MO - Grief & protests follow shooting of teen Michael Brown #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I sometimes think I'm on "ignore". :floorlaugh:

I think you've done an amazing job, and in one of the most challenging topics I've seen here. Even your snip of my post earlier today made sense when I realized what I said sounded like. :lol: Mortified as I was!

On a related note... ;) I sometimes worry about what goes where, how far OT we should stray, and what areas *here* can be referred to. KWIM?

I guess specifically, I'm wondering if we should start a new thread about the DOJ investigation, and if there are places here where more broad social issue discussion should be taken or linked to for that.

If this makes no sense, please send my husband downstairs for me? He's trying to get my attention while I'm typing. :p

This is from a town near me. Some people just can't keep it to themselves. This kind of stuff doesn't help your fellow officers.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...-273937341.html?_osource=SocialFlowFB_CHBrand

"A Facebook page post apparently created by a northwest suburban Elgin police officer saying the Ferguson, Mo., police officer who shot and killed a young man last month “did society a favor” has left the officer on administrative leave pending an investigation."

While I am not really big on firing people for posting whatever they want on FB, he does represent the force and has been warned several times. Plus, there is a social media policy in place.

If an LE officer has that kind of prejudice then he should be in another profession, IMO. He should be fired.

This may have been linked already, but interesting RE Ferguson and a past use of force complaint.

http://www.ksdk.com/story/news/loca...e-investigations-in-ferguson-a-joke/14135791/
What strikes me most about this story about mismanagement in FPD is that it is one of only two I have seen, and it goes back 5 years, long before the current chief was brought in from St Louis to fix issues in the FPD.

It is very possible that I have missed others, but if there were a systemic problem there, it seems I'd have seen more than just these two given as proof every time I've seen the subject come up.

The other claim definitely concerns me, if it pans out, since it was specific and apparently from last year. It was something about the ratio of stops and searches between AAs vs Whites, even though the whites were more often found to have illegal items. Details, like what areas, and any explanations would be interesting.

What seems more shocking to me is Judge's ruling made 31 Dec 2013. I'd like our legal eagles to weigh in on it.

In December, Henry Davis's civil rights claim was granted summary judgment and thrown out.

The judge wrote in her decision:

"As unreasonable as it may sound, a reasonable officer could have believed that beating a subdued and compliant Mr. Davis while causing only a concussion, scalp laceration, and bruising with almost no permanent damage did not violate the Constitution...The Court grants summary judgment to Defendants on Count I."

What strikes me most about this story about mismanagement in FPD is that it is one of only two I have seen, and it goes back 5 years, long before the current chief was brought in from St Louis to fix issues in the FPD.

It is very possible that I have missed others, but if there were a systemic problem there, it seems I'd have seen more than just these two given as proof every time I've seen the subject come up.

The other claim definitely concerns me, if it pans out, since it was specific and apparently from last year. It was something about the ratio of stops and searches between AAs vs Whites, even though the whites were more often found to have illegal items. Details, like what areas, and any explanations would be interesting.

What seems more shocking to me is Judge's ruling made 31 Dec 2013. I'd like our legal eagles to weigh in on it.

In December, Henry Davis's civil rights claim was granted summary judgment and thrown out.

The judge wrote in her decision:

"As unreasonable as it may sound, a reasonable officer could have believed that beating a subdued and compliant Mr. Davis while causing only a concussion, scalp laceration, and bruising with almost no permanent damage did not violate the Constitution...The Court grants summary judgment to Defendants on Count I."

I don't get it either, since she says the guy was subdued and compliant. :confused: It sounds incredible. Guess we should sleuth the story and the judge. :cool:

I will have to ask the Admins about a discussion about pass charges of police misconduct with the Ferguson police department since they are not being investigated.

Just a little quibble I have with surveys of stops or arrests that I've seen recently that compare black vs. white residents in a community vs. black/white traffic stops.

Let's look at the suburb to the North of where I live. We'll call it Northwood. If I had to guess, I'd say it's about 75 percent white, 21 percent Asian/Middle Eastern, 2 percent African American, 2 percent all other races combined. Now suppose we got their traffic stop data and analyzed it and we found that say 15 percent of the traffic stops were African American individuals, 60 percent were white individuals, 10 percent were Hispanic individuals, and 15 percent were Asian/Middle Eastern Individuals. From what has been said lately in the media, obviously this city is racist against black and hispanic drivers, and favors white and asian drivers.

But here's the problem: There's no giant wall around Northwood keeping their residents in or others out. People work in Northwood who don't live there. One of the biggest and most popular malls in our area is there, so lots of people come to shop. There are a lot of businesses in Northwood, where people from other towns might find employment. People come to visit relatives and friends, or go to church. Not only that, but the people of Northwood, sometimes do crazy things like working or shopping or visiting or playing outside of Northwood. There's a major interstate that runs through Northwood. People from whole other states drive through every hour of the day.

In a town with little industry or commerce, where the area is almost entirely residences and there's not a lot of through traffic such statistics might be a relatively accurate figure. But otherwise, you would pretty much have to look at not who lives in your city, but who drives in and through your city and compare that to who is stopped. Which is hard, if not impossible, so I see why it's not done that way. But just looking at residents of your city vs. traffic stops, unless you throw out the traffic stops of all non-residents, and just look at how many of your residents were stopped vs. the make-up of your residents, you're not comparing anything close to apples to apples.

I have no idea what Ferguson is like, other than it's more urban/suburban than rural. I don't know what amount of industry, commerce, major thruways, etc. exist there, so I'm not saying any numbers from Ferguson are accurate/non accurate. Just something to keep in mind.

Interesting, seems some things weren't stated in the article.

What followed is described in court documents as "physical contact between the officers and Mr. Davis." One officer, Kim Tihen, allegedly "struck [Davis] in his head with a closed fist and hit [him] in the head with handcuffs." Davis suffered a concussion and severe facial lacerations, while an officer was left with a broken nose.
http://www.motherjones.com/politics...ct-bleeding-her-uniform-now-city-councilwoman

I don't get it either, since she says the guy was subdued and compliant. :confused: It sounds incredible. Guess we should sleuth the story and the judge. :cool:

I took the YouTube video down because of the language. But you can ask for a second opinion.

I will have to ask the Admins about a discussion about pass charges of police misconduct with the Ferguson police department since they are not being investigated.

LC, we can open one in the Parking Lot and link it here so posters can find it easily.

Please note: When that thread is opened all discussion regarding charges of police misconduct not related to the MB case must remain down there. Please be careful to not intermingle the downstairs discussion with this one.

Yeah, the language is horrific, but the locals talking make it worth listening to, IMO. I should have given a NSFW warning.

Hope this is ok, LambChop, remove if not.

I found the discussion very interesting particularly the first caller "Steve" who claims to have witnessed the shooting. If he is legitimate I hope that he has spoken to LE because he pretty much exonerates OW. When asked by the host if he thought the shooting was justified he replied that he did think it was justified. He closed out the call by saying he had some "footage" to show the host when he comes to Ferguson. Would be interesting to find out more about this guy. Does he have a video? Even with the colorful language it was refreshing to hear a different perspective from AA residents of that community. They were clearly embarrassed and outraged by the actions of the protesters.

I found the discussion very interesting particularly the first caller "Steve" who claims to have witnessed the shooting. If he is legitimate I hope that he has spoken to LE because he pretty much exonerates OW. When asked by the host if he thought the shooting was justified he replied that he did think it was justified. He closed out the call by saying he had some "footage" to show the host when he comes to Ferguson. Would be interesting to find out more about this guy. Does he have a video? Even with the colorful language it was refreshing to hear a different perspective from AA residents of that community. They were clearly embarrassed and outraged by the actions of the protesters.

Can someone please link me to this?
Is it downstairs? Can I get a direct link? Please?

:/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i went downstairs and couldn't find a thread.:thinking:

LC, we can open one in the Parking Lot and link it here so posters can find it easily.

Please note: When that thread is opened all discussion regarding charges of police misconduct not related to the MB case must remain down there. Please be careful to not intermingle the downstairs discussion with this one.

Can someone please link me to this?
Is it downstairs? Can I get a direct link? Please?

:/

Update: Guys, it will probably be tomorrow before I can open the PL thread. Lambchop had to sign off for the night. She gave me some good info but I need to talk to her again and get some specific links for the opening post. It might seem minor but it is important re. moderation, topical stuff. Thanks in advance for your patience.

The Parking Lot thread will be linked here as soon as it is opened. Until then, please stay on topic - Michael Brown, specifically.

So DOJ went back on their decision to investigate already? Serious question because I've been out of the loop for the day. I thought they came out and said they are investigating the FDP. I am sure there are some unhappy and pissed off people in Ferguson tonight. More rioting and looting?

ETA - Ok, I didn't find anything saying the DOJ did a 180 on their decision to investigate the FPD, so I'm assuming what you're talking about is that past charges of police conduct with the FPD deserves a thread of its own since it's a separate investigation apart from the investigation into this specific incident. Makes sense to me and might actually clean up this thread a bit. Thanks Mods.

I'm still listening. What's most interesting is the date of the show. It says the 10th. The day after the shooting. Before Josie.

For those who don't want to listen, the caller says he was on his balcony when heard a shot go off, so he looked up and saw MB with his torso inside the SUV. Then he thinks the officer kicked the door open or something, because MB took off running. The officer was firing shots as he was running away, but then MB came walking back towards the officer, and that's when the officer shot him down. He says he couldn't tell or remember whether or not MB had his hands up, but people say he did.

He still doesn't think it was justified, though.

I couldn't understand everything he said, so maybe someone else caught more. There was something about flip flops too.

He sounded a little strange when he offered to show the host the footage he has. Like he wasn't supposed to, maybe? Or maybe it was about the crowd he was complaining about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ANicholls16