MN MN - Tonya Yarmakov, 23, Autistic, diabetic, family says she ran from fishing dock, Savanna Portage State Park, McGregor, Aitkin County, 4 Sep 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Unfortunately unavailable outside the US
Here is the full text:

“The light and joy of our life went out on September 4, 2024 when Tonya went missing in Savanna Portage state park in northern MN. She vanished without a trace! We firmly believe that this tragedy could have been avoided if she had had adequate supports and services. In all of Rice County, there is / was not a single job training or day program for her to attend. There was not any respite for her parents. And there was not a single place in all of Rice County for her to live. A job and a place to live - aren't those basic human rights? Despite her daily challenges of having the dual diagnoses of Autism and Type 1 diabetes, some people said that she had the "sunshine gene." Her psychologist of over a decade said -"she was an incredible person." And a complete stranger in a waiting room once said, if we all had as much joy as she does, this world would be a much different and better place." She was born in MInneapolis but lived the majority of her short 23 years here in the Northfield area. She loved reading and going to the library and traveling and cats and dogs and buying books at Goodwill - but most of all she loved people and life - the 2 most important things any and all of us should love. So, if you want to do something in Tonya's memory - pay your taxes (government social services are the biggest supplier of services for the disabled) and contact your county commissioner and senator and representative and advocate for people with Autism and their families. A celebration of Tonya's life will be held Saturday, October 5 at 1:00pm at Valley Grove in Nerstrand. She was preceded in death by her 2 Grandmothers and a Grandfather. She is survived by her devastated parents, her favorite brother, a Grandfather, 3 uncles, 2 aunts, cousins and adopted grandparents, Richard and Katherine Collman and all the many friends that she met wherever she went.”

Welcome! What happened in your opinion? Why would Tonya suddenly stand up and run away?

As a parent of an autistic child, who has severe phobias. Just yesterday I was picking him up at his after school program, and he spotted a dragon fly. He dropped his bookbag and was running across the parking lot so fast.. It all happened so fast, that the adult standing beside him didn't even have time to react. Luckily, there were no moving cars in the parking lot since it was late after school hours and there was an adult walking with their child who was able to corral him.

But things just happen so quickly.. He has a lot of fears.. Bugs, any buzzing noise that MAY be a bug, any loud noises that hurts his ears like an ambulance horn.. These are all things that he would absolutely run away from without a second thought. He has no thought process for danger, or situational awareness like a car may be coming so he can not run through the parking lot.. He just goes.

When I am with him, I always have a hand on him.. whether we are holding hands, or my hand is on his shirts/pant loop without him realizing.. As he is getting older (8) he no longer wants to hold hands with me, so I have to be sneakier in this so that he keeps his dignity with peers and I keep him safe. There is no easy way.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
minushka
Back