MN MN - Myrtle Cole, 81, Strangled & stabbed in her Fairhaven home,12 Dec 1981 *Re-opened*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

dotr

Reaction score
Dec 3 2021 rbbm.
40 Years Later, 81-Year-Old Myrtle Cole's Brutal Murder Remains Unsolved
''KIMBALL, Minnesota (WCCO) — A brutal murder has haunted a tiny central Minnesota town for decades. Next week will mark 40 years since Myrtle Cole, who was 81 years old, died inside her Fairhaven home. Investigators hope a public push for help could finally close the case.''''
A quiet widow who hosted weekly Bible studies in a modest home without running water was strangled and stabbed after her killer broke through a window.

“My mother-in-law was never the same after that. She was so sorrowful over losing such a good friend,” Selmela said.

Forty years later there is a renewed push to find the person who did it. Two billboards went up this week near Kimball, asking for tips and advertising a reward.

The best piece of evidence in this case is a bloody palmprint investigators found on a pillow case inside Cole’s home.

“As time has evolved for us in law enforcement in general, with science and technology we’re able to reevaluate that evidence, so we’re presently doing that,” Stearns County Sheriff Steve Soyka said.

Soyka believes this case may be close to being solved. He’s assigned a team of six investigators to focus on the few remaining cold cases in the county that date back to the ’70s.

“It’s very frustrating when you can’t solve a crime and you have to leave it sitting their open,” Soyka said.

They are hoping a public plea will hold that critical clue.

“I think that billboard being up is a great idea. I think it could help solve the whole crime,” Kersten said.

If you know anything about the case, you’re asked to call Tri-County Crimestoppers at 1-800-255-1301. Online tips can also be reported to p3tips.com.''

Last edited:
Really glad to see a thread started here for this case. But, my goodness, what goes on in Stearns County?! There have been so many odd happenings and cold cases there.:confused::(

Jacob Wetterling was the first one that drew my interest, but looking into that one, I realized there seem to be so many! Ill see if I can find a link to a partial list someone had in Jacob's thread a while back.

Really glad to see a thread started here for this case. But, my goodness, what goes on in Stearns County?! There have been so many odd happenings and cold cases there.:confused::(

Jacob Wetterling was the first one that drew my interest, but looking into that one, I realized there seem to be so many! Ill see if I can find a link to a partial list someone had in Jacob's thread a while back.

Here we go:

Remains found confirmed as Jacob Wetterling/Suspect led LE to Remains #2

From the above link, A partial list of cases in this county:

Jackie Theel (1944)
Roy Benn (1970)
Reker Sisters (1974)
Ivend Holen (1976)
Huling Family (1978)
Joan Bierschbach (1979)
Myrtle Cole (1981)
Steven Bechtold (1987)
Jacob Wetterling (1989)
Ronnie Bromenshakel and Cynthia Schmidt (1986)
Herb Fromelt (1994)
Josh Guimond (2002)
Tom Decker (2012)

December 12, 2021
myrtle.jpg

Myrtle Cole was found dead inside her home in the small town of Fairhaven, Minnesota on Dec. 12, 1981.

40 years since unsolved murder of 81-year-old Myrtle Cole
''Myrtle had been brutally attacked in her bedroom. Her cause of death was determined to be homicidal violence.

Myrtle was well-known in the town of Fairhaven, which at the time had a population of 100 people. The town had a small tavern, a grocery store, a church and a city hall. She lived by herself after her husband had passed away several years earlier.

The Stearns County Sheriff’s Office was originally assisted in this investigation by the Minnesota State Patrol, Hennepin County Medical Examiner’s Office, Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension and the Tri-County Major Crime Unit which included numerous law enforcement personnel from agencies in the surrounding area.

The investigation into Myrtle Cole’s murder remains open and active. If you know anything about this case, please contact the Stearns County Sheriff’s Office at 320-259-3702.''

I have some screenshots of newspaper articles from the time of the initial investigation. However, linking to the articles themselves won't be helpful as you'd have to have a paid membership to see them. Can I post screenshots of them here? I'll report so an admin can answer. Thanks!

Quite a few details of the murder in this article:
Unsolved for 40 years – Tri-County News
Thanks, good article.

Unsolved for 40 years – Tri-County News
''The murder occurred some time after 10 p.m. Friday, Dec. 11, and 9:30 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 12, 1981.

Myrtle Cole had been strangled, and stabbed multiple times all over her body. She was found lying on her bed, with a quilt covering her head and face.

No weapon has yet been found; it could be a knife, or a sharp-edged blade.

Multiple fingerprints were found inside the home, but none have matched with any suspects so far.

A bloody palm print on a pillow case that was found in early January 1982 may be the strongest piece of evidence so far; and it likewise has not been linked to any suspect.

An FBI profile of the perpetrator of this heinous crime was released around June 1982. This profile leans toward a young person likely with mental health issues.

Based on early investigations, that Friday night/Saturday morning was a very busy one in Fair Haven. Lt. Victor Weiss of the Stearns County Investigative Unit says heavy activity in the area that night included drug use, and “other violent stuff going on.”

Among those who have been definitively ruled out as the perpetrator are the three young men who helped Cole weatherize her home (and whom she fed a big dinner) just days before the murder, and her nephew who found her.

The investigation continues''

I have some screenshots of newspaper articles from the time of the initial investigation. However, linking to the articles themselves won't be helpful as you'd have to have a paid membership to see them. Can I post screenshots of them here? I'll report so an admin can answer. Thanks!

Sorry, not allowed. The whole idea of a paid membership / paywall is so the information is not freely distributed without the individual/organization being compensated for it.

You can link to the article and briefly paraphrase so that members have an idea what the article is about and those who wish to subscribe may do so.

A bloody palm print on a pillowcase was found in early January 1982.
The attack was early December 1981, so where had this pillowcase been for a while month?
Was it hidden in the house and not found by police it the time?
Had it been disposed of elsewhere?

The attack was early December 1981, so where had this pillowcase been for a while month?

I didn't see that the bloody palm print was found a month later. Good catch and good question. I did read that the evidence had been sent to a lab in St. Paul for processing, and trials that were happening at the time were taking precedent with the lab, so the processing of this evidence was delayed. I'll find the article and link it later tonight along with some other info. Anyway... I wonder if that delay is what the article you are referencing meant. I feel like that was a mouthful, lol. Hopefully you understand what I meant.:confused:

There's a two part newspaper article, dated January 2, 1982 in the St. Cloud Daily Times (St. Cloud is the main city of Stearns County. Sorry, don't know if you are familiar with MN geography):

Cole - new evidence - 1/7/82 - Newspapers.com

and

Cole 1/7/82 new evidence (part 2) - Newspapers.com

From the article:

"The evidence, found in the old, rundown house in Fairhaven where the 81-year-old widow's body was discovered Dec. 12, was analyzed by FBI agents using lasar technology, Grafft said. Grafft would not identify what the new evidence was, and he would not comment about whether an arrest is imminent. But the sheriff did say 'we are very positive about the outcome from what the FBI has given us in the way of information.'

The new evidence was collected by the BCA, Grafft said, but technicians at the crime bureau's lab in St. Paul did not have the equipment available to properly analyze the evidence. The FBI has assisted in the Cole investigation since its early days and will continue to provide advice and information for the investigators, Grafft said. On the local level, five Stearns County deputies and a Wright County officer continue to work on the investigation full time, Grafft said."

There's a two part newspaper article, dated January 2, 1982 in the St. Cloud Daily Times (St. Cloud is the main city of Stearns County. Sorry, don't know if you are familiar with MN geography):

Cole - new evidence - 1/7/82 - Newspapers.com

and

Cole 1/7/82 new evidence (part 2) - Newspapers.com

From the article:

"The evidence, found in the old, rundown house in Fairhaven where the 81-year-old widow's body was discovered Dec. 12, was analyzed by FBI agents using lasar technology, Grafft said. Grafft would not identify what the new evidence was, and he would not comment about whether an arrest is imminent. But the sheriff did say 'we are very positive about the outcome from what the FBI has given us in the way of information.'

The new evidence was collected by the BCA, Grafft said, but technicians at the crime bureau's lab in St. Paul did not have the equipment available to properly analyze the evidence. The FBI has assisted in the Cole investigation since its early days and will continue to provide advice and information for the investigators, Grafft said. On the local level, five Stearns County deputies and a Wright County officer continue to work on the investigation full time, Grafft said."

Thanks! I have a subscription to Newspapers.com, too.

The town would have been even more remote back then, with only about 100 people living there. Middle of winter, very cold. Poor Myrtle wouldn't have anything of value to steal, so why attack her? The FBI profile seems fairly accurate - a younger male with mental illness. Most likely he would have lived somewhere close by. How else would he know she was elderly and lived alone?

I can't find an address anywhere, but it would be interesting to see if Myrtle lived close to a busy road.

Last edited:
Rbbm.
Elderly woman murdered in her own home, crime goes unsolved for 40 years | kare11.com
''On the anniversary of Myrtle Cole's death, new billboards have been put up in Stearns County and the Sheriff's Office has re-submitted evidence to the BCA''.
''Long since torn down, a new house was built on the property where Cole lived. Old photos from the Stearns County Sheriff's Office show the front door, wide open and glass shattered on the floor.
At the time, Schmidt was a young mother said Cole mostly kept to herself.''
'' The sheriff's office said it was well-known she was fearful of someone breaking into her home.''
"The only motivation that we can come up with is really a drug-induced, sexual violence, chaotic kind of killer," Lieutenant Vic Weiss told KARE11. ''
"We know there are some people out there that have information that they're afraid to share," Lt. Weiss said, who thinks the suspect could be someone who lives locally.
"They're afraid of that person still being in the area,
" Lt. Weiss surmised.''

More contemporary coverage from the St Cloud (MN) Times

14 Dec 1981, Page 6 - St. Cloud Times at Newspapers.com

"Three residents..said they spotted a car with its lights on and parked in front of her house at about 2 a.m. Saturday. Another neighbor who refused to identify herself said she saw men peeking in the windows along Myrtle Cole's block shortly after midnight."

BBM. One neighbor saw a car parked in front of Mabel's house, another saw men peeking in the windows of homes along that block. Sounds like there could have been more than one perp.

Just a rudimentary timeline based on the above news stories

All night, Saturday night - Local LE say they were busy with some folks partying, doing drugs, causing trouble

2:00 am Saturday - Neighbor saw car parked in front of Mabel's home with lights on

Saturday morning - Mabel's nephew called to check on her

Later Saturday morning or early afternoon - Mabel's nephew breaks into her home and find a window broken, glass around the kitchen and Mabel deceased, in bed.

2:30 pm - Neighbors see MN state patrol helicopter landing at Mabel's home

Also noted: An article linked above says Mabel's nephew found her deceased, in her bed with a quilt covering her head and upper body. That's usually the sign of a killer who knew Mabel.

Last edited:

"Three residents..said they spotted a car with its lights on and parked in front of her house at about 2 a.m. Saturday. Another neighbor who refused to identify herself said she saw men peeking in the windows along Myrtle Cole's block shortly after midnight."

BBM. One neighbor saw a car parked in front of Mabel's house, another saw men peeking in the windows of homes along that block. Sounds like there could have been more than one perp.
My heart just dropped, that poor woman must have felt so afraid, hope they nail the sons of guns, imo.

My heart just dropped, that poor woman must have felt so afraid, hope they nail the sons of guns, imo.

She sounds like such a nice person, everyone loved her and tried to help her out. She had chronic headaches (probably migraines) so couldn't work. She sometimes cleaned peoples homes when she was younger. The week before she was killed, she was helped by 3 young men from Tri-County Action Program who came to put plastic sheeting over her windows and tar paper along the lower part of her house. Probably one of those programs back then, federally funded, to help make homes more energy efficient. She fixed a nice chicken dinner for them.

A suspect or person of interest was named in this article:
Berry suspect in Cole murder - Newspapers.com

"On Jan. 8, according to a search warrant affidavit, Berry told three 16-year-old visitors to his home that he broke through Cole's back door during the night, choked her, put a knife to her throat, raped and stabbed her. As he told the story, the affidavit said, Berry pulled a razor-sharp knife about 11 inches long from between sofa cushions and told his visitors that it was the murder weapon; The knife was described as more than 2 inches wide and having a stain near the handle.
According to the affidavit, filed in Stearns County District Court, Berry, said he and a friend from Mlnnetonka had planned to rob Cole; they knew she lived alone because they had followed her from a store and watched her."

It seems like nothing came of this, but I wonder why.

Just a rudimentary timeline based on the above news stories

All night, Saturday night - Local LE say they were busy with some folks partying, doing drugs, causing trouble

2:00 am Saturday - Neighbor saw car parked in front of Mabel's home with lights on

Saturday morning - Mabel's nephew called to check on her

Later Saturday morning or early afternoon - Mabel's nephew breaks into her home and find a window broken, glass around the kitchen and Mabel deceased, in bed.

2:30 pm - Neighbors see MN state patrol helicopter landing at Mabel's home

Also noted: An article linked above says Mabel's nephew found her deceased, in her bed with a quilt covering her head and upper body. That's usually the sign of a killer who knew Mabel.

Myrtle, not Mabel.:)

There was a snow storm that night and eventually it was noted that the car on the street was stuck. But men looking in windows?! Why in the world wouldn't someone have called the police when they saw that?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amakur
Back