GUILTY MN - Sophia O'Neill, 2, stomped to death, Minneapolis, 10 June 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hmmmmm. Just thinking....

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/ju...ife-without-parole-cruel-and-unusual-20120625

Supreme Court rules mandatory juvenile life without parole cruel and unusual

June 25, 2012|By David G. Savage | This post has been corrected, as indicated below.

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court on Monday limited the use of life terms in prison for murderers under 18, ruling that judges must consider the defendant’s youth and the nature of the crime before putting him behind bars with no hope for parole.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://blogs.mprnews.org/newscut/2015/06/life-without-parole-for-juveniles-splits-mn-high-court/

The United State Supreme Court ruled in 2012 that life sentences without parole for juveniles is unconstitutional because it’s “cruel and unusual” punishment. But that ruling is doing no good for imprisoned people in Minnesota who were convicted before the ruling.

The Supreme Court did not make it impossible for a person under 18 to receive LWOP, but it did decide that LWOP couldn't be automatic. During the trial, LWOP can be argued by either side presenting aggravating or mitigating factors.

IMO, we've got a verrrrry aggravating one here, folks.

I wish we could save all the sweet children from monsters .

http://www.startribune.com/charges-expected-monday-in-death-of-minneapolis-2-year-old/307380571/

Sorry if this sounds judgmental or elitist but why was he living with his grandparents "for several years" when his mother is alive and well enough to show up in court and yell out in support of him? If he's been dating this woman for a year as stated in the article, why did Grandma think it was ok for a 16 year old boy to date an older woman with a child? Did grandma take this woman in before or after sonny-boy started dating her? Did she think she was being "super hip granny" letting this woman shack up and play house with her minor grandson in her home? What a dysfunctional bunch! And why was he "working to put food on the table" at 17 if he was living with his grandparents? At 17 my son was in SCHOOL, working to save up for a car. He never showed an interest in screwing around with older women who had gotten pregnant in their teens, but if he had, I think I would have set him straight, rather than throwing my hands up and sending him to grandma's to do whatever the hell he pleased! Again, sorry for all the judgments, but I'm frustrated. :confused:

***Warning-graphic***

After that he stomped her.

Why was she screaming and screaming for 90 minutes before he beat her I wonder? The possibilities make me want to put my head between my knees.

As to why Dad didnt take her to the ER call police etc...IDK but I can imagine that we are dealing with 3 very very immature people here. Dad thought he did the right thing-document, document, call CPS.

Many people believe that.

FWIW, dont believe it. Call 911. Always. Let LE sort it out, let LE make the call to CPS. File a police report on behalf of your child. jmvho.

ETA: At least he confessed it. I always wonder how family sorts out the fact that their loved one confessed to a crime? In this case, the family says they dont believe it. Really?

If I thought my child was injured in some way, accidentally or possibly on purpose while I was not at home, a pediatric ER would be my next stop. A call from an ER doc gets so much more attention than filing a report or waiting for LE or CPS at your home, when no current threat exists. Until they go with the criminal parent again.

bbm
Indeed, Cricket. Some of us who have had children in our care may be able to recall when a 2-3-4-5 y/o, etc., has an injury and when we touch it, accidentally or in trying to see where the injury is, the child screams in a way that we know that something is seriously wrong. With us, it was when our son was about 4 and had been in the next-door neighbor's front yard -- we were about 30 feet away from him -- and he was running around and fell. We were in our front yard & my DH heard a "snap" when he fell. He was crying in that certain this-really-hurts way. To the ER we went, and after x-rays, the Doc said he had a hairline fracture of his fibula (legbone) which was very common for soccer injuries. (No soccer here, but he fell onto his fibula and cracked it.) Long & short, after casting, he was fine & in no pain.

All this to say that as a caring and attentive parent, you know when their cry is different, you just know.

Grrrrrr.

Flu is virtually non-existent in the summer months in the Northern hemisphere. The mother is a criminal, period. Abuse or neglect, take your pick.

I bet he'll fight to keep it in the juvenile courts. He's a coward.

http://www.hennepinattorney.org/news/news/2015/July/Feran-baum-certhearing

"Cody Feran-Baum, charged in June with second-degree murder in the death of a two-year-old girl, will fight to have his case kept in juvenile court, rather than be tried as an adult, his lawyer told a Hennepin County Juvenile Court judge Thursday."

I wonder if he thought of himself as a juvenile when he was dating a 20 year old woman? Or when he was "working to put food on the table" according to his granny? I guess you can have it both ways these days.

There is an International treaty, The Hague Convention on the rights of the child. The right to a safe home life is one of the mandates. The US helped draft and later signed this treaty. TWO countries have not ratified (made law) this treaty despite agreeing it. Sudan and the USA, Sudan have no coherent Govmt, and the US feels it will interfere with the rights of parents to decide what is a safe home life.

Since child agencies hands are tied by adults 'rights', and court systems are manipulated by 'he who files first', the system is broken at it's very roots. Until children have rights that are enforcable in law, then they will continue to have their 'lesser being' status exploited by adults.

It's about time the US considered ratifying that treaty.

There is an International treaty, The Hague Convention on the rights of the child. The right to a safe home life is one of the mandates. The US helped draft and later signed this treaty. TWO countries have not ratified (made law) this treaty despite agreeing it. Sudan and the USA, Sudan have no coherent Govmt, and the US feels it will interfere with the rights of parents to decide what is a safe home life.

Since child agencies hands are tied by adults 'rights', and court systems are manipulated by 'he who files first', the system is broken at it's very roots. Until children have rights that are enforcable in law, then they will continue to have their 'lesser being' status exploited by adults.

It's about time the US considered ratifying that treaty.

Very interesting, thanks! As I see it this also plays into "hot car" cases where the parents are not charged because it is assumed that the parents loved the child enough to be sufficiently "punished" by their death, thus treating the child more like the parent's property than an actual human being with rights.

There is an International treaty, The Hague Convention on the rights of the child..

United Nations Convention actually. Hague Convention is mostly about adoptions.

I think the US should be required to do something like this that the UK does.. it posts cases of child death due to abuse online for anyone to see: http://www.nspcc.org.uk/preventing-abuse/child-protection-system/case-reviews/2015/

I have a small amount of sympathy for cody as it's pretty clear he was neglected as a child; and his family are the sort that have kids but they don't seem to actually want to take care of them.

Gerald "Minneapolis" Feran II is due in court today for allegedly ordering two other people to bound a woman with duct-tape and then threatening her with gang rape.

From a 2010 news article. As you can see ^ codys bio dad is a real nice guy...

http://www.citypages.com/news/geral...1-000-bounty-to-appear-in-court-today-6546841

Well, tomorrow the murderer Cody Feran-Baum will have spent 2 weeks in the state penitentiary at St. Cloud, MN. Only 1,298 weeks left to serve. Hope he's enjoying his stay there.

The County Attorney's office tells us there is no chance of prosecuting the mother Sunny for this, since there is no proof against her. She didn't participate in the beating of Sophia; she was at her methadone clinic at the time. And she can't be charged with neglect for leaving Sophia with Cody, since he had previously watched her. That she ended up with bruises on her face from one of those previous times isn't meaningful; the attorney says there's no proof that Cody caused those bruises (except that Sophia said so!). But they do say that they have now sent the case files to Child Protection, so that if Sunny has another kid, they will supposedly keep a close watch on the kid. (Not that they helped protect Sophia any!)

Meanwhile, Cody's father has been released from prison last fall, and is back living in Grandma Barb's house. And we've heard that since Cody is off in prison, Sunny has taken to sleeping with his father now. (Couldn't she use some of our Welfare money to just buy herself a good vibrator?)

Cody's mother is back from the womens prison in Shakopee now, too. She doesn't seem to care about it. But then, she looks to be so burned out from her drug use that you wonder if she can care about anything any more. At the court hearing, somebody had to tell her the hearing was over and she could get up out of her chair and leave.

Overall, a pretty screwed-up family, and they continue to screw up our neighborhood.

Not surprising. Eric Dean's father wasn't charged with anything either.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raindrop413
Back