MO - Grief & protests follow shooting of teen Michael Brown #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope the finding is not that when a minority attacks a white cop, just stand and take it or you'll be proscuted for it.

Now wouldn't some people love this. The wrong ones. And doesn't matter if LE is black, brown or white....(unintended consequences) imo.

But what if the cop had a site, and was posting country lyrics about guns and such. I can't help but think it would be brought up.
I'm not trying to argue, I just want all sides to have the same opportunities.
IMO, the question of lyrics is more gray than simple black and white.

If my kids ever posted them, I would disable their accounts. If they ever WROTE them, husband and I would launch a serious "internal investigation" of our own to see WTH is going on.

The problem is that, unfortunately, among so many otherwise good kids a lot of rap lyrics (NOT ALL, IMO) and "gangsta" wannabe posturing in social media is so ridiculously common that our reacting as if THOSE too are evidence that a kid has sunk to the depths of a (imo) cop assaulter like MB just looks unreasonable, reduces our credibility, and ZOMG Bombshell! Fatigue sets in.

It would be much more convincing to find, isolate, and focus on the lyrics he posted that are specific and truly chilling, like the one about his hands being ammo and others that have been out there for weeks. (!) Especially if he wrote them himself.

IMO, those are relevant, combined with the other things we know, to the extent that they show a propensity or pattern.

As for the hand-sign things :facepalm: the only thing that would be interesting to me would be a pattern of signs that showed a clear preference for a certain gang. Otherwise, as stupid as I think they look, there are just too many people across the spectrum posing with those hand things to make them valuable.

When even adults in Tea Party fund raisers are throwing them, fgs, they've lost their value as indicators of anything other than foolishness. :screwy:

"I fought the law and the law won" song seems to fit. Ditto "If I'd a shot you when I first wanted to, I'd be out of prison by now" and " I Still Miss You Baby, But My Aim's Gettin' Better."
:floorlaugh:

Please Keep On Topic

Thanks for this link.
Seeing the headline, I was afraid that the Ferguson events exploded during the night.
Seems, imo, article makes no connection between:
--- Ferguson (in St. L County) events of past several weeks and
---these deaths in St L City & crimes (at least one of which occurred in Creve Coeur in StLCounty) in past 24 hrs.

Is the point of link to say -- this is just another example of day-to-day violence in some parts of St L City,
Other crimes not getting MSM attn that Ferguson events have received?
Sincere question, not snarky. Thx in adv.

Is the point of link to say -- this is just another example of day-to-day violence in some parts of St L City,
Other crimes not getting MSM attn that Ferguson events have received?
Sincere question, not snarky. Thx in adv.

A woman was shot to death when a car just happened to pull up beside her while she was driving down I-70.

Yeah, that isn't a headline, it is just one of those everyday crimes that get grouped into a small article along with many other everyday crimes.

Well, when they do something like assault a store clerk and a police officer, you can be sure the fact that they post violent lyrics will be looked at. And rightly so, IMO.

Oh, I agree about the violent lyrics. I should have been clearer with my post. :blushing: I was just adding my :twocents: about how flashing gang signs is not always indicative of gang involvement. That's all. I probably should have kept my personal experiences to myself.

From link posted above:
"....what defense attorneys in the St. Louis area have come to call “poverty violations” — driving with a suspended license, expired plates, expired registration and a failure to provide proof of insurance...."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...t-louis-county-missouri-profits-from-poverty/

Admittedly some of ^these issues^ may be exacerbated by lack of funds. Not all.

Some would see these as driver-bad-judgment violations.
Does being poor cause drivers -
--Not to fasten seat belts
?
--Drive in excess of posted speed limit?
--Make improper turns?
--Fail to signal?
--etc.

How about just complying w traffic laws to avoid being stopped and cited for violations.
Or if you are cited, how about paying fine and/or showing up in court?
Admittedly, not always possible for the poor.

But some ppl, including the rich, have no respect for laws.

not see some of these as 'poverty violations' but perhaps stupid violations.
Does being poor cause drivers not to fasten seat belts?
What about operating the vehicle

And why does a person who is getting their paralegal degree, not know that skipping court brings one an arrest warrant?

I know that article was supposed to make me feel compassion but actually it just angered me a bit. Why does someone drive around unlicensed and unregistered, probably uninsured, with their little babies in the car?

And why does a person who is getting their paralegal degree, not know that skipping court brings one an arrest warrant?

I know that article was supposed to make me feel compassion but actually it just angered me a bit. Why does someone drive around unlicensed and unregistered, probably uninsured, with their little babies in the car?

Maybe uninsured cars/accruing fines was an accepted way of life in her family/community growing up, perhaps because of necessity but still the norm. The same reason MB might have felt he could walk down the middle of a public street, and ignore a sworn officer's order to move to the sidewalk. The old "everybody does it" thing.

It's against the law to drive suspended or revoked. Also driving without insurance is a big one in my opinion. If driving makes them break the law, then maybe they just shouldn't do it.

If Americans have the right to health insurance, the right to car insurance can't be far behind.

Whatever happened to holding people accountable instead of making excuses for them.

Maybe uninsured cars/accruing fines was an accepted way of life in her family/community growing up, perhaps because of necessity but still the norm. The same reason MB might have felt he could walk down the middle of a public street, and ignore a sworn officer's order to move to the sidewalk. The old "everybody does it" thing.

I've even seen people say that stealing the cigars and shoving the clerk was 'no big thing' and MB wouldnt have thought he was in trouble for that.

Just thinking that if people in the community want to have LE change their attitiudes, then perhaps the community needs a shift in attitude as well.

If you cant pay the speeding ticket, then make a deal with the court. Do community service, make a payment plan, or dont drive your car until u can pay. But just ignoring it, and letting it balloon, and turn into a warrant is the wrong way to go.

And that is not a racial thing. My son used to speed and got his teen license revoked and he had to work to pay the fine off. My husband wouldnt pay it for him. He had a payment plan. But he didnt jump in his car and drive anyway. That is a silly way to deal with the problem.

Also the lady, a single mom, complains about who is going to watch her 4 kids while she is in jail for her warrants. And I have to wonder why, if she could not afford to register her car, or pay a ticket, would she keep having more kids. I guess it is just a personal choice, but then you cant use them as an excuse when you choose to do it that way, imo

How about just complying w traffic laws to avoid being stopped and cited for violations.
Or if you are cited, how about paying fine and/or showing up in court?
Admittedly, not always possible for the poor.

But some ppl, including the rich, have no respect for laws.

I thanked your first post about seatbelts, but then you were overwhelmed with guilt and completely rewrote your original post.

If one can't afford a speeding ticket then the best idea is don't exceed the limit.

I will admit I was trying to speed 2 days ago, late for an appointment and driving down some backwoods highways; tip -- if you are going to try to exceed the speed limit on 2 lane highways don't do it while driving a retired police car, the folks in front of you will slow down.

"I fought the law and the law won" song seems to fit. Ditto "If I'd a shot you when I first wanted to, I'd be out of prison by now" and " I Still Miss You Baby, But My Aim's Gettin' Better."

hummm I fought the law released in 1966.:thinking: lol

Countless rap/hip-hop style songs explicitly singing about fighting against or killing LEO vs. ONE "country" song?

Nope, no correlation between mainstream popular music and violent crimes in certain demographics.

[h=1]APNewsBreak: Records show Missouri governor kept routine schedule days after police shooting[/h]
http://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2014/09/05/records-gov-nixon-kept-routine-after-shooting

Racial tension was immediately evident after Brown's shooting. A mostly white police force stood guard around Brown's body in the street that Saturday as hundreds of angry onlookers gathered in the predominantly black community. Some chanted: "Kill the police."

I didn't know THAT had happened ^ ^ ^ ^

One of Nixon's most outspoken critics has been local state Sen. Maria Chappelle-Nadal, a Democrat who was among the protesters tear gassed by police

Isn't she the <mod snip> that cussed on twitter? I didn't realize she got tear gassed :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raindrop413