Found Deceased MO - Darnell Gray, 4, Jefferson City, 24 Oct 2018 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They have not announced the next Court proceeding for Givens. It could well be that she is willing to plead guilty for the Charges as they stand by providing a confession. However her confession would have to be substantiated by physical corroboration. Until final toxicology reports are back I am sure they are waiting for them. I believe she is trying to convince everyone this all an accident from "hitting him wrong". In which case she COULD get off with Probation IMO.

JMO

One Facebook group exposed a possible scam artist trying to raise money for the funeral of Darnell Gray.

Through a series of Facebook screenshots taken by KOMU, an individual that goes by the name "Mandee Campbell" or "Manda Jean" tried funding money for Gray's funeral arrangements. The person created a page to attract donors.
<snip>
Facebook screenshots indicate that whoever started the page under Manda Jean's name lived in Maryland. The posts also show several spelling errors and replies from people calling out the scam.
<snip>
As of Monday, the page was taken off 's website. It's unclear how much money was given to the site. One Facebook user said the amount was $1,375 before the page was deleted.
Potential scam asks for Darnell Gray funeral donations

An autopsy showed there were "multiple injuries caused by blunt force trauma and sharp force trauma to multiple locations of the body inflicted prior to death."

Givens, identified as Darnell's caregiver, told investigators, "I may have hit him wrong," according to a probable cause statement.

BBM: The first sentence keeps playing over and over in my head. It seems to me they are saying those injuries are NOT the cause of death. So what is?

Just Wondering...did I miss something?

An autopsy showed there were "multiple injuries caused by blunt force trauma and sharp force trauma to multiple locations of the body inflicted prior to death."

Givens, identified as Darnell's caregiver, told investigators, "I may have hit him wrong," according to a probable cause statement.

BBM: The first sentence keeps playing over and over in my head. It seems to me they are saying those injuries are NOT the cause of death. So what is?

Prior to death would mean they DID cause the death. After his death would mean something else caused him to die, and then the trauma injuries occurred.

This means they know the injuries were inflicted while he was still alive - they may have caused his death.

They can often tell this because bruising only happens if an injury is inflicted before death. Once the heart stops beating you don't bruise anymore.

"I may have hit him wrong".

This is her..."defense"? This is so depraved. What reason is there to ever hit a child? Time out, or just holding them, giving them a drink, food, read a story, put the child to bed, watch a movie...10,000 other things to do, than hitting a child.

It seems like children are disposable in our society. And their status counts for little. She will probably get some miniscule, marginal sentence. No one cares.

Even though it's already happened - I'll post this anyway.

Thursday, Nov. 8th:
*Arraignment Hearing – (@ 9:30am ET) - MD – Darnell S. Gray (4) (missing Oct. 25, 2018, Jefferson City, found Oct. 30, 2018) – *Quatavia Lqwoun Givens (26) (ex-gf of father) arrested & charged (10/31/18) with 1st degree child abuse resulting in death. No bond.
Arraignment hearing on 11/8/18.

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. - A Jefferson City woman charged with child abuse in the death of a 4-year-old boy is asking for a public defender.

She is charged with a Class A felony, abuse or neglect of a child resulting in death in connection to the death of Darnell Gray.

Sodergren asked for a bond study, but a hearing to set bond has not been set. Givens did not enter a plea Thursday.

Darnell Gray death suspect makes first court appearance

11/08/2018 Order for Fingerprinting
Filed By: THOMAS LLOYD SODERGREN

I don't understand how this woman could be in Jail over a week after arrest and just now there is this order for fingerprinting.

Last edited:
I don't understand that either - first thing they do in jail is take your picture & fingerprints!
74x46px-LL-59c83b81_question-marks.gif

Sorry - I had MD instead of MO for the State - I can't even read my own handwriting - I should have looked at the title....
67x70px-LL-af76833f_14th_girl-smiley-duh-gigi.gif

and again thanks for the update jggordo!

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. - A Jefferson City woman charged with child abuse in the death of a 4-year-old boy is asking for a public defender.

She is charged with a Class A felony, abuse or neglect of a child resulting in death in connection to the death of Darnell Gray.

Sodergren asked for a bond study, but a hearing to set bond has not been set. Givens did not enter a plea Thursday.

Darnell Gray death suspect makes first court appearance

11/08/2018 Order for Fingerprinting
Filed By: THOMAS LLOYD SODERGREN

I don't understand how this woman could be in Jail over a week after arrest and just now there is this order for fingerprinting.

from the article:
Police said more arrests may follow.

I wonder what that means?? Who?

To me I don't understand how things work in that County Courthouse. Not just the fingerprint thing. They didn't even give a new court date for the next proceeding. It is no wonder to me that these cases take YEARS to go through the Court systems. Another case that was transferred TO Cole County from Henry (triple homicide) where the killer totally confessed, they just gave a date for a Jury Trial for June 1, 2020. I thought I read it wrong but no 1 1/2 years from now. Gimme A Break!

JMOs

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members