MO - Grief & protests follow shooting of teen Michael Brown #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So that means the only way a large black man should be able to go to college is with a sports scholarship? Nobody should have to play a sport if they don't want to. It's not exactly like cleaning one's room.

My disabled white kid played NCAA division III with an academic scholarship. Only 1 & 2 offer athletic scholarships. The change in peer group to almost any sport, academic club, or the boy scouts would have helped. It was an example; plain & simple.
eta: an example of way way to use one's assets to get ahead.

Plenty (I'd almost go so far as to say most) people who get into a physical altercation with police and subsequently surrender do not end up dead. Fighting a cop isn't a death sentence, which is why I still feel there is likely so much more to the situation than a fight and a peaceful surrender.

Can you provide a link for your assertion that plenty (if not most) of the people that get into a physical altercation with police do not end up dead?
Where I come from, assaulting a police officer, trying to gain control of his gun (resulting in a shot fired inside his police car) will certainly earn you a death sentence.

Police aren't in the wrestling business.

They mean business.

I was talking about the current situation with the lawsuit when the police ask the people/protestors to leave and then they won't. They are then arrested and complain. Just like when they throw Molotov cocktails, bottles of piss into a crowd and they complain about police using tear gas.

I also think there are too many YOU's in your post to me...

Ooops- read you wrong. Didn't recognize your description of the lawsuit as the actual lawsuit that was filed, my bad.
I don't think they actually found grounds to file charges, and they were merely detained, by people who had thrown them to the ground and refused to give their names. All I can say is, I'm glad there are a lot of witnesses to that. If there is merit to their claims, then the police have no one to blame but themselves. We shall see.

If lawsuits are filed for wrong doing, it appeared you belived the LEOs should blame their own behavior on other people? I hope I read that wrong, but that was the impression I got.

IMHO.

The sad thing is that IMO many of these people that they--with their hate speech and violence and threats of more of the same if the rule of law doesn't bend its knee to mob really and truly seem to think that they are the second coming of the civil rights movement. Forget non-violence, forget facing down hate and bigotry with dignity and calm logic, let's just riot and loot and burn and put out appalling ignorance of the rights we claim to have been denied on display for the whole world. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., one of my personal heroes, might as well as never lived or spoken a word.

Go ahead and burn down your own homes and businesses and destroy your own community because your blood thirst isn't quenched without regard to the law, Ferguson. What a brave new world you are making.

IMO.

Sorry- I thought we were talking about your opinion on actual lawsuits, not mythical ones.
If lawsuits are filed for wrong doing, it appeared you belived the LEOs should blame their own behavior on other people? I hope I read that wrong, but that ws the impression I got.

Seriously? Not sure that we are watching the same Ferguson

I been here too long. Time to go do housework...

If the force was disbanded, he lost his job, right? So I guess more like he was "laid off" than "fired" but it seems like just semantics to me. Doesn't mean it was his fault, of course!

The difference between laid off and fired is usually more than semantics to potential employers, but that's just my experience and MOO.

Respectfully, the law in MO is that HE felt he was in resonable fear...not anyone else's feelings

Oh, no, not again.Mo. statute does not specify 'reasonable fear'; it hinges on LE officer's 'reasonable belief' of danger.
Mo. sections in this chapter http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/chapters/chap563.htm w my red & BBM UBM SBM

Law enforcement officer's use of force in making an arrest. (Ed note: applies to LE)
563.046. 1. A law enforcement officer need not retreat or desist from efforts to effect the arrest, or from efforts to prevent the escape from custody, of a person he reasonably believes to have committed an offense because of resistance or threatened resistance of the arrestee. In addition to the use of physical force authorized under other sections of this chapter, he is, subject to the provisions of subsections 2 and 3, justified in the use of such physical force as he reasonably believes is immediately necessary to effect the arrest or to prevent the escape from custody.
2. The use of any physical force in making an arrest is not justified under this section unless the arrest is lawful or the law enforcement officer reasonably believes the arrest is lawful.
3. A law enforcement officer in effecting an arrest or in preventing an escape from custody is justified in using deadly force only
(1) When such is authorized under other sections of this chapter;
[Ed note: if acting as 'regular civilian, for ex, at home defending self or spouse]
or
(2) When he reasonably believes that such use of deadly force is immediately necessary to effect the arrest and also reasonably believes that the person to be arrested
(a) Has committed or attempted to commit a felony; or
(b) Is attempting to escape by use of a deadly weapon; or
(c) May otherwise endanger life or inflict serious physical injury unless arrested without delay.
4. The defendant shall have the burden of injecting the issue of justification under this section.

Use of force in defense of persons. [Ed note: applying non-LE peeps. Initial aggressor is a factor here, not true re ^LE use of force^] 563.031. 1. A person may, subject to the provisions of subsection 2 of this section, use physical force upon another person when and to the extent he or she reasonably believes such force to be necessary to defend himself or herself or a third person from what he or she reasonably believes to be the use or imminent use of unlawful force by such other person, unless:
(1) The actor was the initial aggressor; except that in such case his or her use of force is nevertheless justifiable provided:
(a) He or she has withdrawn from the encounter and effectively communicated such withdrawal to such other person but the latter persists in continuing the incident by the use or threatened use of unlawful force; or
(b) He or she is a law enforcement officer and as such is an aggressor pursuant to section 563.046; or
(c) The aggressor is justified under some other provision of this chapter or other provision of law;
(2) Under the circumstances as the actor reasonably believes them to be, the person whom he or she seeks to protect would not be justified in using such protective force;
(3) The actor was attempting to commit, committing, or escaping after the commission of a forcible felony.
2. A person may not use deadly force upon another person under the circumstances specified in subsection 1 of this section unless:
(1) He or she reasonably believes that such deadly force is necessary to protect himself, or herself or her unborn child, or another against death, serious physical injury, or any forcible felony;
(2) Such force is used against a person who unlawfully enters, remains after unlawfully entering, or attempts to unlawfully enter a dwelling, residence, or vehicle lawfully occupied by such person; or
(3) Such force is used against a person who unlawfully enters, remains after unlawfully entering, or attempts to unlawfully enter private property that is owned or leased by an individual claiming a justification of using protective force under this section.
3. A person does not have a duty to retreat from a dwelling, residence, or vehicle where the person is not unlawfully entering or unlawfully remaining. A person does not have a duty to retreat from private property that is owned or leased by such individual.
4. The justification afforded by this section extends to the use of physical restraint as protective force provided that the actor takes all reasonable measures to terminate the restraint as soon as it is reasonable to do so.
5. The defendant shall have the burden of injecting the issue of justification under this section. If a defendant asserts that his or her use of force is described under subdivision (2) of subsection 2 of this section, the burden shall then be on the state to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant did not reasonably believe that the use of such force was necessary to defend against what he or she reasonably believed was the use or imminent use of unlawful force.
[SIZE=-2](L. 1977 S.B. 60, A.L. 1993 S.B. 180, A.L. 2007 S.B. 62 & 41, A.L. 2010 H.B. 1692, et al. merged with H.B. 2081)

[/SIZE]
Assault of a law enforcement officer,... in the first degree, definition, penalty.
565.081. 1. A person commits the crime of assault of a law enforcement officer, ... in the first degree if such person attempts to kill or knowingly causes or attempts to cause serious physical injury to a law enforcement officer, ....
7. Assault of a law enforcement officer,.... in the first degree is a class A felony.

[Ed note: this law also applies to the following: corrections officer, emergency personnel, highway worker in a construction zone or work zone, utility worker, cable worker, or probation and parole officer][SIZE=-2] (L. 1989 S.B. 215 & 58, A.L. 2003 S.B. 5, A.L. 2005 H.B. 353, A.L. 2009 H.B. 62 merged with H.B. 683, A.L. 2012 H.B. 1647)
[/SIZE]
Assault of a law enforcement officer... in the second degree, definition, penalty.
565.082. 1. A person commits the crime of assault of a law enforcement officer, ...in the second degree if such person:
(1) Knowingly causes or attempts to cause physical injury to a law enforcement officer,...by means of a deadly weapon or dangerous instrument;
(2) Knowingly causes or attempts to cause physical injury to a law enforcement officer, ..by means other than a deadly weapon or dangerous instrument;
(3) Recklessly causes serious physical injury to a law enforcement officer, ...; or
(4) While in an intoxicated condition or under the influence of controlled substances or drugs, operates a motor vehicle or vessel in this state and when so operating, acts with criminal negligence to cause physical injury to a law enforcement officer, ...;
(5) Acts with criminal negligence to cause physical injury to a law enforcement officer, ... by means of a deadly weapon or dangerous instrument;
(6) Purposely or recklessly places a law enforcement officer, ...in apprehension of immediate serious physical injury; or
(7) Acts with criminal negligence to create a substantial risk of death or serious physical injury to a law enforcement officer,...
7. Assault of a law enforcement officer, ...in the second degree is a class B felony unless committed pursuant to subdivision (2), (5), (6), or (7) of subsection 1 of this section in which case it is a class C felony. For any violation of subdivision (1), (3), or (4) of subsection 1 of this section, the defendant must serve mandatory jail time as part of his or her sentence.
[SIZE=-2] (L. 1989 S.B. 215 & 58, A.L. 2003 S.B. 5, A.L. 2004 H.B. 1055, A.L. 2005 H.B. 353, A.L. 2008 H.B. 1715, A.L. 2009 H.B. 62 and A.L. 2009 H.B. 683, A.L. 2011 H.B. 315, A.L. 2012 H.B. 1647) [/SIZE]
"The headnotes, footnotes, annotations and index of the Missouri Revised Statutes, are used by permission of the Joint Committee on Legislative Research, the copyright holder."

Read carefully & pay attention as there may be a quiz later.
J/K, LOL.

BBM SBM

^^^^^^^^Yes, if Piaget's vid started 30 sec after shooting, how was crime tape tied into place so quickly?^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Did she use camera? Or cell?
How long would fully charged device last?

IMO, Piaget Crenshaw's claims that she took the video just 30 seconds after the shooting do NOT match what is actually seen on the video she provided. As the yellow police tape can be seen.

IMO, she started to videotape the events with her cell phone a few minutes after the shooting, when the yellow police tape was put in place but just early enough before the body was covered with the sheet.

I also believe IF that video on her cell phone would have been of any value for LE/FBI, she would NOT have gotten back her cell phone to show it to the media but it would have been kept by LE/FBI as evidence. JMO.

When LE says back up and people move FORWARD.... irs time for pepper spray? beanbags? what?

I'll admit I haven't watched all of the protests, but didn't the best results usually happen when police stayed well away from protesters and didn't engage them?

I don't have any stinkin smilely!!!!

I'm gonna have to get to the bottom of this so I can begin to let the poo fly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When I hit reply this is what comes up... Maybe it's my phone? I think my tablet does the same...

3140da883d62d39b3f092c3d09b66fb1.jpg

When I tap the smile I get this.
38ccb02de62abbc9864d537f35f1063a.jpg

All posts are MOO

If only it was so easy to say "hey kid you need new friends, so just drop the old ones and move on." I am not saying that It isn't possible, just very difficult. I do speak from experience. I had one or two unsavory friends myself despite knowing about their crimes.

That begs the question did they draw you into illegal activities?

You know, that's actually a really good question. I believe that in some communities, education just isn't as valued as it should be. Being a good student is not considered "cool" in some communities. And crime is too accepted. I hope I don't come across as "whitey" lecturing here. I haven't had to struggle in a poor urban community in my life, and so I'm not able to fully relate. But others, such as Al Sharpton, have expressed it well: "Some of us act like the definition of blackness is how low you can go. Blackness has never been about being a gangster or ." Very well said, I think. I think more positive black role models in the community would help a lot, let kids know they can dream of something better.

I also think the education system has failed some of these kids. As others have said, the local H.S. getting decertified is a pretty big sign that things are remiss, and IMO that the State needs to put more resources into improving public schools. I don't really understand the whole spending a ton of money to bus kids 30 miles to a better school. Much as with the charter schools, I think the money could have been better spent on hiring good teachers and improving the local schools. But that's an argument for a different day.

I agree with a lot that you're saying in your first paragraph, personally. In your second paragraph (and for the sake of applying critical thinking) what if it is more like the kids are failing the educational system?! As you know, learning is a two-way venture; not a one way venture. A student needs to value and apply the learning.
No one owes anyone an education. A person must have a desire to learn.

moo

Help me out here. They want McCullouch to get the boot, but no one is addressing local crime such as strong arm robbery? Misguided priorities. IMO

I wonder if they know McCulloch was elected to his position by the residents of Ferguson. Do they hate him because he's white or something? Do they know how many times he has been re-elected? Is this discrimination due to of the color of his skin?

They say he quit football because he didn't want to hurt people. I have always thought it more likely he had issues with authority. If that is the case, explains a lot with the constant changes in schools, issues with Wilson, etc. Just an opinion so I don't get asked for a link.

bbm I don't know about they, but I do know that the schools where i live will not let you play a sport if you can not maintain a certain GPA. jmo

He overcame early struggles in school to graduate on time. He was pointed toward a trade college and a career and, his parents hoped, toward a successful life.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/25/u...eeks-grappling-with-lifes-mysteries.html?_r=0

Oh, no, not again.Mo. statute does not specify 'reasonable fear'; it hinges on LE officer's 'reasonable belief' of danger.

But whether that belief was "reasonable" is up ultimately up for others to judge, correct?

So as far as I can tell, here is what the protestors want:

--They want Darren Wilson arrested, convicted and executed without due process.
--They want the the DA, an elected official, removed from office without due process.

They will use force if these demands are not met.

Have I got this right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member