MN - Philando Castile, 32, shot by police officer, 6 July 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fwiw, in my life experience, rage creates deafness and blindness. You were enraged? So was the protester you were enraged about. You can't see or hear that? It's possible that the protester can't see or hear your rage above their rage.

You can't see or hear the point of the 'other' side? 'They' can't see yours. The beat goes on. Different choices will create different results.

Jmo.

Well, those are very poor choices. To protest at someone's funeral - NO EXCUSE, NONE.

This case is one that I don't understand at all. With most other police shootings, I can see how things escalated, I can see there being fear...but this seems like a scared jumpy cop, however, I will try and wait until all the information is out so I can formulate my own thoughts on the truth, because we all know how many versions of the truth there are with even an innocuous situation.
Yes, I'm way behind on the thread, but the first problem I have is, it doesn't sound like the officer had even SEEN the firearm yet. In my opinion, if hasn't even seen the gun, he had no reason to shoot this man to death in front of a FOUR YEAR OLD. That's just insane to me.
Another point, I've seen a lot of comments around the Internet, wondering why Diamond was shooting video instead of assisting Philando. Also why was she so calm. She was likely in shock, and keep in mind, she had a gun pointed at her face. That officer sounded so escalated that I don't think he would have hesitated to shoot her, if she moved. Also, many POC have their phone ready to record when they're pulled over, for this reason. That's just something you think about as a POC. "If this goes south, I might die, but at least there's footage." Unfortunately, we've seen that footage rarely, if ever means justice. :(

I fully support law enforcement. However, just like in every profession, there are individuals who are not qualified for their position. Law enforcement included.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

This video is one of the few that actually made me cry. I am reserving judgement until I learn all of the facts. Meanwhile, black on black murders occur daily in our cities and not one word here or in the media. It's seems at first glance to me that this was a inexperienced cop that should have not been on the force. I feel horrible for the poor little daughter that was in the car!
Black on black crime has nothing to do with the people of power, killing innocent people. I'd venture to guess that most crimes are committed within the same race, for various reasons.

Black on black crime has nothing to do with the people of power, killing innocent people. I'd venture to guess that most crimes are committed within the same race, for various reasons.

Yes. The popular graphic circulating around Facebook and twitter has nothing to do with reality.

Fwiw, in my life experience, rage creates deafness and blindness. You were enraged? So was the protester you were enraged about. You can't see or hear that? It's possible that the protester can't see or hear your rage above their rage.

You can't see or hear the point of the 'other' side? 'They' can't see yours. The beat goes on. Different choices will create different results.

Jmo.

Sorry, I don't need a kumbaya mantra to try and understand anyone who would protest at an officers funeral who died protecting the very movement the people were supporting. I was enraged at the total lack of empathy and tact shown by them. And I do not want to see their side if it requires them to stand outside of a fallen officers service.

I agree calm minds need to prevail and we should all listen twice as much as we talk. But, in that situation I could not care less what they were saying. Just like the WBC, I would not even want to hear their side of things, because stooping to that level negates any validity you have.

I just wish we could all look at these shootings with a desire for facts, and that the media wouldn't have an agenda, and that people wouldn't try to manipulate what happens to fit their personal agendas.

Yes, I'm way behind on the thread, but the first problem I have is, it doesn't sound like the officer had even SEEN the firearm yet. In my opinion, if hasn't even seen the gun, he had no reason to shoot this man to death in front of a FOUR YEAR OLD. That's just insane to me.
Another point, I've seen a lot of comments around the Internet, wondering why Diamond was shooting video instead of assisting Philando. Also why was she so calm. She was likely in shock, and keep in mind, she had a gun pointed at her face. That officer sounded so escalated that I don't think he would have hesitated to shoot her, if she moved. Also, many POC have their phone ready to record when they're pulled over, for this reason. That's just something you think about as a POC. "If this goes south, I might die, but at least there's footage." Unfortunately, we've seen that footage rarely, if ever means justice. :(

I fully support law enforcement. However, just like in every profession, there are individuals who are not qualified for their position. Law enforcement included.

On this particular case, I am really struggling to see the point of escalation as well. We really ask so much of cops, for so little in return, but when they do mess up, it can be their life on the line, or others. I cannot imagine the weight that must carry. We really need to find a way to make our people and those who protect us feel safe, and unfortunately that's such a multifaceted problem I don't think you could count the sides with a jewelers loop.

Rosedale Mall protest cancelled by BLM. To be continued next week at mall and at Falcon Heights (somewhere).

Rosedale Mall protest cancelled by BLM. To be continued next week at mall and at Falcon Heights (somewhere).

That was a classy choice! Kudos that people can still do what's right!

On this particular case, I am really struggling to see the point of escalation as well. We really ask so much of cops, for so little in return, but when they do mess up, it can be their life on the line, or others. I cannot imagine the weight that must carry. We really need to find a way to make our people and those who protect us feel safe, and unfortunately that's such a multifaceted problem I don't think you could count the sides with a jewelers loop.

This is from Dallas Police Chief David Brown:
“We’re asking cops to do too much in this country,” Brown said at a briefing Monday. “We are. Every societal failure, we put it off on the cops to solve. Not enough mental health funding, let the cops handle it. … Here in Dallas we got a loose dog problem; let’s have the cops chase loose dogs. Schools fail, let’s give it to the cops. … That’s too much to ask. Policing was never meant to solve all those problems.”

I agree with you, and him. Police officers shouldn't be arresting children in schools and they shouldn't be expected to treat someone who has a mental illness. How is a police officer supposed to know what's best when a dog or wild animal is loose and running around the neighborhood? Law and order. Protect and serve. They can't do everything.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...e-rages-over-policing/?utm_term=.9a28fc8db93b

This is from Dallas Police Chief David Brown:

I agree with you, and him. Police officers shouldn't be arresting children in schools and they shouldn't be expected to treat someone who has a mental illness. How is a police officer supposed to know what's best when a dog or wild animal is loose and running around the neighborhood? Law and order. Protect and serve. They can't do everything.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...e-rages-over-policing/?utm_term=.9a28fc8db93b

Along this same line, I heard an interview of the Blue Lives Matter guy on NPR last week. He said officers don't get much yearly training on things like de escalation techniques. In Ohio, it is apparently as little as 2 hours/year. Why even bother? I have to have 12 CE hours a year plus CPR and first aid for my part time work with a young man with Down syndrome. It makes no sense at all that we provide so little training to our police officers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A year ago I would have agreed with you. Today - not so sure. Imo, there has been a shift or, more are speaking out on their displeasure with shootings that do not appear justified.

The most positive change in my observation is, many have stopped making the 'accusation' that standing up to a bad or unjustified shoot does not equate to anti LE. That was a big hurdle.

Yes. And as painful and horrific these past few years have been, in the end, I'm hopeful that some good will come out of it. Perhaps a change in police culture, and a restoration of some of the trust and respect that has been lost for LE in some communities. Probably naive.

Yes. And as painful and horrific these past few years have been, in the end, I'm hopeful that some good will come out of it. Perhaps a change in police culture, and a restoration of some of the trust and respect that has been lost for LE in some communities. Probably naive.

Progress is so slow. The Civil Rights Act wasn't passed until 1964 - that's amazing and shocking to me. Anyway. I'm hopeful with you but I think (and fear) it's going to get worse before it gets better.

Will it ever be OK to resist arrest or attack a cop? Their has to be some recourse for the officer, not just to take it and hope it works out OK.
There are two sides to this story. And this is the main reason grand juries nor the justice dept usually don't bring charges against the officers.
All MOO only

Sorry, I don't need a kumbaya mantra to try and understand anyone who would protest at an officers funeral who died protecting the very movement the people were supporting. I was enraged at the total lack of empathy and tact shown by them. And I do not want to see their side if it requires them to stand outside of a fallen officers service.

I agree calm minds need to prevail and we should all listen twice as much as we talk. But, in that situation I could not care less what they were saying. Just like the WBC, I would not even want to hear their side of things, because stooping to that level negates any validity you have.

I just wish we could all look at these shootings with a desire for facts, and that the media wouldn't have an agenda, and that people wouldn't try to manipulate what happens to fit their personal agendas.

UBM

There is still a long way to go yet imo.

]Will it ever be OK to resist arrest or attack a cop? Their has to be some recourse for the officer, not just to take it[/U] and hope it works out OK.
There are two sides to this story. And this is the main reason grand juries nor the justice dept usually don't bring charges against the officers.
All MOO only

Shooting someone for resisting arrest? That has been the recourse for many decades. How is that working for everyone?

Resisting arrest has always been there imo and always will be - we're talking about people not sheep. Also imo, grand juries and others have been wrong not to bring charges for shooting someone for resisting arrest or other similar reasons - what would things be like today if officers were in fact held to a higher standard?

LE is responsible for the relationship LE has with various members of the public. They can't blame that on anyone else. Jmo.

The police in CLt, and some surrounding towns have held open meetings with the public, and they listened to one another, and talked about ways to bring about change. There are recently some events where the local LE invites the public out to meet and interact with them in a Positive way. It's not going to end the fear and distrust with everyone on both sides, but it's a good start. Some people are trying to mend fences and build trusting relationships. Im encouraged because the people who attended these events want a good relationship with LE, and vice versa. It will never be utopia, but it can get better than what we are seeing now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ANicholls16