MO - Grief & protests follow shooting of teen Michael Brown #23

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think he was talking about the ones breaking the law but some of the protestors (which is not against the law).

Capt. Johnson mentioned one of the locals calling for the burning down of the businesses/town.

It is a sad state of affairs when the police no longer do their sworn duty to keep dogs from urinating on memorials.Was this dog a resident of canfield green or was he an outside agitator? What color was this dog? Oh wait it was probley a police dog secretly trained to annoy,harass and make the protesters feel uncomfortable. Paws up-don't pee!

Because even a dog knows you do not leave burning candles unattended? Anybody get pics?

Because even a dog knows you do not leave burning candles unattended?

Maybe the dog was trying to put out the candles? So that, you know, they wouldn't catch the memorial on fire?

Capt. Johnson was pitch perfect imo.

Mostly, IMO. I'm glad someone asked him to clarify his "new day" comment and that he said there is a plan, and riot gear may be increased. I think the kids seeing officers in said gear is much less scary than hearing shots fired and helicopters circling, and watching their neighborhood be damaged and set on fire. As he'd said earlier, the officers' and thus the peaceful public's safety, is paramount.

His "crowd of peace" comment was off, IMO. Glad he later said there were over 100 agitators directly engaging LE, most locals he recognized, and then another 100 staying back, but acknowledged some bounced between the groups. I see all protestors in Ferguson as supporting the agitators just with their presence. As he alluded to, the peaceful ones left. If they, the coalitions and politicians want to show they don't stand for violence and threats, they need to say so (specifically, as in I don't support death chants, looting, attacking police) and not be a part of the events the haters are. At this point, the haters like Shahid and others lead the movement and are the closest circle to the family.

Overall, much better than before. I'm sure some of his conversation with lead chanter last night was to subtly warn her she might be arrested (for the 3rd time). But I'd advocate no more buying snacks or subtlety. When you feed the rioters, that's supporting them. When French retweets their rants and praises death chanters, he's supporting them. When Nadal sends people into the street to break the law and terrorize citizens, arrest her. Actively, in no uncertain terms, tell people you are violating the law and will be arrested, then do it.

Glad more facts are out. Hope the two officers injured heal soon, and the officers feel more able to do their job. If this happens again, I'd love for him to actively call out Shahid et al by name and act.

Erica Smith ‏@ericasmith 57s
"We will have conversations" about wearing wristbands, MSHP Capt. Ron Johnson says. #Ferguson

That's Cr@p! Any one of those PD could BE Darren Wilson. Either killed on duty, shot at or assaulted. Let them wear them. To assume it's only meant to piss off the protesters is BS. Any moron knows that cops will stand behind all cops that do their job, as they should. "We will have conversations" about wearing wristbands - whatevs.

Quite frankly, Johnson makes me want :puke:

I guess tonight will tell how much LE will be forced to put up with.

I agree.

I like how he was calling on local activists, civic leaders, clergy, and elected officials to stand publicly against the violence. I laughed when he said "local elected leaders" - I instantly thought of Maria Chappelle-Nadal.

I don't like how he refers to the looting, vandalism, and violence as "unpeaceful protesting". I think he needs to call it exactly what it is: violent criminal activity.

Personally, as the head of security for that area, I wanted to hear him take a much stronger stance against the violence than just stating that "it won't be tolerated". I think the thugs see him as weak due to the past 6 weeks of the hug-a- approach and very few arrests. I think that until a stronger stance is taken against the violence, the events of last night will continue and perhaps escalate.

If this was happening where I live, I'd be demanding that law enforcement make my community safe. I would be outraged that such a soft stance was being taken after 6 weeks of looting, vandalism, violence, and all-out mayhem.

[h=1]Ferguson protesters vow to target MetroLink during Cardinals playoff games[/h]http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/ferguson-protesters-vow-to-target-metrolink-during-cardinals-playoff-games/article_284d4f6c-999e-5959-9919-acdc97fe7576.html

Vickers said protesters plan to purchase MetroLink tickets and take up all of the available seating on trains running to and from Busch Stadium during any local playoff games.

[h=1]Ferguson protesters vow to target MetroLink during Cardinals playoff games[/h]http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/ferguson-protesters-vow-to-target-metrolink-during-cardinals-playoff-games/article_284d4f6c-999e-5959-9919-acdc97fe7576.html

Vickers said protesters plan to purchase MetroLink tickets and take up all of the available seating on trains running to and from Busch Stadium during any local playoff games.

As we know, Vickers works for Nasheed and was arrested prior to Michael's robbery, etc.

http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/...lls-public-meeting-wednesday-on-ferguson.html

DOJ meeting tonight on Ferguson police practices, plus invitations for attendees to speak individually with DOJ personnel about their experiences with Ferguson police, court system, etc. No mention of IDs being checked or media being banned. Toll-free number provided for those who don't attend.

IMHO, I do not see this being very helpful since we have seen that some of the residents there are willing to tell completely fabricated and highly inflammatory stories about LE. If it is just to appease the masses and give them a chance to be heard, I can't help but feel it is just going to stir others up. I hope they are prepared to sift through the manure and lies that they are setting themselves up to hear. I mean, if these people will publicly threaten, loot, and burn, then they will certainly fabricate some horror stories to further their "cause". JMO.

I also wish he'd said: One of the ways we can identify a peaceful gathering from a criminal one is whether it's held in the street. You don't get to stop free movement of peaceful citizens and commerce and call yourself peaceful.

Capt. Johnson mentioned one of the locals calling for the burning down of the businesses/town.

Capt. Johnson worked little nuggets of info like that all through his comments - mentioning that the MB "memorial" fire could have been doused by a cup of water but residents let it burn for 11 minutes - like the targeted businesses being the lifeblood of the community - about the bravery of the police officers - about the harmful effect of children the "protests" have caused - making note that Canfield Green residents weren't all of one type, i.e. miscreants, etc. His blackness really helped today, given the larger audience he was addressing, and he seemed completely sincere and unscripted to me.

That's Cr@p! Any one of those PD could BE Darren Wilson. Either killed on duty, shot at or assaulted. Let them wear them. To assume it's only meant to piss off the protesters is BS. Any moron knows that cops will stand behind all cops that do their job, as they should. "We will have conversations" about wearing wristbands - whatevs.

To be fair, they are not part of their uniforms. Years ago an officer could only wear a watch while on duty. Times may have changed but to be perfectly honest I would worry if my husband had one on that it would catch on something and slow down his reaction time should he be attacked. Maybe they could be allowed to wear a plain ribbon that would not interfere with their performance while on duty. I do believe LE have a right to show their solidarity if they are being investigated. jmo

I agree.

I like how he was calling on local activists, civic leaders, clergy, and elected officials to stand publicly against the violence. I laughed when he said "local elected leaders" - I instantly thought of Maria Chappelle-Nadal.

I don't like how he refers to the looting, vandalism, and violence as "unpeaceful protesting". I think he needs to call it exactly what it is: violent criminal activity.

Personally, as the head of security for that area, I wanted to hear him take a much stronger stance against the violence than just stating that "it won't be tolerated". I think the thugs see him as weak due to the past 6 weeks of the hug-a- approach and very few arrests. I think that until a stronger stance is taken against the violence, the events of last night will continue and perhaps escalate.

If this was happening where I live, I'd be demanding that law enforcement make my community safe. I would be outraged that such a soft stance was being taken after 6 weeks of looting, vandalism, violence, and all-out mayhem.

BBM

ITA. I liken this statement to a parent who tells their kid "Don't make me come in there!", all while they have their feet propped up, beer in hand, with no intention of moving from their comfortable recliner. Just enough to let the kid know they are present. JMO.

I also wish he'd said: One of the ways we can identify a peaceful gathering from a criminal one is whether it's held in the street. You don't get to stop free movement of peaceful citizens and commerce and call yourself peaceful.

I got that message, even if Capt. Johnson didn't explicitly mention "peace" or "peaceful". He said citizens should be able to go about their business without fear. Women should be able to go to the market unimpeded. Children shouldn't be afraid to return home on the school bus., etc.

I got that message, even if Capt. Johnson didn't explicitly mention "peace" or "peaceful". He said citizens should be able to go about their business without fear. Women should be able to go to the market unimpeded. Children shouldn't be afraid to return home on the school bus., etc.

Yes, but I'd specifically like him to call them out for being in the streets. Use that as a criteria, in the street, no permit, etc so those who want to appear peaceful can no longer target drivers without acknowledging what message they're sending.

To be fair, they are not part of their uniforms. Years ago an officer could only wear a watch while on duty. Times may have changed but to be perfectly honest I would worry if my husband had one on that it would catch on something and slow down his reaction time should he be attacked. Maybe they could be allowed to wear a plain ribbon that would not interfere with their performance while on duty. I do believe LE have a right to show their solidarity if they are being investigated. jmo

My first thought was that the DW band would make the officer more of a target. Ditto a ribbon or any other overt show of support on duty.

Yes, but I'd specifically like him to call them out for being in the streets.

I think protest leaders got that message loud and clear today. It's on them if they ignore it, because I don't think further road-blocking/cars-surrounding shenanigans will be tolerated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garc