Francis_Hoefgen_ETC_3.htm

another quote from the article above:

Only after Pembroke had left St. John's and was in graduate school on the West Coast did he understand how hypocritical the monastery had become. He decided it was no longer the place for him. He no longer wanted be around what he called "cliques of predators."

His decision made, Pembroke made one last trip to the abbey and met with Eidenschink.

"I told him the main issue with me was the promiscuity that goes on," Pembroke, now 58 and married, recalled from his home near Seattle. He left puzzled by the lack of response. Eidenschink simply offered to send him the necessary paperwork to leave the abbey, he said.

When he learned last spring that Eidenschink also had been accused of abusing young monks, it all made sense.

"John Eidenschink was a canon lawyer," he said. "They protect themselves."

==============================

Dan Ward is also a Canon lawyer. Ward was advisor to the mock trial team. Josh was co-captain of the mock trial team.

Many thanks, JBrown, for all of the above. Frustrating though, isn't it?

and in the same article, Cold Spring Police Chief admitted not prosecuting the monks. Is Stearns County looking the other way too?:

"In another case, Theisen allowed the Rev. Francis Hoefgen to lead a parish in Hastings after Hoefgen had sex with a troubled teenage boy. The boy had gone to live with Hoefgen in the parish house in 1983 after attempting suicide.

Hoefgen confessed to Cold Spring Police Chief Vincent Konz, a parishioner who later expressed concern about the case becoming public. He met with Hoefgen in private rather than at the police station or the rectory because he didn't want to "cause speculation," he told lawyers.

"There's so many small people in a small town like this they could crucify the guy," Konz said. "And maybe he had it coming, but that wasn't the way things were handled in those days. ... My concern was what it would do to the faith community."

http://www.bishop-accountability.or...arTribune_BehindThe_Francis_Hoefgen_ETC_3.htm

All my evidence points towards the monks who were at st johns who took josh and did something to him. I will shout it from the rooftops if i have to. Current sju students, dig for info! Ask the monks who were there who are still alive-

I'm not Catholic, I have no ties to St. John and no real interest, one way or the other, except getting to the bottom of what happened to Josh.

No doubt there was a serious problem with sexual abuse commuted by faculty and clergy and there was was a serious effort to cover up those activities. In addition, there was a problem with faculty and monks continuing to have sexual relations with students into the time Josh vanished. These relations were totally inappropriate and should not have been tolerated by the college but the students were legally adults so they did not involve actual crimes. I'm not saying that it is impossible that someone on campus would commit a murder in order to cover up one or more sexual relationships that would have resulted in disciplinary action, but I am suggesting that it is not particularly likely and not the first explanation I would find to explain a student's disappearance.

I am not aware that there is any known evidence that Josh was privy to any information that would give anyone reason to want him dead. He was an undergraduate who was writing a paper critical of the School Adm over the handling of the various sex scandals. There is no reason to believe he had access to anything but public records or any information that would cause any additional problems for anyone.

The Catholic Church as well as St. John's has destroyed its credibility and it is reasonable that someone would not accept, at face value, their denials of any wrong doing.

It is perfectly reasonable that Josh's father would demand answers and I can see where St John's would see the father's efforts as just opening old wounds and bringing more bad publicity even if they had nothing to hide. They just wanted him to go away and Sheriff Sanner, a St John Alumnus I understand, was willing to help them. This was probably not the best course of action.

At this point, I don't know where the investigation should go. I am a little hung up on the possibility that Josh returned to his Dorm after he left the card party, went on line for half an hour and then left on his own accord. This leaves everything up in the air and makes the whole sex coverup issue a possible red herring.

kemo, do you think one of the roommates did it? if so, what would be their reason? if he left on his own accord, I think he would have taken his glasses and or his jacket and car.

All my evidence points towards the monks who were at st johns who took josh and did something to him. I will shout it from the rooftops if i have to. Current sju students, dig for info! Ask the monks who were there who are still alive-

As I've been saying we should stop being so vast and simplify matters. You say the monks did it but that is literally 100 people. Who had access to Josh? Who couldn't have maybe based on a strict schedule?

kemo, do you think one of the roommates did it? if so, what would be their reason? if he left on his own accord, I think he would have taken his glasses and or his jacket and car.

I don't have an opinion.

The three most probable explanations would be:
Suicide
Mishap, probably involving a body of water.
Murder, probably someone he knew.

We have no reason to believe Josh was suicidal but sometimes suicides occur when there is absolutely no obvious motive or signs of depression. It is not that unusual for someone, particularly young men, to commit suicide in a manner that no body will be found and no one will know what happened.

There were numerous bodies of water in the area and mishaps do happen, particularly at night when alcohol is involved. Bodies do not always turn up. I don't know anything about quicksand. Does such a hazard really exist in the area?

Murderers who do not know their victim and have no obvious motive rarely take any effort to conceal the body. When a murder is suspected but no body is found, the murderer is likely to be someone who knew the victim and had an obvious motive; someone who assumed they would be a suspect.

I just don't have enough information to even speculate.

I don't have an opinion.

The three most probable explanations would be:
Suicide
Mishap, probably involving a body of water.
Murder, probably someone he knew.

We have no reason to believe Josh was suicidal but sometimes suicides occur when there is absolutely no obvious motive or signs of depression. It is not that unusual for someone, particularly young men, to commit suicide in a manner that no body will be found and no one will know what happened.

There were numerous bodies of water in the area and mishaps do happen, particularly at night when alcohol is involved. Bodies do not always turn up. I don't know anything about quicksand. Does such a hazard really exist in the area?

Murderers who do not know their victim and have no obvious motive rarely take any effort to conceal the body. When a murder is suspected but no body is found, the murderer is likely to be someone who knew the victim and had an obvious motive; someone who assumed they would be a suspect.

I just don't have enough information to even speculate.

I really respect this viiew of the case, it's sad but true.

Keeping an open mind is necessary as some of learned in the Wetterling case. But it is also helpful to begin with a theory and examine it fully. As with the Wetterling case, It was be far less daunting if we had access to church records and the whereabouts of the monks on the night Joshua went missing. One cannot say they did not do it, nor can one definitively say they did. We have the lakes thoroughly searched by a professional team who then told the sheriff "to look elsewhere." Could Joshua have left the campus and fallen into a body of water elsewhere? What else was on his computer's hard drive that was erased? What was Joshua's interaction and experiences with the unfortunately now deceased Bruce Wollmerling? How was the paper Josh was writing about sexual abuse at St. John's received by the staff? Why wouldn't the abbey permit a search when Joshua went missing? Just not a good idea because why?

and Stearns County will not release any more info to help the case along. Keeping everything to the vest and not asking for help like the Wetterling case. Once people started emailing the FBI and NCMEC with info, Stearns County relented.
I need to email them.

Exactly, J.Brown. If my memory serves, Stearns was not willing to ask for help from the FBI. I believe you filed a FOIA request and Stearns turned it down citing the case as being "active." I am sure if you asked Grandpa Bob he would verify that zilch is being done. I believe a FOIA was also done in an effort to get the results of the search done on Wollmering's room after he died. There was obviously enough of a concern for the search to have been done to begin with. Dr. Immelman at St. John's has been studying this case from day one. It took a great deal of courage on his part to do this, given the code of secrecy that exists at St. John's. Forgive me if you have already read the info and profile of Josh's potential abductor at this link: http://www.immelman.us/missing-person-cases/missing-person-joshua-guimond-tenth-anniversary/. As mentioned earlier, the Abbot considers *all* confessions to be sacrosanct, therefore if any of the monks confided in him with regard to anything related to Joshua, we will never know. I have been hoping for years that someone might come forward and speak.

Well, when you're dealing with an institution that consistently hides criminal behavior, it kinda begs the question, what other dirty secrets are they hiding. Worth a look, or two or three or a thousand...[video=youtube;WIVdw5d5yW8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIVdw5d5yW8[/video]

. "You have to get evidence of a crime. You can't just speculate that one occurred," Sanner said. "I feel for the family that there are no answers. I feel for the university because it cast a shroud over them also at St. John's."

did the sheriff really just say hes concerned about the 100 pedophile monks? In the name of Joshua? This is bad.

. "You have to get evidence of a crime. You can't just speculate that one occurred," Sanner said. "I feel for the family that there are no answers. I feel for the university because it cast a shroud over them also at St. John's."

did the sheriff really just say hes concerned about the 100 pedophile monks? In the name of Joshua? This is bad.
------------------------------------------------------------

Precisely. He had conflicts of interest with the university that I believe hindered him from being able or willing to look for possible links. And isn't it something -- Sanner is the king of speculation because he speculated for years that Rassier took Jacob. Unprofessional and ineffectual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bwitzke