MO - Grief & protests follow shooting of teen Michael Brown #23

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know, enough whining perhaps? Johnson mentioned it, along with a LOT of money grants going, I presume, to the poor, unheard masses living in Ferguson.

Emerson Electric gave $4M for something (HQ in Ferguson)
Centene gave $$$$$ (HQ in Clayton)
Express Scripts gave $$$$$$ (HQ at I70 & Hanley Rd)

respectfully, FPD hands are tied so to speak by the DOJ; MSHP is walking on egg shells as well as the StL County PD

it's almost a lose-lose situation IMHO

I understand what you're saying.

The DOJ cannot overstep it's charter, which is to investigate federal criminal cases and possible civil rights violations.

Attorney General Eric Holder can't interfere with St.L. County or FPD officers enforcing Missouri state criminal code. If LE in that area witnesses someone breaking the law, they have the authority to arrest that individual.

The molly-coddling of these violent hoodlums has been allowed to continue for far too long. When someone vandalizes a business, commits arson, threatens others with death or harm, attacks a police officer, burglarizes a business, they are not participating in lawful protesting that is protected by 1st Amendment rights of peaceable assembly. The DOJ cannot interfere with the ability of LE to arrest these criminals.

I think it's high time that AG Eric Holder speaks out against the lawlessness that's occurring in Ferguson, rather than seeming to give his implicit endorsement via his statement last month.

Capt. Johnson called on elected officials to take a stand. Holder needs to be first in line to do so, IMO.

I believe he was talking about carrying the flag upside down.

at the Cardinal protest outside Busch Stadium on Clark (may have been at the EJ Dome Sunday, too -- I didn't see her there though)

Johnson says he promises the families of law enforcement officers and of peaceful protesters that he will do everything he can to make sure they are protected. He also called on coalitions, clergy, leaders of national organizations, and political leaders to stand publicly for peace.

He says five people were arrested for failing to disperse. He believes one of those people is also facing assault and inciting a riot charges.

Johnson also spoke about the fire that destroyed the sidewalk memorial for 18-year-old Michael Brown. He said the fire started small enough to have been put out with a cup of water, but instead of acting, some people stood watching the fire for 11 minutes until police and firefighters arrived.

Chief Jackson released the following statement
"Towards the end of the City Council meeting it was reported that multiple gun shots were fired in the Canfield apartments area that intelligence suggest was initiated by misinformation about the fire at one of the Michael Brown memorial.

More: http://www.ksdk.com/story/news/loca...way-patrol-news-conference-ferguson/16142827/

KMOX St. Louis News @kmoxnews · 5m Missouri Highway Patrol Capt. Johnson: We cannot have nights like last night in #Ferguson. Those will not be tolerated.

KMOX St. Louis NewsVerified account ‏@kmoxnews
Missouri Highway Patrol Capt. Johnson: Last night a Molotov cocktail was thrown at a parking facility. We will not tolerate that behavior.

Newsflash to Capt. Johnson: You did and you do tolerate that behavior. That's the problem.

Get it, Capt. Johnson :woohoo:

"McCulloch added that his office is sharing information with federal authorities who are separately looking into whether Brown's civil rights were violated. "What we have they have, and what they have we have," he said."

So tonight's DOJ event focused on residents' encounters with Ferguson police could mainly be to troll for anything negative regarding OW, true or false, which will then be presented to the grand jury.

Oh, WOW, I would hope the DOJ is smarter than that. This is a great opportunity to find out what the complaints about LE really are and how much of it is real, or is it just perception. Talking to residents about encounters gives DOJ an opportunity to gather information and report on it later. Unless they feel someone has truly been a victim of police brutality, which would need to be investigated, I see them more as information gatherers. Thousands of citizens get stopped by officers a day. I doubt any of the officers receive a thank you note or a thumbs up from the person they just stopped. And many will feel they were unlawfully stopped regardless of who they are. jmo

Well if they have to sift through 20 bogus stories for every 1 legitimate story, isn't it worth it?

It is definitely worth it, but my point is that the current mindset is not conducive to a proper investigation. For example, if you are trying to get a group of kids to tell you how something happened, such as a broken piece of furniture, and they all stick to the same, unbelievable story, it is a waste of time. I also fear that the people who might be helped by this will not be able to get help because of the bullies who start yelling, screaming, and chanting at these meetings, preventing any and all real progress. Clearly, there is a need in this town. But at this time, until cooler heads prevail, there is just going to be a lot of wheel spinning. JMO.

Ferguson protesters vow to target MetroLink during Cardinals playoff games
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_284d4f6c-999e-5959-9919-acdc97fe7576.html
Vickers said protesters plan to purchase MetroLink tickets and take up all of the available seating on trains running to and from Busch Stadium during any local playoff games.

Does MetroLink issue only a given # of tix? (IDTS, because, IIRC, tix are non-time specific)
Also recalled reading - fairly uncommon that conductors check passengers for tix.
IOW, free-riding (without buying tix) is common.

IOW, little to prevent 'protesters' w. or w'out tix, from over crowding trains to keep out others going to the ballpark.

How many ppl ride on MetroLink to attend game?
How many ppl ride on MetroLink to get to work at ballpark itself or businesses close by, e.g. restaurants.

Is it poss or likely that targeting MetroLink will disrupt more ppl trying going to work than game attendees?
Any thoughts?

Oh, it's all on video.

yeah, I saw her outside Ballpark Village on Sunday night but didn't see her at the Dome earlier that day

No One on Clark was impressed with her or the other protesters Sunday Night -- they were not onsite very long

[h=1]Ferguson protesters vow to target MetroLink during Cardinals playoff games[/h]http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/ferguson-protesters-vow-to-target-metrolink-during-cardinals-playoff-games/article_284d4f6c-999e-5959-9919-acdc97fe7576.html

Vickers said protesters plan to purchase MetroLink tickets and take up all of the available seating on trains running to and from Busch Stadium during any local playoff games.

Ha. Like that's ever going to happen. Rams tix were available for only 7 Bucks each, and they still had to publicly beg for free tickets. And how many protestors were inside the stadium? About 10 or 20?

How many metro tix would they need to purchase to 'take up all available' seats? A few thousand. hahaha....these guys are delusional.

Remember how the 'shut down' the NFL game by hanging a few banners for a few seconds each time? :facepalm:

[h=1]Ferguson protesters vow to target MetroLink during Cardinals playoff games[/h]http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/ferguson-protesters-vow-to-target-metrolink-during-cardinals-playoff-games/article_284d4f6c-999e-5959-9919-acdc97fe7576.html

Nice that they have that kind of $$$ to toss around

I sure am . . . and I live >15 miles from Ferguson but we're preparing for a full on metro burning when ODW is not charged

99% of people in St. Louis and the surrounding area have no concerns and haven't been affected in any way by what's going on in Ferguson. I suspect the same will be true even after the GJ decision. They'll see it on the news and read it in the paper but otherwise, life will go on as always for nearly everyone. Now, the people in Ferguson which is what I think the OP was referring to is a different story. If I lived in Ferguson, no, I don't know that I'd want to stay around for the announcement. I suspect everyone will be more prepared this time and the national guard will be on stand by and close by if not actively deployed immediately.

Does MetroLink issue only a given # of tix? (IDTS, because, IIRC, tix are non-time specific)
Also recalled reading - fairly uncommon that conductors check passengers for tix.
IOW, free-riding (without buying tix)is common.

IOAW, little to prevent 'protesters' w. or w'out tix, from over crowding trains to keep out others going to the ballpark.

How many ppl ride on MetroLink to attend game?
How many ppl ride on MetroLink to get to work at ballpark itself or businesses close by, e.g. restaurants.

Is it poss or likely that targeting MetroLink will disrupt more ppl trying going to work than game attendees?
Any thoughts?

I use Metrolink but purchase a monthly pass but know how easy it is NOT to purchase tix & just ride (hopefully without being caught) -- not all trains have a monitor or whatever you'd call them checking tix

Honestly, work commuters (like me) never fill up one car let alone four cars (of the train) -- but on game days/nights it's PACKED; no way on God's Green Earth there are enough "protesters" to take up all the seats or standing areas

the only way the protesters would disrupt Metrolink is to lay on the track (both Nasheed & Vickers were arrested doing so in 2003)

One purchases tix & validates that tix right by the train stop, and there's no "set limit of tix" that I am aware of

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slowloris